Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Whole Internet posted:

Sucks that Zephyr Teachout lost. Deborah Ross lost as well. Everything went to poo poo. The iron fist of fascism has stomped out all hope of a progressive movement.

I have doubts about Elizabeth Warren's ability to debate and speak off the cuff. I do feel like we should try to take another shot at a female president, even though that isn't helping us at all demographically. Who the heck else is there?

How about we pick someone who's policies define them better then superficial qualities like race or sex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Teikanmi posted:

It really all depends to what scale Trump fucks everything up, not who runs against him

Holy gently caress.

TURN YOUR MONITOR OFF AND REFLECT ON WHAT A DUMB POST THIS IS.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm in favor of picking a candidate years in advance, clearing the field for them, and ramming them through the primaries.

gently caress yea.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also the last thing the DNC needs to do is try to use coattails to shove someone in.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Freemason Rush Week posted:

America Is Already Great.

I heard that is because America is Good. confirm/deny?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Freemason Rush Week posted:

I know everyone has fond memories of Warren from all the finger-wagging she's done at bankers, but did you ever notice she doesn't actually... do anything? She won't stick her neck out unless she knows it'll go over well, and she has some pretty bad positions (e.g. Israel/Palestine) that will not fly with millennials.

This is not the time for cautious politicians.

Bernie has a similar position, unfortunately. But I'm not one for ideological purity, so he is fine with me.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ace of Baes posted:

Tbh as long as a candidate isnt majorly flawed and as long as Bernie directly attaches himself to a candidate it won't matter if they have a ton of experience, I mean Donald Trump had literally 0 experience.

Agreed. Experience is an advantage, but it can't make up for a deeply flawed candidate.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

He was under the thumb of the 'Inevitable" Hillary DNC at the time. Lets see what he says now.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mental-Rectangle posted:

These are the same thing though? Obama won all those rustbelt states. Just Jill Stein's votes alone were enough to spoil all of them except Ohio. Field a candidate that doesn't lose so many votes to 3rd parties, and even if the people that voted for Trump stick with him in four years, you'll still win all those states back, at the very least. Field a candidate that motivates better youth turnout and once again states like NC and AZ are on the map.

Field a candidate that motivates ANY demographic and the Dems are back in 2020.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

NumberLast posted:

If Trump is out by 2020, what's the possibility Pence faces a primary challenge? What's the likelihood he wins?

Pence was the GoPs guy, why would they primary him?

Also it shouldn't matter for dems who they are running against. Have a not poo poo platform without wonky exceptions for social welfare, and be charismatic.

Don't pit race against class, as if something like free college or universal healthcare relies on racism or something ridiculous like that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Concerned Citizen posted:

tulsi is a cultist weirdo who hates islam

Good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Phi230 posted:

and they will keep doing it

So then who cares? You don't let your opponent define you.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Alter Ego posted:

I would laugh, but I remember what Saxby Chambliss did to Max Cleland in the GA Senate race--a man who lost both his legs and an arm diving on a grenade to save his squadmates. I would not put it past Trump to turn Tammy Duckworth into a military-hating coward.

And is Ellison official? I thought that was just a Bernie "sign this petition" thing.

I imagine nothing is official until the election, or at least until Donna Brazil steps down and is replaced by Ellison in the interim.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Schnorkles posted:

Jim Webb killed a man.

At least he admitted it unlike a certain other Democratic Candidate.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jim Webb: Memories of Saigon

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

FCKGW posted:

remember when we all thought the donald would tear the gop apart? but it turns out he tore the dems apart?

Don't count him out of tearing the GOP apart yet, he hasn't even taken office yet :unsmigghh:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fulchrum posted:

You can't force unity but you can sure as gently caress destroy it, mainly by inserting and legitimizing bullshit conspiracies about a coronation process and how the system was rigged and unfair.

And a reminder that there was a referenda, dragged out way, way past the point where it was obvious one side won and one side lost. Mind pointing out all the great and wonderful things dragging the primary to the end did? Cause from where I'm sitting, the end result was that the primary bitterness just festered and became impossible to kill, killing support for the winner.

It created the most progressive platform ever for the democrats!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Alter Ego posted:

Jesus Christ, if this doesn't disqualify her in the minds of any sane liberal for 2020...
Don't let your opponents define your allies.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Is there any good thing that could come from Gabbard taking that slot?

Depends on her convictions. If they are similar to a previous failed dem candidate then no. But who knows, I wouldn't hold a Trump cabinet position against anyone merely because they were part of the administration.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cubey posted:

it's mostly a case of who the gently caress else are they gonna run

Probably a young progressive politician who got into politics around when Obama become President. No need to 'anoint' someone right now.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fulchrum posted:

You know what else supported Bernie Sanders? West Virginia.

