Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Hey everyone who feels like poo poo right now.

Now's not the time to play the blame game, the Bernie-would-have-won game, and so on. You got other tools to fight with.

Organize.

Unionize.

Demonstrate.

Go on strike.

it starts with cleaning up the DNC from top to bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Alright, so join the Democratic party, since you don't have much else as an alternative, and make it turn left.

What I meant was that there are still other ways to participate, and other ways to defend yourself.

i'm a registered democrat :lol:

i didn't vote for hillary because she was a lovely democrat and my state is a safe-red

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Antares posted:

lol if you think they're going to find a proper message instead of trying to be the same but 80% as racist as the fascists.

if the dems push even more rightward after this they deserve to lose

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I'm gonna white guysplain away the affected groups (too many to keep listing) who will be hosed for a second:

Yeah the loser here, as pointed out above, was the monied interests. For that we get orange hitler.

i'm not sure what you're on about, but if the dems chase republican coattails on racism and xenophobia, they deserve to lose fullstop

them sucking up to monied interests like republicans already lost them this election

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Pollyanna posted:

I just want somebody to tell me things will be okay. Failing that, what we can do to make them okay. But, if it's too early for this, I understand.

All I can do is hope, for now. But I am far from powerless, as are the rest of us. I'll do my part to make things better, to make us great, not just our country.

Progressivism hasn't lost yet. We can still keep things rolling. I just don't know how.

we have to rebuild. we need a DNC that doesn't play favorites during primaries for one

we need dems that understand that you can't win with fearmongering alone for two

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Junior G-man posted:

Global things that are now hosed:

- Paris Climate Agreement
- Sustainable Development Goals
- TTIP
- TPP
- Iran Nuclear Deal
- NATO (?)

only centrist dems liked the TPP anyway

pity we're going to go into overdrive on destroying the environment now though

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

AShamefulDisplay posted:

What about NAFTA? Trump went after it pretty hard during the campaign. Could a Trump led Republican Congress rescind on that trade agreement?

if anything good comes out of a trump presidency please let it be this

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

AShamefulDisplay posted:

"Anti establishment". Nevermind that Sanders was pretty loving establishment himself.

keep trying to drag down an actually good candidate so you feel better about your shameful one

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Lol yeah Bernie was a better candidate than Clinton Imo. Doesn't change the fact that he was a Democrat in all but name. Keep thinking your candidate was a revolutionary.

he may have been a democrat (in the traditional sense), but he wasn't an establishment one. the establishment dems are convinced that stirring speeches like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7w3Oey3xs

win votes

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

AShamefulDisplay posted:

What is even your definition of "establishment" at this point?

an establishment dem is one who agrees with those in control of the democratic party (ie: the clintons)

this isn't hard to figure out

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Dmitri-9 posted:

They aren't stupid. They are angry at clueless elites who don't have their best interests in mind and in their anger they elected a wild card.

yep. clinton was the quintessential example of this. the leaked speeches already proved that she didn't have voters best interest in mind

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

corn in the bible posted:

well whatever it doesnt matter now cause we got president trump and you better hope you aint a gay cause if you are you're gonna die just like in russia

hopefully other nations look at this and realise the truth: neo-liberalism breeds fascism

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Hillary deserves to go to jail for being such a lovely candidate. I hope Trump actually sends her to Jail.

she definitely deserves to be mocked for leaving her diehards high and dry when it came to concession time

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Comstar posted:

Whom is Trump going to blame when things go wrong? Because he will never take responsibility himself.

My bet is "liberals".

how? they don't have a lick of control?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Get in a union, get involved in demonstrations and strikes.

Donate to RAINN

Volunteer for progressive causes

If you're not already a registered Democrat, get in and wrest the party out of the hands of the right-wing

i can support this message

the dems have really poo poo the bed wrt to unions, we need to reverse that

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Go out and play Pokemon GO while lit as gently caress on weed

also gonna do this

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

if hillary was good for racial justice, why did she do her best to inflict trump on america?

