Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mental-Rectangle posted:

Why are so many people in this thread thinking this batch of Republicans will be reasonable or politically shrewd? It's proven to be much more effective for them to not be those things.

It's basically all anyone has at this point save for just blowing their brains out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Teikanmi posted:

Then it creates the underground, more dangerous and expensive market - an even worse option. I guess time will tell, but I'll try to be hopeful that social rights don't get completely buttfucked by this congress.

single issue anti-abortion voters are legitimately some of the most insane people I've met. describe the scenario you listed to a PP protestor and they'll probably tell you that if the mother dies during an illegal procedure, it's god's just punishment for murdering a baby.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My aunt is one of them. She sends a Christmas card every year and it always said things like "Vote for George W. Bush please - He supports the unborn children" and other poo poo like that. Another girl I knew had her MySpace (yeah, it was a while ago) loving COVERED in pictures of dead fetuses. She posted all day about how horrible abortion was and what an awful world we live in and would gently caress any guy she could find (unprotected) so that she could have a baby ASAP.

She was on the local police website last year, she got arrested for menacing and domestic abuse. :lol:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mental-Rectangle posted:

Why are so many people in this thread thinking this batch of Republicans will be reasonable or politically shrewd? It's proven to be much more effective for them to not be those things.

After 8 years of Obama (i.e. 8 years of idiot jesus crazies freaking out about a muslim president) instead of a pent up overdue religious uprising, Trump destroyed all the crazy jesus freaks without really trying to pander to their bases. It's hard to think that lesson can be just completely ignored.

I just kind of think the religious right's time is over :shrug: Maybe naive

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

After 8 years of Obama (i.e. 8 years of idiot jesus crazies freaking out about a muslim president) instead of a pent up overdue religious uprising, Trump destroyed all the crazy jesus freaks without really trying to pander to their bases. It's hard to think that lesson can be just completely ignored.

His VP is Mike loving Pence.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, no. The religious extremists are here to stay. Pence is infinitely more dangerous than Trump.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, no. The religious extremists are here to stay. Pence is infinitely more dangerous than Trump.

This is the guy who wants to redirect all AIDS funding to conversion therapy aka torturing gay kids straight. If you seriously think for one second that a Trump administration is not going to result in a heap of gay corpses, prepare to get woke.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

The Oldest Man posted:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Oldest Man posted:

This is the guy who wants to redirect all AIDS funding to conversion therapy aka torturing gay kids straight. If you seriously think for one second that a Trump administration is not going to result in a heap of gay corpses, prepare to get woke.

Like I'm not even kidding, LGBT and women's rights are dead in the water until at least 2020. We need to start fighting back now.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

It's true that Trump is a more secular candidate than Republicans have run in the past, and perhaps that contributed to his win. Much like democrats can win the black voting bloc without actually giving them anything, republicans can win the evangelical bloc without giving them anything. But Trump did promise to give them some things, so... I expect we'll see some regressions for the next four years.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Gay people have a lot to fear from a NYC cosmopolitan who was publicly for gay marriage almost a decade before Hillary or Barack Obama were

They gonna put ya'll back in chains

walgreenslatino has issued a correction as of 20:56 on Nov 11, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
evangelicals don't care about god, they care about forcing people to have babies and keeping gay people from fuckin

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

walgreenslatino posted:

Gay people have a lot to fear from a NYC cosmopolitan who was for publicly for gay marriage almost a decade before Hillary or Barack Obama were

They gonna put ya'll back in chains

Well, the question is, does Trump care enough to openly oppose Pence et al on social issues? He wasn't shy about contradicting Pence on foreign policy (e.g. Russia & Ukraine), but he's also repeatedly promised to put only Heritage Foundation-approved justices on the Supreme Court and stated his opposition to abortion & Oberfell during the campaign. That sounds like, whatever his personal feelings on the matter are, that he doesn't care enough to oppose the GOP.

(That's bad.)

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Remember the last time the Supreme Court thought it prudent to overturn a landmark case it ruled on a mere two years earlier? Yeah me neither, weird

You're telling me you don't remember [looks at law textbook] Oregon ex rel. State Land Board v. Corvallis Sand & Gravel Co.???

walgreenslatino has issued a correction as of 21:08 on Nov 11, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I'd assume they wouldn't outright overturn e.g. Oberfell, but instead dramatically weaken and chip away at it until it became irrelevant.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mike Pence now running the transition team:
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/pence-to-take-over-trumps-transition-effort-from-christie-231251

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

actually, God-Emperor Trump is pretty cool with gay people

His response to the Orlando shooting was gay people need more guns

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

That's called "Assassination Deterrent".

Don't even think about blowing away Big Don, because you'll end up with Pence.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

wow thats almost as bad as saying gay people should die ur right

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

See? Transition Team. It's fine. Everything's fine.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

wow thats almost as bad as saying gay people should die ur right

Trumps mentor was a man who destroyed peoples lives with fear of being secretly gay, jewish, communist, ect.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Venom Snake posted:

Pink Pistols saw its largest member increase in its entire history so I guess some gay people agreed

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Venom Snake posted:

Trumps mentor was a man who destroyed peoples lives with fear of being secretly gay, jewish, communist, ect.

