Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Duckworth, I believe, wasn't born in the United States...not sure if she's eligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dad natural born, she's good
they'd make a shitload of noise though

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

dad natural born, she's good
they'd make a shitload of noise though

It'd be Obama all over again. That said, what better way to refresh in everyone's mind that Donald Trump is, indeed, a racist bigot.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Alter Ego posted:

It'd be Obama all over again. That said, what better way to refresh in everyone's mind that Donald Trump is, indeed, a racist bigot.

if she does indeed run, she needs to respond to whatever awful things trump would undoubtedly say the same way as she did when the guy she was running against was a giant racist: do not even acknowledge it. draw no attention to it.

we cannot have another candidate who focuses on how much of a shithead trump is. it did not work.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cubey posted:

if she does indeed run, she needs to respond to whatever awful things trump would undoubtedly say the same way as she did when the guy she was running against was a giant racist: do not even acknowledge it. draw no attention to it.

we cannot have another candidate who focuses on how much of a shithead trump is. it did not work.

Obama was smart to let people work out the racism component to his opposition on their own. He didn't need to talk about it. You can let your surrogates attack it while you focus on policy.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Helps to not have 30 years of baggage and an email "scandal" hanging over your head your opponent can use to beat you with.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've been asking around and the word is that Duckworth is a really unintelligent person so good luck with putting your hopes on her because she checks some diversity boxes

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
What about Kirsten Gillibrand? I heard that she might run if Hillary hadn't in 2016.

I expect O'Malley will try again, and Tim Kaine might too, since he was the more popular half of the ticket and has none of Hillary's baggage. I could see myself voting for him. He oozes earnestness and trustworthiness, and despite the fact that he's not a super-engaging public speaker, against Trump in 2020 that won't be a huge problem. He's like America's goofy dad.

Fritz Coldcockin has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Nov 10, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Michelle Obama or GTFO.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Elephanthead posted:

Michelle Obama or GTFO.

Michelle hates living in DC so good luck with that. After how her, her husband, and her entire family was treated for eight years, I'd want to get out of that town, too. I wouldn't blame her if she spent the next ten years on a beach in Hawaii. Don't get me wrong: I'd like to see her run for something, but I doubt it'll happen in 2020, if ever.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
We need to run a young Muslim woman of Mexican descent to really put a finger in Trump's eye. I'm not sure if such a magical unicorn exists, but that would be hilarious. Not realistic or necessarily effective, but hilarious.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still definitely leaning Gabbardward, I hope she runs at least once before she gets too old to be female JFK

(Bernie Sanders will be too old to run at all in 2020, seriously guys, 4 years and then a handoff was my best-case scenario for THIS year)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Jimmy Carter. #ItsHisTurn(again)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
One of the cool things about Gabbard is that she's actually won several competitive races, often against presumptively favored opponents. In short, she can actually campaign and win supporters.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Whole Internet posted:

Sucks that Zephyr Teachout lost. Deborah Ross lost as well. Everything went to poo poo. The iron fist of fascism has stomped out all hope of a progressive movement.

I have doubts about Elizabeth Warren's ability to debate and speak off the cuff. I do feel like we should try to take another shot at a female president, even though that isn't helping us at all demographically. Who the heck else is there?

How about we pick someone who's policies define them better then superficial qualities like race or sex?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It really all depends to what scale Trump fucks everything up, not who runs against him

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Teikanmi posted:

It really all depends to what scale Trump fucks everything up, not who runs against him

Of course it matters who runs against him.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Teikanmi posted:

Holy gently caress.

TURN YOUR MONITOR OFF AND REFLECT ON WHAT A DUMB POST THIS IS.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm in favor of picking a candidate years in advance, clearing the field for them, and ramming them through the primaries.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Teikanmi posted:

because the Democrats picking the worst candidate they could find worked ok this time right

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
:q:

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

All in on Tammy Duckworth.

Please please please.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Trump loving up is a necessary condition for beating him but it sure as heck isn't a sufficient one.

Luckily it's one we're almost certain to get.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
They're going to try and run a celebrity that they think millenials like or Michelle Obama in 2020 and it'll be a complete disaster.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm in favor of picking a candidate years in advance, clearing the field for them, and ramming them through the primaries.

gently caress yea.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

Michelle hates living in DC so good luck with that. After how her, her husband, and her entire family was treated for eight years, I'd want to get out of that town, too. I wouldn't blame her if she spent the next ten years on a beach in Hawaii. Don't get me wrong: I'd like to see her run for something, but I doubt it'll happen in 2020, if ever.

I could not reasonably ask Michelle Obama to go through this again. I vote for her while crying for her at the same time.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Railing Kill posted:

We need to run a young Muslim woman of Mexican descent to really put a finger in Trump's eye. I'm not sure if such a magical unicorn exists, but that would be hilarious. Not realistic or necessarily effective, but hilarious.

Keith Ellison is close enough, and he seems interested in moving on to bigger and better things than being in the House.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

https://twitter.com/SalamMorcos/status/796772593051308032

:bernget:

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Zythrst posted:

I know you all are going to say not enough experience, but the person I respect the most after all this is Nina Turner and I think she should be President.

eta- Tulsi would be okay consolation

Some combination of a Turner / Gabbard ticket sounds pretty ideal to me right now. I don't know what Party it would be under though because I can't imagine the DNC doing any legitimate soul searching over this loss.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i didn't want to say anything but let's just say i'm running a few...unorthodox...experiments on the corpse of eugene v. debs and we might all be pleased with the results

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Homework Explainer's Monster

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

in 2000, Teikanmi would have posted:

It really all depends to what scale Bush fucks everything up, not who runs against him

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Hello again, friends. Remember this classic? https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...bernie-sanders/

Can someone write like a two sentence summary of the peeps in the OP? I want to learn more about our potentials for 2020.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

They're going to try and run a celebrity that they think millenials like or Michelle Obama in 2020 and it'll be a complete disaster.

Real talk: Michelle doesn't want to run and won't run.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also the last thing the DNC needs to do is try to use coattails to shove someone in.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Powercrazy posted:

Also the last thing the DNC needs to do is try to use coattails to shove someone in.

what about Chelsea ??? people like her right

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ruzihm posted:

Can someone write like a two sentence summary of the peeps in the OP? I want to learn more about our potentials for 2020.

Bernie Sanders -- the man, the legend
Elizabeth Warren -- progressive champion senator from Massachusetts, probably won't run because she's the next Harry Reid
Cory Booker -- slick young neoliberal senator from New Jersey, mixed-race black/white, popular name among Clintonites
Tulsi Gabbard -- congresswoman from Hawaii, half Samoan, Sanderista, quit job as DNC vice chair to back Sanders. Veteran. Practicing Hindu; does not love Muslims
Martin O'Malley -- that creepy guy from the 2016 primaries who seemed like a serial killer during the debates and could have been best described as "also present", was governor of Maryland to mixed reviews
Tammy Duckworth -- brand-new senator from Illinois; just got a promotion from Congresswoman. Half Thai. Veteran; lost 1.5 legs when her black hawk was hit with an RPG. Less clearly Sanders-ist than Warren or Gabbard, but can spend the next four years building up her progressive cred and should do so if she wants to stay on this list.

mastershakeman posted:

what about Chelsea ??? people like her right

just threw up in my mouth a little bit

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
hillary clinton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

My Linux Rig posted:

The Trumpster racks up another kill! :smugdon:

Indeed :o:

It'll take them a while to understand that neoliberalism is dead.

• Locked thread