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/796222841612042240?ref_src=tw

she intentionally tried to get that demagogue nominated because she figured it would make it easier for her to win. she was wrong and inflicted a racist nightmare on america instead. bernie would not have done this to us

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Main Paineframe posted:

Man, I had no loving idea the DNC was so powerful that they could rig not only the Democratic primaries but the Republican primaries as well! You'd think such a far-reaching conspiracy would be able to get the presidency, too! Unless that's just all part of "their" plan!:tinfoil:

she got what she wanted, and she lost. idiots like you were hailing this old leak as a brilliant campaign move! now you try to disown it

she wanted to put america in that corner, a choice between her or a mega racist because she figured that would win the race for her. and she was dead loving wrong and we have to pay for it now

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gail Wynand posted:

Reminder that Hitler got into office with all of 33% of the vote and had a cabinet full of "mainstream" conservative politicians who were supposed to restrain him. Three months later, democracy was dead. People are not overreacting.

maybe if the dems didn't do their damndest to help trump get the nomination we wouldn't be at ruin's doorstep. the hillary campaign unleashed cheeto benito on us and then flubbed it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Potato Salad posted:

You are still making this not about Trump, who is the Hitler is this Hitler analogue.

oh it's about trump. and how hillary made him happen

she arranged a caged death match with fascism/sexism/racism and got knocked on her rear end.

quote:

In the other thread, I was not trying the vote shaming thing. I'm asking you what was more important than a large bundle of human and voting rights. You still haven't provided an answer other than "its unfair to ask me that."

you're still not getting it, like at all. the answer is not "it's unfair to ask me that" but rather "it's idiotic to ask me that". you got your answer from the populace, "the economy stupid", and you supported a candidate that completely ignored it. for me personally, it was the humongous amount of liberal policy (environment, unions, etc. etc.) hillary tossed aside and how obviously pro-wallstreet she was. but voters in general were worried about the economy, and hillary offered nothing more than the status quo. if hillary's loyalists had pushed her more she might have actually developed a platform and won.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

furiouskoala posted:

As a Trump voter from a rural area, here is why Hillary lost.

1) Sticking to gun control. Liberals can't understand it but for a lot of people firearms are a core part of identity. Gun violence has become the terrorism of the left, something people are afraid of and want to respond to out of all proportion with it's actual danger. Do you, a law abiding gun owner want to continue doing what you've been doing? You must be okay with Sandy Hook! This is liberals.

2) Defending NAFTA and being the architect of TPP which is seen as another NAFTA. Rural people are working in car part factories making 10$ an hour with no benefits in a temp agency economy. Wanting to get rid of these trade deals was worth a lot of votes (coincidentally Bernie was against them too, which played well with Michigan autoworkers).

3) Dismissing large swaths of the country as "deplorables." Somebody not comfortable with trans people in the bathroom? People don't feel an obligation to personally sacrifice to make up for historical racism? Lets dismiss them out of hand as terrible and worthless, that'll get a lot of votes while endearing you greatly to people who while not sharing those views have relatives or friends that do and don't think they're worthless.

4) Not putting Americans first. These refugees won't do Americans any good. Maybe it's the 'right' thing to do, but it will consume resources of ours and not do one thing to improve the lives of most Americans. When you are touting these trade deals while defending bringing in these refugees, it looks an awful lot like you value them over us. Same goes for illegal aliens.

5) Abortion will never be acceptable to lots of people. If you think fetuses are people, then abortion is literally mass murder. To them, the woman's right to choose is the right to choose murder. There is no rational arbiter of whether a fetus is a human, it is close to axiomatic. This wasn't a dealbreaker though as Dems have won many elections with abortion as a core plank of the platform.

