Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Hello goonlings and welcome to the 2016 Tangled Up in Books Secret Santa!

Sound fun?
If you're interested, read this whole post. Then you can sign up by posting in this thread and PMing me or emailing tuibss2016@gmail.com. When you post in the thread, please list the kinds of books you're interested in, and link your goodreads profile or whatever. This subforum tends to discuss fiction, but all kinds of books are good. You should also say if an e-book or audiobook present is okay, and if so, what equipment you've got. Your Santa may be a luddite like me, so be explicit. I don't know how gifting ebooks/audiobooks works internationally, so you must be willing to accept a physical present.

You must also PM or email me with the following information:
Username:
Real Name: I'll need to tell your Santa your real name and address.
Address: If you're in a non-English speaking country, please send me your address in both English and your local language.
Postage: Unless you say anything here, I'll match people up based on region (i.e. North America, Europe, East Asia, etc.) to reduce postage costs and time.
Anything else: Anything else I or your Santa might need to know?

(Edit: It's there to say if you have any special situation regarding shipping, e.g. "I'm rich and can ship anywhere in the world", "I've got an Asian fetish and wanna post to the Orient", "I'm broke, can only post in my country". If you don't say anything there, I'll match people up based on general geographical areas, which are probably going to be "North America", "Europe", and "East Asia", but will ultimately depend on who signs up. I'm going to try to keep people relatively close together for faster, cheaper postage. If that's cool with you, no need to say anything.)

Once I've got your email/PM, I'll reply to confirm – no confirmation email means you're not in the Secret Santa! You have until Monday, November 21st, to sign up. Please bookmark the thread to stay posted. On Thursday, November 24th, I'll email you with your match's information. That's Thanksgiving Day, so hopefully you'll be able to grab a bargain in the sales. You must post your present by December 9th, but please check shipping times to your match's address and post it earlier if necessary. After you post it, let me know you've sent it and take a photo of the shipping receipt so I know you're not some loser who never sent anything. Postage on time and in good condition is your responsibility.

After you get your present, post in the thread so I know you've got it. If you haven't got a present by December 13th, tell me. Once you've opened your present, and maybe even read it, post with a photo to thank your Santa. It's only polite.

Can anyone join in?
I hate to say it, but no. You must be an actively posting goon with an account at least six months old and at least one post outside the thread so we know you're not trying to join4books. If you aren't, get someone who is to vouch for you, and you're in. You must be willing to let me, Hieronymus Alloy (who will also have access to the gmail account), and your Santa know your real name and shipping information. You must not use this information outside of the Secret Santa – only to send your present. We will only use it to match goons up and tell Santas where to post their stuff. If you don't want us knowing your address, you can send a local friend's address, your work address, or a PO Box if you're rich.

This is a commitment. If you're about to have a baby, be sued for everything you own, or otherwise have trouble fulfilling that commitment, please think twice before joining in. There's always next year. Unless you're teminally ill, but then you've got bigger problems.

So, what kind of present should I get my match?
The idea of the Secret Santa is to spread joy and love. Do your best to get something that they will enjoy. There are two big guidelines. One, read your match's sign-up post. Two, you should spend roughly the cost of a new hardback novel in your country – about US$25. I don't want one goon to spend a hundred pounds and his Santa to spend a fiver, because that guy is going to feel rotten. Postage comes on top of this.

You don't have to just give your match one book – last time I did this, my Santa gave me three books. Nor do they have to be new, just good as new. I expect most of us will send books, ebooks, or audiobooks, but book-related things are also cool; you could also send bookmarks, bookends, Bob Dylan albums, or something related to a book you're also sending them. But... a book token is kind of boring. Try to surprise your match – that's part of the fun!

Your match may already have the book you sent them. Consider a gift receipt if possible – this may not work across international borders, etc, but is a nice idea. And if you're sending a physical present, why not send a card too?

Anything else?
If you might have to email you about something – if so, please reply ASAP so as not to hold everyone else up, or delay your own present. If someone falls off the face of the Earth I'd rather cut them out than delay everyone.

It's unlikely to happen, but if you mess up, expect the moderator's wrath, depending on how grievous a sin you have committed.

Please tell other subforums and threads about this!

The most important thing...
I know there's a lot of rules here, but they're purely to prevent drama. Hopefully it'll come down to nothing more complex than “give your match a nice present well in time for Christmas”. Don't sweat it!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Welcome to the Museum of 2016 Secret Santa cheer! Let's see who got what!

ulvir sent nefarias bredd:

nefarias bredd posted:

This looks wonderful (though emotionally trying!) - I couldn't find your username within the package but thank you so much whoever you are!

ulvir recieved:

ulvir posted:

that Bosnian book looks especially amazing. thank you so much Santa! :yayclod:

TheManFromFOXHOUND sent Flaggy:

Flaggy posted:

Holy poo poo. This is amazing. Thank you so much Santa. I have wanted the Annotated Lovecraft since it was released. I have had wanted to read A Edible History of Humanity for a very long time. This is amazing. Thank you so much.

chernobyl kinsman sent The Grey:

The Grey posted:

The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England by Dan Jones

North American Lake Monsters: Stories by Nathan Ballingrud

Thanks for the books chernobyl kinsman! You picked a couple good ones!

