Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

tower time posted:

One thing I still struggle with is why exactly the Clinton campaign poured so much money into advertising in the Los Angeles area, and California in general. While sheer incompetence or kickbacks to friends seem more likely, I can't help but entertain the small possibility that someone in the campaign actually predicted a Trump victory and made a choice to pour ad money into California to run up popular vote totals for a counter-narrative. It seems incredibly unlikely, and why attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity, but attempts to run up the popular vote total are the only logical reason I can think of to spend big money in California.

It was probably bleedover from Nevada, I live in San Diego and we got ads for a couple months at least. Also got some Trump ads near the end there lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/798096900578799616

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

How is it possible to be this detached from reality

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

temple posted:

That is deeply cynical and ignores the liberal progress of the 20th century. Liberals won the culture war and would be far more progressive if left unchecked. Republicans fight so hard because they have something to win. Liberals are simply maintaining the social inertia already in place. Due to capitalism, I can't think of an area of life that isn't affected by grifters or charlatans. Being a democrat is trying to convince 40% of Americans to work with the other 60%. Republicans are simply destroying progress, which is massively easier to plan and implement.

But this ignores all the points where Liberals (or leftists I guess) have plenty to fight for? And that they lost the economic war. They lost it happily it seems, when you read comments like Chuck Schumer's.

And being a politician means trying to convince half of a population with the other half. If that's too much for a politician, they picked the wrong career.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Venom Snake posted:

yknow speaking of this Chuck is not nearly as dumb as I thought he was. Clintons dead campaign wasn't even cold and he was backing Keith

i don't think anyone ever really considered schumer to be an idiot, just a shithead. but he's enough of a shithead that he'll do whatever he needs to in order to stay relevant within the party and in this case it's to our benefit.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I wonder if he ever advised someone who won.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it was everyone's fault except theirs lol

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

i like how hillary is essentially dead even to people who don't think it was the campaigns fault lmbo

AHungryRobot posted:

How is it possible to be this detached from reality

Speaking from experience: these people are all living in the Nixon "I don't know anyone who voted for him" la la land

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Typo posted:

The democrats are losing more elections aren't they

maybe if poo poo like that continues. if Keith Ellison gets in maybe it can quiet the "WE LOST BECAUSE RACISM" people and excite the actual progressives.

pretty much. the GOP kept Obama from getting alot done and will now probably undo most of the good he did.

what a jerkoff.

Rand alPaul posted:

He said mean things about oil companies in Louisiana.

kinda. the dollop(comedy history podcast who bernie people, they are great) did one on him. he did alot of good, but he was also a gigantic petty fuckhead who hosed over the families of anyone who even looked at him the wrong way.
http://thedollop.libsyn.com/215-huey-long

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you live in D.C. then the importance of government/voting is extremely obvious to you because your entire life revolves around it. It's easy to fall into the "why doesn't anyone care?????" mentality which inevitably leads to either the situation I'm in where I'm reevaluating or the situation he's in where he's given up even trying.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/798097770129321984

https://twitter.com/kthalps/status/798040041708605440

kibaces
Jul 11, 2016

:kiss:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Bernie bros!! Bernie Bros!!" I say as I shrink into a guy with no power

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
peter daou used to brag about serving in a fascist christian militia in lebanon to own conservatives, until people started calling him on it, then he threatened to sue them for slander

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/798027270803705856
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/798027840163713024
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/798028403886567424
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/798029967120441345
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/798031306630172672

Didn't Epic High Five or someone say it was the weakest coalition since Carter's or some poo poo like that?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

"Bernie bros!! Bernie Bros!!" I say as I shrink into a guy with no power

Bernie bros have one weird trick to beat Donald Trump!!! Pepe hates it!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

iospace posted:

Didn't Epic High Five or someone say it was the weakest coalition since Carter's or some poo poo like that?

Theoretically yes. Only problem is that every single one of them is craven enough to come together at the end of the day to support each other. Your going to need to make them think that they are better off alone and that starts with presenting an actual electoral challenge to their control of the house and senate. Internal squabbling will cost the GOP a lot in the long run, but for right now they don't have any real outside pressure on them.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
isn't trying to appeal to some mythical sense of republican decency, from the donor class and natsec establishment especially, against trump's extremist lunacy, like, exactly how hillary just lost?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Swan Oat posted:

isn't trying to appeal to some mythical sense of republican decency, from the donor class and natsec establishment especially, against trump's extremist lunacy, like, exactly how hillary just lost?

