Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

KiteAuraan posted:

present a unified populist vision to people moving forward. highlight that it is the forces of global capitalism that have failed them, that the jobs they want, high paying manufacturing jobs, are never coming back, that unless they accept a hellfucked environment and $1.00 a day wages they will never have a textile factory in south carolina again. highlight how Trump is a loving liar, how he promised them something he can't deliver, how he is NOT their voice, he just lies to them for power and prestige. hammer hard on how he and the republicans are failing them. use the mass support for minimum wage increases (an increase to $12 an hour passed in loving arizona, goddamn) to highlight how the republicans want to take that away from them, and they'll have to fight with vote and union to stop them. show them that Trump is the very jetsetting global elite that is loving them and that it is not the workers of the developing world who are ruining them, those are just poor souls even more hosed by the elite than they. give them data and info in a digestible form about the Koch brothers, the capitalists, the bankers and multinational global elites, who live in the united states, but are not their saviors or their allies. tell them that coal is dead globally, the price is never going to rise, that you may have work but it will be for below-poverty wages with little to no safety. offer them hope from that in government programs to retrain, and if they can't retrain, a GMI to let them live comfortably. sell it as coming from higher taxes on the us-based global capitalist that is ruining them. do that and you'll get back the people who split for Trump, you'll wide the wave and gently caress it, you will goddamn try.

also, if they trot out protectionism, point to how protectionist loving Japan is, and how they've been hellfucked for decades now, with no end in sight.

basically the democratic party is loving doomed because they will not do this.

The question was, did you want some straws for your soda cup?

(try to use less words in C-SPAM to make your points, thanks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I still remember all the worst Hillarymen smugly asserting that they didn't have to grant any concessions to Bernie supporters because they lost, and should Deal With It, and the only sensible path forward was to court Neocon war criminals and moderate Republicans, only to have Democrats decisively vote more for Trump than the other way around.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Donald J "The Leader of the Free World" Trump just let that sink in abuela

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
list of democrats i would have voted for as someone who registered democrat for this election (i did vote in the primaries):
bernie sanders
joe biden
kanye west???

list of democrats i would not vote for:
hillary clinton

also note

some working class americans do still vote democrat and support unions and believe in the democratic message
see - the kentucky district i live in is one of very few that went blue this election and voted in a young un-tested dem over a incumbent republican because she:
1 - personally knocked on like 15,000 doors
2 - got support from the right local and national people
3 - had a very clear list of policies and positions that anyone could understand

she won by 200 votes but she did win

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Hillary got her chance. And you know what, she stepped up to the line and airballed it.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I still remember all the worst Hillarymen smugly asserting that they didn't have to grant any concessions to Bernie supporters because they lost, and should Deal With It, and the only sensible path forward was to court Neocon war criminals and moderate Republicans, only to have Democrats decisively vote more for Trump than the other way around.

Yes. The entire summer was squandered chasing after Republicans who ended up going home in the last two weeks of the election. It was political malpractice. Meanwhile, the black vote in Detroit and Milwaukee and Philadelphia cratered.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Fortunately it can't just be repealed since the health industry requires it to function. It has to be replaced with something comprehensive. My guess is the republicans won't bother with that, so in the end it will be tweaked.

I got terrible news for you. The healthcare provider I used to work for privately decided to leave the exchange awhile back because it just wasnt worth it. They also had a lot of employers convert plans to HSAs and private plans to avoid ACA regulations, and it was apparently really easy to get exemptions from ACA regulations for the remaining plans. I think many health insurers could shut down their exchange plans in a startlingly short amount of time.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

oh loving please. this was well before he lost

i'm not trying to defend loving fishmech, i'm just pointing out why some bernie supporters have a reputation of being both really obsessed with bernie sanders and having persecution complexes the size of a continent.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They were going to get 0% of what they wanted at all. I wonder if that ever became a pattern...

i mean that's true if all they wanted was Bernie Sanders and not anything he supported

and judging by how some fled to trump that might have been true in some cases

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Thundercracker posted:

There's just a complete collapse in faith in the DNC

This is probably the most damaging part of the whole election. They sold the win. Don't worry about it it'll be fine and here we are. Now the country gets to be taken for at least a 4 year ride of every Republican wet dream imaginable.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Yinlock posted:

i mean that's true if all they wanted was Bernie Sanders and not anything he supported

this is all in your head

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

ah yes, hillary supporters saying we should court the war criminal vote such as

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

comedyblissoption posted:

if misogyny is your primary takeaway for why clinton has lost you are not loving paying attention

some of the criticisms of clinton are actually quite legitimate! stop plugging your ears and screaming la la la whenever someone criticizes your abuela. there's a reason why people loving hate her guts and it's not because she's a woman.