Feel free to hurl insults, just thought I'd give you some insight as to what actual rural/conservative people think and not the caricature. I'm sure liberals will mock and ignore like they always do. For people who claim to be all about equality they sure do look down on people with different values than them.

hey look, the top three could've been answered by an old man that a bird once befriended

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i can't believe clinton lost to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRfP_TEQ-g

too bad she bit off more than she could chew

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

:laffo: are you hillaries still defending abuela? hillary did not lose because of racism, she lost because she was bad. look at all the democratic red meat hillary flat out ignored:

* DAPL
* Massive uptick in earthquakes in the midwest because of fracking
* Flint
* Ferguson
* Maybe not say she wants to deport children? (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hillary-clinton-child-migrants_us_55d4a5c5e4b055a6dab24c2f)

are you going to honestly sit there and tell me hillary could not have addressed any of these things while still protecting racial justice?

of course, the easiest thing hillary could of done was developed an economic message beyond "8 more years of the status quo!". you know, the status quo that has been grinding down everyone from every race for a long time?

there were ways to advocate for both economic justice and social justice at the same time. hillary specifically chose not to do so because she was a corporatist candidate, not a democrat.

by the way, hillary put her election chances over the needs of minorities in america. she encouraged trump's nomination and actually wanted him to be the republican nominee because she thought it would make it easier for her to shore up turnout.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

negromancer posted:

That probably would have driven away even more white moderates, so we would have been in the same position.

you keep telling yourself lies like that man. democratic turnout was depressed in all categories except old, rich, and postgrad. hillary could've offered some basic resistance to trump's ideas if she wasn't spouting delirious things like "america's already great"

she was a terrible candidate instead of the safe pick she was advertised as. she was complacent and foolish and her choices during this election have brought us to ruin. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-democratic-party-deserves-to-die_us_58236ad5e4b0aac62488cde5

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

chumbler posted:

Hillary is not responsible for people electing Trump. The people who elected Trump by voting for him or not voting against him are. You can't square this circle. A very large amount of people decided that their ideological purity was more important than the lives of marginalized people because Hillary was only 90% of what they wanted instead of 100%.

she's responsible for not driving democratic turn out. she made a ton of choices that depressed our turnout and even drove a small percentage of democratic voters to vote trump (more than her positions drew republicans to her). you guys have been ignoring the basics of a campaign this entire election. people have been telling you you have to inspire voters and hillary specifically refused to do that. it was obvious since bernie's rise from practically unknown to having an arguable seat of power in what remains of the democratic party that economic issues were really loving important this election. hillary could've had an economic AND racial justice platform, but she chose to ignore the former because it conflicted with what corporate america wanted.

you keep on going on about people deciding their ideology was worth more than minority lives or something, but that is a facile view. it is ultimately and singularly hillary's responsibility to attract voters if she wants to be president. she figured she could corral voters into voting for her by orchestrating a hillary vs ruin election. her weak platform couldn't draw enough of the democrats who turned out for obama previously though, because she specifically ignored them though, and now we are stuck with the nightmare candidate. can you imagine what would've happened if this election was JEB! vs hillary?

she ignored them because she was a fool. that's also why she let an untested algorithm chart the course for her election campaign against trump.

if she had run a stronger campaign we would not have had trump. if she wasn't intentionally fostering trump during the primary, we might not have had trump.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

chumbler posted:

People deciding their ideology is worth more than minority lives "or something" is not a facile view, it is exactly what happened. Blaming Hillary for people not voting is trying to absolve the guilt of people who decided the outcome of this election on marginalized groups doesn't matter.

I don't understand how people complain that it's always the old folks and racists who care enough to vote, but oh voting isn't my responsibility, it's my party's responsibility to make me do it. It is, at the very least, disrespectful.

it's a facile view because it's based in a nonsense inversion in the relationship between voters and candidates. candidates inspire voters to vote that's why we have candidates instead of just voting for party platforms. hillary failed to do what she needed to do to win as a candidate because she depended upon and expected dem voters to turn out in obama levels for her. but obama was inspirinng as all hell.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

By definition liberals in America are supposed to stand for the rights of minorities. By choosing to not show up to vote against an explicit threat against all racial minorities, Democratic voters showed that they care more about pandering than they do about the physical well-being of their disadvantaged brothers and sisters. They cannot and should not be absolved of this because minorities should never trust white liberals again and this is why.

