Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

is this how foreigners feel when we try to explain the existence of the EC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Like, election by popular vote wasn't really even on the agenda. It's not just the southern states - nobody particularly wanted it. Looks like James Wilson proposed it at one point, and it got shot down.

quote:

On the question for postponing Mr. Dickinson’s motion referring the appointment of the Senate to the State Legislatures, in order to consider Mr. Wilson’s for referring it to the people.

Mass. no. Cont. no. N. Y. no. N. J. no. Pa. ay Del. no. Md. no. Va. no. N. C. no. S. C. no. Geo. no. [Ayes — 1; noes — 10.]
http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/farrand-the-records-of-the-federal-convention-of-1787-vol-1

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

No, the reasoning there (people will just vote for the candidate from their own state) was why they rejected a popular vote as the method. But I don't think (?) that federal abolition was really on the agenda at the time, just the relative balance of states with similar economic interests, and in any case, the composition of congress is way more critical for that (hence the 3/5ths compromise) than the election of the president.

It was absolutely a fear of the South and was absolutely a sticking point in their ratification of the constitution. It doesn't have to be on any proposed federal agenda, it was just known that the population in the North supported abolition and they didn't want to lose slavery down the line.

Abolition was a movement growing ever since like 1730-1740.

jBrereton posted:

No I would wager that as a result of Virginia being a very old, physically safe, and wealthy state by American standards at that time, and the framers of the Constitution knowing each other after it was done if not long before, the executive was controlled for 32 of the next 36 years by Virginians.

Without EC, Virginia is not a big deal population wise. With the EC and the 3/5ths compromise, Virginia had the most EC votes. If you think that wasn't intentional idk what to say.

I mean look we can argue why the EC really started back and forth all day but the fact of the matter is that the EC + the 3/5ths compromise is what convinced the South to ratify and there's no good reason to have an EC in modern day whatsoever.

Strudel Man posted:

Like, election by popular vote wasn't really even on the agenda. It's not just the southern states - nobody particularly wanted it. Looks like James Wilson proposed it at one point, and it got shot down.

http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/farrand-the-records-of-the-federal-convention-of-1787-vol-1

And that was about the make up of the upper house, not the executive office. Popular vote for senators vs appointment of senators by state legislature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Convention_(United_States) posted:

More contentious than the lower house was the question of the upper house. Few agreed with Madison that its members should be elected by the lower house. James Wilson suggested election by popular vote versus election by state legislature, but his proposal was shot down 10-1 by the delegates.[18]

18 - Farrand, Max (1966). The Records of the Federal Convention of 1787, Volume 1. Yale University Press. p. 155. ISBN 978-0-300-00080-1.

Which obv was later changed with the 17th amendment.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Dec 22, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

And that was about the make up of the upper house, not the executive office. Popular vote for senators vs appointment of senators by state legislature.

Which obv was later changed with the 17th amendment.
Hell, you're right. Quite an error on my part. I can't, in that case, find any suggestion that direct popular election of the presidency was even voted on at all, which I suppose only reaffirms that it wasn't on the table.

quote:

I mean look we can argue why the EC really started back and forth all day but the fact of the matter is that the EC + the 3/5ths compromise is what convinced the South to ratify and there's no good reason to have an EC in modern day whatsoever.
The 3/5ths compromise, absolutely. It's the electoral college specifically for which your argument is far weaker.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

Hell, you're right. Quite an error on my part. I can't, in that case, find any suggestion that direct popular election of the presidency was even voted on at all, which I suppose only reaffirms that it wasn't on the table.

Maybe I guess. I'm not super well versed in the particulars.

Strudel Man posted:

The 3/5ths compromise, absolutely. It's the electoral college specifically for which your argument is far weaker.

I'll take it :colbert:

But considering both happened (3/5ths and EC) during the 1787 convention they're probably somewhat related yeah?

