Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Serf posted:

this but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

redneck nazgul posted:

it's a good thing you're getting me all hyped up to vote for <insert democrat here>, steve

i don't know how your policies are gonna affect me and my blue collar, but i sure am glad you have this platform of "vote for us, we're not them"

I don't need to water the flowers before a rainstorm. The Trumpcession/Trumpression will do that job for me.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Heaven Spacey posted:

What is a good way to get involved politically or socially at the local level? By which I mean volunteering or community organizing. I want to make the world a better place with my own two hands, even if it's just helping a neighborhood get working streetlights or helping people get clean clothes so they can go to job interviews.

Work a pantry or bank, meet with the county Dems repeatedly. Work on some school board elections.

The biggest thing you can do that will have results you can see and feel would be helping to create a union at your place of employment if you're in a state you can. Also, the $15 dollar movement is making real headway in tons of larger cities, and many of those organizers will be doing bigger things in their future.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Corey Booker is a nicer Tommy Carcetti .

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Nameless_Steve posted:

I don't need to water the flowers before a rainstorm.

i don't need to spend money in michigan and wisconsin

i need to go be on stage with lena dunham, that will endear me to voters

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Nameless_Steve posted:

Oh, no, Cory Booker! He likes the idea of charter schools and doesn't completely loving hate the banks, he might as well be a Republican!

You're right that we can't be at each other's throats now, but surely you have to see that someone like Booker represents a step backward rather than forward. Democrats like him only support social justice until it interferes with corporate interests. They're the reason why working-class Republicans continue to exist, even though the Civil Rights Act which spawned them was half a century ago.

mugrim posted:

Work a pantry or bank, meet with the county Dems repeatedly. Work on some school board elections.

The biggest thing you can do that will have results you can see and feel would be helping to create a union at your place of employment if you're in a state you can. Also, the $15 dollar movement is making real headway in tons of larger cities, and many of those organizers will be doing bigger things in their future.

I live in south Texas. Specifically, the District which used to send the noble and esteemed Dr. Ron Paul to congress time and again.

I actually remember the congressional ads from his race in the 90s when I was a kid. "If I were you, I'd be leery of Sneery."

Chillgamesh has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Dec 5, 2016

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Nameless_Steve posted:

Oh, no, Cory Booker! He likes the idea of charter schools and doesn't completely loving hate the banks, he might as well be a Republican!

well, yeah

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

cory booker is bad, but the real threat is someone like Jaime Harrison, DNC chair candidate and former lobbyist. among his accomplishment are helping kill EFTA on behalf of Cintas and fighting cap and trade on behalf of coal. Dems like Booker can stay in the party as long as they're kept away from leadership roles and they get in line when we need them. "Dems" like Harrison are poison and will stab us in the guts if we give them a chance- he needs to be exiled.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Atrocious Joe posted:

Tbf a probably not insignificant number of people who believed Obama was a Muslim, and that Muslims are suspicious, voted for him.

I really don't know how to think about that.

This was my favorite poll finding of 2016: the 2% of Floridians who think Hillary is literally a demon and are voting for her.

(Also the 14% who believe she's an actual demon and are still not sure they can vote for Trump.)

Joementum has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Dec 5, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

Joementum posted:

This was my favorite poll finding of 2016: the 2% of Floridians who think Hillary is literally a demon and are voting for her.

When questions like this started to be asked in earnest we probably should've seen the writing on the wall.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Serf posted:

When questions like this started to be asked in earnest we probably should've seen the writing on the wall.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Before anyone bothers, yes, I know I phrased the percentage weights incorrectly in that post.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Exactly. Time to start preparing for a future where essential personhood is questioned openly and acted upon in a quasi-official capacity.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Before the election I thought that antisemitism was mostly for old farts and wouldn't be making a comeback to compete with the new hotness of Islamophobia and so on. I guess I was wrong.

I learned so much from this election.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Serf posted:

Exactly. Time to start preparing for a future where essential personhood is questioned openly and acted upon in a quasi-official capacity.
i'm getting a poncho to go with my lever-action rifles

Serf
May 5, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'm getting a poncho to go with my lever-action rifles

Objectively the correct choice.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Heaven Spacey posted:

I live in south Texas. Specifically, the District which used to send the noble and esteemed Dr. Ron Paul to congress time and again.

I actually remember the congressional ads from his race in the 90s when I was a kid. "If I were you, I'd be leery of Sneery."

