Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ace of Baes posted:

I think if Tulsi runs (assuming that means Bernie doesn't) shell end up becoming the first woman president. She already has the Bernie base behind her and being a vet will def help defer some of the misogyny a typical female candidate might face, same with Tammy Duckworth.

If the DNC pushes Corey Booker and gets him were hosed.

tulsi is a cultist weirdo who hates islam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
tulsi's dad was a famously anti-lgbt legislator in hawaii, and tulsi herself ran for office (for school board) on the platform of stopping the school from creating anti-lgbt bullying policies. then she went to iraq and when she came back, surprise, now she's a progressive hero!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

NumberLast posted:

CC is a weirdo that throws shade on all leftists while talking up progressive websites that endorse like 5 people a cycle.

tulsi isn't a leftist. she's a hilariously transparent fraud that goes whichever way she thinks the wind is blowing

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

NumberLast posted:

You go by Tulsi now?

sick burn

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
in a sense that she is a better vote for progressives on many issues, sure. but she really should not run for president or ever take any sort of leadership position where all her negatives will be amplified.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
if i was gonna back a bernie rep. for president i'd rather have keith ellison than tulsi gabbard, i'll put it that way.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
sorry but the dnc fraud machine is already going full throttle for montana gov. steve bullock

your next president:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
our first woman president

gov. gina raimondo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7-x6l2KzkE

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
dark horse candidate chuck schumer, your next president

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxbCbWqVM9k

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

logikv9 posted:

chuck "stealing ad money for myself" schumer

yeah look i'll help you all running for senate in other states, but first i gotta deal with the ol' re-elect here. chuck takes nothing for granted, gotta fight for every vote.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Senor Dog posted:

She phrased that extremely poorly and probably means it how she said it, but I think there's some merit to the idea that the party has gotten bogged down in some issues and that it's caused a loss of focus on others.

oh come on

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the chair of dnc doesn't really mean anything though tbh, they have basically zero power

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://mobile.twitter.com/SaraMurray/status/800701318188777472?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Looking forward to Tulsi's speech at UN proving their active development of WMDs necessitates an invasion.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Cubey posted:

it's mostly a case of who the gently caress else are they gonna run

probably some dead rabbits we can run who are better candidates than tulsi gabbard. at least they don't hate muslims

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Fulchrum posted:

You know what else supported Bernie Sanders? West Virginia.

manchin 2020

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i'm still all in for wesley clark

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

TyrantWD posted:

The D-list Democrats will be the only ones showing an interest in 2020, so I wouldn't rule out a Mark Cuban, or even Bloomberg nomination. They have name recognition and can self-fund, which will already carry them 99% of the way to the nomination. They will lose hopelessly in a general election, but the nomination is wide open for a gimmick candidate.

i don't think the situation is quite that dire. the democratic party largely lacks superstars with a lot of prominence right now, but 3 years is a long time in politics. a lot of stars emerged in the struggle against george w. bush, and a lot of stars will emerge in the struggle against donald trump.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

in the worst case we can run a left-wing entertainer. maybe will ferrell/lena dunham 2020?

it's finally time for michael moore

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ace of Baes posted:

Can't wait for Democrats to kick up so much dirt at Tulsi that she's declines the position and we get Secretary of State Joe Arpaio instead.

good

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ace of Baes posted:

Trump is trying to bring Bernie supporters on board obviously, but I think Gabbard could use this to her advantage, take a position and try to accomplish something before Trump does something insane, then make a big spectacle of stepping down and denouncing him right after he announces Muslim internment camps or something.

if she takes the position she will never again be an elected democrat. there's no long term advantage to her. it's not like she can credibly say "oh wow i had no idea that trump was fascist, really too me by surprise guys."

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Powercrazy posted:

Perhaps she could seize an opportunity to guide the executive branch and do some good instead of worshiping at the altar of ideological purity?

she basically agrees with trump on foreign policy re: the middle east so i don't think there's much value added there

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Powercrazy posted:

So she is a more electable HRC? Where was your outrage Nov 7th?

not sure why you think she's more electable than hrc, and she is also to the right of hillary on issues including middle east foreign policy.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i guess i'm old enough to remember when liberals were really mad at people who thought we should prop up dictatorships with huge human rights issues to suppress movements that were ideologically hostile to the united states, though.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
if it's gonna be some progressive hero, it should be liz warren.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
^^warren was ideologically pure enough until she failed to endorse bernie sanders

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

overrated at best

she's like bernie except smarter and more effective, and unlike bernie is not a dickhead to everyone she meets for no reason

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Sylink posted:

I think this election showed she is timid and won't take risks. She can help but needs to back the gently caress off.

