Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

skeet decorator posted:

This is a hard pill for me to swallow, I see race as a huge motivating factor. Yes, there are a lot of white voters with real problems that aren't being addressed by either party. Hillary knew that and developed a platform that actual addressed those issues. I think her "Depolorables" speech is actually pretty prescient:

[quote="Hillary"]
You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America."

"But the other basket -- and I know this because I see friends from all over America here -- I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas -- as well as, you know, New York and California -- but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well."
[\quote]

Hillary was not unaware there was a large disaffected white voting bloc. She based her campaign on coming together and helping everyone, including disaffected whites. She offered real substantive policy to address these problems. The issue is her policy was based in a reality where coal and manufacturing jobs are never coming back. Trump successfully sold an alternative reality where we can get those jobs back if only we deport illegal immigrants, repeal NAFTA, etc... It's a reality in which facts simply do not matter. This isn't a failure of just the DNC. The RNC and mainstream media had no idea how to handle him either.

The issue is white people are more willing to accept that it's brown people's faults than the fact that their lives might have to permanently change. We can quibble about whether the biggest motivation is economics or race, at the end of the day the solution people embraced is hurting minorities.

I am shocked, shocked that no one paid attention to more than the first sentence of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

sean10mm posted:

e2: It also wouldn't surprise me if we learn that Clinton made some kind of strategic blunder like she did against Obama in the 2008 primaries. She lost all the swing states but ran up the popular vote score in a) states she had no hope of winning, and b) the bluest of the blue states. Maybe she got greedy and spent all those GOTV resources trying to win 400 EVs by taking Georgia and Texas instead of locking down PA? I dunno.

It's possible, I don't know what the gently caress happened in PA. There seems to be a trend of the DNC loving up and state parties having varying success at picking up the slack, like holy poo poo if more states managed what Nevada did. In PA at least the Dems won AG and the other two row offices, but lost Pres and Senate. The Senate candidate was also a woman, which you'd hope wouldn't matter; the more relevant factor was probably just Republicans spending a ton of money painting her as "corrupt" too. (But of course lost seats in the state legislature as usual.)

Here's the local paper article on the ticket splitting. The AG candidate got about 150,000 more votes than Hillary (5% more), with more splitting outside of the southeast and cities. In one county the AG got 49% more votes than Hillary.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
A system where organizations gauge public opinion by calling people and asking how they're voting is willful ignorance, ok.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think anyone is claiming that bad polling is the single reason she lost, just another one of the perfect storm of things that had to go wrong for her to lose.

There's also these "obvious signs" that 99.9999% of people missed but no one has bothered to explain.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Star Man posted:

I find it hard to believe that someone who served in the Senate for eight years and was Secretary of State for four was unqualified. gently caress, even Sarah Palin had more credentials than Trump.

Don't you see that makes her a career politician.

Like I'm holding my breath here waiting for a corporation looking for a CEO being worried a candidate has too much experience.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

Don't forget Clinton's campaign that hilariously tried to paint Pepe the Frog as a nazi. What the gently caress was that about lol? Also, all the name calling of Trump supporters by Clinton's campaign and the media probably just made people sympathize with Trump and his supporters even more. Shaming people who you know nothing about doesn't generally look good. Not all Trump supporters are racist, sexist xenophobes at all. Most of them probably just saw their country going to poo poo and Clinton didn't show herself as someone who could help them. And I can understand that quite well.

Next time don't call racists racist, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

So all Trump supporters are racists?

Of course not. And that's not even close to anything Hillary ever said, even with the "deplorables" thing.

Awfully suspicious that that's where you go immediately though.

• Locked thread