Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
scotus is going to overturn the gay marriage decision. at best they'll make it a state's right but more likely theyll ban it entirely. so i hope people enjoyed being married for a few years before literally murdering homosexuals became legal in the 2017 NOHOMO ACT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

corn in the bible posted:

scotus is going to overturn the gay marriage decision. at best they'll make it a state's right but more likely theyll ban it entirely. so i hope people enjoyed being married for a few years before literally murdering homosexuals became legal in the 2017 NOHOMO ACT

if this actually happens, there's one silver lining: A whole bunch of white men are going to get taken down a peg thanks to the guy they seemed to overwhelmingly support

i don't know what the gently caress gay men were doing this election but they deserve what Trump is going to do to them

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
If this exit poll is accurate, LGBT support for Trump was actually really low.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/11/09/just-14-percent-of-lgbt-people-voted-for-donald-trump-exit-poll-reveals/

It's crazy to think that Trump support from Latino voters was like twice as high.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
I'm glad I get to look forward to no employment or housing protection for another 4 years. I feel like gay marriage will become a state by state thing again. I truly don't know about Lawrence v Texas.
:ohdear:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Nice thread you got here... would be terrible if something bad happened to it

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Karl Barks posted:

Nice thread you got here... would be terrible if something bad happened to it

too hung over rn

op is right in a blistering sarcastic way tho

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the 5 justices who pushed gay marriage through are still alive and on the court.

I guess if RBG dies, but if that happens everything will be bad LOL

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
gay people are gonna be fine. they're too good for business. it'd be like heavy industry going back to tractors after discovering how awesome it is to build and sell tanks

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
She's a human, and she's comin'

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Karl Barks posted:

the 5 justices who pushed gay marriage through are still alive and on the court.

I guess if RBG dies, but if that happens everything will be bad LOL

Ginsberg is 83 years old

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LegoPirateNinja posted:

gay people are gonna be fine. they're too good for business. it'd be like heavy industry going back to tractors after discovering how awesome it is to build and sell tanks

Same reason weed (probably) will be left alone

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

LegoPirateNinja posted:

You, uh, might want to look at what happened to the Dow when Trump was elected before you go around saying Republicans won't do something because it'd be bad for business.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Lastgirl posted:

too hung over rn

op is right in a blistering sarcastic way tho

hope you're nursing that hangover well BTW.. Gatorade!!!

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Ginsberg is 83 years old

Stevens was 90 when he retired 6 years ago and he's still alive. She's a reasonably healthy elderly woman, she can suck it up and not die for four years.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

The Larch posted:

You, uh, might want to look at what happened to the Dow when Trump was elected before you go around saying Republicans won't do something because it'd be bad for business.

The same DOW that's up 264 points?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

How can Trump appeal a Supreme Court decision in same sex marriage? Serious question, because now I know he has the house and possibly the Supreme Court when one of the judges steps down

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
Pass a new law that goes against previously held Supreme Court decision. Enforce the new law. That's all it takes. Hopefully, eventually the unconstitutional law would be contested and brought back to the Supreme Court and struck down but there's a lot of time for loving people over in the meantime.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
join the marines

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

A Pale Horse posted:

Stevens was 90 when he retired 6 years ago and he's still alive. She's a reasonably healthy elderly woman, she can suck it up and not die for four years.

Uhh, you do know she's had two bouts with cancer already and had to have a heart procedure a couple years ago, right?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
fwiw most commentators on the supreme court think roe v wade is dead if kennedy retires, but obergefell probably will stand

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

MaxxBot posted:

If this exit poll is accurate, LGBT support for Trump was actually really low.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/11/09/just-14-percent-of-lgbt-people-voted-for-donald-trump-exit-poll-reveals/

It's crazy to think that Trump support from Latino voters was like twice as high.

Good percentage of latinos are catholic. They hate abortion with the fury of 1000 suns and, last I checked, do not like gay people.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

LegoPirateNinja posted:

this

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Docahedron posted:

Good percentage of latinos are catholic. They hate abortion with the fury of 1000 suns and, last I checked, do not like gay people.