And Obama's mentor was a man who screamed from the pulpit that gays, Jews, feminists, and white people were in league with Satan and responsible for 9/11. His strongest most fervent demographic of supporters were one of the most, if not the most, anti-gay demographics in the entire country.

We can literally play this game all drat day.

There are supposedly reasonable people on my Facebook right now screaming that they are about to be sent to FEMA deathcamps for the crime of being married. I hate trump. He's a piece of poo poo, there's so many reasons to criticize him. But the rhetoric has gotten out of control.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

walgreenslatino posted:

And Obama's mentor was a man who screamed from the pulpit that gays, Jews, feminists, and white people were in league with Satan and responsible for 9/11. His strongest most fervent demographic of supporters were one of the most, if not the most, anti-gay demographics in the entire country.

We can literally play this game all drat day.

There are supposedly reasonable people on my Facebook right now screaming that they are about to be sent to FEMA deathcamps for the crime of being married. I hate trump. He's a piece of poo poo, there's so many reasons to criticize him. But the rhetoric has gotten out of control.

lmao Trumps mentor Roy literally fueled and directed McCarthyism. Reverend Wright ain't got poo poo on McCarthy and Roy Cohen.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

lmao Trumps mentor Roy literally fueled and directed McCarthyism.

yes, he did

SIXTY years ago

but okay im sure thats not important

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

walgreenslatino posted:

Pink Pistols saw its largest member increase in its entire history so I guess some gay people agreed

My uber-left ban-all-guns gay friends are posting things on FB discussing concealed carry, even I was surprised.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

yes, he did

SIXTY years ago

but okay im sure thats not important

Trump used Roys playbook to win. He's going to continue using it.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
people who voted for trump by and large didn't vote for trump over gay rights and I reckon he knows it. I think most repub politicians are happy to just leave obergefell as it is since it settles the issue and lets them wipe their hands of it and move on.

more likely you'll just see four more years of no change on gay rights at all, positive or negative (aside from meaningless bullshit like letting bakers not make cakes or whatever :qq:)

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Slugnoid posted:

people who voted for trump by and large didn't vote for trump over gay rights and I reckon he knows it. I think most repub politicians are happy to just leave obergefell as it is since it settles the issue and lets them wipe their hands of it and move on.

Yeah that's what I was eventually trying to get at but I went into an admittedly kinda stupid thing about Rev. Wright haha

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If Obergefell were to actually be repealed, what happens to married people in states who had or pass bills banning same-sex marriage? Just :lol: sucks for you?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Slugnoid posted:

more likely you'll just see four more years of no change on gay rights at all, positive or negative (aside from meaningless bullshit like letting bakers not make cakes or whatever :qq:)

I don't think there will be any huge, monumental changes like undoing Oberegefell, just probably more of the "religious freedom" bill bullshit.

Clunk Tap It
May 1, 2014

Mental-Rectangle posted:

Phil Scott, the new Republican governor of New Hampshire and a former senator is actually pro-choice and pro gay marriage. That's just some random fact I learned today and definitely not a trend, but the GOP isn't a single malicious hive-mind.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reducing the entire GOP to what the loudmouth evangelicals think is almost as retarded as assuming that minorities will always vote Democrat unconditionally

But uhhhhhh

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lmfao I just had a cool idea. The GOP has much weaker national leadership than the DNC. That's what allowed trump who was basically your average NY neoliberal to run under their banner. If we can't make the DNC great again, what stops us from hijacking the GOP?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Larry Parrish posted:

Lmfao I just had a cool idea. The GOP has much weaker national leadership than the DNC. That's what allowed trump who was basically your average NY neoliberal to run under their banner. If we can't make the DNC great again, what stops us from hijacking the GOP?

We already did that once, 2006 and 2008 with Howard Dean.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

iospace posted:

We already did that once, 2006 and 2008 with Howard Dean.

And then all those pieces of poo poo ran away from Obama in 2010 and got annihilated.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

If Obergefell were to actually be repealed, what happens to married people in states who had or pass bills banning same-sex marriage? Just :lol: sucks for you?

the biggest administrative clusterfuck in history.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nonsense posted:

And then all those pieces of poo poo ran away from Obama in 2010 and got annihilated.

Why the hell did they do that?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

iospace posted:

Why the hell did they do that?

Because Fox News and Breitbart and Rush and Beck made people scared as hell and angry and sent them loose into town halls to demand the gubermint to not intervene for them to be able to get health care.

They didn't have a plan, the 50 state strategy was long scrapped, and messaging support was nonexistent. Cue midterm bloodbath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

Clunk Tap It posted:

Phil Scott, the new Republican governor of New Hampshire and a former senator is actually pro-choice and pro gay marriage. That's just some random fact I learned today and definitely not a trend, but the GOP isn't a single malicious hive-mind.

NH's governor is Chris Sununu now.

Edit: you're thinking Vermont I believe.

• Locked thread