Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I say the only time Belichick has ever used compliments like the ones in trump's fake letter is when he was talking about Ed Reed.

COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG BUDDY

https://twitter.com/RyanHannable/status/795822857460809728
https://twitter.com/RyanHannable/status/795824644502786049
(this Trump thing is hilarious because he knows it won't be vetted until people have already voted)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Spoeank posted:

COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG BUDDY

https://twitter.com/RyanHannable/status/795822857460809728
https://twitter.com/RyanHannable/status/795824644502786049
(this Trump thing is hilarious because he knows it won't be vetted until people have already voted)

One might call it a Belichick-ian move.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If you want to hear Belichick gush about something ask him about special teams, I thought we had already confirmed this

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it's offsides unabated to the quarterback. they blew it dead and gruden literally talked about how sherman didn't hear the whistle

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

It's still roughing.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I wonder if he'll issue a statement

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

gently caress it even says in the tweet embedded after the first paragraph in your stupid link

https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/795827032378613760

what exactly do you think he means by "the play was shut down"

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

hifi posted:

gently caress it even says in the tweet embedded after the first paragraph in your stupid link

https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/795827032378613760

what exactly do you think he means by "the play was shut down"

Among their fuckups seems to have been a late whistle. Unless there's something we cant hear on the television broadcast, they swallowed that thing until waaaaay too late.

https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/795866665938337792

Statement from the referee.

Intruder posted:

Jumping offside and then murdering the opposing kicker is the new market inefficiency

Source your stolen tweets like a good hombre!!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jumping offside and then murdering the opposing kicker is the new market inefficiency

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If only unnecessary roughness was a common, better known call

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if he didn't know the play clock was at like 5 seconds then why didnt he just not call the penalty???

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this is a badass article, read it instead of thinking critically about football http://www.theplayerstribune.com/marquette-king-raiders-can-i-kick-it/

quote:

I’m standing back there getting ready for the snap, and I’m so nervous. Then the Cowboys are getting set to rush the punt, and all of a sudden I see one of their linebackers looking at me funny.

He yells out, “Yo, what is this?”

He’s pointing at me. Then he’s waving to his teammates. I’m just confused.

Then he yells, “A black punter? It’s a fake! Yo, it’s a fake!”

I just start laughing. That kills all my nerves, and I finally relax and boom it 57 yards for a fair catch.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's still roughing.

ROUGHING/RUNNING INTO THE KICKER

No defensive player may run into or rough a kicker who kicks from behind the line unless such contact:

is incidental to and occurs after the defender has touched the kick in flight
is caused by the kicker’s own motions
occurs during a quick kick or a rugby-style kick
occurs during or after a run behind the line
occurs after the kicker recovers a loose ball on the ground
occurs because a defender is pushed or blocked (causing a change of direction) into the kicker
is the result of a foul by an opponent

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

foot posted:

Unexpected hits away from the play are textbook unnecessary roughness.

When the quarterback leaves the pocket he is considered a runner, hence the receivers become run blockers until the ball is in the air. Tyrod Taylor left the pocket, as he and the Seattle quarterback are both want to do, therefore the receiver is a run blocker and Sherman is able to legally deliver a hit. Sherman himself wrote an editorial on this several years ago which I won't be linking since I am posting on a phone; hopefully another kind soul can guide you to it. It is a smart football play and the kind of thing that all zone schemes should focus on doing due to the prevalence of mobile quarterbacks in this league.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mr.Citrus posted:

No defensive player may run into or rough a kicker who kicks from behind the line unless such contact:

occurs because a defender is pushed or blocked (causing a change of direction) into the kicker

have you watched football before this year? that is a completely wrong interpretation of that line.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think someone should fart in Pete's mouth personally

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

News: https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/795854955538038784

Owns. I think there's a picture floating around that shows him flipping Sherman the bird.

Views: Would a player get a fine/flag for calling a coach an rear end in a top hat?????

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mr.Citrus posted:

The sheer act of trying to kick the football does not count or roughing would be impossible outside of hitting a dude with a chair.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

hifi posted:

have you watched football before this year? that is a completely wrong interpretation of that line.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The sheer act of trying to kick the football does not count or roughing would be impossible outside of hitting a dude with a chair.

Yes.

That's not what the rules said. By the rules, its just offsides, but by all means continue to be mad.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No, dig up

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Mr.Citrus posted:

Yes, the kicker's own motion of having a leg that stands in the same spot, known as the plant leg, is what caused Richard Sherman to dive into the kicker's plant leg.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mr.Citrus posted:

Yes.

