Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
My predictions for possible nominees (in no order);

Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren
Corey Booker
Tulsi Gabbard
Martin O'Malley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I think if Tulsi runs (assuming that means Bernie doesn't) shell end up becoming the first woman president. She already has the Bernie base behind her and being a vet will def help defer some of the misogyny a typical female candidate might face, same with Tammy Duckworth.

If the DNC pushes Corey Booker and gets him were hosed.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I sincerely think that if Gabbard got to the general she would win because she is good looking. hosed up, but I think it would matter.

Yeah if her approval nationally matched Bernie Sanders shed be a female JFK.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
What if Bill Gates begrudgingly ran to save America and him and Warren Buffet just dumped billions of dollars into a campaign.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Bernie Sanders started a petition to make Keith Ellison the new chair of the DNC

https://go.berniesanders.com/page/s...source=fb161110

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Guys I know I made both threads, but the Wikipedia thread is over there ------->

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Chuck Schumer endorsed Keith Ellison for DNC chair, the progressive wing is about to take over the DNC

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Chuck Schumer is also set to be Senate minority leader in January, which would make him the highest "authority" in the Democratic party.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Tbh as long as a candidate isnt majorly flawed and as long as Bernie directly attaches himself to a candidate it won't matter if they have a ton of experience, I mean Donald Trump had literally 0 experience.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Harry Reid endorsed Ellison, looks like there won't be much of a battle to resist the takeover.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Caithness posted:

Since holding prior office is apparently no longer a requirement, does anyone think Oprah or Martha Stewart could be convinced to run?

Let's get Martha Stewart, "Lock her up again!"

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Andorra posted:

In real talk, as much as I may like the idea of certain people named in this thread, I think it's a bad idea to put all your eggs into one basket 8 years in advance. Don't know what would give me that idea.

I think it's less about the eggs and more about what the basket is made of.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Gringostar posted:

Look man, it's either 9 words or 14 words you need to win elections.

Actually it's 4 words.

Make America Great Again

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Concerned Citizen posted:

tulsi's dad was a famously anti-lgbt legislator in hawaii, and tulsi herself ran for office (for school board) on the platform of stopping the school from creating anti-lgbt bullying policies. then she went to iraq and when she came back, surprise, now she's a progressive hero!

That's not that weird, deployment changes a lot of people's political views, especially since she probably worked and lived around lesbians. (There's a lot of lesbians in the army)

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Neil Patrick Harris

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
*getting out of bed after a long night of dreaming about politics*

Listen Tulsi Gabbard seems great and all but

*yawning and heiling the new american flag that replaced all the stars with a giant swastika*

I'm just not sure about her views on Islam, I mean she thinks we shouldn't have gotten involved in

*puts on my federal mandatory white smock and religion badge*

Syria, not too mention she used to be against gay marriage, so there goes the former* LGBT vote

*Shortly after the "Pence Act" was signed in 2019, all LGBT persons were saved from a life of sin via electro-shock conversion therapy

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Fulchrum posted:

The incoming DNC chairperson is a Muslim. The anti-islam stuff alone is a deal breaker on getting ahead. It'd be like if a raging antisemite had been up for the position this cycle.

The people who give a poo poo voted for a man recorded on video bragging about performing sexual assault, theyre not voting democrat, the Democrats need the millions of people who showed up to vote for a Black man named Barrack Hussein Obama.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I wonder if Kanye said that knowing that a bunch of white people would condescend him and it's actually meta statement, it's hard to believe the same dude who wrote New Slaves could support Trump. Then again I might be reading too far into it and Kanye is just a dumbass/acting out for attention.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/307071-after-trump-meeting-gabbard-says-we-cant-let-divisiveness-destroy-our

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) vowed to work with Donald Trump on the issues that matter to the American people, following a meeting between the two Monday at Trump Tower.

She did not, however, comment on whether she would join his administration.

Gabbard and Trump met in New York City to discuss U.S. policy in Syria, she said in a statement, though some have speculated she is under consideration to be the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.
"President-elect Trump asked me to meet with him about our current policies regarding Syria, our fight against terrorist groups like al-Qaeda and [the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria], as well as other foreign policy challenges we face," Gabbard said.

"I felt it important to take the opportunity to meet with the President-elect now before the drumbeats of war that neocons have been beating drag us into an escalation of the war to overthrow the Syrian government—a war which has already cost hundreds of thousands of lives and forced millions of refugees to flee their homes in search of safety for themselves and their families."

Gabbard said that while the "rules of political expediency" would suggest she not take a meeting with the president-elect, she refuses to "play politics" with American and Syrian lives.

“I will continue to seek common ground to deliver results that best serve all Americans, as I have tried to do during my time in Congress," she said.

She added that while she will not hesitate to express any disagreement with Trump, she believes they can come together on some issues.

"We cannot allow continued divisiveness to destroy our country," she said.

Gabbard told Trump she opposes a no-fly or safe zone in Syria, calling it "disastrous" for the Syrian people and the U.S.

