Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

I'm so white nurses have complimented me on how easy it is for them to find a vein and I just want to say I love this thread and the posters in it. My partner is an American Latina sociologist and my experience is limited to spending my childhood in a country where I was a visible minority. Having to develop a whole new understanding when we started dating was a struggle and this thread helps me learn and understand things I didn't previously.

Thanks for posting and I'll go back to the lurker's corner now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

JFairfax posted:

She is indian, they're totally fine with a caste system
Let's smear a billion people based on an article some trumplet wrote? C'mon now.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

negromancer posted:

India is horrifically racist against black people.

I've traveled there with my mom for work and she had to fire someone on her first trip because they refused to accept that she was their boss and was disrespectful as gently caress.

Their caste system + Gandhi's words on black people + American media is a triple whammy of anti-blackness that's just as deep in their culture as it is here.
All of what you said is true, I have had so many experiences with racism in India that I've honestly lost count and I'm definitely not trying to pretend this woman isn't a sack of poo poo, or in any way excuse or diminish how disgracefully they treated your mother and other black people.

It just would have left a sour taste in my mouth if I saw something like that written somewhere and not at least say something.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is it an extension of the caste stuff, or something else?
Disclaimer, this is just from my observations after 20 years of off-and-on being in India and may not be accurate at all.

From what I understand, caste. As a non-Hindu you are the worst of all things, a mleccha, non-vedic, casteless, even worse than a sudra. Which in a culture that places (nowadays) a heavy emphasis on correct caste, marrying outside of that is even worse than marrying the "wrong" caste. On top of that Indian society is heavily patriarchal, with a strong bent toward the idea that you don't just marry the person, you marry the family, with a lot of pressure from your relatives to marry arranged. Even today it's frighteningly common for young people who have what is called a "love marriage" (as opposed to an arranged one) to have to cut off contact with their families entirely or risk the very real chance of having their spouse, themselves, or both of them get murdered.

There's probably a lot more I could write but I don't want to derail a good thread into caste system chat.

• Locked thread