I mean yeah it's not the strongest argument but I still think there's no good reason to keep the EC around nowadays. Bc honestly even if it did or didn't come from slavery, what matters is how it functions today.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

logikv9 posted:

EC was meant for slavers originally although the "represent smaller states" rationalization came later

i gotta say the slave states were playing the long game there, and boy howdy did it pay off in the end

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know if you realize this, but you haven't actually said anything.

and yet it was somehow more than you

you have said less than nothing

i have forgotten things reading your sentences

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

If California wants more say it should start breaking up into like 10 smaller states

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

EC votes are meaningless. We go strongly blue every time and everyone knows it thus no campaigning happens here and thanks to how swing states work our votes are literally not worth as much. Thanks to EC, millions of votes in CA straight didn't matter.

Relative to Wyoming, mathematically we get 1/70th of the representation in the US Senate per person and 1/3rd the representation per person per EC vote. There is the House ofc, but that's so goddamn gerrymandered anyway it's lol as hell.

As for our relative strength thanks to our GDP...

In 2012 we paid out nearly $300 billion in US federal taxes, and during that same year we received back about 78 cents on the dollar while idiot Southern states nonstop bitching about entitlements get more than $2 per dollar they pay out.

20% of the federal taxes we paid was spent on direct subsidies to other states. That's the equivalent of 2/3rds of our entire state budget that we're sending out to the rest of the country which nonstop shits on us for being some nanny liberal failure state. Our contribution to the US Defense budget was $57 billion in 2012, more than Russia spends on national defense ($52 billion).

Meanwhile, our schools and infrastructure are hard up for cash because we're sending all this money out of state to pay for Brownback's idiot rear end.

What do we get for it? Some lip service and token nods, as far as I can tell.

Purely because they were slave states who didn't want abolition. How is that relevant today?

Given the sorry state of affairs in most of those small pop states, maybe they should get dictated to a little bit.

Abolition happened. Racism is here to stay. This fight has been going since the reconstruction and good luck getting Kingfish to admit that there is a racist component.

We could turn into skeletons while typing, he will just repeat the same point over and over.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

But considering both happened (3/5ths and EC) during the 1787 convention they're probably somewhat related yeah?

I mean yeah it's not the strongest argument but I still think there's no good reason to keep the EC around nowadays. Bc honestly even if it did or didn't come from slavery, what matters is how it functions today.
Well, sure, everything they did there is in some sense related. But I'm inclined to give deference to the original people's explanations for why they did things, over later interpretations. Like, we know that the civil war was about slavery because the confederate constitution stated very clearly that they were there to preserve slavery! In the case of the electoral college, looking at these documents, the default that they kept going back to in the absence of specific elective mechanisms was that the executive be "appointed by the legislature." Given that, and since the 3/5ths compromise would have been as advantageous to slave states in that process as it was under the electoral college, I think it's most reasonable to accept their own explanation, that the electoral college was intended to prevent the influence of deal-making in the legislature over the appointment of the president.

But yeah, that purpose was probably naive to begin with, and is thoroughly obsolete given that the logical alternative to the EC now is not legislative appointment but popular vote. It's a vestige that serves little or no reasonable purpose.

Strudel Man has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Dec 22, 2016

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Strudel Man posted:

The rest is pretty important! The 3/5ths compromise was indeed because of slavery, but the electoral college itself wasn't.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Lord of Pie posted:

If California wants more say it should start breaking up into like 10 smaller states

a few years ago some silicon valley guy tried to break california up into 6 states and it failed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress that. The solution to CA getting snubbed is not to break ourselves up piecemeal into a bunch of inferior states.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

a few years ago some silicon valley guy tried to break california up into 6 states and it failed.
It's funny because one of them would have been the richest per capita state in the union and I think another would have been the poorest?

edit: Yep.

quote:

The California Legislative Analyst's Office, in a report that covered a wide variety of impacts, noted a wide disparity of incomes and tax bases in the proposed states. The report estimated that the state of Silicon Valley would have the nation's highest per capita personal income (PCPI) whereas the state of Central California would have the nation's lowest PCPI.