Trump and Gabbard have “a lot of common ground” and both understand “the country very well,” Kellyanne Conway told reporters on Monday afternoon.

The top Trump aide pointed out that Gabbard “went against her party quite boldly early on,” by endorsing Sen. Bernie Sanders, leaving her post at the Democratic National Committee to endorse the Vermont independent's presidential bid earlier this year.

“There’s a recognition that there’s a big country out there with lots of voters that feel disaffected from their party, the Democrats,” Conway added.

Gabbard was a staunch Sanders supporter, but said she would support Hillary Clinton after she clinched the Democratic nomination.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Trump is trying to bring Bernie supporters on board obviously, but I think Gabbard could use this to her advantage, take a position and try to accomplish something before Trump does something insane, then make a big spectacle of stepping down and denouncing him right after he announces Muslim internment camps or something.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Can't wait for Democrats to kick up so much dirt at Tulsi that she's declines the position and we get Secretary of State Joe Arpaio instead.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

i guess i'm old enough to remember when liberals were really mad at people who thought we should prop up dictatorships with huge human rights issues to suppress movements that were ideologically hostile to the united states, though.

Remember when we toppled the evil dictator Sadam Hussein? Thank God am I right?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
While the fact that Hillary Clinton convinced the "left" that mirroring the neo-conservative viewpoint on foreign policy was progressive is hilarious, this is the 2020 primary thread, not the 2016 primary thread.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I hope the 2020 Democratic nominee campaigns largely on income inequality (which is sure to be worse in 4 years) and raising the federal minimum wage and on implementing national single payer healthcare.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Can't wait for the Democrats to nominate a black transgender goldman Sachs banker for president in the year 2020.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The year 2019, a single camera shot of Bernie Sanders doing clean and presses and Burpees for 10 minutes in total silence, then he turns to the camera, he picks a thick stack of papers labeled " Donald Trumps Tax Returns" he rips them in two letting out an animalistic grunt, " I, Bernie Sanders, hereby announce my candidacy for the Democratic Presidential Nomination".

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I think that says more about you, than the election, seeing as Jennifer Granholm was born in Canada to Canadian parents.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Bill Maher is an anti-vaxxer, not like Jill Stein, like an actual anti-vaxxer.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
If Clinton or Corey Booker is the 2020 nominee a third party that isnt a joke will rise up.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Establishment dems have ways loved LGBT rights and been amazing champions of it, just like they've always been big proponents of institutional racism in the criminal justice system, and supporting workers rights and taking care of the environment. Psyche.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I heard Hitler was really nice to his dogs.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Karl Barks posted:

what's kwame kilpatrick up to

Killa trick/Enter 2020

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
It sure is a coincidence that dems that take giant donations from banks are flacid and ineffective at coming down hard on them.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

The Nastier Nate posted:

In Clinton's defense, universities are money pit black holes who do dumb poo poo like pay for this. Your average university's spending priorities usually goes:

1. Sports
2. Generating prestige
3. More buildings
4. Securing research grants
5. Literally everything else
6. Educating students

If they hadn't got Clinton for $250,000 they would have paid some other rich rear end in a top hat just as much.

Well in that case, it's really good that Hillary Clinton charged universities $250,000 speaking fees.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

while the amendment was never going to win given that progressives were split on it, 21% doesn't give me confidence the people are actually clamoring for single payer.

I live in CO and volunteered the entire election, there was a huge campaign against colorado care, even liberals and Democrats were against it because of misinformation and pp not liking it because worries about the Hyde amendment, I supported it but literally had to explain what it actually was to almost every person I talked to about it.

Edit: It's also important to realize Colorado is blue because of social issues, the actual breakdown of CO is 1/3rd dem 1/3rd independent 1/3 republican

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
what is a bake sale? are they selling bake I don't understand.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Typo posted:

So for all we fear a centrist getting nomed in 2020, how is a centrist suppose to win the delegates now that superdelegates got cut down to 1/3 of what it was in 2016?

Sanders won decisively with white voters in most states with a progressive message and Hillary got saved by the Clinton's reputation with African Americans. Millennials went for Sanders and in 2020 they'll be more reliable as voters because they are 4 years older. If the next Sanders guy gets 40% of the AA vote it's prob enough for them to win the nom: and which centrist/establishment figure got the AA vote locked down like the Clintons did? Cory Booker?

Theyre going to try and run a centerist with a better record/less of a record than Clinton, hype their experience, they'll most likely be either a PoC or LGBT, maybe retry the Obama tactic of running on a change message but then morphing back into a reptillian neo-liberal capitalist after securing power.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

zegermans posted:

hrm interesting. Do you think they went after Ghaddafi because he was trying to form a non-Rothschild controlled gold-backed currency to trade oil?

Why do you think they went after Ghaddafi?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Im glad that the US defeated the evil bad man Ghaddafi in order to save all those people and for no other reason, and that it all worked out just fine in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
If you don't know the history of the US and Gaddafi you should watch Adam Curtis's Hypernormalization, it's on youtube.

• Locked thread