Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LeBron

I can't tell if I'm kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MustelaFuro posted:

I'm genuinely curious, what happened with Booker? Years back when he was still mayor and I first heard of him he seemed to have this reputation as a boots-on-the-ground people's mayor. I saw an impassioned video of him explaining how gay rights can't be a ballot measure because the rights of a minority should never be subject to the current political whim of the majority. At the time he looked to have so much potential. What happened?

He has been a slightly blue dog leaning senator. He's not a Clinton. Also, he might be gay.

In all seriousness, he was one of the highlights of the Democratic Convention in a lot of people's eyes. His job was to get people fired up and I think he did well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGUtSY3FqPo

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cubey posted:

if she does indeed run, she needs to respond to whatever awful things trump would undoubtedly say the same way as she did when the guy she was running against was a giant racist: do not even acknowledge it. draw no attention to it.

we cannot have another candidate who focuses on how much of a shithead trump is. it did not work.

Obama was smart to let people work out the racism component to his opposition on their own. He didn't need to talk about it. You can let your surrogates attack it while you focus on policy.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

Michelle hates living in DC so good luck with that. After how her, her husband, and her entire family was treated for eight years, I'd want to get out of that town, too. I wouldn't blame her if she spent the next ten years on a beach in Hawaii. Don't get me wrong: I'd like to see her run for something, but I doubt it'll happen in 2020, if ever.

I could not reasonably ask Michelle Obama to go through this again. I vote for her while crying for her at the same time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Space Pussy posted:

Gabby :swoon: would be ideal but I'm sure she'll be swiftboated into oblivion over the Hindu thing and the DNC will nominate another shitlord like MOM.

She's been pretty pro-defense in the House. I don't think she's the progressive firebrand a lot of people wish her to be.

https://ballotpedia.org/Tulsi_Gabbard

tadashi has issued a correction as of 13:45 on Nov 15, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Democrazy posted:

I actually am not that worried about Cory Booker. He's like Chris Christie; he represents a philosophy and an ideology that is probably going to be old news by the time he runs in 2020.

At least I hope we don't run a too-polished technocrat.

I am curious to see if he shifts after this year. After John Kerry lost in 2004, it seemed like he came roaring back as a much more liberal version of the guy we saw in the campaign, possibly the guy he was all along (as Republicans put it, the most liberal politician in the Senate).

Cory didn't lose anything but the establishment he was pretty cozy with certainly did.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

A decent question to ask might be: who are we going to be running against in 2020? There's a lot of reasons Trump might not be in the Oval Office by 2020, most of which are more likely for him than for most candidates in recent memory. They're obviously not all as likely as him sticking around and running in 2020, but they are possible:

(In order of possibility)

He could not run in 2020. He's a political rookie that is probably not going to enjoy the responsibilities and is definitely unprepared, so he might get burned out. We've seen younger, smarter, healthier, and more prepared presidents get worn down by the job, so I can only imagine the hell it's going to put that dumbass through.

Other than the state taking a nose dive while he was in office, isn't this kind of why Ventura didn't run for re-election?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Kal Penn.

Same level of quality of films and with actual experience in government.

Yep. Reagan didn't just come out of nowhere in terms of politics and he wasn't exactly known for critically acclaimed films.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Wrap it up, Kanyeilures.

http://pitchfork.com/news/69904-kanye-i-wouldve-voted-for-trump/?mbid=social_facebook

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sylink posted:

Rich man who doesn't actually care about other people supports other rich man ?!?!?

The key to life is become successful enough to marry into multi-multi-generational wealth, whether or not you've created it through your own career.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ace of Baes posted:

I wonder if Kanye said that knowing that a bunch of white people would condescend him and it's actually meta statement, it's hard to believe the same dude who wrote New Slaves could support Trump. Then again I might be reading too far into it and Kanye is just a dumbass/acting out for attention.

I don't think Kanye thinks much beyond the present moment. Of course, that's the same drat problem with half of rich people. They don't care if they are burning and salting the earth and there will be nothing left for their kids as long as they get paid.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

Martin O'Malley is literally a political villain from the Wire

and he literally inspired almost no one to vote for him. Jim Webb was a better candidate, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ace of Baes posted:

Theyre going to try and run a centerist with a better record/less of a record than Clinton, hype their experience, they'll most likely be either a PoC or LGBT, maybe retry the Obama tactic of running on a change message but then morphing back into a reptillian neo-liberal capitalist after securing power.

So Booker

• Locked thread