Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

I dunno, as the party of personal responsibility they're super good at finding reasons why they aren't to blame for anything negative

It really doesn't matter what they say. It matters that they are in the drivers seat. One reason dems got clobbered in 2010 wasn't just the tea party, it was at the time things were not getting better, and the democrats were in the drivers seat. So the voters blamed the dems for what Bush had caused. For the same reason voters voted Obama into office in 2012 and for the reverse reason they kept him in office in 2012. If the GOP controls both houses and the presidency and over a quarter of the way into the term the economy shits itself, they will get the blame. Of course it will be up to the Dems to get proper candidates. If the GOP gets rid of Obamacare and raise the retirement age and then the economy shits itself, well goodbye GOP for another eight years, maye this time we can gerrymander ourselves the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Samovar posted:

I don't think I will ever understand America.

We have an overabundance of white people (mostly men, but women too) whose lives didn't turn out as well as they think they deserve and they are terrified of brown people taking away what they do have. They think this alpha male bro will magically return them to a fictional 1950s white American utopia that never actually existed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Do people really think the silver lining to the Trump presidency is detente with Russia? I'm pretty sure that Donald loving Trump, as the new most powerful person in the world, is not going to miss the chance to swing his metaphorical dick around if the opportunity to confront Russia arises. Every aspect of his image is based around being an unrestrained strongman and the only thing to encourage him de-escalating tensions with Russia is "he said he would", ie. the sacrosanct word of Donald Trump.

Detente with Russia would be the opposite of a silver lining.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
now i'm thinking back to all the people who were convinced he'd lose and cause a great schism in the republican party and i'm just laughing

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Instead the DNC can implode and bring about 1,000 years of righteous light.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Welp I've lurked USPol for the longest time but I think I'm going to disengage from this entire politics thing for the next two years. It's just too depressing.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Detente with Russia would be the opposite of a silver lining.

Maybe the silver lining should be phrased as "of all the countries Trump would start WW3 with it might not be Russia".

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

congratulations hillary clinton. we thought donald trump was the worst candidate in US history but you shattered the glass ceiling. i can't believe tongue kissing GWB and tweeting about Hamilton didn't help.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
:mitt: but its hillary clinton

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Schizotek posted:

Berniebros tank election, smugly gloat about how its everybody but their fault. Glad ya'll could crucify my future as part of your tantrum.
Turns out white people are garbage no matter their political affiliation.

:flip:

maga

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Schizotek posted:

Berniebros tank election, smugly gloat about how its everybody but their fault. Glad ya'll could crucify my future as part of your tantrum.

did you just forget hillary clinton was white

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Schizotek posted:

The best part about this is that Hillary is still going to lose that EV from a faithless elector in Washington. Just in case you forgot.

Did I say best, because I meant worst. Ugh.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Schizotek posted:

I don't "dislike white men" or whatever lolsjw's nonsense you're trying to do. They were just overwhelmingly the deciding factor. We should work harder to get white men to vote democrat. But trying to say this is because of Trumps support with women despite women voting for him less than previous republican candidates is just stupid and wrong.

You literally said the words "white people are garbage"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
P.S. I think it's time we adopt something from the UK Megathread:

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

What is interesting is how many precedents/expectations this fucks up -

1) Texas never going blue, because Democrats are retarded and can't stop talking about guns/whatever, and they will put up another 30 year veteran shitlord in 2020. GOP will slowly leech minority vote despite themselves.

2) Supreme court is hosed.

3) We have a guy who denies climate change in office as cities like Miami are starting to flood.

4) The worst part isn't even Trump himself, its all the cronyistic garbage he is going to let into the Whitehouse, those are the guys who will gently caress poo poo up. Our best hope is really for Trump to actually do things because ultimately I think he is solution neutral and doesn't give a gently caress.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

like if you think white people are the problem why did you vote for White Hillary in the primaries. did you think "abuela" meant she was latino

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

corn in the bible posted:

did you just forget hillary clinton was white

Don't see anything in their post that says Hillary isn't also garbage.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

As a Bernie-turned-Hillary supporter who thought that H would be better at moving things slightly left than B would despite B's further-left endgoal...