Bilirubin sent chernobyl kinsman:

chernobyl kinsman posted:

These are both fantastic! I've been really in the mood for something on witchcraft lately, as my santa could tell from my wishlist, and crowley is a perfect addition to my stock of occult lit :3:

Safety Biscuits sent Megabound:

Franchescanado sent TheManFromFOXHOUND:

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

Every book has a surprise inside!

The Grey sent Franchescanado:

wintermuteCF recieved:

Megabound sent NTRabbit:

quote:

:stare: Wait, this isn't a book of names.

:stwoon: This is a book containing translations of all of the latin phrases in The Name of the Rose

:aaaaa: Handwritten in colour coded special ink with a dip or fountain pen

freelop sent military cervix:

nefarias bredd sent freelop:

military cervix sent kalthir:

wintermuteCF sent Bilirubin:

NTRabbit sent Safety Biscuits:

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 27, 2016

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Count me in. Hopefully this gets some traction this year. I've had a lot of fun doing this in the past.

I'm pretty open to trying anything my Santa thinks is interesting. (Although maybe no romance or poetry.) I don't read a lot of non-fiction, so something that could get me reading that would be good. Here's my goodreads. Most books that I've read are on it, so you can get an idea of what I like. I usually read physical books but I have a Kindle and read on it too.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'd love to join in on this. This year I got back into reading after an at least 10 year hiatus and my intake had been very varied.

My Goodreads is here, but I'm down for whatever really, just no romance or fantasy.

e: If it's on my too read, I don't own it and it'd be a safe choice, but I'd love something I don't know!

Megabound fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 22, 2016

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

And I'm in. I'd like a physical book with pages I can write on, please. Lately I've enjoyed reading Gene Wolfe, Joyce, Lu Xun, John Gardner, and Italo Calvino. I also live in Taiwan so something Taiwanese/Chinese or about Taiwanese/Chinese culture would be cool. Please don't give me anything by Wolfe or Joyce or the Four Great Chinese Novels, though, because I have them already. Nonfiction is also very welcome. Surprise me. I'm easy to please.

If you're reading this, you're probably a geek, so why not check out the Traditional Games Secret Santa too, and spread the toy soldier/elfgames joy, too?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

since I finally have a disposable income, I'm going to join in on this here thing since it sounds fun. Here's a freshly made representative list of what I've read before on Goodreads

What I’d like: mostly interested in literary fiction. I wouldn’t mind some post-modern fic that’s considered good from authors other than Pynchon and Wallace. Same with good/obscure or otherwise noteworthy works from eastern europe or whatever. I also have a big black hole wrt african-american authors

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i don't have a goodreads, but my amazon wishlist is here. dont feel obligated to stick to it, i love surprises!

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 25, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'll gladly participate. Books are the best presents.

Goodreads Profile - My 'Read' list is up-to-date, and I update my 'To-Read' list with books I actually own.

Amazon Wishlist for Books and Poetry

Pretty much anything on those lists are safe, but I like surprises and trying new things. I enjoy the weirder side of literature, the classics, horror, Post-Modernism. Favorite authors are Thomas Pynchon, Etgar Keret, Nabakov, Vonnegut, Daniel Handler. I recently enjoyed David Vann and Truman Capote. I like emotionally fulfilling novels, so they can be depressingly bleak or they can be funny, doesn't matter.

For poetry, I'm pretty much open to anything.

Non-fiction, I like stuff like Bill Bryson or Jon Ronson, but I can handle more academic stuff as well.

Please no Romance, Sci-Fi, or Fantasy.

Edit: I also have a kindle, and I'm totally cool with used books.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Receiving books is cool and so is sending them

Good reads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/59249047-peter-armstrong

I like various books though not really into romance. If there's a book the Santa personally loves and feels I should read that would be neat.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Wanna give/get more books.

Goodreads (might not be 100% up-to-date, but will be by 11/24; will update the want-to-read with stuff I own but haven't read yet): https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/55516897-ivo-stimac
Bookdepository wishlist: http://www.bookdepository.com/wishlists/WHTM2

I'm fine with used books but would prefer hard copies instead of ebooks.

I mostly read history books, with a sprinkling of fantasy/sf and other fiction. I love short story collections. I'm fine with any genre, in fact I'd prefer to be surprised and try something new if my santa is feeling inspired.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Everyone above this post should be in the Secret Santa and have had a reply. If not, email or PM me please!

