Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

mugrim posted:

in theory you can still go for it if you prove intent.

This is the key point, using a private mail server isn't a crime but intentionally avoiding FoI requests or disclosing classified material is. Without some email or conversation record with Hillary or her staff saying they should discuss X on the private server to avoid getting questioned about it it's very, very unlikely there would be anything to prosecute. The fact that it was pretty much in line with how previous administrations handled this kind of stuff also makes it pretty questionable as circumstantial evidence (i.e. she wasn't doing anything new or different so either you are arguing that she was doing the same thing for different reasons or Powell, Rice and other previous SoS's were all intentionally avoiding FoI requests and you need to start getting more FBI investigations going).

Obama isn't going to pardon Hillary because she didn't break any laws. Granting a blanket pardon would require an admission of guilt on her part, he doesn't think she committed any crimes. Really the only way I could see Hillary getting a pardon would be Trump trying to have his cake and eat it with regards to 'Crooked Hillary'. I could see him making his first act granting her a pardon to show his magnanimity and avoiding having to hold press conferences about the fact that the FBI has found nothing and lol, turns out he was full of poo poo. The only reason I don't think it'll happen is because anyone can see Hillary would fight the pardon and make it more of an issue. Now that she's not running for office I think you're going to see the whole issue just never be mentioned again.

The US press should be hammering it though, asking Trump for comments or developments on this and Obama's birth certificate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread