Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MO'M only succeeded in creeping everybody out, Sanders will be definitively Too Old to run for a first term, and Booker is basically Clinton But Younger. Gimme Warren, Gabbard, or Duckworth. I liked the idea of making a woman the President; I just didn't like that woman. I like all of these ones.

e: Michelle Obama is a very popular figure but has never held elected office. Based on a sample size of one (1) general election, she'd win in a landslide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remember when Tulsi Gabbard gave up her DNC job to endorse Bernie Sanders and everybody was like "whoaaaa bold move" and we felt bad for her when Bernie withdrew

look who has the last laugh now

Everything's comin' up Tulsi

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Peel posted:

what are duckworth and gabbard actually like policy- and rhetoric-wise if we're thinking we want more populist credibility next time around

Gabbard is roughly Bernie-like, as evidenced by the fact that she resigned as DNC vice chair to endorse him (and a Podesta email revealed that he was Very Disappointed In Her for doing this); her main weakness is probably that she really isn't big on Muslims, probably due at least in part to the fact that she is a practicing Hindu.

I know less about Duckworth's positions and so my endorsement of her is less strong and contingent on what her hypothetical campaign's positions would be; she seems to be more mainstream.

Oh, and both are veterans.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cubey posted:

for me duckworth is less about her exact ideas and more about her being new to congress and a vet. if she can be turned into a berniecrat (or better yet already is) she could be the next obama. gabbard is also acceptable.

Hell, put 'em on one ticket, I'll vote for it as hard as I can

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still definitely leaning Gabbardward, I hope she runs at least once before she gets too old to be female JFK

(Bernie Sanders will be too old to run at all in 2020, seriously guys, 4 years and then a handoff was my best-case scenario for THIS year)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ruzihm posted:

Can someone write like a two sentence summary of the peeps in the OP? I want to learn more about our potentials for 2020.

Bernie Sanders -- the man, the legend
Elizabeth Warren -- progressive champion senator from Massachusetts, probably won't run because she's the next Harry Reid
Cory Booker -- slick young neoliberal senator from New Jersey, mixed-race black/white, popular name among Clintonites
Tulsi Gabbard -- congresswoman from Hawaii, half Samoan, Sanderista, quit job as DNC vice chair to back Sanders. Veteran. Practicing Hindu; does not love Muslims
Martin O'Malley -- that creepy guy from the 2016 primaries who seemed like a serial killer during the debates and could have been best described as "also present", was governor of Maryland to mixed reviews
Tammy Duckworth -- brand-new senator from Illinois; just got a promotion from Congresswoman. Half Thai. Veteran; lost 1.5 legs when her black hawk was hit with an RPG. Less clearly Sanders-ist than Warren or Gabbard, but can spend the next four years building up her progressive cred and should do so if she wants to stay on this list.

mastershakeman posted:

what about Chelsea ??? people like her right

just threw up in my mouth a little bit

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I talked a lot of poo poo about Old Bernie but if we get to 2020 and his mind's still there and he can still hang in a national-level campaign and his VP is a non-Clintonite he's got my vote

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FrensaGeran posted:

The sexual tension alone assures us the white vote.

Bernie/Warren is my OTP (optimal ticket population) :syoon:

No but seriously Warren is too valuable of a senator to waste on the vice presidency, gabbard or bust

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

Chuck Schumer endorsed Keith Ellison for DNC chair, the progressive wing is about to take over the DNC

I really hope this but I'm worried we're getting all excited over a brief blip before the clintonites uncoup the coup :ohdear:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

No on Martha, and a solid "maybe" on Oprah

Like, after the Trump thing worked out the way it did I can't really argue convincingly against Oprah, so gently caress it, yeah, go for it

The only thing I can think of is that I don't wanna be the kind of country that elects multiple no-experience TV people in a row but I also didn't want to be the kind of country that did that even once and the boat's kinda sailed on that one so

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Andorra posted:

In real talk, as much as I may like the idea of certain people named in this thread, I think it's a bad idea to put all your eggs into one basket 8 years in advance. Don't know what would give me that idea.

