Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vox Nihili posted:

-More progressive than status quo (opposes death penalty, etc.)
-Young compared to recent candidates (will be 56 in 2020)
-Up-and-coming
-Untainted by scandal
-6 years as major state AG, 4 years as Senator by that point
-decent amount of charisma
-looks Presidential
-somehow tricked her blue dog opponent into "dabbing" at their debate:

Also an utter train wreck of a person who could barely run a campaign in California. She went through 4 campaign managers and 5 finance directors in a little over a year.

Like, if you thought the Clinton campaign had issues a Harris campaign should terrify you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

What about democratic powerhouse Jim Webb? I hear he once killed a man. Thats exactly the kind of moxy the democratic party needs!

tadashi posted:

LeBron

I can't tell if I'm kidding.

But yeah, gently caress it, this works too. Just grab some famous person off the street and tell them the fate of the nation is in their hands now, because the DNC clearly has no loving clue what do to anymore

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zore posted:

Also an utter train wreck of a person who could barely run a campaign in California. She went through 4 campaign managers and 5 finance directors in a little over a year.

Like, if you thought the Clinton campaign had issues a Harris campaign should terrify you.

I'm only aware of one campaign manager switch.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
How about pulling someone not from Washington? Eric Schmidt?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Al Gore has to be a sleeper considering the planet is going to be really loving insufferable in 4 years.

Also if the DNC hasn't already begged Bernie to be the candidate they're hopeless and we'll have 8 Trump and 8 Pence years.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/20/occupy-founder-obama-eric-schmidt-ceo-america

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Lastgirl posted:

No, no you're not. [takes you behind the wood shed with a heavy sigh] :smith:

Neoliberalism is dead.

The Trumpster racks up another kill! :smugdon:

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

No should ever pay attention to Justine Tunney

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
Why the gently caress wasn't Duckworth the nominee this election cycle? I could see her easily shaming the gently caress out trump for mocking the disabled and dodging the draft. I think she could have won over many of the non-sexist independents. Plus there is already precedent for having a president (FDR) with physical disabilities.

Plus the name Duckworth sounds super rednecky and might have tricked a few of the naive backwoods voters?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Ace of Baes posted:

My predictions for possible nominees (in no order);

Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren
Corey Booker
Tulsi Gabbard
Martin O'Malley

Mmmmm yes please let it be Bernie Sanders, so trump can beat him too :smugdon:

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Ace of Baes posted:

My predictions for possible nominees (in no order);

Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren
Corey Booker
Tulsi Gabbard
Martin O'Malley

Garbage old pansy man who would get bullied in the debates and look like a wimp
Crazy idiot
Who???
Seh's okay
Lol

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Its going to be Hillary Clinton Mk2 and Michelle Obama

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

It'll probably be some numbnuts like Kaine, Cuomo, Booker or O'Malley. Third way neoliberalism didn't work this year,, but why not beat a dead horse one more time?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jim Webb

If only Vermin Supreme hadn't eaten into his primary votes.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It'll probably be some numbnuts like Kaine, Cuomo, Booker or O'Malley. Third way neoliberalism didn't work this year,, but why not beat a dead horse one more time?

they are going to try. id be surprised if it worked.

"the establishment failed us against donald loving trump, vote for me"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zore posted:

but she's a minority woman. this is all that matters. what are you, racist and misogynist?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MustelaFuro posted:

Why the gently caress wasn't Duckworth the nominee this election cycle? I could see her easily shaming the gently caress out trump for mocking the disabled and dodging the draft. I think she could have won over many of the non-sexist independents. Plus there is already precedent for having a president (FDR) with physical disabilities.

Plus the name Duckworth sounds super rednecky and might have tricked a few of the naive backwoods voters?

You know that 90% of the photos FDR was in had him propped up by his friends, literally, or had his wheelchair hidden somehow, right.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I sincerely think that if Gabbard got to the general she would win because she is good looking. hosed up, but I think it would matter.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

You know that 90% of the photos FDR was in had him propped up by his friends, literally, or had his wheelchair hidden somehow, right.

Yes I am aware of that, but my point was that it should make her amputation a non-issue. I mean, of course it would still be brought up as an issue, but what even is reality anymore anyway.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

TheBuilder posted:

How about pulling someone not from Washington? Eric Schmidt?

Assuming he'd actually do it, America may be tired of billionaire businessmen by 2020.

Beyond that, I'd rather have someone who's actually interested in governance enough to do something related to it before running for president.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
Sherrod Brown finishes his 2nd term in 2018, has populist cred, super popular in ohio, will be a bit old at 68 in 2020, but still in the game. He might have just won a OH Gov race in 2018 too

Marc Cuban, on the topic of moderate billionaires

Cory Booker seems most likely to me though

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MustelaFuro posted:

After the birthers around Romney, a person born in Thailand of partial Asian decent probably didn't want to go in whole hog all at once.
My (and Mitt's dads and Ted Cruz's) reading of the constitution is that she still qualifies because her father was a citizen, which makes her US by birth, it probably wouldn't be a fun fight.