lots of democratic voters turned out for hillary, and the election was nearly hers. that should speak to the strength of democratic loyalty considering the lousy campaign clinton ran. but loyalty only buys you so much and in this case it wasn't enough. we needed to attract people who weren't interested enough to come out against donald trump alone (because if you think her campaign was about racial justice, well that's just silly considering her actions), and we had ways to do it. bernie's platform was a good way, and supposedly clinton was going to adopt some of that. but instead she just dropped talking about that entirely. and that cost her turnout. you can whine and say that's not fair all you want but that's the objective truth.

not every person in the US is going to be a democratic loyalist. and that's fine, it doesn't make them bad people at all. but it does mean we have to pursue them if we want a strong chance of gaining and retaining office. hillary did not pursue anyone but loyalists with her fearmongering campaign, and so shrank her maximum turnout against cheeto benito

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

chumbler posted:

None of that has any bearing at all on the fact that people who claim to be progressive knew full well what a Trump presidency and republican congress would mean for marginalized groups including white ones and decided nah, I'm fine with that. The party and candidate bear no responsibility for that. It is a purely individual failing. It is the height of a FYGM attitude and is textbook deplorable.

yes they do. if you want to win, ever again you're going to have to get that through your skull. democrats aren't the only group we rely on to get elected frequently, did you forget the independents? what did hillary do to attract them? saying trump is bad doesn't make independents vote hillary, it makes them vote for their non-trump candidate.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I didn't say anything about Hillary's campaign being about racial justice. I'm saying that an absence of care about a candidate that runs on a platform of white supremacy makes you a horrible person and a horrible liberal and claiming such status is preposterous if you couldn't be bothered to perform the literal bare minimum of civic effort and vote to protect your minority friends, family, and neighbors.

your candidate didn't put in effort and didn't inspire people to turn out. it's surprising you care about the plight of minorities and yet were wholly unaware that a lot of white people don't care about protecting minority rights. that's why you buy them off with other things (things that help minorities too!). that doesn't mean these people are actively against minorities, but you campaigned as if america had ascended into a racial justice utopia where white people were stalwart allies.

quote:

Again, this is not mutually exclusive with Hillary being a bad candidate or running a bad campaign and us needing to do better. This is about the fact that minorities are rightfully terrified that the white left will abandon them. We have already seen calls to form a white progressive party. We already had white progressives on this very board for the past year talk about how "identity politics" are a trivial sideshow to the true issues of class warfare. You might care deeply for minorities but there's a huge swath of white liberals who are only in it for the FYGM and this election showed that minorities are not safe from these people. You should consider why you don't think it's important to demonstrate to those minorities that they will still be protected, because right now nobody cares about them.

as i already said, the democrats are not a party full of loyalists, you can't expect them to turn out just based on fear. and you can expect non-democrats to turn out for us based on an anti-trump platform. scared or not, that's the reality of the situation.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

kartikeya posted:

This isn't about party loyalty, dude, it's about not electing a fascist and all of his rear end in a top hat friends to go gently caress the world, marginalized people first. It's not fearmongering, they made no secret of what they are going to do, and they are gleefully rubbing their hands together drawing up lists of exactly which things to gently caress and in what order.

this was not a convincing enough argument! first of all, it was coming out of hillary clinton, least trusted candidate in america. second of all, people aren't 100% rational machines. you can cry all you want about how it should've been, but it wasn't and people were warning it wasn't for a long time. it was the economy stupid, hillary ignored that and if she hadn't she almost definitely would've pulled the number needed to protect minorities for another 4 years.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I love that having a cavalier attitude towards the problems of white people is wrong and bad but having a cavalier attitude towards the problems of minorities is just being pragmatic.