The former is overstated and the latter isn't true anymore, people keep repeating this 90s-2000s era talking point, things change.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
dont mind me just settin my gay lures over here

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ohhh nm looks like we already caught one or two

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Also as shown by polling of Catholics in the US, they generally don't give a gently caress about the church teachings. They have supported gay marriage at higher rates than the general public in every poll I have seen.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

MaxxBot posted:

Also as shown by polling of Catholics in the US, they generally don't give a gently caress about the church teachings. They have supported gay marriage at higher rates than the general public in every poll I have seen.

are you trying to tell me that neoliberals are out of touch? becuase that is like saying fire is hot.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

dont mind me just settin my gay lures over here

got my poke balls ready

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
actually, God-Emperor Trump is pretty cool with gay people

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Pence ain't

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I doubt it, to be real for a sake

It would be pretty poisonous to tell people (even the GAYES) that they have to un-marry. That might be too cruel even for Trump.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Trump's official position on gay marriage is "let the states decide".

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Trump doesn't have to do it, he can leave it up to his ultraconservative allies throughout government. He might even pass some new Religious Freedom law stating that the Feds have no business controlling who can marry, leaving the legality up to the states, or cities, or local communities to decide. That would please lots of deep red staters whilst allowing gay people to flee to the coasts as usual.

edit: beaten, and more concisely too.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gay marriage is wildly popular now and abortion is still roughly 50/50 so my guess is roe becomes a higher priority for a trump appointee and court than obergefell. it might be handled incidentally because we live in the time of monsters

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Fargo Fukes posted:

Trump doesn't have to do it, he can leave it up to his ultraconservative allies throughout government. He might even pass some new Religious Freedom law stating that the Feds have no business controlling who can marry, leaving the legality up to the states, or cities, or local communities to decide. That would please lots of deep red staters whilst allowing gay people to flee to the coasts as usual.

edit: beaten, and more concisely too.

The president doesn't make laws. Only Congress does. The president can only influence domestic laws by talking with Congress, and vetoing laws. He isn't going to do either when Congress tries to ban same sex relations.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Homework Explainer posted:

gay marriage is wildly popular now and abortion is still roughly 50/50 so my guess is roe becomes a higher priority for a trump appointee and court than obergefell. it might be handled incidentally because we live in the time of monsters

There's probably no way Roe v. Wade gets struck down considering Anthony Kennedy and David Souter (both Repub appointments) actually defended it before and it's also supported by like 70% of the population and also that fuckhead Scalia died, who was the one who wanted it gone the most. Most of the court doesn't support partial birth abortions (AKA the one where they chop the baby up and pull it out, which accounted for 0.17% of all abortions) but they still support abortion rights.

BlueberryCanary posted:

The president doesn't make laws. Only Congress does. The president can only influence domestic laws by talking with Congress, and vetoing laws. He isn't going to do either when Congress tries to ban same sex relations.

It would be really, really hard to tell people to un-marry and would probably be a bad move, politically. Most people have seen that America doesn't crumble when the gay can get married by now, I'd like to think.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Teikanmi posted:

There's probably no way Roe v. Wade gets struck down considering Anthony Kennedy and David Souter (both Repub appointments) actually defended it before and it's also supported by like 70% of the population and also that fuckhead Scalia died, who was the one who wanted it gone the most. Most of the court doesn't support partial birth abortions (AKA the one where they chop the baby up and pull it out, which accounted for 0.17% of all abortions) but they still support abortion rights.

personally I don't think Roe v Wade will ever be overturned because it gets the evangelical voting block/singe issue Catholics/others to the polls (for Republicans) too well.

However a republican house and senate and the state legislatures could easily make it near impossible to get access to abortions while continuing to talk about overturning Roe v Wade (thus getting those same voters out) into eternity.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My take:
-Trans people out of the military. I doubt that'll stay. We may see the return of DADT, pre-DADT policy, or no change.
-In terms of same-sex marriage? It's a very, very sticky situation. The precedent is there, and appointing Scalia 2.0 isn't going to change it since it's still 5-4 with the new one. The court would also have to wrangle with effectively divorcing everyone.
-DOMA may make a return, may not. Again, 5 votes against it currently.
-Bathroom laws are going to be the LGBTQ oppression du jour, though they may get nuked, who knows.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Poco posted:

personally I don't think Roe v Wade will ever be overturned because it gets the evangelical voting block/singe issue Catholics/others to the polls (for Republicans) too well.

However a republican house and senate and the state legislatures could easily make it near impossible to get access to abortions while continuing to talk about overturning Roe v Wade (thus getting those same voters out) into eternity.

Then it creates the underground, more dangerous and expensive market - an even worse option. I guess time will tell, but I'll try to be hopeful that social rights don't get completely buttfucked by this congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Why are so many people in this thread thinking this batch of Republicans will be reasonable or politically shrewd? It's proven to be much more effective for them to not be those things.

• Locked thread