But it definitely wasn't an attempt to avoid sharing tax money with the poors, don't even think it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I thought it was bizarre as hell that it would put Orange County and Los Angeles County in separate states, since Orange County is definitely part of the greater Los Angeles area no matter what the delusional idiots in south county like to think.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

He's a big supporter of bitcoins too

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the executive branch was originally proposed as being elected by something like a popular vote, and then the counter proposal was election by state legislature, and the EC was sort of the compromise between the two, no? and then states would select electors based either on the state popular vote or the state legislature or some other method as they saw fit? It's been a while since I've read the source material.

Olga Gurlukovich has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Dec 23, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

blamegame posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the executive branch was originally proposed as being elected by something like a popular vote, and then the counter proposal was election by state legislature, and the EC was sort of the compromise between the two, no? and then states would select electors based either on the state popular vote or the state legislature or some other method as they saw fit? It's been a while since I've read the source material.

James Madison, July 19th, 1787 posted:

The right of suffrage was much more diffusive in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of the Negroes. The substitution of electors obviated this difficulty and seemed on the whole to be liable to fewest objections.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

blamegame posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the executive branch was originally proposed as being elected by something like a popular vote, and then the counter proposal was election by state legislature, and the EC was sort of the compromise between the two, no? and then states would select electors based either on the popular vote or the state legislature or some other method as they saw fit? It's been a while since I've read the source material.
There were a few suggestions along those lines:

quote:

Mr. Wilson renewed his declarations in favor of an appointment by the people. He wished to derive not only both branches of the Legislature from the people, without the intervention of the State Legislatures 〈but the Executive also;〉 in order to make them as independent as possible of each other, as well as of the States;

The nearest thing to a vote on that, though, actually seems like it closely resembled the electoral college:

quote:

in order to take up the following resolution submitted by Mr Wilson. namely.

“Resolved that the Executive Magistracy shall be elected in manner following.

That the States be divided intoDistricts — and that the persons, qualified to vote in each District, electMembers for their respective Districts to be electors of the Executive Magistracy

That the electors of the Executive Magistracy meet and they or anyof them shall elect by ballot, but not out of their own Body,Person in whom the Executive authority of the national government shall be vested.” “and on the question to postpone
which failed, 2-7, with 1 undecided.

“To be chosen by the national legislature for the term of seven years” passed, 8-2.

The obvious problem with a direct vote was that, even apart from the issue of slavery specifically, different states had different qualifications for suffrage, and direct counting would have favored whichever was the most expansive. Plus the difficulty of accurate tabulation of everyone, I suppose.

Strudel Man has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Dec 23, 2016

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I don't understand the point of arguing about the origin of the electoral college.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Rubellavator posted:

I don't understand the point of arguing about the origin of the electoral college.
It came up, and it's a moderately interesting question? :shrug:

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Strudel Man posted:

There were a few suggestions along those lines:

The nearest thing to a vote on that, though, actually seems like it closely resembled the electoral college:

which failed, 2-7, with 1 undecided.

“To be chosen by the national legislature for the term of seven yearsâ€Âť passed, 8-2.

The obvious problem with a direct vote was that, even apart from the issue of slavery specifically, different states had different qualifications for suffrage, and direct counting would have favored whichever was the most expansive. Plus the difficulty of accurate tabulation of everyone, I suppose.

I like how you ignored the post right before yours...

Rubellavator posted:

Because if you can continue to willfully ignore the origin of it then the purpose of it becomes less obvious and the process of questioning it becomes muddled.

To simplify:

Racism is over because Obama got elected is much like

The electoral college has a legitimate purpose and is not a tool whose first use was the perpetuation of slavery, followed by its use in the perpetuation of the southern strategy.

So, it's a legitimate part of the constitution that need not be questioned, right?

To which I say:

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
An alternate history in which slaves were given the right to vote, but still were slaves, should be the next book by the guy who wrote guns of the south imo

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Big Fat Iguana posted:

An alternate history in which slaves were given the right to vote, but still were slaves, should be the next book by the guy who wrote guns of the south imo

They were not given the right to vote. They were counted as votes.

Very very different.

They were basically counted as votes to keep them enslave and get their masters elected as president.