I hereby give up trying to think strategically about politics or trying to know anything about how it works. I'm just going to try really really hard. Expect me phone banking for house and senate 2018, and whatever else I can find to do. If some wacko starts a movement that seems on-target, I'll join it.

My state is still reliably progressive (on just about everything but our dumbass sales-tax-instead-of-income-tax thing), so I've got a reserve for optimism. Now I've just got to try to do something, long term, to combat the despair I feel nationally.

Maybe RGB will be able to hold out at least two years, where there'll be maybe an off-chance of a democratic legislature? Maybe? Maybe??? gently caress I'm already slipping into trying to think strategically. Just loving roll with it and do what I can. Just...

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 9, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

white establishment ruins electoral chances of brave jewish man

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Squashing Machine posted:

You literally said the words "white people are garbage"

There's a group of liberals who use white voters as a boogeyman for their problems, much in the same way the alt-right does with minorities.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Where is fishmech

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
RIP America, you were cool while you lasted.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

No Pasaran?

Too late, they've pasaraned everywhere.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Rogue One will be released in December, so at least we get to watch that before poo poo hits the white house.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Hey everyone who feels like poo poo right now.

Now's not the time to play the blame game, the Bernie-would-have-won game, and so on. You got other tools to fight with.

Organize.

Unionize.

Demonstrate.

Go on strike.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Now's not the time to play the blame game, the Bernie-would-have-won game, and so on. You got other tools to fight with.

Organize.

Unionize.

Demonstrate.

Go on strike.

I'm not American, but I agree. Stop looking back at what could have been. Look towards 2020. It is your duty as a human being to make sure that Trump/Pence is a 4 year deal, NOT 8.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Organize.

Unionize.

Demonstrate.

Go on strike.

It's a monumental undertaking but this is where my mind is. Time to get in the game

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

corn in the bible posted:

remember how having that scotus vacancy was supposed to make the gop look bad? i'd argue it's actually a huge part of why they did so well -- it's the first election since roe v wade where they were able to say definitively "vote for us and abortion will be banned" and be right. hell, they might very well be able to ban gay marriage, too!

none of this "maybe rbg will die" nonsense, there's a straight chance to get back 50 years of civil rights changes in one election and they seized on it like their souls depended on it

The Trump Party has control of every single part of the government, of course those things are going away. Anything that could challenge White Male supremacy and will make others miserable and weak so that White Men can feel stronger will happen. This is how Dominance Culture works.

This is a dark day for the capital-R Republic, and perhaps the moment at which its fall begins. I do not have great hopes for the next five decades and I fully expect to see all of my non-cis-het -caucasian-male friends suffer and perhaps die, or escape the territory of this country as refugees.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 9, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Organize.

Unionize.

Demonstrate.

Go on strike.

it starts with cleaning up the DNC from top to bottom

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Lowly posted:

We have an overabundance of white people (mostly men, but women too) whose lives didn't turn out as well as they think they deserve and they are terrified of brown people taking away what they do have. They think this alpha male bro will magically return them to a fictional 1950s white American utopia that never actually existed.
I wonder if it's like the Brexit vote. They're expecting as soon as the vote finishes, the Imperial March will start up, and the country's top-secret death-squads will round up all those dern immigrants and kick them out. :suicide:

Looks like Trump is going to get started on breaking Boris' record though. I bet the US won't even get to enjoy the disgusting / hilarious clusterfuck of backstabbing from the opposing parties either, as they try to desperately point the finger at each other for letting it happen.

Seriously, 2016, gently caress this year, and people in general. :psyduck:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

The Trump Party has control of every single part of the government, of course those things are going away. Anything that could challenge White Male supremacy and will make others miserable and weak so that White Men can feel stronger will happen. This is how Dominance Culture works.

