Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Concerned Citizen posted:

Yes well everyone talks about bringing out people who usually don't vote, and no one has ever been able to do it. And many of those voters are not Democrats or Dem-leaning.

Even assuming you're correct, neither are the people that do vote. Are you suggesting we keep going further right and give the panera strategy another shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
or a hentai vn :unsmigghh:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
run on some simple messages that poll well
repeat them endlessly
dont apologize
call the other guys pissbabies
once in office, actually accomplish some of the simple stuff you promise, boast about it endlessly

repeat

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
soviet workers got vacations, unlike most american workers lmao

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Lastgirl posted:

for ossoff

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Zhulik posted:

Even assuming you're correct, neither are the people that do vote. Are you suggesting we keep going further right and give the panera strategy another shot?

I think the long term strategy should be moving the electorate left, not assuming people's opinions are set in stone. Progressives will never win as long as huge percentages of the electorate fundamentally think government is bad. Then we don't need to move to the right, nor have to rely on non-existent voters.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Homeless Friend posted:

soviet workers got vacations, unlike most american workers lmao

They also got free milk if their occupation was hazardous. Where's my free milk, Obungler????

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

this is also basically why millenials don't have good jobs or homes too

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Yes well everyone talks about bringing out people who usually don't vote, and no one has ever been able to do it. And many of those voters are not Democrats or Dem-leaning.
No one has been running on a decent inclusive platform that targets people's needs

There's a reason the politician trope is a corrupt rear end in a top hat who doublespeaks.
There's a reason why Bunny Thunders is the most popular politician in America.

It's because he doesn't really act like one

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

this is also basically why millenials don't have good jobs or homes too

they're too busy killing jobs and homes industries simultaneously

its brutal

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Al! posted:

i like this one because you can imagine instead of tweets they're text boxes from a jrpg

my first thoight too

as ever, reality is an order of magnitude stupider

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Also recruiting republicans is a losing effort but they still get them to turn out so they're a success????

It's like they don't care about winning or the people (which would make them win)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

jon ossoff saw those dumb weird lovely commercials for the financial service company where the couple is texting each other about saving for retirement and looking pensieve and was like "that speaks to me"

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

I think the long term strategy should be moving the electorate left, not assuming people's opinions are set in stone. Progressives will never win as long as huge percentages of the electorate fundamentally think government is bad. Then we don't need to move to the right, nor have to rely on non-existent voters.

Okay, sure, that sounds like a plan. What do you figure are some good ways to proceed on that front?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what I think is so interesting, and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, is that in a lot of ways america and in some ways the UK are realizing their greatest fears of communism under late capitalism

-people burning up in their homes due to unsafe building conditions
-power controlled by an elite few with unjust rule over the many
-individual rights to property denied i.e. john deere saying they can only be leased from corporations
-centralized control of industries and culture via monopolies or silicon valley tech giants like spotify
-crumbling infrastructure that isn't maintained nor renovated
-lack of labor rights and ability to stand up to unfair bosses

in essence, hard left radicalism has now no longer become ideal but in fact necessary in order to kick power back down to the many so that the people's needs are more fairly represented and met by the body politic in the policies put forward

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

anime was right posted:

run on some simple messages that poll well
repeat them endlessly
dont apologize
call the other guys pissbabies
once in office, actually accomplish some of the simple stuff you promise, boast about it endlessly

repeat

im sorry, im going to need to hire david plouffe ans robby mook and jeff weaver to validate + proof these messages with a focus group then tweak messaging to appeal to romney voters before i feel comfortable adopting this language

- jon ossoff, probably

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ThndrShk2k posted:

No one has been running on a decent inclusive platform that targets people's needs

There's a reason the politician trope is a corrupt rear end in a top hat who doublespeaks.
There's a reason why Bunny Thunders is the most popular politician in America.

