Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
This is astounding. End of an era for the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Paradoxish posted:

Free trade is an easy scapegoat for extremely complex economic problems that have been plaguing the developed world for decades. NAFTA was treated the same way. TPP is getting even more flak because there's been a wave of economic populism building in the US post-recession that's largely been flying under the radar since Occupy Wall Street stopped making headlines.

There's plenty in the TPP that's not great (the state-owned enterprise stuff makes my blood boil), but most people who are flipping out over it don't have specific complaints. They're being told that free trade is responsible for the things that make them uncomfortable and there aren't any high profile politicians who are offering reasonable alternative explanations.

There's legitimate concerns about the public sector or copyright stuff but also obvious benifits to some aspects of free trade. The biggest turn off is that amending the deal never seems to be considered and actual discussion seems impossible almost anywhere. It just dissolves into ad homs. There's always reactionaries on either side of the issue; do you think most people who are pro-TTIP have super considered reasons for supporting it? The best argument for rejecting it is that there's no clarity or dialogue. You just want to give up, get rid of it.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Mustached Demon posted:

It's hitting the land of chemistry, too. Inline analysis baby!

At least I'm still needed to qualify and calibrate them...

I wondered if that might happen. Glad i didnt take up that analyst apprenticeship at the pharma. testing and analysis company! Now to find a field where my uh innate skills will keep me forever ahead of the curve..

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
To be honest there seems to be absolutely no one with political talent on the left in any country anywhere in the world at the moment

• Locked thread