This is a dark day for the capital-R Republic, and perhaps the moment at which its fall begins. I do not have great hopes for the next five decades and I fully expect to see all of my non-cis-het -caucasian-male friends suffer and perhaps die, or escape the territory of this country as refugees.

plessy v ferguson 2.0

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's because one party has been telling them that they have had things far too easy for far too long (and should be ashamed of it), while the other party told them they can make things better for them than they are, and that the better future is rightfully theirs. You don't have to be a genius to see the result.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sylink posted:

What is interesting is how many precedents/expectations this fucks up -

1) Texas never going blue, because Democrats are retarded and can't stop talking about guns/whatever, and they will put up another 30 year veteran shitlord in 2020. GOP will slowly leech minority vote despite themselves.

2) Supreme court is hosed.

3) We have a guy who denies climate change in office as cities like Miami are starting to flood.

4) The worst part isn't even Trump himself, its all the cronyistic garbage he is going to let into the Whitehouse, those are the guys who will gently caress poo poo up. Our best hope is really for Trump to actually do things because ultimately I think he is solution neutral and doesn't give a gently caress.

Yeah Trump will gently caress this up and the GOP will be out of power, the GOP will not take this as a reason to actually be nice to minorities but as a way to build the wall and begin deportations, as reason to encourage police brutality, as reason to encourage locking up Muslims. The GOP will continue to play to the battalions of fear that are Boomers and say gently caress you to everyone else. But the dems should learn that one they take power they should inflict as much pain on the GOP as possible to cripple it.

SpaceDrake posted:

We are not becoming Nazi germany, or India to many of the minority groups. We'll recover in about 20 years but the next two decades are going to suck. Also learn how to shoot.

Organize.

Unionize.

Demonstrate.

Go on strike.

I would like to add, we all are covered under the 2nd. If Trump becomes our Buchanon this could be very valuable.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Ditocoaf posted:

As a Bernie-turned-Hillary supporter who thought that H would be better at moving things slightly left than B would despite B's further-left endgoal...

I hereby give up trying to think strategically about politics or trying to know anything about how it works. I'm just going to try really really hard. Expect me phone banking for house and senate 2018, and whatever else I can find to do. If some wacko starts a movement that seems on-target, I'll join it.

My state is still reliably progressive (on just about everything but our dumbass sales-tax-instead-of-income-tax thing), so I've got a reserve for optimism. Now I've just got to try to do something, long term, to combat the despair I feel nationally.

Maybe RGB will be able to hold out at least two years, where there'll be maybe an off-chance of a democratic legislature? Maybe? Maybe??? gently caress I'm already slipping into trying to think strategically. Just loving roll with it and do what I can. Just...

-liberals are not your friends
-liberals are avowed enemies of the left
-liberals have conspired to assassinate or otherwise neutralize any viable leftist in every country they could

liberals are not your allies, do not share your goals and should never be trusted

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The next two decades will decide whether or not we continue as a species. The GOP refuses to acknowledge that.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Condiv posted:

it starts with cleaning up the DNC from top to bottom

Alright, so join the Democratic party, since you don't have much else as an alternative, and make it turn left.

What I meant was that there are still other ways to participate, and other ways to defend yourself.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I literally am having moderately self destructive thoughts and cannot stop. I will not act on them. And before anyone tells me to seek help I can't get it for insurance reasons. And that's NOW.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Schizotek posted:

All three of the "Latinos" in my private school graduating class had naturally blue eyes. Latino is a bizarre NA concept that assumes that all of the people who speak Spanish must naturally be a uniform group. Most of those countries have a hella conservative white overclass that hates the blacks and indians as much as every other white person. Maybe more.

Have met people from Argentina, can confirm is true.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I literally am having moderately self destructive thoughts and cannot stop. I will not act on them. And before anyone tells me to seek help I can't get it for insurance reasons. And that's NOW.

Hey call this number. It's the suicide prevention line. It's free. 800-273-8255

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Schizotek posted:

All three of the "Latinos" in my private school graduating class had naturally blue eyes. Latino is a bizarre NA concept that assumes that all of the people who speak Spanish must naturally be a uniform group. Most of those countries have a hella conservative white overclass that hates the blacks and indians as much as every other white person. Maybe more.

cf Temer's new government of entirely white dudes in a "majority-minority" country

• Locked thread