Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Jill Stein uncovering a Russian intelligence operation to rig an American election is the sort of thing that could only happen an insane fever dream so I fully expect it to happen

Honestly, is it any less likely than Donald Trump becoming President?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tiberius Christ posted:

Hillary spent over a billion dollars and lost. Trump didn't need to because he had a message that voters wanted.

You mean the message that 2 million fewer people wanted that just happened to be arbitrarily distributed in key states?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Youre all about diversity until its working against you. Not to say the current EC is perfect, but i dont want my president creating her whole platform for NY, CHI and LA and saying "everyone else can suck it".

Ah yes, so the President should craft their whole platform for Ohio, North Carolina, Florida, and Iowa, and everyone else outside of those states should suck it. That's the system that works the best!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Also the argument that "If we abolished the Electoral College presidential candidates would just campaign on the coasts" is ridiculous. Hell, Texas is the second-largest state in the country, you think Hillary wouldn't have held rallies in San Antonio or Trump in Dallas if the popular vote mattered?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Niton posted:

No, but that's what happened in 2012: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2012

In 2016, we merely required 55,000 more voters per Congressional seat than the Republicans (255k vs 310k).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections,_2016

--

Small states already have disproportionate power (intentionally) in the Senate, and (unintentionally) in the House. A tyranny of the minority in all three elections is less democratic than anything you've proposed.

It's worth noting that the House has been capped at 435 seats since 1916, when the population of the United States was 102 million. We're at 320 million now, and would have ~1300 congressmen if that ratio had been kept the same, and therefore 1400 Electoral Votes. If we wanted to fix the Electoral College and help break gerrymandering in one shot, we'd simply increase the number of Congressmen to a more representative level-but we won't, because :suicide:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
And even if it was 2 billion a year, is that really a price that's too high to pay to unfuck the Electoral College and weaken the influence of gerrymandering?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
gently caress they don't vote simultaneously on most things now, there's literally an hour window where people just run over to their seat and press a button (Or have someone press it for them).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
People used to literally have sticks so they could reach over and vote for people seated at the desks in front of or behind them :911:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Inferior Third Season posted:

I'm not suggesting state consolidation is realistically in the cards. I'm saying that one should consider the nature of what a state is in the present day, and how they came to be, before trotting out the argument about how important it is to protect the outsized political power of less-populated states.

I'll also mention that the ratio of population between most populous state to least populous state when the U.S. was formed was about 17. Today, it is about 70. That's a quadrupling of Senate power for the smallest state. I don't think the framers intended for states to have such dramatic differences in population.

It's worth mentioning that the House was meant to be the counterbalance to influence of smaller states in the Senate, but since the House has been capped at 435 members for over a hundred years, disproportionate representation has completely wiped out the supposed advantage in population.

Really, the Constitution's biggest issues in the modern day don't have as much to do with the document itself, which is still fairly serviceable, but instead the layers of tradition and inertia gathered around it that have effectively warped much of the Founders' original intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

phasmid posted:

Yeah. More evidence that they didn't do as much reaching out as was pretended.

There was a ton of reaching out that was done, but it ended up happening in places like Texas and Arizona, where the increased latino vote couldn't overcome the massive white margins for Trump. It did help save Nevada's Senate seat, though.

• Locked thread