or maybe she just didn't want to endorse bernie sanders, weirdly.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

StateOwned posted:

elizabeth warren would be a loving terrible pick. no more boring loving people. gore, kerry, clinton. gently caress.

are you seriously comparing warren to gore, kerry, and clinton? did i get sucked into an alternate universe where warren is considering serving on the board of citibank or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htX2usfqMEs

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
brian schweitzer is, at least, the most entertaining democrat. i miss him, even if he should never actually be president.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Sylink posted:

none of this bothers me but basically if before the election you want to tout that Trump is really really bad then after say you are willing to work with him, well you are full of poo poo.

my beef is they are cowards and won't stick to their guns when push comes to shove.

sanders and warren said basically the same thing - that they'd work with trump on things like an infrastructure bill, but they're not gonna back building a wall or any of that other poo poo.

i really am not worried that warren will not stick to her guns. i mean, she delayed obama appointments that she thought were too close to the banks.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

blaming political correctness or identity politics is wrong. the issue is not that the democrats focused on them, its that they didnt focus on economics at all.

it's not so much that they didn't focus on economics - they did. it's that they didn't focus on economics framed toward specific segments of the population that tilted the electoral college.

i think there's also some sort of myth here that democrats never focus on economics arguments and that's why they lose. in 2014, the entire dem message was economics! they basically ran on raising the minimum wage and college affordability but no one gave a poo poo.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

zegermans posted:

At least n the current cycle, they had a plan - a very good, progressive plan - but refused to even try to advertise it. All of Clinton's ads were pointing out how lovely Trump is. Everyone knows Trump is a lovely person. Few people knew how that would negatively affect them personally, and they didn't even try to explain that.

they went back and forth on this, but yes i think that's true. their testing basically said "telling voters trump would make a terrible president works better than talking about policy," but oftentimes items that test well in focus groups and message tests don't actually motivate voters to the polls. it's a really big issue overall with the democratic messaging machine.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GlyphGryph posted:

I look forward to Fulchrum defending the third way Establishment Democrats on all the incredible progress they made ending the drug war a decade from now, lol.

lol if you think the drug war will ever end

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nietzschean posted:

So what exactly is preventing the Democrats from having an event like the '94 Gingrich Revolution so that they can become unified and useful as a political party?

single-member districts, party polarization, and the collapse of the blue dogs

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Fiction posted:

And guess what, his lifelong dream of legislating universal health care was stopped by...Jimmy Carter! Funny how that happens.

it's the other way around. carter and kennedy had two competing plans. kennedy's couldn't pass congress, carter's could. but kennedy rallied opposition to the carter plan, killing them both.

kennedy's political motivation was that he was running for president, of course.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nietzschean posted:

What do we need to do to fix this?

wait 100 years or so probably

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nietzschean posted:

It's rhetoric like this that fuels accelerationism.

well it's just reality. the founders of this country made is exceedingly difficult to amend the constitution, and one of the drawbacks is the minority party will always block amendments that will hurt them. short of a sweep where democrats control 38 state legislatures, the us senate and the house, it's unlikely that single-member districts will disappear. polarization will rise and fall, but that won't actually help the left as it will lead to a 2008 situation where left-wingers decided their best strategy was to try and purify the party with primaries which largely just replaced conservative democrats with republicans.

it's clear the us would benefit from major policy changes, but the reality is that no matter how hard we wish otherwise the republicans will continue to take power in this country despite receiving fewer votes than the democrats due to the electorally superior allocation of their voters. and even if democrats managed to get 60 votes again and forced through something like single payer, a republican scotus would kill it because donald trump won the presidency and replaced all the progressives with insane people who hate social democracy. the system is enormously difficult to change and the gains we do make are extremely fragile. it took a great depression to end the last conservative-era, and it will probably take another to end this one.

it will optimistically take decades to get to where the left wants us to be, and much of it will be painful incrementalism with periodic steps back. there is no quick alternative - only the neverending struggle without ever getting a satisfying, comprehensive victory.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

mugrim posted:

Better than HRC's inevitable "Hindsight is 2020" campaign slogan.

you know, i was at rootscamp this year and a group called "people for bernie sanders" had a table with a bernie poster and "hindsight is 2020." i went to a hfa session and it was kind of funny to hear just how angry it made all of their staffers.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

mugrim posted:

Is that Paul Wellstone's thing? I knew people at the DCCC who went.

yeah it's run by wellstone now, it used to be run by NOI before they died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'm going to buy so many of these if they make them

https://ivotedberniesanders.myshopify.com/products/hindsight-is-2020

have fun

• Locked thread