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
That's why I want an alternate history novel

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

yeah I know but like everything in the first 90 years of america is basically all about trying to find a 'compromise' between the slave owning agrarian southern aristocrats and the banking manufacturing northern bougie oligarchs, but sometimes they would talk around it

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Princess Di posted:

I like how you ignored the post right before yours...
??? I didn't ignore it. It wasn't there when I was writing my post.

Madison's quote there is of some significance, but using one slice of a statement from a man at the time speaking hypothetically rather than retrospectively in order to appraise the overall goal of the institution seems a bit silly.

The matter of the election of the president was decided/discussed later, on September 4-7 - you can see the nature of the debate for yourself, and notice that the issue of slavery does not seem to play a part in it. Rather, the major concerns appear to be re-eligibility, whether electors will have enough information about the various candidates to decide who among them is the best choice, whether the Senate will have too much power over the executive, and avoiding unseemly politicking in the legislature over a presidential selection.

Princess Di posted:

The electoral college has a legitimate purpose and is not a tool whose first use was the perpetuation of slavery, followed by its use in the perpetuation of the southern strategy.

So, it's a legitimate part of the constitution that need not be questioned, right?
And this is silly. It can be (and is) an undesirable vestige without having been intended to preserve slavery.

Strudel Man has issued a correction as of 10:55 on Dec 23, 2016

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Princess Di posted:

To simplify:

Racism is over because Obama got elected is much like

To which I say:

All the EC does is give smaller states slightly more representational power. There's nothing racist about that.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Rubellavator posted:

All the EC does is give smaller states slightly more representational power. There's nothing racist about that.
Well, the gulf between the large state vote weight and the small can be wide indeed, and having any is rather questionable. But a significant issue beside that is the fact that, by filtering selections through these winner-take-all electors, it greatly diminishes the value of a vote in anything but swing states.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The EC gives a lot of preference to the whims of state lines. As an example, giving the Florida panhandle to Alabama (which has been tried) would turn Florida into a safely blue state, and giving Toledo to Michigan and the UP to Wisconsin (again, another actual border dispute between the states) would turn Michigan into a state that would lean blue.

And like so many things in pre-Civil War American history, many of those state lines come back to slavery, since a lot of states admitted to the union were split in half and admitted in pairs in order to have one free state and one slave state.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Rubellavator posted:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Logically, if we're going to abolish the Electoral College, shouldn't we abolish the Senate too, since it gives a disproportionately large say to states like Wyoming compared to states like California?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Princess Di posted:

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Your creativity is mind-numbing...

-ly absent.

:laffo:

:smugdon:

It sucks to lack fresh ideas, doesn't it?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Princess Di posted:

Your creativity is mind-numbing...

-ly absent.

:laffo:

:smugdon:

It sucks to lack fresh ideas, doesn't it?

To be fair, all I've seen you do is post the same tired, unfunny gifs and emoticons over and over again in lieu of saying anything substantive. I mean, I saw a few posts of yours with actual words in them, but they were in every-one-line-sentence-is-a-paragraph format so I skipped over them on principle.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Cnut the Great posted:

To be fair, all I've seen you do is post the same tired, unfunny gifs and emoticons over and over again in lieu of saying anything substantive. I mean, I saw a few posts of yours with actual words in them, but they were in every-one-line-sentence-is-a-paragraph format so I skipped over them on principle.

So you skipped my words, but you are complaining about lack of substance in what I have to say.

:fuckoff:

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Cnut the Great posted:

Logically, if we're going to abolish the Electoral College, shouldn't we abolish the Senate too, since it gives a disproportionately large say to states like Wyoming compared to states like California?

We can't abolish the senate. It's one of the few provisions of the Constitution specifically protected from Amendment.

What we can do though is shift powers from the Senate to other things until it becomes more ceremonnial, sort of like the House of Lords.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I would fix the proportion issues with the House, and the gerrymandering thingy, before we start devolutionizing the Senate's powers. Right now because it cannot be gerrymandered the Senate is literally less bad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
or we could devote our energy towards making sure better people win downticket races so we don't have to do a bunch of wanking about how we'd totally fix the legislative branch with this One Neat Trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Just locally organize you big bunch of babies. Typical of bourgeois liberals to call for a fantasy fix-all solution at the federal level.

• Locked thread