Just because we have to kowtow to stupid people doesn't mean you need to be an rear end in a top hat to people whose lives will be ruined now.

i'm being an rear end in a top hat specifically because you are clinging to bullshit to justify hillary's loss. if we ever want to fix this situation, we have to have a clear view of what happened and "hillary lost because of racism" is reductionist to the point of being wrong and will lose us 2018.

i don't like that white people have a cavalier attitude to the plight of minorities, but that's the way things are. pandering to economic justice wouldn't have stopped hillary from being elected or protecting minorities, but she chose not to bother with economic justice and we lost. trump offered people who have been suffering for a long time a pipe-dream, while hillary offered them an 8 year continuation of the nightmare. that turned out to be the stronger issue in this election. pretending the voters we lost to trump, or the people who didn't vote for clinton are irredeemable racists isn't going to win us anything in the near future and it might actually cement the country for trump. however, if we learn our lessons and come out strong in 2018, maybe we can survive somehow.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

kartikeya posted:

I've cried quite a bit so far, it's true.

Oh, you meant 'whining', didn't you?

no i meant cry

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm disinclined to keep talking in circles about moral judgements but this make me laugh because lmao if you think leftists will recover enough to win anything in two years time. It'll take at least eight years to find enough people to win back the Presidency and Senate and probably another ten afterwards to retake the House. That's assuming we can manage to get two presidents in a row one day too.

glad you've given up. that'll surely help minorities more than trying to win something back in 2018

kartikeya posted:

Well thanks for giving me permission to mourn a bunch of entirely avoidable deaths, I guess.

you're welcome. i'm devastated too. it's too bad hillary was so arrogant or we wouldn't be in this mess. also too bad people viewed her as the "safe" candidate

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean I haven't given up in the sense that I support the same poo poo I supported before. I am simply saying that rebuilding a destroyed political party is gonna take a lot longer than two years.

agreed it'll be a lot of work, but we don't know what can happen in two years. we can only work as hard as we can for the future we want if we're going to survive this

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Mister Macys posted:

Personally, I was picturing a poor Democrat family that voted in 2008/12 that stayed home (one of the six million) as my example. Plenty of room for interpretation, I suppose.

*They believe in Obama's message, and there they are; eight years later, now with a kid or two, and no better/even worse off.
And along comes Bernie, and he's saying (some of) the right things! But he loses... Then into their community hockey arena comes Hillary, the wife of a president! But... she doesn't tell them anything they want to hear that will address their issues, not even a lie.*

I mean, what the gently caress Hill-dawg. You're a career politician, and you're not even going to lie to people to get their vote? You're going to half-rear end an answer and evade the issue? Not tell them what they want to hear? Are you really sure you want to be President?

it's cool she lied to people all the time otherwise

that sure didn't hurt her chances

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I will be really honest and say that we do know what will happen in two years: the dismantling of every good thing that has happened since Ronald Reagan left office.

The real, big, important question hanging over us like a sword is, will voters be smart enough to connect the dots that the Republicans are the problem in this scenario.

that's what's likely to happen yes. but it could also fail to happen. remember what people were saying this entire election: "trump can never be president". he proved people wrong in the primaries and he proved people wrong in the general. so don't fall into the trap of thinking the future's certain, because if anything this election has taught us that's not true

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

I think that's the difference between us. You took the lesson from Trump that the future is uncertain. I took away that the worst outcome will always find a way to prevail, eventually.

that's not true either or we'd still be in feudalism living in pig slop. or we would already be extinct. don't give in to fatalism because of this surprising loss, that only helps trump

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

:eek: case in point

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

PKJC posted:

VP elect pence wants lgbt people to be extinct sooooooo

how did we reach the point where lgbt people could get married? was it because the absolute worst thing is always guaranteed to happen? we've been dealt a major setback, but if we just accept death then we'll never get what we want. so don't embrace fatalistic garbage and instead work and work hard to reform the democrats into a powerful party that fights for racial, social, and economic justice instead of hiding its positions for fear that the fragile moderate voter will get the vapors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

The progressives don't owe Hillary their vote but they do owe it to minorities to stand up for them by voting against fascism.

Progressives aren't progressive if we abandon the disadvantaged when we want to throw a tantrum.

i've already made it clear to you that this strategy doesn't work. it didn't work for hillary and it won't work for you. face up to the fact that hillary didn't do what she needed to to win. face up to the fact that shaming voters into voting for your side doesn't work, and give up on it as a political strategy

• Locked thread