Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Syrian Lannister posted:

Dad chat talking about dark and stormy's and Mosocow Mules is making me salivate.

hell man i was at dinner last night with friends who know i'm sober

they were drinking chocolate stout and the insane part of my brain was still saying to me drat that looks really good surely one would be ok

i drank a bunch of elderberry flavoured soda instead and didn't throw away the last 12 months of hard work

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Couple days ago I realized my refill bottle of dish soap had a faint smell of scotch and it brought be back. On a big kick of San Pellegrino Orange and good ginger beers right now. Canada Dry and Seagrams tastes like crap in comparison.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Couple days ago I realized my refill bottle of dish soap had a faint smell of scotch and it brought be back. On a big kick of San Pellegrino Orange and good ginger beers right now. Canada Dry and Seagrams tastes like crap in comparison.

It's loving crazy how little it takes to bring it all back.
At a meeting a while ago an older gent told a story of a good friend of his who was 40 years sober and got alzheimers. His mind went, then someone offered him a beer at christmas so he drank it (since he'd forgotten what he was)
The next day the gent got a call from his friend begging him to bring more beer to him. 40 years sober and it got him as easily as that.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Two weeks of sobriety

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

one of us one of us

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Deathy McDeath posted:

Two weeks of sobriety

Grats

e Holidays are going to be hard for me; today being no exception.

Drank way too much soda to compensate...

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 25, 2016

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

maffew buildings posted:

I can in no way relate because I only drank in the most destructive fashion possible and have a hard time understanding there is any other way. Namaste, brothers

Same and I gave up drinking for like 4 years and now I've started drinking again and it's destroying my life

:cool:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
48 hours so far cigarette free. I stretched my last pack for 5 days almost, and now I'm totally abstinent from the cancer sticks.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
If you don't count weed I've been sober for years.

We counting weed?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Still not committing fully, but had a nice week with the folks. Had a saison on Tuesday and grabbed a pint of Bulleit for Friday and Saturday which I sipped on while catching up with mom. Probably least I've drank in a week since 2012. Baby steps.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Still not committing fully, but had a nice week with the folks. Had a saison on Tuesday and grabbed a pint of Bulleit for Friday and Saturday which I sipped on while catching up with mom. Probably least I've drank in a week since 2012. Baby steps.

Let's not worry about new years dude. Do it the way I do - try get through one day sober.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
A month this week.

Holidays suck. Divorce sucks. Finalization of divorce near the holidays loving sucks.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Syrian Lannister posted:

A month this week.

Holidays suck. Divorce sucks. Finalization of divorce near the holidays loving sucks.

loving proud of u bro

staying sober through hard times has loving sucked but i've never been sorry i didn't pick up

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Syrian Lannister posted:

A month this week.

Good job man. It'll be a month for me on Sunday.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

48 hours so far cigarette free. I stretched my last pack for 5 days almost, and now I'm totally abstinent from the cancer sticks.

My parents quit cold turkey 20 years ago or so, and they still crave them occasionally.

Keep it up Shim

Deathy McDeath posted:

Good job man. It'll be a month for me on Sunday.

Grats buddy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Sober is cool if you can't not gently caress up your life when getting loaded. Going to AA, getting involved and working the steps has had fantastic results for my life.

I do however regret that I stopped smoking cigarettes

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

maffew buildings posted:

I do however regret that I stopped smoking cigarettes

I regret it once every few months. I cure this by bumming a smoke off a friend, take one drag then spend the next 20 minutes coughing and wondering how I smoked a pack and a half of cloves a day for 20 years.

JFC..

The booze was easier since I was never a beer fan and lost my taste for most liquor. But a bartender makes a good Vodka Collins around me:

So uh... been completely off the drink since 07.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

goddamn dude that's loving amazing well done

i'm stoked to have made my first year sober and looking forward to the second

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Grats GT.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Honestly I truly quit in 03. But I had a couple batchelor parties and best man at a wedding trips thrown in.

And dated a girl who made it her birthday request to see me get drunk because... Well she was a loving idiot. So I had a hand full of 1 night benders from 04-07.

Not to be a dick or anything but..

Honestly.. It hasn't really made a difference being sober. Other than I can remember how lovely I feel and can't blame everything falling apart on the booze. So now I just have to admit that I am a terrible and broken person.

Also.. I didn't quit smoking on purpose. I had a seizure or TIA in the middle of the night one night. Woke up the next day, took a drag off my morning smoke and realized I couldn't do it anymore. Quit pretty much there and used an e-cig for the mental habit for about 2 weeks.

With both, I still feel the desires. Smoking is easy since I literally can't do it any more. My lungs basically scream "gently caress that" and I feel like I am going to vomit both my lower intestine and lungs out while coughing. The booze is harder. I want to start drinking again, but I don't know what I can since my stomach turns at so much of it now. I use to drink whiskey like it was my loving job. Now I can't even smell the stuff. Beer for the most part either tastes like rear end (heavy darks) or burro piss (anything labeled cerveza usually). And since I'm not a 19 year old white girl, I don't do anything that looks like a mistake from the Willy Wonka factory (pick a schnapps, any schnapps). So thats pretty much how I have stayed dry.