A couple of people have asked about the "postage" information you have to include, so I'm going to edit this clarification into the OP. It's there to say if you have any special situation regarding shipping, e.g. "I'm rich and can ship anywhere in the world", "I've got an Asian fetish and wanna post to the Orient", "I'm broke, can only post in my country". If you don't say anything there, I'll match people up based on general geographical areas, which are probably going to be "North America", "Europe", and "Far East", but will ultimately depend on who signs up. I'm going to try to keep people relatively close together for faster, cheaper postage. If that's cool with you, no need to say anything.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ulvir posted:

since I finally have a disposable income, I'm going to join in on this here thing since it sounds fun. Here's a freshly made representative list of what I've read before on Goodreads

What I’d like: mostly interested in literary fiction. I wouldn’t mind some post-modern fic that’s considered good from authors other than Pynchon and Wallace. Same with good/obscure or otherwise noteworthy works from eastern europe or whatever. I also have a big black hole wrt african-american authors

forgot to add that I have a Kindle that's in active use.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
Nothing makes me happier than books!

Here's my Goodreads.

I've been trying to focus on contemporary lit. this past year, and I've definitely enjoyed it. I would really like more classics, non-western lit, and post-modern stuff. Specifically I don't own anything by Pynchon and I'd like to fix that. Poetry and short stories would also be nice. For non-fiction, I love history books, especially ones focused on day-to-day life during a time period or how seemingly mundane things effected the development of history, and philosophy.

I'd prefer physical books, because my Kindle is ancient and slowly dying. Used books are great, especially with margin notes from the previous owner.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I'm in!

I have no strong preferences, other than that I've read a lot of the classics as well as popular TBB stuff such as DFW and Pynchon. I'd be really happy with some contemporary stuff from whatever country my secret santa is from, but anything is good.

Also, used books would be more than fine. No need to cut down fresh trees if you have some spare books lying around.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I didn't know this forum existed until Safety Biscuits linked it in the Trad Games Secret Santa, which is slightly better than me spending 8 months looking for the soccer threads in SAS each weekend before realising what The Ray Parlour was :downs:

I like to read! I made a goodreads, it's everything I own and as many things I don't own but have read as I can remember, which is only a fraction because I've been at it for 30 years. This is my Amazon.co.uk wishlist, which at the moment keeps breaking and saying there are 0 items in it despite it being pages long. i'm not in the UK, I jut found the UK one most convenient to put a wishlist on because there's still no physical Amazon Australia. Don't feel constricted by that though, I just like to read good books, and aside from maybe scifi I don't really stick to genres. I like historical non-fiction books, anything from the autobiographical accounts of war and discussion of recent vehicles of war you can see on the wishlist, through to good books about the world of the middle ages, classical antiquity, the bronze and iron ages, etc

I don't have an ereader, so ebooks aren't so much use to me sorry. Used books in decent condition are fine.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 18, 2016

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am in, I forgot about this this year.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3928755-aaron Amazon Link: http://a.co/2dgxOWd

I have an e-reader. Love getting books every Christmas from goons. I love non-fiction and Lovecraftian stuff. Really into cooking/canning/gardening as well.

Hope I am not too late!

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 21, 2016

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
I'm in. Was sad we didn't do one last year. I'll update post with preferences.

Updated:

I like fantasy and science fiction. Favorite series: Hyperion, Gentleman Bastards, The Expanse, Kingkiller Chronicle.
I would particularly like some fresh recommendations that align (somewhat) with my previous reads and particularly those that I've noted that I've really enjoyed. Especially if it's a really great series. I will be forever grateful to the goons in the past that put me on to the Gentleman Bastards and Kingkiller books.

Here is a list of books I own or have read, along with some commentary. I've also included a sheet with my wife's books (we share a Kindle account), feel free to recommend poo poo off of it but you obviously wouldn't need to buy a second copy.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18ATlMJUYPTWEEz2KERfGT3bUZCPyUXt8C8uvV1pysNU/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a list of current "wish lists" on Amazon. I have two because I split some off into recommendations for my family to get me for Christmas.
http://a.co/84eOkKX
http://a.co/dXJKt4t

Also, hopefully this doesn't make me too much of a diva, but I read almost everything that isn't a textbook on my Kindle. Mostly because I have a baby and am always switching devices mid-book (such as using my phone whilst bottle-feeding).

wintermuteCF fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 27, 2016

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not having any issues with the Secret Santa, and as people have started to sign up, I'm going to extend it until Wednesday 23rd November. This means Wednesday evening my time, Wednesday morning USA time, and I'll post the matches on Thursday lunchtime/Wednesday night for Americans at the latest.

You now have three more days to pester your friends into signing up and spam other threads with the good news!

wintermuteCF posted:

I'm in. Was sad we didn't do one last year. I'll update post with preferences.

