Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I'm still not really all in on getting back into thinking about, talking about, and watching politics again. This isn't just some "Woe is me, we shall now descend into the abyss" whine, although trying to get past that fear is part of it. I'm just having trouble approaching this situation in a manner that might be constructive. But it seems a lot of people do not have that hang up here.

At the very least we do have the numbers coming in finally. Hillary won the popular vote, Donald won the electoral college. Only one of those matters. Both candidates lost voters compared to last election and we lost the support of far more and in far more important places. But it wasn't a wave for the GOP. It was the Dems loss 100%. There wasn't a silent majority of right wing adherents who decided to make their presence known as a stance against the Obama years. We just lost more voters than the GOP did. But the nation did not magically turn into a giant KKK rally that we need to appeal to. It's ultimately the same population that is in favor of the ACA, in favor of Roe v. Wade, and in favor of things like gun control. The populace is still the most progressive we've ever been as a country, to whatever consolation that's worth to you.

At the numbers we have now only 37.6% of the nation voted. If you adjust that to voting eligible population it's 49.5%. The people who voted for the incoming presidential administration represent 24.7% of the voting eligible population. What this tells me is that the Democratic party does not, in fact, need to start our own Southern Strategy. Get that poo poo out of your heads, people who are saying we need to stop fighting so hard against bigotry because it makes bigots sad and more likely to vote against us. These are the same people who always vote against us. It just turns out that the GOP base is more reliable than the Dem base.

We lost 5.79 million votes. That's what we need to focus on. What do we need to do to ensure we get those votes again? Right now, I don't know what specifically we need to focus in on because god knows what the most pressing situation for the country will be in 2 and 4 years. It could be simple economic revitalization or it could be the need for unleaded bread. But we hosed up with Clinton. I forget who said it, but "Let's use the ultimate test for what a successful candidate is: An Election."

We lost with Clinton. Should we have? That's a meaningless question here. Yes the scandals were bullshit. I had a huge post talking about why the email thing was a bunch of poo poo. But ultimately Clinton was seen as having too much baggage, seen as being uncharismatic, and did not engage the voters we should have had with the platform she took. Is that true? I don't think so. But the electorate did. That's what matters. What we ran with Clinton didn't win. And looking at what I said above, the answer isn't to run to the center or right, but to push further left. We need to do better. But I don't know who the Dems can run in 4 years right now. Maybe someone will come out of seemingly nowhere like Obama. Someone who right now no one is noticing. But probably our next candidate will be another Kerry. So we're looking for someone in 8 years. We need that inspiring hope and change candidate. We need them to be cleaner. We need them to be fresher. Trump was, amazingly, the hope and change guy this time around. It was just terrible change and the hope was of something that takes 14 words to explain.

Right now though? This is the worst part. Now we wait. We don't know just how he's going to act in power. We don't even know for sure who his cabinet will be. But from what he's promised and campaigned on it'll be bad. We need to keep working, pushing, and moving forward. We're in for a long 4 years but if we don't start working now then it'll only get worse. Call your representatives. Call your senators. Write to the office of the president. Call, email, protest, volunteer, get involved. Try to challenge your friends and family politically (if you can).

Be a good person and survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Wooten posted:

Where is the data to suggest that people who voted for Obama voted for Trump this time when he had slightly lower turnout than Romney?

That comes from the county level map. I do not think it's correct to say that "Obama voters went Trump" unless we get a decent number of polls asking that and returning that info.

From my POV we didn't lose voter to Trump. We just lost votes. An effect of that is that the Obama voters in those key districts weren't there to counter act the GOP voters that we know are always going to be there. If it was really that Obama voters went for Trump I think we'd see that 5.7 or some number of them on the GOP side.

Poor voter turn out gave those counties to Trump.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Xae posted:

I like how someone dropped a bombshell that Trump was outright bribing members of the media a couple pages back and no one gave a gently caress.

"Hey this guy who has a gun to your face just said he's also running a ponzi scheme"

Ask me which one I actually care about right now.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/796908320179318784

"It was about ~~~*~*~*ECONOMIC PRIORITIES*~*~*~~~"

-Way too many loving people here.

See now I'm getting angry, but that's better than the crippling uncertainty of the last day or so. It's becoming very clear that this has emboldened the disgusting underbelly of this nation. Actually no. It's not the underbelly. It's not toothless, backwoods hicks out of a Lovecraft story ignorant of and sequestered from the modern world. These people are teachers, gas station owners, sheriffs, Lawyers, the person buying overpriced kale chips in Whole Foods, and the guy who does IT at the start up next door. And this is what we have to watch out for.