It's because he doesn't really act like one

Bernie lost and didn't attract very many new voters compared to past primaries.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Taintrunner posted:

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, in a lot of ways america and in some ways the UK are realizing their greatest fears of communism under late capitalism

aside from 'communism' and 'capitalism' being pretty much meaningless terms?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

In large part due to overwhelming institutional forces arrayed against him, but hey whose counting right, never mind that overwhelming popularity

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Hillary lost and didn't attract very many new voters compared to past generals.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

*Looks at closed primaries and registration problems abound
*Looks at the difference between primaries and actual elections

These must not be the reasons :thunk:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Taintrunner posted:

what I think is so interesting, and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, is that in a lot of ways america and in some ways the UK are realizing their greatest fears of communism under late capitalism

-individual rights to property denied i.e. john deere saying they can only be leased from corporations
-centralized control of industries and culture via monopolies or silicon valley tech giants like spotify

in essence, hard left radicalism has now no longer become ideal but in fact necessary in order to kick power back down to the many so that the people's needs are more fairly represented and met by the body politic in the policies put forward

i dont believe in full communism, but ill fight for it because if we get 75% of the way there, poo poo will be pretty good

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Don't forget the jewel trotted out with Hayek and the Choice theorists he inspired: Communism will make you work a job you are not suited to/hate/demeans you in the interests of some abstract concept.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ex post facho posted:

In large part due to overwhelming institutional forces arrayed against him, but hey whose counting right

Don't think those institutional forces stopped, say, a young voter in Virginia from showing up to vote for Bernie.

Lastgirl posted:

Hillary lost and didn't attract very many new voters compared to past generals.

:ok:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
anyone remember outlets counting superdels and pledged dels together to show hollary with an insurmountable lead

and then when you removed superdels it was a significantly narrower margin

good times

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Oh, good day to you too, zegermans.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don't think those institutional forces stopped, say, a young voter in Virginia from showing up to vote for Bernie.

so you are saying we should adopt ww2 nazi germany's platform then

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

they stopped me from voting for him in NY.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ThndrShk2k posted:

*Looks at closed primaries and registration problems abound
*Looks at the difference between primaries and actual elections

These must not be the reasons :thunk:

Bernie did not attract many new voters in totally open primaries where he was spending millions, with an electorate small enough where even a small increase in new participants would have flipped many results. At some point you have to demonstrate success at turning out these voters, in some way. Otherwise it's just fantasy politics.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Hey guys, I think running as anti-establishment/anti-status quo party would most likely work since 65%+ of Americans are living pay check to pay check and are addicted to heroin because their life is a living hell.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Matt Zerella posted:

they stopped me from voting for him in NY.

Cool and NY's laws suck. No other state is remotely as bad as that - he still lost most open primaries.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
We need to invest in next-generation smart lanyards.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Bernie did not attract many new voters in totally open primaries where he was spending millions, with an electorate small enough where even a small increase in new participants would have flipped many results. At some point you have to demonstrate success at turning out these voters, in some way. Otherwise it's just fantasy politics.
Fantasy politics is attracting republicans and being surprised you lost.

Reality politics is everyone considers politicians mealy mouthed two faced rat bastards and Bernie Sanders gave the most qualified politician a run for her money abruptly by actually caring about people and being one of the least corrupt people in the government with a record to prove it.

Just think how that translates to the general.
(I call it: Bernie Would've Won)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Montasque posted:

Hey guys, I think running as anti-establishment/anti-status quo party would most likely work since 65%+ of Americans are living pay check to pay check and are addicted to heroin because their life is a living hell.

nah, let's run on not raising taxes on the wealthy and denying that single payer is the right solution to a completely hosed healthcare system without actually proposing a better alternative, that'll drive turnout!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Montasque posted:

The best part is the people in power think the United States is immune to the sort of insurrections that topple third world countries that experience massive disparities in wealth and unemployment among college educated youth.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

In WY bernie had the most votes, but the superdelegates were hillmen so rip party unity in that state lol

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Didn't this primary season have a markedly increased youth turnout? And didn't he also get something ridiculous like 70+% of those < 30y/o votes?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Montasque posted:

Empty quote

Also because the gop are officially at the wheel so we don't have to explain the nuance of Congress vs the president

Tromp bad!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ThndrShk2k posted:

(I call it: Bernie Would've Won)

he would have, but sadly, the democrats were more interested in clearing the field for iron abuela who could not fail, only be failed #resist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

the "he lost open primaries" poo poo is p. disingenuous given that a large chunk of them occurred in the south

• Locked thread