Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sun Walker
Jul 20, 2001

I'm still looking for these angels in the snow...

Clunk Tap It posted:

Phil Scott, the new Republican governor of New Hampshire and a former senator is actually pro-choice and pro gay marriage. That's just some random fact I learned today and definitely not a trend, but the GOP isn't a single malicious hive-mind.
Did you mean Chris Sununu? Phil Scott is the governor of Vermont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the thing about people celebrating the death of the "religious right" is that sincerely-held religious beliefs haven't been the actual reason for virulent homophobes - the ones actually trying to pass anti-gay legislation and committing violent hate crimes rather than just going "eww" when two dudes kiss - in decades, if they ever were

all one needs to do to figure that out is take a cursory glance at the alt-right and some of the communities it built a coalition from to see that they hate lgbt people and the reasons have more to do with a mixture of misogyny, the perception of weakness, and junk/bullshit "science" than they do with sincere faith in the lord our christ who hates the queers

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

wizard on a water slide posted:

the thing about people celebrating the death of the "religious right" is that sincerely-held religious beliefs haven't been the actual reason for virulent homophobes - the ones actually trying to pass anti-gay legislation and committing violent hate crimes rather than just going "eww" when two dudes kiss - in decades, if they ever were

all one needs to do to figure that out is take a cursory glance at the alt-right and some of the communities it built a coalition from to see that they hate lgbt people and the reasons have more to do with a mixture of misogyny, the perception of weakness, and junk/bullshit "science" than they do with sincere faith in the lord our christ who hates the queers

I don't doubt you're right about the alt-right fuckos, but on the other hand I have no problem at all thinking that guys like Mike Pence sincerely believe that god wants them to hate the way they do, and that such hatred has scriptural justification.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

I'd assume they wouldn't outright overturn e.g. Oberfell, but instead dramatically weaken and chip away at it until it became irrelevant.

How exactly would you "chip away" at Obergefell?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Slugnoid posted:

people who voted for trump by and large didn't vote for trump over gay rights and I reckon he knows it. I think most repub politicians are happy to just leave obergefell as it is since it settles the issue and lets them wipe their hands of it and move on.

more likely you'll just see four more years of no change on gay rights at all, positive or negative (aside from meaningless bullshit like letting bakers not make cakes or whatever :qq:)

ehhh there'll be more religious "freedom" laws which will trigger a court case to overturn it when the next liberal justice leaves the court

knowing congress, it will be some law that will allow christian owned businesses to dump toxic materials directly onto playgrounds because jesus

edit:
wait they already do that with shredded tires :allears:

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

platzapS posted:

How exactly would you "chip away" at Obergefell?

same way you chip away at roe v. wade, put up a bunch of dumb obstructionist poo poo

oh you want to marry a same sex couple? you must have a marriage license that costs $50,000 (marriage license is free if you're an ordained minister within the state)

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

same way you chip away at roe v. wade, put up a bunch of dumb obstructionist poo poo

oh you want to marry a same sex couple? you must have a marriage license that costs $50,000 (marriage license is free if you're an ordained minister within the state)

No court would allow a huge fee for some types of marriages and not others. I guess individual counties could get rid of courthouse marriages entirely, which would mean (at worst) couples would have to find a liberal minister or drive to another county. This would be inconvenient but would hardly make Obergefell (in PleasingFungus' words) "irrelevant".

platzapS has issued a correction as of 01:49 on Nov 15, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't doubt you're right about the alt-right fuckos, but on the other hand I have no problem at all thinking that guys like Mike Pence sincerely believe that god wants them to hate the way they do, and that such hatred has scriptural justification.

Sure, all I was proposing is that homophobia is an older, complicated problem and it's naive to believe that getting Abrahamic theology out of government will dispense with it

It probably can't hurt; then again, religious morality may also be one of the barriers homophobes have against the dehumanizing treatment of LGBTQ people

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I mean, who cares? Gays will be fine. Only women will be hosed by this male-supremacist cabinet, and those women could use a good corrective dicking, amirite guys?