Not that the rest of the nation would care (it might even be a pro) but Harris has a pretty bad history of supporting prosecutorial misconduct.

nm has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Nov 10, 2016

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I sincerely think that if Gabbard got to the general she would win because she is good looking. hosed up, but I think it would matter.

Yeah if her approval nationally matched Bernie Sanders shed be a female JFK.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
What if Bill Gates begrudgingly ran to save America and him and Warren Buffet just dumped billions of dollars into a campaign.

lala da vinci
Oct 9, 2012
If its Bill Gates or Marc Cuban or whoever then the party deserves to die. I'm already half expecting the current leadership make some kind of overture to John Kasich.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I unironically think Al Franken might be a good choice, given that he's genuinely engaging and funny, has pretty good stances on most things and can be improved if he picks up more of Bernie's platform, knows the issues the rust belt faces and won't ignore them, and can basically just be the anti-Trump. He's spent his whole time in DC thus far doing the opposite of what most politicians do: keeping his head down and genuinely trying to work.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rand alPaul posted:

Al Gore has to be a sleeper considering the planet is going to be really loving insufferable in 4 years.

Also if the DNC hasn't already begged Bernie to be the candidate they're hopeless and we'll have 8 Trump and 8 Pence years.

There is no way that Al Gore should be remotely considered given this country's political climate. He already lost one campaign and his most recent experience was as part of the Clinton administration.

Bernie Sanders is going to be 79 years old in 2020. Even if he's in good health I'd be loving terrified of him dropping dead a month before the election or something like that.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Next president says they're gonna legalise weed nationally, and the Dems just don't back down on it.

Everywhere it was up for a vote, Legal Weed passed, and there's no chance Pence and Guiliani don't try to go nazi on states rights to decriminalise.

C'mon, you know this would work.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
chelsea clinton

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Warren is a boring old bag of garbage that no one will listen to, too much wonk and explanation.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Booker's gonna gallantly swoop down and keep the dream of the 90s (neoliberalism) alive. It has to be this because there's no way the party learns anything and actually runs someone people give a poo poo about

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I honestly think Bernie will run if his health maintains over the next four years. Yes, he will be old as gently caress and that will be the primary detriment to his campaign. If he did win, he'd likely only serve one term.

My guess at this absurdly way too early point is it comes down to Booker vs Bernie and, knowing Democrats are terrible, they nominate Booker, securing us four more years of the Trumpian national nightmare

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I honestly think Bernie will run if his health maintains over the next four years. Yes, he will be old as gently caress and that will be the primary detriment to his campaign. If he did win, he'd likely only serve one term.

4 years of bernie and then him handing it off to a berniecrat, likely one who isn't even in congress yet, in 2024 is my dream scenario

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Fulchrum posted:

Next president says they're gonna legalise weed nationally, and the Dems just don't back down on it.

Everywhere it was up for a vote, Legal Weed passed, and there's no chance Pence and Guiliani don't try to go nazi on states rights to decriminalise.

C'mon, you know this would work.

if hillary just said legal weed she would have won

period.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

Junior Senator-elect Kamala Harris.

please do this because she's going to talk about gun control her entire first term, which will resonate well with poor whites in ohio.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

No, no you're not. [takes you behind the wood shed with a heavy sigh] :smith:

Neoliberalism is dead.

Tell me about the market-based solutions, George.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Just please please please for mercy's sake let it not be an out-of-touch, rich weirdo. Conservatives just elected the ultimate example of that, but that's their mistake to make and liberals should be able to do better. Then again, we clearly don't have a deep bench here, sooooo :smithicide:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

Just please please please for mercy's sake let it not be an out-of-touch, rich weirdo. Conservatives just elected the ultimate example of that, but that's their mistake to make and liberals should be able to do better. Then again, we clearly don't have a deep bench here, sooooo :smithicide:

too bad. marc cuban is gonna run in 2020

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

I'm genuinely curious, what happened with Booker? Years back when he was still mayor and I first heard of him he seemed to have this reputation as a boots-on-the-ground people's mayor. I saw an impassioned video of him explaining how gay rights can't be a ballot measure because the rights of a minority should never be subject to the current political whim of the majority. At the time he looked to have so much potential. What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MustelaFuro posted:

I'm genuinely curious, what happened with Booker? Years back when he was still mayor and I first heard of him he seemed to have this reputation as a boots-on-the-ground people's mayor. I saw an impassioned video of him explaining how gay rights can't be a ballot measure because the rights of a minority should never be subject to the current political whim of the majority. At the time he looked to have so much potential. What happened?

He has been a slightly blue dog leaning senator. He's not a Clinton. Also, he might be gay.

In all seriousness, he was one of the highlights of the Democratic Convention in a lot of people's eyes. His job was to get people fired up and I think he did well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGUtSY3FqPo

• Locked thread