You also need to email me with your information to be in the Santa!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm not really active enough in this forum to get involved in the Secret Santa, but I do want to thank this thread for finally pushing me to start farting around on Good Reads. And the forum in general to get me focused on reading all the classic literature laying about the shelves...

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bilirubin posted:

I'm not really active enough in this forum to get involved in the Secret Santa

no join us

join us

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

no join us

join us

Gah I wasn't trolling for prompting...alright though, I can send books out with sufficient time (Canada Post :rip: ). But my Good Reads "to read" (e. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/61729436 ) is mostly things I already have that I need to actually get off my rear end to read.

(Also is there a GR librarian about ITT?)

e. upon our uber Santa's suggestion, I include the following:
Anything else: I'm a professor in biology/geology, so don't bother sending me anything in those fields. Fiction, philosophy, or history are however very likely to be something I don't have any knowledge of whatsoever :D

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 22, 2016

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

Gah I wasn't trolling for prompting...alright though, I can send books out with sufficient time (Canada Post :rip: ). But my Good Reads "to read" (e. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/61729436 ) is mostly things I already have that I need to actually get off my rear end to read.

(Also is there a librarian about ITT?)

One of us, one of us... nice work chernobyl kinsman.

CestMoi posted:

I will send a PDF chosen at random from my "Sex Magick" folder to all participants.

Forums poster CestMoi has made a very generous offer! If you would like a sex magick pdf I'll let you know when he sends them to me! Disclaimer: All sex involved may be solo. I make no guarantees that the pdfs will involve or improve your sex or magickal ability, or that CestMoi will actually send them to me. That's right, guys: he might be The Grinch :ohdearsass:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Safety Biscuits posted:

Forums poster CestMoi has made a very generous offer! If you would like a sex magick pdf I'll let you know when he sends them to me! Disclaimer: All sex involved may be solo. I make no guarantees that the pdfs will involve or improve your sex or magickal ability, or that CestMoi will actually send them to me. That's right, guys: he might be The Grinch :ohdearsass:

If he actually sends it, I'll take it, but...

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Some of these will undoubtedly get you laid.

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013
I'm only a (very) sporadic poster here but I'd be up for this. I keep a wishlist on Goodreads and I'll honestly read pretty much anything.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1851882-suzie

If you need someone to vouch for me that's cool, have mentioned in my email.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i absolutely need a sex magick pdf tia

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

i absolutely need a sex magick pdf tia

same

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

CestMoi posted:

Some of these will undoubtedly get you laid.

Sorry I doubted you! I'll be in touch when signups are finished. Anyone who wants a Sex Magick PDF must explicitly say so in email/PM/a new post (don't edit, I might miss it.)

Signups end tomorrow, in about thirty hours or a bit more depending on when I get home from work. Spread the word! Thanks to the goons who've already posted in other threads to spread the Christmas spirit.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I don't know what a sex magick pdf is but now I feel like I need to receive and read one

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'll throw in some other stuff too, so you can also enjoy some Tang Dynasty poetry or issues of the Black Panther newsletter, while you practice sex magick

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CestMoi posted:

I'll throw in some other stuff too, so you can also enjoy some Tang Dynasty poetry or issues of the Black Panther newsletter, while you practice sex magick

Yeah, I'd actually appreciate any poetry you could throw in. I started reading Ezra Pound's essays on poetry from your suggestion, so I'm interested if you're willing to share.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

CestMoi posted:

Please do, that sounds cool.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

CestMoi posted:

I'm in.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Sign me up for these too.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

CestMoi posted:

yes please

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Signups are now closed.

I'll sort out matches and email everyone in the morning. Please post/PM/email me if you'd like pdfs and haven't already said so. If you have any questions, comments, complaints, or don't get an email, please get in touch with me asap.

The final statistics are: fifteen goons signed up - seven North American, five European, and three Far Eastern. We also have two extras; CestMoi, of course, and another goon who's offered to step into the breach and help out if someone can't meet their Santa obligation. A big round of applause please for these two generous souls!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I've sent PMs/emails matching all North American and Far Eastern goons. If you're in one of these areas, you can get cracking.

If you're a Eurogoon, don't. I made a mistake assigning Santas. If you've had a PM from me saying READ THIS PM FIRST, read that PM first and do what it says. Please delete the first PM I sent you, don't look at it, and I'll send you a new match. If you haven't had a message saying that, or haven't had one at all, don't worry; there's no immediate problem concerning you. I'll send out the correct information asap.

If you find a mistake in your Santa assignation, or have any questions, complaints, or worries, please get in touch with me.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oh this is fun already! I also like my Santee's taste

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Got my PM and already having fun thinking about what to get my Santee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I've sent out matches to the European goons. Sorry for the fuckup guys. Happy shopping!

Everyone should now have a match. If you want sex magick pdfs, please tell me asap.

• Locked thread