it's not that people hate her for being a woman, duh. they hate her for being "unlikeable" right? who can say why a bunch of coal miners and farmers found her "unlikeable." perhaps because she was too nakedly ambitious, or too shrill, or too cold?

of course there are many legitimate criticisms of her and lots of reasons why she lost but sexism is undeniably one of them and not a small one either

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yinlock posted:

i do not think the number of berniebros who went to trump or even third part was significant enough to swing the election either way. bernie supporters overwhelmingly supported clinton when he conceded, don't let idiots on facebook and twitter lead you to believe otherwise.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

any political campaign is going to produce rancorous arguments between opposing camps and hothousing within camps, particularly on the internet and particularly particularly on this forum. neither clinton or sanders are going to lead in 2020 and i don't think relitigating not even the primary, but the primary thread, is the path forward

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cubey posted:

i do not think the number of berniebros who went to trump or even third part was significant enough to swing the election either way. bernie supporters overwhelmingly supported clinton when he conceded, don't let idiots on facebook and twitter lead you to believe otherwise.

that's why i'm always careful to say "some" and "a portion"

a majority of sanders supporters are really good people! there's just a super obnoxious vocal minority that is unfortunately out in full force at the moment

E: and i'm not arguing that sanders supporters won things for trump either, just that it's a bit odd to be placing 100% of the blame solely on hillary

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cubey posted:

The ones who turned out at least. The young voter turnout was piss poor.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

HannibalBarca posted:

Yes. The entire summer was squandered chasing after Republicans who ended up going home in the last two weeks of the election. It was political malpractice. Meanwhile, the black vote in Detroit and Milwaukee and Philadelphia cratered.

Scranton as well. There's about 100k votes from Scranton that no showed vs '12. She under performed urban PA hardcore. For what was supposed to be the most sophisticated and vaunted GOTV op ever it laid a loving egg.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Guy DeBorgore posted:

it's not that people hate her for being a woman, duh. they hate her for being "unlikeable" right? who can say why a bunch of coal miners and farmers found her "unlikeable." perhaps because she was too nakedly ambitious, or too shrill, or too cold?

she was unlikeable because republicans had a 20+ year smear campaign against her

the smear campaign was predicated on complete bullshit that they could never support with facts but that does not matter. just in my house two people who are lifelong d voters did not vote clinton because she was 'corrupt'. for rust belters who already felt that the democrats had failed them, hearing this poo poo about her for that long absolutely had to have been a major driving force for them just staying home.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Yinlock posted:

a majority of sanders supporters are really good people! there's just a super obnoxious vocal minority that is unfortunately out in full force at the moment

E: and i'm not arguing that sanders supporters won things for trump either, just that it's a bit odd to be placing 100% of the blame solely on hillary

so it's also partially the fault of an obnoxious minority who had no effect on the election

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat
anything that cost hillary 1M votes can fairly be said to be the reason why she lost

and there are a whollllle lot of different things that cost her 1M votes

the number 1M is pulled directly from my rear end but whatever you get the idea

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Scranton as well. There's about 100k votes from Scranton that no showed vs '12. She under performed urban PA hardcore. For what was supposed to be the most sophisticated and vaunted GOTV op ever it laid a loving egg.

Remember when the Democratic Party rolled over and let James O'Keefe kill ACORN?

Might have come in handy.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

list of democrats i would have voted for as someone who registered democrat for this election (i did vote in the primaries):
bernie sanders
joe biden
kanye west???

list of democrats i would not vote for:
hillary clinton

great work! you did it! victory!

quote:

also note

some working class americans do still vote democrat and support unions and believe in the democratic message
see - the kentucky district i live in is one of very few that went blue this election and voted in a young un-tested dem over a incumbent republican because she:
1 - personally knocked on like 15,000 doors
2 - got support from the right local and national people
3 - had a very clear list of policies and positions that anyone could understand

she won by 200 votes but she did win

this is actually cool though, any idea on the dem's name?

