Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, I think one of the misconceptions that white people have about reparations is that its supposed to be some kind of lump sum to say "sorry about slavery"

It's not. Reparations would have to be, at least, a multi-generational investment in every level of infrastructure in black communities.

Can you put a rough dollar value on this in today's dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm going to assume you meant a rough dollar value in terms of realistic modern reparations and give you an actual serious answer, and I would guess we could spend something on the order of 50 to 200 billion dollars on a broad program of black education, homeownership, job programs, decriminalization, and other myriad programs, and probably make a sizeable dent in black poverty without breaking the bank. That's relatively speaking a lot of money, but it's not some absurdly huge amount the US Government couldn't afford. For a frame of reference, that would be the equivalent of five to twenty aircraft carriers. We don't need more aircraft carriers. We need black people to have a future they can believe in.

Edit: For the sake of clarity, by "decriminalization," I mean the process of getting non-violent offenders and victims of three strikes/mandatory minimums, etc., etc., out of the system and reintegrated into society.

I suppose I was thinking of a debt-pricing approach. I'm curious if anyone has done the math on what the inflation and interest-adjusted value of slavery is/was over its lifetime existence in the US.

• Locked thread