Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

corn in the bible posted:

remember how having that scotus vacancy was supposed to make the gop look bad? i'd argue it's actually a huge part of why they did so well -- it's the first election since roe v wade where they were able to say definitively "vote for us and abortion will be banned" and be right. hell, they might very well be able to ban gay marriage, too!

none of this "maybe rbg will die" nonsense, there's a straight chance to get back 50 years of civil rights changes in one election and they seized on it like their souls depended on it

The Trump Party has control of every single part of the government, of course those things are going away. Anything that could challenge White Male supremacy and will make others miserable and weak so that White Men can feel stronger will happen. This is how Dominance Culture works.

This is a dark day for the capital-R Republic, and perhaps the moment at which its fall begins. I do not have great hopes for the next five decades and I fully expect to see all of my non-cis-het -caucasian-male friends suffer and perhaps die, or escape the territory of this country as refugees.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Pollyanna posted:

So, what now? Are we really gonna see the progress of the last 8 years undone? Is this really going to go as bad as we thought?

Oh child. Eight years? Try fifty.

The VRA is gone and shall never return in the lifetime of any poster here. Abortion shall be once again illegalized, Roe v. Wade overturned and it shall not return in poster lifetimes. Non-heterosexual marriage will be declared illegal and Obergefell v. Hodges will be overturned, and such rights will not be restored within poster lifetimes. People of Muslim descent shall be barred from entering the country, those here will be deported or killed in a Kristallnacht and they will likely not return in poster lifetimes. Obamacare and any form of non-private medicine at the federal level shall be abolished, and discussion of it shall not return in poster lifetimes. Trade war will be opened with China, Mexico and virtually every other nation on Earth, triggering a new Great Depression that will hopefully end before poster lifetimes, but we will need to survive the ensuing war which will likely be nuclear and which will be commanded on the American side by a thin-skinned small-handed man. Overturning Brown vs. Board of Education would be a taller order and would see actual pushback, but it's not entirely impossible and the current policies that destroy Black lives will continue and intensify, with no recourse in sight.

There are only a few minor exaggerations in there for effect. This is the century of darkness. A number of these things (Roe Wade, Obamacare, trade war) will happen on the first day of his presidency. The light has gone out across America and I do not believe I will live to see it re-lit, certainly not in the form it once was.

I want to hope, but I cannot find it. I do not know this country or "my people" any longer. If the majority of whites can vote for Trump, then I cannot actually understand their psychology, despite all rationalizations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Meanwhile, I am literally quivering in anger. I don't know if this has been posted yet, but:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...62d1_story.html

quote:

That dream started to unravel about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, when roughly half the states had voted and results showed a Trump lead that Clinton’s confident, data-driven campaign had not foreseen.

Clinton’s second unsuccessful run for the White House relied heavily on a complex computer algorithm that the campaign was prepared to publicly unveil after the election.

[...]

While her reliance on analytics became well known, the particulars were kept hush-hush, including the existence of a powerful computer algorithm nicknamed “Ada” after a 19th-century female mathematician. According to aides, the algorithm operated on a separate server than the rest of the Clinton operation as a security precaution, and only a few senior aides had access.

According to aides, a raft of polling numbers, public and private, were fed into the algorithm, as well as ground-level voter data collected by the campaign. Once early voting began, those numbers were factored in, too.

With that, aides said, Ada ran 400,000 simulations a day of what the race against Trump might look like. It spat out a report giving campaign manager Robby Mook and others a detailed picture of which battleground states were most likely to tip the race in one direction or another — and guiding decisions about where to spend time and deploy resources.

But was it the right guidance? It appears that the importance of some states Clinton would lose — including Michigan and Wisconsin — never became fully apparent or that it was too late once it did.

Clinton made several visits to Michigan during the general election, but it wasn’t until the final days that she, Obama and her husband made a concerted effort.

As for Wisconsin, Clinton didn’t make any general-election appearances there at all.

We didn't have a candidate, we had a goddamn bot that wasn't configured correctly. These idiots gambled away all our futures and have murdered some of my friends thanks to a computer program.

I cannot put my anger into words and I suspect I'm going to have difficulty sleeping now.

• Locked thread