...I am practicing my rhetoric to fit in! Did I do it right?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mirthless posted:

if this actually happens, there's one silver lining: A whole bunch of white men are going to get taken down a peg thanks to the guy they seemed to overwhelmingly support

i don't know what the gently caress gay men were doing this election but they deserve what Trump is going to do to them

Oh yeah, the gays 4 Trump vote was huge. You idiot. Generally saying 'they'll get what they deserve' does your side no favors

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Serioustalk the Obama administration made a lot of quiet changes to Federal treatment of transgender people without congress or the supreme court that would not be hard for a Republican administration to undo, including making it more accessible for people to change their gender designation on passports and travel documentation, within the social security system, and nondiscrimination protections in federal employment. Its hardly being herded into camps, but I would not be surprised if many of those are reversed in the coming years.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

tower time posted:

Serioustalk the Obama administration made a lot of quiet changes to Federal treatment of transgender people without congress or the supreme court that would not be hard for a Republican administration to undo, including making it more accessible for people to change their gender designation on passports and travel documentation, within the social security system, and nondiscrimination protections in federal employment. Its hardly being herded into camps, but I would not be surprised if many of those are reversed in the coming years.

There's been a huge rush of people getting papers done who didn't give that much of a poo poo (or were expecting to be able to take it slow, because it can still be expensive) for that reason; pretty much everything resembling trans rights at this point at the federal level has been 2nd term executive decisions with almost nothing actually going through congress (where even the dems have a history of loving us over) or the supreme court (I think there might be one case related to bathroom laws in the backlogs, but bathroom legislation in general is incredibly recent anyway).

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Yeah. The Supreme court issued a stay on a ruling for bathrooms/locker rooms in public schools until the SC vacancy was filled. Which while I understand the desire to not make contentious rulings during a period where the bench is unfilled, its pretty messed up when the situation was artificially created/extended by congress in the first place :sigh:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Oh yeah, the gays 4 Trump vote was huge. You idiot. Generally saying 'they'll get what they deserve' does your side no favors

Yeah I don't know where this idea that tons of gays voted for Trump came from.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

They voted for Trump at a lower rate than nonwhites did, but yeah let's blame the loving gays for Trump.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

They didn't have a plan, the 50 state strategy was long scrapped, and messaging support was nonexistent. Cue midterm bloodbath.

It has been six years and DNC leadership still doesn't have any answer whatsoever to breitbart and it's, quite frankly, pathetic.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

tower time posted:

Yeah. The Supreme court issued a stay on a ruling for bathrooms/locker rooms in public schools until the SC vacancy was filled. Which while I understand the desire to not make contentious rulings during a period where the bench is unfilled, its pretty messed up when the situation was artificially created/extended by congress in the first place :sigh:

Yeah, I still don't understand how it even is considered contentious. It's not like it's new, every decade there seems to be a new batch of somewhat tone deaf, often older transitioners who think they're pioneers because they didn't realize we were around until last month and somehow this kind of story still ends up impressing cis people in the media. Yet bathroom laws didn't happen during the Bush era, was never legislated about and somehow they're humoring the sides that's tried to restrict something that never was. Like I get that they're a court but still. It almost feels like a consolation prize for Obergefell.

Basically let's hope that RBG doesn't die, that Kennedy still has a pretense of decency, and that the bastards at HRC don't go full log cabin.

I wouldn't put it past Sessions to try to stack the court anyway.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MaxxBot posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

They voted for Trump at a lower rate than nonwhites did, but yeah let's blame the loving gays for Trump.

15% is still way too many but yea

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

MaxxBot posted:

It's my own fault for reading a Mirthless post.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Gays 4 Trump was a 'thing' in the LGBT community to discuss during the election because the Milo/GOProud crowd made a huuuuge show of running around Twitter acting like Trump was a big queer revolution because he held a flag upside down and said 'LG...BT....Q' during a republican convention and clearly that undoes everything else about him and his crew.