Well, if we play this right, we'll be putting all our eggs into one basket four years in advance :smug:

I mean I still take your point. This has mostly been an exercise intended to keep us from losing our minds with despair in the wake of the election.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gabbard's main flaw is the anti-Islam thing but Pres Trump has made me desperate enough that I'm like "maybe that's actually a strength, it'll win over some mad whiteys and she seems to rein it in when it's not pragmatic"

but I fully admit I'm mostly on team tulsi because I liked her gumption in the primaries

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think going overboard with how much you hate Muslims is basically the only way to be non-Christian in the American government

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

If the Democrats run a non-joke candidate in 2020 then it's going to be somebody you're not expecting and/or somebody who just manages to catch lightning in a bottle. 2016 should be a wake-up call to never ever have the party anoint somebody again.

Yeah p much, I'm very open to the GOP's open-auditions model

As long as we can fit everybody on one stage let's fuckin' do it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The first serious Dem contender in 2020 to say "hang 'em high" is going to win the general election and the party would be fools to take them down for fear of upsetting the elites.

I think people are too quick to suggest the guillotine; we should try bringing back tarring and feathering first

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

Professional handsome man George Clooney is the best choice if the dems want to go the hollywood celebrity route. Big smug outspoken liberal, sure he'll be poison in the heartland but he might turn out Obama coalition numbers in the cities.

Put George Clooney in a movie where he wears flannel shirts and drives around a pickup truck while struggling to find work and take care of his three children as a widower dad while receiving guidance from his wise old pastor. Have him talk about Jesus on The View while promoting it. See if that helps :shrug:

(yeah though there's no way he fixes the demographic problems we just saw)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah. It gives me hope that maybe a candidate not named Hillary Clinton who runs even a semi-competent campaign could beat Trump in 2020.

Seriously, for the entire political season, I kept thinking "We nominated the ONE person in the world who could gently caress this up somehow."

I never liked Clinton either but this is still a dumb idea to me

Like, I'm trying hard to imagine a Martin O'Malley candidacy inspiring the Rust Belt left to go out and vote instead of staying home, and it's not working

also: remember that Lincoln Chafee was a thing. Imagine the Chafee/Trump debates. Trump would have somehow given Chafee a swirlie on stage.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

Martin O'Malley is literally a political villain from the Wire

Was the Aiden Gillen character based on him?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I remember the day Cruz dropped out, I was troubled by the fact that Trump was effectively the Republican nominee but at least Ted loving Cruz had been publicly humiliated, that made it easy to wear a brave face

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

logikv9 posted:

trying to neutralize possible dem candidates for 2020

I wonder if he's still trying to convince himself he's above party politics after appointing GOP hacks to every other position

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Don't let your opponents define your allies.

My previous support for her was mostly due to her potential, I wouldn't have voted for her in 2016 but could see a way forward for her to be a viable candidate in 2020

Conversely, if she takes one of these cabinet jobs and uses it to be completely indistinguishable from a 2004-era neocon for four years that kind of kills that dream, yeah. We'll see what happens, I guess :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

Also, that racism doesn't exist because Billy Bob Ray Sue Cletus III has a heroin problem.

Yeah I also hope they don't nominate the kind of person who'd say poo poo like this, good ironyposting here

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ok but seriously, if we're talking about controversial celebrities with outsized personalities, have we considered bill maher

He's def not a progressive hero or whatever but he has a decent shot of beating Trump at his own game IMO

zegermans posted:

"gently caress the DNC for putting it's thumb om the scales! gently caress Liz Warren for not putting her thumb on the scales!"

I personally respect her decision not to choose a side but in what universe does a politician who is not a DNC staffer endorsing a presidential candidate constitute "putting their thumb on the scales" :psyduck:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

Is that a joke? 50% of liberals hate Bill Maher, and 100% of conservatives despise him. You'd have a better chance with running Seth Myers or Jon Stewart.

50% of conservatives hate Donald Trump, and 100% of liberals despise him. Just tryna think outside the box bro

I had a Jon Stewart For President 2004 t-shirt back in the day though, I'd dig that thing up if it was a thing in 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

Cory Booker can give a good speech and is very personable. That's literally all you need to win elections today.

I have nothing but scorn for him and all third way Dems, but any port in a storm, said the guy who suggested Bill Maher for president ITT and was only mostly joking

• Locked thread