Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

CalvinCoolidge posted:

Sorry family, we're going to be funding local civil engineering projects rather than just hand our money to armed Jihadi's the next few years. I'm sure we'll pull through.

high hopes I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

RasperFat posted:

I'll be from the other side of the aisle and it's strange.

I want to ask a question to Trump supporters here without judging and slinging mud.

I should also say I hated Hillary and only voted for her because having Republicans in control of any branch of government is basically always bad. Most of the worst parts of Democratic control on steroids (Cronyism, corruption, lobbying, throwing workers under the bus), but with the bonus of limiting access to reproductive health/healthcare in general, destroying education, disenfranchising women and PoC, and an even itchier trigger finger for military intervention than the Ds.

I just want to know to honestly know why people supported Trump in bigger numbers than most thought plausible.

He has no religious convictions and has been proven to be a serial sexual assaulter, he bragged about it for fucks sake.

Trump himself is elitist, born rich, and cheated/bungled his way through his entire professional life by avoiding taxes, bribing people, and using daddy's money. He's an opportunist with no qualms about screwing over average joes to enrich himself (doesn't pay contractors, Trump Foundation buying a 50,000 dollar portrait of Trump).

I want to gently caress the establishment as much as the next guy but how is guy buddy buddy with he billionaires that gutted this country going to help average American people?

I honestly want to know what was the motivation. Trolling liberals? Changing up the system? Dislike for cultures that are being co-opted into America?

I'm genuinely curious and do not want a flame war. Half my family are Trump supporters and are not rabid racists or really bad people. I want to know to talk with them on Thanksgiving with understanding of why they voted Trump.

Its a gently caress you vote and people in that position don't think that far ahead. They do not understand how to rationalize or think out a situation or even understand how government works on a basic level, and in desperation grasp at Trump.

And in my area there are a lot of old people, they are not known for their swiftness of thought. The elderly are basically time travellers from the 1950s/60s so you can imagine they have not very progressive world views.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

You have to remember that Fox news is treated as a reputable outlet and people have consigned themselves to their echo chambers. When you were raised to watch TV and get your news from it, everytime a Hillary is going to eat a baby story comes up, a certain amount of people believe it.

And people are ultimately selfish, they don't care about social/public goods that don't immediately help them, see this interview - http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/12/opinions/van-jones-messy-truth/index.html

The one guy claims to be a businessman ousted several times by regulation. Instead of being a smart person and, I dont know, choosing a different loving business, he hopes the government will solve his problems. This is the typical blame everyone else first mindset for Americans.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

On the other hand, this sort of post, as a representative of the sentiment commonly held among progressives and broadcast nationally in both media commentary and the plots to TV shows and movies, is a large part of why many people voted Trump.

When a party decides to ignore, mock, or outright vilify a large chunk of the population for ~30 years, it shouldn't surprise you that they'll eventually turn to someone else who shows them respect. It's actually quite rational; you vote for someone who you think will represent your interests. When someone says "we despise you and your entire way of life, just go and die," that person is not likely to represent your interests. If you tell coal miners you're going to put them out of work, they will vote against you.

It turns out that the Dems got high off their own supply of "changing demographics ensure we will win everything forever" and nominated a notoriously corrupt party insider whose biggest fanbase was people who have seen "Hamilton" live more than once, only to find that even if the "permanent majority" theory might be true in the long run they badly miscalculated the timeline.

It cannot be overstated just how much the national Democratic party has been kicking the ball into their own goal this election cycle.

I'm from those areas, its not anecdotal. They are desperate and raised in abusive environments. Not all are incapable of critical thinking, but most are beyond it and have given up.

• Locked thread