It was a funny joke 48 hours ago that I'd be on the rear end end of the world for work when this garbage fire took office so "haha! Maybe I'll just stay in Antarctica!". Well now I have to worry about my brothers, my best friend, my cousins, my coworkers, people who I care about BECAUSE I'M NOT GOING TO BE HERE TO loving HELP THEM WHEN ONE OF THESE GUYS DECIDES TO START poo poo WITH THEM.

I can't loving call 911 from tens of thousands of miles away, and even if I could I'm not sure if the police I get a hold of will give a poo poo. And to anyone who's going to tell me chill and "it's just a bunch of STDH.txt no ones doing that": My brother's already had people give him poo poo just today.

But I still don't have a drat plan that'll help.

So all y'all who are tell us and telling yourselves that this was about economics, or lower taxes, or better jobs: I hope you take that money and buy a great loving pillow to help you sleep at night.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Covok posted:

Yeah, it's really just The_Donald that's pro-Trump. Everyone else there hates him and there is even a board dedicated to making sure pro-Trump material never makes it to the front page.

That doesn't work however because said pro-Trump group blatantly abuses the reddit algorithm. They also created similar groups that are only "tangentially" related like Hillaryforprison, Sorosforprison, DNCLeaks, etc.

Even when the admins have adjusted the way that reddit populates it's front page to try and curb the massive flood of T_D posts on the front page it'll only last a few hours before the vote bots are tweaked enough to get them back on.

That's what your really running into. It's a coordinated effort that doesn't care about breaking systems to give the illusion of popular engagement.

Reminds me of a Vonnegut quote, which I've been reading a lot of lately:

"There is no reason good can't triumph over evil, if only Angels will get organized along the lines of the Mafia."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Can someone repost the trump application sites?

EDIT: Nevermind, found them.

Crain fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 17, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Yeah, Non Seriam, you can still go gently caress yourself.

And to answer your question: I've already posted about it here, but I've had family and friends get attacked by the Trumpstaffle. So take a guess.

Also to any mods watching: I'm not sure how to report this sort of thing officially, but I want to. I'm not gonna just let harassment sit and not be noticed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

there's a report button but

Not that I can see on PMs?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Carry over bullshit from the previous thread that this dude decided to bring up for a sick burn.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/jessesingal/status/799455529756139521

Follow the thread.

Basically: Trump invented that Ford was closing a plant, tweeted it, became his own source, fake news ran with it, and hours later real news finally corrected the story to no avail.

Fake news is here to stay and the President knows he can say anything and get away with it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

^^Yell corrections into the void. ^^

NewForumSoftware posted:

is this really news to you at this point?

We've been saying that right wing media has their own version of reality since before Colbert even made his joke.

Every year it's gotten worse.

At this point it's like visiting a grave site.

"Yep. It's dead still"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

-Vonnegut

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Just calling it out now: Please don't bring up that new BlackMirror episode.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Good Job you loving morons.

:eng99:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

And aren't half of them still being laid off?

We're going to see poo poo like this constantly, and be expected to grovel in gratitude.

gently caress, I bet the deal is for less than 2 years and they'll still close the plant anyway.

Or take a page from Trump's book and move the plant anyway and tell Trump to suck it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it is entirely possible that the reincarnation of FDR is not in this country and instead we get a reichstag fire

meet america in the late 1920s, where literally all the wealth was held by the 1% and people were in constant denial over their increasingly bad situation

what's old is new again

buckleup for Dust Bowl II: The Dustening where not only california suffers drought, but also the bible belt

What would a modern Reichstag fire be? I doubt we'd actually see the Capitol building burn.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

we had a prototype in the form of 9/11 and that one hosed up national security and destroyed most government accountability, now imagine another one happens

Either way, I bet if we do get something like that it'll use tannerite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edRbcTXAijY&t=135s

Cause since it's "fun toy for target shooters" the 2A people keep that poo poo readily available.

For reference that rickety barn was done in with what looks like a 18gal plastic tote box full of the stuff.

Wonder what a Ryder truck full would do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I love that Trump's election has overnight turned all Democrats into accelerationists.

Not like there's a choice. We're testing accerationism now. It's just what's happening. GOP get's to push the worse things they have the balls to go for and we'll just have to see if full republican routing does anything to the voters of this nation.

Crain fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Kro-Bar posted:

Watching Trump supporters implode has been kind of amusing at least.

https://twitter.com/therealbradg/status/804048624615198720

More like comedy.

• Locked thread