That's not what the rules said. By the rules, its just offsides, but by all means continue to be mad.

have you watched football before this year?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It's weird that the VP of officiating of the NFL feels that it should have been a 15 yard penalty, and mr citrus does not. A real quandary

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It wasn't roughing the kicker anyway since he was unabated. It was unnecessary roughness.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr.Citrus posted:

Yes.

This is not the way that rule has ever been interpreted and the refs are not citing the rule in their defense. It's almost like that wording is in there to prevent a kicker from walking or hopping into a hit after the kick trying to draw a penalty.

Also who cares? The correct call was a late hit unsportsmanlike.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Personally I love when people who never post in TFF come in to tell everyone how poo poo works

I don't go into your Titanfall thread and tell you how to play video games in 2014

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Yeah, I've got nothing on that FG, Sherm should've been flagged for sure and there shouldn't be anyone defending it. Blowing up the receiver on the last play was well within the rules, though.

If it makes y'all feel any better we're gonna get loving mashed @NE on Sunday night wooooooooo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

It's weird that the VP of officiating of the NFL feels that it should have been a 15 yard penalty, and mr citrus does not. A real quandary

The VP of Officiating also thinks happiness and joy interfere with football's integrity. :shrug:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Rich was just falling in the direction of the left of the football really it's Carpenters fault for trying to kick it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mr.Citrus posted:

Yes.

What the rules do not say that.

That was my whole point.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Chichevache posted:

The VP of Officiating also thinks happiness and joy interfere with football's integrity. :shrug:

Similarly, Mr citrus roots for the Seattle Seahawks

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

Rich was just falling in the direction of the left of the football really it's Carpenters fault for trying to kick it

Chichevache posted:

He was diving towards where most blocked kicks are blocked, a foot or two in front of the spot it is held at. If you dive exactly at the ball as it is being kicked you're usually going to get there a second after the ball left. If you dive in front you usually intersect with the balls flight path. The problem is Sherman misstimed the kick and ended up getting there early. I absolutely agree that it is a penalty. I do not think it was malicious, especially since Sherman has no history of malicious hits or dirty shots. Yes, he is a player who breaks the rules often by holding or interfering, but he's definitely not in the camp of Brandon Merriweather or James Harrison.

Considering the nature of the sport I think the benefit of the doubt should be in order unless the player has a history of illegal and dirty shots. Sherman hasn't made a career out of tearing ACLs or inflicting concussions; he's famous for intelligent play that often bends and breaks the rules, but doesn't endanger careers and health. The guy even writes articles condemning the league for its lip service to player safety. I don't see why he should immediately be thrown into the same category as Vontaze Burfict.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Manoueverable posted:

Yeah, I've got nothing on that FG, Sherm should've been flagged for sure and there shouldn't be anyone defending it. Blowing up the receiver on the last play was well within the rules, though.

If it makes y'all feel any better we're gonna get loving mashed @NE on Sunday night wooooooooo

Eh it's no big deal, if y'all just accepted it and moved on this wouldn't even be a thing.

Instead of going full JFK on it.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 8, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Unless you're Chichevache Citrus I wasn't making fun of you :colbert:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Spoeank posted:

This was something actually said by Sherman.

"[Carpenter] should have not kicked it, you know?" he told ESPN's Lisa Salters after the game.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh it's no big deal, if y'all just accepted it and moved on this wouldn't even be a thing.

Sure, it should have been a penalty.

Other Hawks fans on the board, quote this if you agree and we can all move on and not talk about this tomorrow.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The spot Sherman dove at would have been roughing the kicker no matter what unless he actually succeed in blocking it which is a decent gamble to take on a 50+ yard field goal I guess

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

Unless you're Chichevache Citrus I wasn't making fun of you :colbert:

Sorry, I just posted that in the GDT and decided it would be better served here.

Intruder posted:

The spot Sherman dove at would have been roughing the kicker no matter what unless he actually succeed in blocking it which is a decent gamble to take on a 50+ yard field goal I guess

Lots of blocked kicks end with a kicker falling on his rear end. :shrug:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

On special teams you don't usually respond to a 50+ yard FG attempt with an "either I successfully block this or eat a 15 yard penalty" approach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So why are we not talking about Randy Moss

• Locked thread