Of course it was quickly made not a 'thing' when every poll showed the vast majority of the LGBT community shockingly weren't stupid enough to fall for it. Doesn't stop a few very woke people from blaming us for trump still to this day at times, though.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
that acronym is so terrible

completely unpronounceable and ends in a goddamn Q what were they thinking

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you can't say 'L-G-B-T-Q'?

Well if that's a complex term somehow you literally can't go wrong with 'gsm'

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I hate the acronym, it sounds very awkward and over-the-top PC. I just say queer, or sexual minority.

Unless they're a friend of mine in which case we call each other faggots.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what about quiltbag, the worst acronym?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Jose posted:

what about quiltbag, the worst acronym?

what's the u

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
"undecided"

lol

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"undecided"

lol

the ken bone of gender/sexuality

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I'm personally fine with an acronym that sounds like a disappointing sandwich, but that's just me.

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe
A trans-person I knew a few years ago used GSRM for gender, sexual, romantic minorities which I personally find less awkward than LGBTQ but I'm a straight guy so whatever

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
GSRM, celebrated author of gayme of thrones

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mental-Rectangle posted:

I hate the acronym, it sounds very awkward and over-the-top PC. I just say queer, or sexual minority.

Unless they're a friend of mine in which case we call each other faggots.

I'm genuinely just fascinated with this to be honest. I've never heard LGBT called over the top, how on earth does adding a Q to it make it worse

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

People stopped using GSM and GSRM when pedophiles started including themselves under it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pollyanna posted:

People stopped using GSM and GSRM when pedophiles started including themselves under it.

yea that's always a fun convo when it comes up. Thankfully it's like 99% on the internet rather than the real world, but boy when it pops up there it's bad.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

That is incredibly upsetting but I'm still gonna use it.

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Oh dang, hadn't heard that, thanks!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Qwazes posted:

A trans-person I knew a few years ago used GSRM for gender, sexual, romantic minorities which I personally find less awkward than LGBTQ but I'm a straight guy so whatever

Romantic minority lmao

So that's.... what? pedophiles and those people that think sexual and romantic attraction being intertwined is a unique snowflake thing?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pollyanna posted:

gay stream media?

Clunk Tap It
May 1, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm genuinely just fascinated with this to be honest. I've never heard LGBT called over the top, how on earth does adding a Q to it make it worse

Honest question : why have the Q? What does it cover that the others don't?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Clunk Tap It posted:

Honest question : why have the Q? What does it cover that the others don't?

it kinda has a double meaning honestly. It can either be Queer or Questioning depending who you ask. The Questioning bit is actually a pretty old one, it was kinda cover for closted people and all to feel more welcome rather than 'well poo poo I'm not sure if wanting to suck dick makes me gay or what' keeping them from coming. Queer is, obviously, a more umbrella thing that's basically 'and the rest'.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
why have G and L be their own letters

why have an ever-expanding cluster of letters to cover each case instead of just an inclusive name in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why have G and L be their own letters

why have an ever-expanding cluster of letters to cover each case instead of just an inclusive name in the first place

the issues and communities are different and while there's value in coming together there is also value in smaller more focussed communities.

there's a lot more to these identities than 'not straight' or 'not cis' and while given how power is arrayed in society it makes sense to organize as a not straight/cis coalition, on an individual level, for like offering community support for their members (which is the main reason for these communities), a group of lesbian women is going to be better at supporting each other through the issues that affect same-gender-attracted women than a group of all same-gender-attracted people would be.

that said there has been movement to use "Queer" as an inclusive label (rather than the acronym train) but it's got its own baggage from a couple different directions.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

it kinda has a double meaning honestly. It can either be Queer or Questioning depending who you ask. The Questioning bit is actually a pretty old one, it was kinda cover for closted people and all to feel more welcome rather than 'well poo poo I'm not sure if wanting to suck dick makes me gay or what' keeping them from coming. Queer is, obviously, a more umbrella thing that's basically 'and the rest'.

some places/groups will do this with allies- allies get included as a way of letting closeted people participate in stuff without pulling them out of the closet. this isn't universal and definitely don't assume people identifying as allies are all just in the closet, but I was scratching my head about some exploded acronyms I saw until someone explained this to me.

• Locked thread