Yep. Because he offered economic policy.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Karl Barks posted:

jimmy carter is still alive

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lord of Pie posted:

NPR was calling Tulsi "the Republicans' favorite Democrat" today due to her gun stances and Muslim hatin'

Nothing matters

She is half right.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Wow! I can't believe she didn't endorse the queen early enough in the primary. Going against a no-fly zone? What a war monger!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

if she takes the position she will never again be an elected democrat. there's no long term advantage to her. it's not like she can credibly say "oh wow i had no idea that trump was fascist, really too me by surprise guys."

Perhaps she could seize an opportunity to guide the executive branch and do some good instead of worshiping at the altar of ideological purity?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

she basically agrees with trump on foreign policy re: the middle east so i don't think there's much value added there

So she is a more electable HRC? Where was your outrage Nov 7th?

Karl Sharks posted:

like she wouldn't get fired for doing non-trump things

This is potentially true, but why would that be considered a black mark?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i guess i'm old enough to remember when liberals were really mad at people who thought we should prop up dictatorships with huge human rights issues to suppress movements that were ideologically hostile to the united states, though.

Same. But I hated HRC because I learned enough from the 90's to recognize warning signs, so I don't see a significant difference.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

Next Democratic president is going to be Trump. He's going to switch parties and win the Democratic Primary to get their team-loyalists while pulling all his committed Republican supporters across the divide, and he's gonna get 4 more years based on an overwhelming 70% of the popular vote.

nice.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Railing Kill posted:

I guess my point is, this goofiness is a more recent phenomenon with just Obama and Trump, and I think it may hold up at least in 2020 because the Democratic bench is so thin. It may even be a good thing if it means we can nominate someone who isn't an entitled rich weirdo holding onto ideas that failed decades ago. But the Dems will probably break my heart by nominating Mark Cuban or Michael Bloomberg. :sigh:

Ugh, the only people possibly worse the HRC.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

Also, that racism doesn't exist because Billy Bob Ray Sue Cletus III has a heroin problem.

That sounds pretty dumb but hopefully they don't nominate people who believe stuff like that!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Thump! posted:

Why did everyone forget about Tim Kaine?

He's gonna get curbstomped by Trump in 2020 :smith:

He isn't going to be the nominee.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i think there's also some sort of myth here that democrats never focus on economics arguments and that's why they lose. in 2014, the entire dem message was economics! they basically ran on raising the minimum wage and college affordability but no one gave a poo poo.

And meanwhile we finally have a nationally known senator asking why we aren't doing more and the Democratic Party finds that an uncomfortable question.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I think people expect way too much out of the president and that we should absolutely not take the approach that only "the anointed" should be considered qualified.

Imo if you can get elected president, you deserve your shot at it.

We should also make sure the primary system is public and open and not a foregone conclusion. Because that is where training for president should begin.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Nov 29, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i mean, you're just really totally overestimating the amount of corruption at the federal level vs. local level. nearly all public corruption arrests happen at the local level. there's certainly a lot of money floating around congress to influence, although there's also the very obvious reality that most people in congress are not in competitive districts and don't need campaign funds to get reelected. there are a few blatant examples of corruption (like the jack abramoff stuff) but it's fairly rare and members of congress tend to be under fairly heavy scrutiny.

maybe your mayor does represent your particular interests more than your congressman (if only because the mayor deals with more issues that actually personally affect your life) but it's hardly uncommon to see local politics totally dominated by moneyed developers and special interests to a degree that would make most federal politicians blush. and even if the local politicians are not intentionally corrupt, they are often mislead by more sophisticated actors - for example, does that sewer plant need a $2 million bond or can it be constructed at a fraction of the price? local gov does not often have resources to suss out when they're being lied to.

it might shock you to learn that members of congress don't vote for private prisons, deregulating banks, subsidizing fossil fuels, and preventing UHC because they're corrupt. they do it because they actually believe in those things. money in politics is an issue, but right-wing ideology is actually the thing destroying america.

Why was Hillary so against single payer and a 15 dollar minimum wage? Those are undeniably good things, yet she only reluctantly wanted to support them. Why does Obama refuse to federally decriminalize weed or even speak about an alternative? Why does Obama lionize the law enforcement in North Dakota instead of calling them out for being the pieces if poo poo they are?

Is it corruption, spinelessness, or actual personal belief?

Basically why does every single president in the modern era refuse to stand up for literally anything even when they unilaterally have the power to stop it?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I don't care how much foreign wrong think anyone has as long as they support uhc and aggressive wealth redistribution domestically.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Echo Chamber posted:

I say this as someone who supported Bernie: it's okay to hate Tulsi.

It's also ok to think Tulsi is fine.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I hear all this "damning" stuff about Tulsi, but then I think back to the Democratic Candidate of 2016 and I don't see much of a difference.

Oh Snapple! posted:

It should be extremely easy to look at Tulsi and go "I think we can do better."

:agreed: But the same could be said about almost everyone in the Democratic Party.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

Tulsi was only anti Libya because letting Ghadaffi murder everyone would have led to markedly less Muslims

Nice projection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

logikv9 posted:

tulsi defense force, engage *india-pakistan nuclear war breaks out*

Do we get UHC + GMI? If so I say "Good"

• Locked thread