Most of those people were banking on "HE CAN BE CONTROLLED :byodood:" I bet.

Meanwhile we're sitting here going "hahahaha no :suicide:"

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Swan Oat posted:

Focusing on it instead of focusing on her own base. You could do both. But I think you will get better results out of crushing them with actual competently run campaigns and messaging rather than looking for That One Weird Trick to break up the GOP.

kibaces
Jul 11, 2016
is the 2016 tumblr white female tears up yet?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I think it's kind of interesting, as a newly reformed hillbot who signed the Keith petition, is that the first email list spam I got from Bernie was asking me to get more people involved and included no appeal for money.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

mrmcd posted:

I think it's kind of interesting, as a newly reformed hillbot who signed the Keith petition, is that the first email list spam I got from Bernie was asking me to get more people involved and included no appeal for money.

probably mulling over where they would put it. There's Our Revolution, which was raising funds right up to the Trump victory, and that was, I think, intended to fuel selected progressive democratic candidates during Hillary's presidency. But with Trump in charge and the DNC under possible progressive control...

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 14:11 on Nov 14, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Shame Paul Ryan- this will definitely be the breaking point.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

What happens to the left over money from the campaign? Is that the party's now?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What happens to the left over money from the campaign? Is that the party's now?

Depends. Stuff left over in PAC's will probably just get used on projects later on while Campaign money typically goes to the party and or sits there forever. Sometimes the candidates themselves will just use it for w/e later on down the line.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If Hillary wants to start repairing being persona non grata she should let the party have that money so they can focus on rebuilding with a huge war chest.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Isn't voting inherently not a job, while convincing people to vote is a difficult and in-demand job?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

kibaces posted:

is the 2016 tumblr white female tears up yet?

yeah but its a fetish site

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Democrats worked hard to make sure there's a circular firing squad this year even if they have to do it themselves.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, people are really, really resisting the idea that class is a thing that exists huh

Like, I knew they were doing this before too, I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of a young coastal professional writing an article with the headline "poor white people can kiss my brown rear end" and thinking they still have the moral high ground and are #woke

can we like #wake people a little bit more

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brain Curry posted:

Isn't voting inherently not a job, while convincing people to vote is a difficult and in-demand job?

Yes. Voting has a couple problems: 1. you aren't guaranteed time off to vote in the US. 2. voter suppression via 9001 different methods, including legal (voter ID) and illegal (showing up outside a polling location and making threats).

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i think, even with the progressive takeover, the long-term trend is likely to still be in this direction. midwest moving red while the south moves blue

i just thought it'd go via 'both are democratic' this election lol

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peel posted:

i think, even with the progressive takeover, the long-term trend is likely to still be in this direction. midwest moving red while the south moves blue

i just thought it'd go via 'both are democratic' this election lol

Yeah the coasts/sun belt are only going to get more blue. This election however proved that demographics gazing doesn't win you anything inside the current system.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Being a salesperson must be really easy

"It's your job to buy my product, not mine to convince you. Such a self-centered argument: my prices are exorbitant and my product is worst-in-class"

or, like, a lawyer

"It's your job to find in my favor, not mine to convince you. Friggin JURY BROS!!!!!"

Interesting question: what does Peter Daou think his job, y'know, is

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

loquacius posted:

Being a salesperson must be really easy

"It's your job to buy my product, not mine to convince you. Such a self-centered argument: my prices are exorbitant and my product is worst-in-class"

or, like, a lawyer

"It's your job to find in my favor, not mine to convince you. Friggin JURY BROS!!!!!"

Interesting question: what does Peter Daou think his job, y'know, is

Being Correct. I am not joking.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr. Daou, what-- what would you say... ya DO here? *confused shrug*

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

The world's most correct boy

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Venom Snake posted:

So... the left's version of Bill Kristol? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Five_of_the_United_States_Constitution

They only need 2/3rds of the states to propose new amendments, but they need 3/4 of the state legislatures to actually ratify them. That means 38. They'll have majorities in both houses in 32 states next year.

• Locked thread