Its hard when I have to deal with family. Or work. Or the neighbors. Or my insomnia. Or the sun. Or the loving barking dogs in my head. Keeping vodka and lemon juice out of the house helps. A lot. If you really want to sober up, you start by getting all of the booze out of the house. :effort: is like 95% of it. The harder it is to get a drink, the less likely it is that you will fall off the wagon. I won't lie to you. AA is for loving suckers and most of the "councilors hate this guy, quit drinking with this one neat trick" poo poo is stupid. Get the booze out of the house, stop hanging around your alcoholic friends, and don't work at an ABC. The rest is little poo poo that only you can do because its controlling your own triggers.

Speaking of triggers. For the first 6 or so months, surrender your firearms to your friends. Its best you find out that you are suicidal when sober with out having the 7th Cav's armory in your house. Also, if you have a nurse/doctor/medical friend, you might consider renting their services for a couple weeks. Mostly their medical services but if they offer a 2 for 1er... I won't judge. While just having anyone there to check in on you when you go through the shakes and "everything hurts and I'm dying" stage is a good idea, you might send a non pro into a panic, or need actual medical attention and they not know that. I don't know how bad a drinker any of y'all are. So that might be excessive. But if any of you are in a McNally style situation and self medicate at the rate I imagine one would need to for that.... You probably need to do inpatient, so at least have a friend.

Not going to lie. Sober is the worst god drat way to face the world.

Like seriously..

Its really bad.

I usually spend about 2 hours a day just sitting on the edge of my bed seriously considering ending my life. Then I have sporadic moments through out the day that I consider jumping in front of a bus. Drinking might not help. But if I'm too drunk to load a gun or properly tie off an exit bag, it effectively works the same. Anyone who tells you that getting off the sauce will help is lying. Drying out is essentially the reverse of developing a drinking problem. Instead of fixing a problem (drinking) you are replacing it with another (facing your lovely life sober). And if you were drinking to avoid facing all the friends who opted out of life early, or all the hosed up poo poo you have seen, or all the hosed up poo poo you went through like I did.... You now have to actually deal with that.

Therapy, brain meds, suicide hotlines... None of it works. None of it helps.

So just be aware of the potential issues and plan accordingly. Or you will go right back to your vice and think you are a failure. Realize, sometimes failing is saving you from a worse fate. You can always try again later when you aren't a gigantic ball of hosed up.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

If AA is for suckers then I'm king idiot, something happened with the steps that made me not hate myself. Different strokes, etc. I don't think there's any sense telling anyone their way is wrong if it works for them

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

E: never mind.

Yea its different for everyone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

If AA is for suckers then I'm second idiot, something happened with the steps that made me not hate myself.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yo this isn't super relevant to this thread but I finished paying off the last of the debt I drank myself into over the years today. Feels good.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Grats.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Well, I'm out guys. I'm spending a week in Mexico and broke after a month and a half.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

you had 9 days to go :(

do the haka on video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5cHElD5cf8

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Month and a half this week.

I made it to Feb last year.

e. I'm too white and uncoordinated to attempt the haka

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Three years in just...two weeks. Been dreaming about drinking a lot lately, but that goes with the season. Dying for a cigarette.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Three years in just...two weeks. Been dreaming about drinking a lot lately, but that goes with the season. Dying for a cigarette.

The dreams are the loving worst.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I guess I just wanna say stay strong brothers. I've never had to deal with it because I never became an alcoholic, somehow miraculously because my dad and all his family are hardcore alcoholics. I used to drink into oblivion when I was in Germany, but then I just kind of stopped when I got back to the states. I don't know what it's like but I'm rooting for ya.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Mike-o posted:

I guess I just wanna say stay strong brothers. I've never had to deal with it because I never became an alcoholic, somehow miraculously because my dad and all his family are hardcore alcoholics. I used to drink into oblivion when I was in Germany, but then I just kind of stopped when I got back to the states. I don't know what it's like but I'm rooting for ya.

To be fair..

Its a custom to drink yourself blind while in Germany.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah it'd be rude not to

german beer is goddamned amazing too

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Over it's history Germany has had many traditions, some of which are better left as relics of a by gone time

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Over it's history Germany has had many traditions, some of which are better left as relics of a by gone time

so good things from germany:

killing jews
drinking heaps of great beer
making efficient diesels

goldbaren
chocolate

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Two Finger posted:

so good things from germany:

killing jews
drinking heaps of great beer
making efficient diesels

goldbaren
chocolate

Nurburgring
Sabine Schmitz

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Nurburgring is dope as gently caress, I'll grant you that.
If you haven't already you should go do it - take your credit card but it loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Divorce finalized today. Merry Christmas

I signed up for a bunch of open half shifts this week so I wouldn't hit a bottle and to try and keep my mind off it.

• Locked thread