Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Given that this surprised even the Republicans - perhaps Trump himself if he isn't completely in the reality bubble - I don't think it is worthwhile to throw much recrimination on re-litigating the Bernie/Hillary fight. I mean, I know it's going to happen because God forbid we let anything go, but I think that is an important fact to keep in mind. The Republicans were surprised too.

Whatever happens in the next couple of years belongs to Domald Tromp and the Republican Party. Good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

If it happens say two months before 2018, or after it will be blamed on the GOP. Its not so much about facts its perception, if they're in the drivers seat they will get blamed.
I dunno, as the party of personal responsibility they're super good at finding reasons why they aren't to blame for anything negative

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I feel the Democratic Party needs to immediately recruit John Cena

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ratoslov posted:

That would actually be a pretty good idea.
Yeah I'm not actually really kidding, although there are likely other people who fit the package John Cena has. He's relatively young, physically attractive, quick-witted and spontaneous, charming, able to hit Mitch McConnell with the loving AA, and based on that video he cut, is completely on board with a message that appeals to and embraces the diversity of America. Maybe get him in a House seat for a little while and then run him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Goon Danton posted:

Looking at this from the cold light of the morning, setting aside the shock and despair and the casting of blame, setting aside our fears about what will happen, what do we do now? Not "what do we do to prepare for 2020" or "what do we do to fight back in the midterms," but what do we do now? I'm trying to think of ways to mitigate the damage or help the people who will be hurt or even just cope with it psychologically, but I'm coming up empty.
Well my own plan is that for the next couple of weeks I am going to take it easy and probably skip out on reading too many threads about Bernie Sanders' contrahistorical inevitable triumph. I think that we need to be gentle with ourselves and refill our mental reserves. But that's mostly psychological coping.

As for helping the people who will be hurt, the most direct way is to look out around your own social matrices and see where you can help people out at all. I spent a lot of the later evening basically hitting up everyone I saw who I was close to and telling them I loved them, if sometimes in the ol' Louis Armstrong sense. Because I do and I did. A little of it was of course suicide prevention, but a lot of it was because I wanted to make that clear to them.

I haven't lost hope for the future. I'm hoping Obama is going to help clean up the Democratic Party and lead them into the future.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

Organize, also as Cali, MA just legalized MJ I think its time to push the dems to make it a major policy goal to stop its prohibition. Likewise as Trump is certainly going to let Guiliani try to shut down pot sellers its time to start organizing over that banner we stopped waving in 2009, states rights. Meanwhile organize with BLM, be ready to organize against the Order of Thugs seeing this as a way to go whole hog on their murder sprees. Finally, continue to push for the fight for 15. The future is theirs only if you let the sociopaths win. Also maybe start considering why the second is so important and consider Trump could be a buchanon.
I assume with the latter part you mean he's going to appease a section of the country as it falls into secession? I think the big problem here in a way, is that there is not geographic continuity between the homes of what I guess you could call, in a very generic way, 'blue state people.' While there is a little state identity and regional identity, I don't think it veers into "nationalism."

So I don't think the South is gonna secede unless they actually do reinstate for-real, original-recipe slavery (which seems implausible) or find some other distinguishing underlying economic bullshit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I suspect John Roberts is going to be at least something of a steering brake for immediate giant court-pack shenanigans, since he seems to actually give a poo poo about the legitimacy of the SCOTUS. He knows well, I'm sure, that the institution is not nearly as fixed as others, and if Donald Trump packs it up to 13 in order to rubber-stamp repealing an entire conservative wish-list, it is not impossible that the inevitable waning of Republican power - whether to the Democrats, the Neo-Progressives, the Zeonic Front, or the US military deciding to progress down the Rome timeline - leads to the dissolution of the Supreme Court, as presently constituted.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chump Farts posted:

Would a Sanders Warren ticket have won this?
Unknown, counterfactuals are hard to prove. However, I suspect that Trump did not prevail due to a lack of hectoring speeches, which - as wonderful as both of those people are - seemed to be their primary strength.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BarbarianElephant posted:

Why would you suppose the military believe in climate change, or care?
The Pentagon has been analysing its impacts for a while.

Maybe Trump will try to purge the officer corps over climate change belief-having.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

What's your point exactly? "That trump gets to say anything and get away with it. Haha sucks to be America!" Or what?
He's a ghost who died in a Bitcoin mining accident, don't trust his deceitful ghostwords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

What are you talking about? Things are great in the red states, we don't have the property cost issues or crime issues you guys have

Luckily for the coast, the Trumpster is gonna make them great again :smugdon:
hm yes everything was fine in the red states

good analysis, bitcoin ghost

• Locked thread