Pure Blaxplotiation
Jan 19, 2009
*Cuts open the bloated corpse of the Clinton campaign* oh well heres the problem *removes the vile useless sack of spineless weak rear end neoliberalism*

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yinlock posted:

ah yes, hillary supporters saying we should court the war criminal vote such as

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/8/12/1559556/-Hillary-Clinton-Touts-Endorsement-by-John-Negroponte-Reagan-s-Death-Squad-Ambassador

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yinlock posted:

i'm not trying to defend loving fishmech, i'm just pointing out why some bernie supporters have a reputation of being both really obsessed with bernie sanders and having persecution complexes the size of a continent.

Millenials and younger overwhelmingly voted Clinton. Like, to a ridiculous degree

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The ones who turned out at least. The young voter turnout was piss poor.

This was the problem. I wonder what could have depressed the turnout of the BernieBros? BernieBros. BernieBros. The racist and sexist BernieBros. Just say that word every two sentences in every news article about the Dems for six months and then just WONDER why the BernieBros didn't bother getting up for Clinton.

Clinton is a master of shooting herself in the foot due to her colossal hubris.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yinlock posted:

it's....... really, really not odd to place the blame for losing on the candidate that lost.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Not a Step posted:

I got terrible news for you. The healthcare provider I used to work for privately decided to leave the exchange awhile back because it just wasnt worth it. They also had a lot of employers convert plans to HSAs and private plans to avoid ACA regulations, and it was apparently really easy to get exemptions from ACA regulations for the remaining plans. I think many health insurers could shut down their exchange plans in a startlingly short amount of time.

You can't avoid all ACA regulations. It's full of nuts-and-bolts stuff. As I understand it, it isn't just a layer of regulation over a pre-existing framework, it IS also the framework. That's why you can't just pass an act that says "ACA is repealed."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Guy DeBorgore posted:

of course there are many legitimate criticisms of her and lots of reasons why she lost but sexism is undeniably one of them and not a small one either

She literally threatened the livelihoods of coal miners, and tried to soothe them by promising a vague "aid" package, without ever clarifying what it would do.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vox Nihili posted:

it's....... really, really not odd to place the blame for losing on the candidate that lost.

You can find some nice hot takes in d&d about how it's not a presidential candidate's job to convince you to vote for them.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yinlock posted:

It's not the voters' job to get a candidate elected.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Yinlock posted:

For my part, I'm not totally blaming Hillary (although she did make some mistakes), but if I ever meet Robby Mook or John Podesta I'm going to have to resist the urge to punch them in the head.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Cubey posted:

she was unlikeable because republicans had a 20+ year smear campaign against her

the smear campaign was predicated on complete bullshit that they could never support with facts but that does not matter. just in my house two people who are lifelong d voters did not vote clinton because she was 'corrupt'. for rust belters who already felt that the democrats had failed them, hearing this poo poo about her for that long absolutely had to have been a major driving force for them just staying home.
even if clinton is not corrupt, she still has the extreme appearance of impropriety and conflict of interest when she gets giant bags of money rained down on her from wall street

that type of behavior should not be considered acceptable for anyone seeking high public office

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lastgirl posted:

The question was, did you want some straws for your soda cup?

(try to use less words in C-SPAM to make your points, thanks.)

thanks for the one effortpost

ed balls

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yinlock posted:

lol. Never change.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Vox Nihili posted:

great work! you did it! victory!

this is actually cool though, any idea on the dem's name?

i live in kentucky my not voting for clinton had no impact whatsoever nationally

the kentucky state rep is mckenzie cantrell, we went to uofl law together and were both in the class of '12 so it was really cool to see her win our district

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vox Nihili posted:

What about Obama??

Obama and his crowd do not give a gently caress about anything any more dude. Hes giving the keys to a dude who called him a fuckin kenya muslim lol

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

i said solely

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Panzeh posted:

You can find some nice hot takes in d&d about how it's not a presidential candidate's job to convince you to vote for them.

YOU'RE just supposed to be WITH ME! it's not my job to campaign and win!! (it is precisely your job & you let us all down & now we're all crying and screaming & possibly dying soon)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Not a Step posted:

lol. Never change.

same to you, guy doing weird i told you so victory lap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Obama and his crowd do not give a gently caress about anything any more dude. Hes giving the keys to a dude who called him a fuckin kenya muslim lol

i feel like theres more to obama than that, but maybe i'm just still full of hope & change...

• Locked thread