Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Dicere posted:

Hi, Negrotown. I was wondering if anyone had some data for the intersection of class and race in fatal police encounters. It appears from some affluent black people's self-reported experience that class doesn't insulate a POC from stop and frisk applications (especially when in unfamiliar locations or locations whose police employ the tactic), but I can't find any numbers (though I've heard some secondhand) on how that plays out in police killings. Perhaps that's because it's difficult to find reliable data. Apologies if this has been discussed already, I tried looking though the thread, but couldn't find anything.

I have one that has a Bayesian analysis on race but not class:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0141854

quote:

The results provide evidence of a significant bias in the killing of unarmed black Americans relative to unarmed white Americans, in that the probability of being {black, unarmed, and shot by police} is about 3.49 times the probability of being {white, unarmed, and shot by police} on average. Furthermore, the results of multi-level modeling show that there exists significant heterogeneity across counties in the extent of racial bias in police shootings, with some counties showing relative risk ratios of 20 to 1 or more.

Given that the data set is stratified by county you may be able to do additional modeling to reach conclusions about how income per county correlates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I think a lot of Silicon Valley companies know a surprising bit about the systems of inequality that strip opportunities from minorities. I think they also conveniently plan any work to fix it as very low priority because they don't give a poo poo.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Panfilo posted:

I know people have already mentioned that racism, much like sexism, isn't a rational stance to take and even in a capitalistic environment companies will lose out on millions to maintain their white supremacist attitudes. But I'm surprised that you wouldn't have some particularly poc-friendly companies that focus in hiring brilliant and talented people screwed over in other companies because of their skin color. I had thought silicon valley was all about poaching talent from other companies and I would think hiring disenfranchised google/Facebook/apple/etc employees would give them a talent pool neglected by the rest of the tech sector.

I definitely do think this does occur in the Tech sector. I know my company has invested pretty deeply into Women, LGBTQIA, and PoC initiatives to try to hire minority talent that, above all else, just wants a place to work at that isn't an actively prejudicial shitpile. No matter how cynical I want to be about their actual motivations, I think it does help give minority talent a better environment to work in. The main problem with poaching talent from other places though is that you're not creating net new talent and you're mostly going to be aiming at more senior positions. Coincidentally, you will find that pretty much every single one of these places that has all of these initiatives still has a 4 year degree requirement for entry level software engineering positions. That alone will block more new talent from ever getting in the door than they can ever hope to poach.

Edit: Also this was brought up recently at Slack discussion at work, and someone indicated that H1-B visa processes strongly encourage requiring a degree for computer programmers as it makes it harder to argue for hiring foreign instead of domestic talent if the position doesn't require a degree: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/nativedocuments/PM-6002-0142-H-1BComputerRelatedPositionsRecission.pdf . Essentially, if your job doesn't require a specific sort of degree, it's harder to argue that it is a specialized field that enables the field to be more easily filled by an H1-B visa holder.

So at least in this regard, immigrant equality and US citizen minority equality are almost directly pitted against each other in terms of how opportunities are generated.

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 16, 2017

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Ed: wrong thread

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

My local UWSA group posted this about the latest #MeToo movement which I found to be a very informative read:

http://www.ebony.com/news-views/black-woman-me-too-movement-tarana-burke-alyssa-milano

quote:

“Where was the boycott for ESPN sports journalist Jemele Hill when her employer suspended her from her job citing a vague social media policy?” Ford wrote in an essay for Refinery29. “Where was the boycott when actress and comedian Leslie Jones was harassed by trolls to the point of deleting her account for months?”

Ford’s speculations were spot-on. The outrage simply wasn’t there for the Black women who were put in vulnerable positions by rich White men. White women have either have yet to realize or simply choose not to acknowledge there is a common thread between the oppressive powers of the misogyny imposed on McGowan and the White apathy that suppressed Hill’s voice.

• Locked thread