Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

whypick1 posted:

Bills definitely got screwed, but my team did win because of it, so....:shrug:

Jonathan Fisk posted:

gently caress the NFL

But still gently caress the ryan brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's sad that there isn't like... a forum for political discussion or anything and the only outlet you people have is in the football news thread. :smith:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chichevache posted:

Ban Tom Brady, Bill Belly, and Rex Ryan for off-topic conversations, please.

4-game suspension to every athlete that publicly endorsed a candidate unless it was Vermin Supreme.

Intruder posted:

Do you nod silently to yourself when athletes make political stances and talking heads tell them to stick to sports?

Yup. Because I really don't care what a multi-millionaire that's good at something unrelated to politics, economics, or social welfare thinks.

Also mostly because I've been using football as a way to hide from the complete and utter insanity that has been this election cycle.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 9, 2016

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Intruder posted:

Our new president has firsthand experience in killing football leagues, there it's sports related :v:

1. Goodell takes lessons from the Trump school of management(tm)
2. NFL gets run into the ground in a year instead of 5.
3. We finally get a new league with new broadcast contracts that aren't suicidally stupid and locked in for 50 years or whatever.

I mean, we can dream, right? :smithicide:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They used to pull all kinds of awesome tricks.

In 1903, an Indian team coached by Pop Warner first employed its infamous "hidden-ball play" against heavily favored Harvard. Warner, as coach at Cornell, had already used it against Penn State in 1897, but it had not achieved much notice. Carlisle led Harvard at halftime, and hoping to keep the game's momentum, Warner elected to try the play on the ensuing kickoff. Harvard executed the kick, and the Indians formed a circle around the returner. With the aid of a specially altered jersey, the ball was placed up the back of the returner. The Indians broke the huddle and spread out in different directions. Each player feigned carrying the ball, except Dillon, the man with the ball up the back of his jersey. The ruse confused the Crimson players, and they scrambled to find the ball carrier. Dillon, with both his hands free, was ignored by the searching Harvard players, and he ran unmolested into the end zone. With the score, Carlisle extended its lead to 11–0, but Harvard came back and eventually won 12–11. Nevertheless, the close match, and trick play, resulted in national attention.[2][4] Warner had learned the trick from John Heisman while facing Auburn in 1895 during his tenure as coach of the Georgia Bulldogs.[5]

Anyone know of a good football history podcast or something? Like a football Dollop or something. Cause I need more poo poo like this in my life.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OBR posted:

Every thread i've looked today in TFF looks to have the same amount of race war talk as a containment thread for racist refugee haters on a finnish board. I came here to read about Zimmer passing on kicker tryouts, not C-SPAM.

Evidently the fact that a celebrity supported a candidate other than Clinton means that every thread is a politics thread and kill whitey and here's my fantasy of finally getting to kill my boss because he's white and that's cool now.

Oh and also supporting a candidate other than Clinton should be punished by grevious bodily harm, etc etc. :rolleyes:

Give it a week or two and everyone will get back to just having a few posters talking about their obsessive hatred of a team for being good.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shinjobi posted:

https://twitter.com/GreshsBadCliche/status/796032666491613184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Has anyone bitched about deflategate 2 yet? Can we? I'd rather be sad/mad about something else, even if it is bullshit.

Article on Eli's TOTALLY NOT CHEATING GAME BALLS posted:

Joe Skiba, will pounce: “Get away, those are Eli’s game balls.”

Skiba added: “No one is allowed to touch those balls. They’re precious jewels. Too much work has gone into them.”

And not just for the "no one is allowed to touch Eli's balls" quote :laugh: But, you know, if specifically sanding down/weathering balls for extra grip and the dozen other things some teams that totally don't cheat do are fine, I figure giving the punter a chance to pin the other guys deep isn't that much of a problem.

The irony in this is that even with all that princess ball-modification bullshit Eli can't throw to save his life.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh this is people's lives freaking out is kind of apt.

Literally nothing will change. The rich will still be rich, the poor will still be poor, and the dwindling middle class will still be hosed 6 ways from sunday.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

blue squares posted:

Having football on again is going to make everything feel normal again. Unless the Browns win, which would be a sign of the apocalypse.

Cleveland wins in a shutout. 2 seconds before the game ends, a rogue black hole collides with the sun and ends everything we know. Bet on it.

Boosh! posted:

Can't believe he hasn't been jumped yet in the locker room. Ballsy, I give him that.

That would require someone else in that locker room having the physical strength and enough care for the Jets to do it. No one wants to be there. Not even the mascot.

E: No seriously, it must suck being a Jet. It's not like being a Brown, where everything sucks and no one's really expected to win poo poo. So you just kinda show up and hang out and maybe toss the ball around, but it's all cool. But the Jets, man. They're going hardcore at it and have a ridiculous fanbase that expects them to be good. So you show up and get yelled at. And you get pushed to perform your best. But in the end of the day, you have no QB, stillborn play-calling, and poo poo-all for prospects, so the only reason you really *play* is cause maybe some other team will offer to trade for you/you can head out in FA and get a decent contract with another team. But for now, you're stuck going into the locker room filled with despair, through fans that all actively hate you for not somehow carrying the entire team on your back, and an organization that buys its own hype.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 10, 2016

• Locked thread