In South Texas your answer is probably MALDEF and county boards. While your area has issues, the valley itself is super blue.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nameless_Steve posted:

I was a field organizer for Hillary, I can tell you with a high level of confidence that her most diehard fans and ground-level advocates don't want her to run again and aren't even considering the possibility. They've taken pride in the "love-based" campaign she ran and made peace with the fact she'll never be President. She's not running. I'd put money on it.

I don't hate the guy, far from it. He seems like a good person and I'm happy to have him in the party. But... He explicitly defines himself as "strongly fiscally conservative". He doesn't like unions. He doesn't seem to have much of an understanding of how to appeal to people in more rural areas. He is like the epitome of city centered, big business politics. Supporting him seems like a mistake in the current climate. Maybe in four years that will change, but his being pushed this early by people who want him annointed appears to have less to do with him and the good things about him and more to do with the fact that the big money people think he'll do what they want, because he's "one of them", rather than because they think he's the best candidate (or at least it feels like that to me based on where I've seen him being pushed the hardest).

I mean, personally speaking he's great. He is very very close to me on the vast majority of issues, including very important ones. But despite the times I've been put down for a commitment to "ideological purity", I don't think that's true - and in this case, I think aligning too closely with me on issues like not eating meat are actually a bad thing!

I could be convinced. I hope he runs. Based on what I know of his campaigning so far, I don't think he should win, I think it would be bad for the party if he did, but he could change my mind.

I absolutely do not want to see another candidate annointed before the primaries actually kick off, though. If he wants it, let him fight for it and prove he can do it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

Really we should question if any alt right members are people and whether they should be rendered beasts of burden.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

People utterly convinced that this election was not about race need images like this pushed on them 24/7. I want this to be put in future history books to explain just how bad things did become and why a bastard like Trump got elected.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Geostomp posted:

People utterly convinced that this election was not about race need images like this pushed on them 24/7. I want this to be put in future history books to explain just how bad things did become and why a bastard like Trump got elected.

Can you explain why other people think the election was not about race?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Crowsbeak posted:

Really we should question if any alt right members are people and whether they should be rendered beasts of burden.
unironically this

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Geostomp posted:

Well actually it's that Hillary Clinton was a bad candidate.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Nameless_Steve posted:

I don't need to water the flowers before a rainstorm. The Trumpcession/Trumpression will do that job for me.

Yeah you're a dumbass

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Geostomp posted:

This is your first post in this thread, and drat it's one.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

remember that time during the election we spent like 2 weeks hammering Trump about using a star on a meme?

surely if we just keep saying anti-Semitic we'll eventually convince everyone Trump is Hitler!

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
If Trump doesn't turn dictator and rig the elections and we win in 2018–– I.E. we gain a ton of governorships and we don't lose seats in the Senate–– then 2020 will be a cakewalk no matter who we nominate. It could be loving Lieberman and all the progressives will be knocking doors out there in full force.
Trump is the shittiest person to ever be elected President, is already the shittiest President-elect ever, and will be the shittiest President ever. He's skipping intelligence briefings. He's throwing money at any company threatening to outsource. His cabinet is the Legion of Doom.
Even if he does a fantastic job (he absolutely won't), that 4.5% unemployment rate is going to go back up and all Dems have to do is shout "WHERE ARE THE JOBS, DONALD? WHERE'S THE WALL, DONALD? WHY HASN'T MEXICO PAID FOR IT?" and hammer him on all his broken promises and inevitable failures, and we should be all set.

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't hate the guy, far from it. He seems like a good person and I'm happy to have him in the party. But... He explicitly defines himself as "strongly fiscally conservative". He doesn't like unions. He doesn't seem to have much of an understanding of how to appeal to people in more rural areas. He is like the epitome of city centered, big business politics. Supporting him seems like a mistake in the current climate. Maybe in four years that will change, but his being pushed this early by people who want him annointed appears to have less to do with him and the good things about him and more to do with the fact that the big money people think he'll do what they want, because he's "one of them", rather than because they think he's the best candidate (or at least it feels like that to me based on where I've seen him being pushed the hardest).

I mean, personally speaking he's great. He is very very close to me on the vast majority of issues, including very important ones. But despite the times I've been put down for a commitment to "ideological purity", I don't think that's true - and in this case, I think aligning too closely with me on issues like not eating meat are actually a bad thing!

I could be convinced. I hope he runs. Based on what I know of his campaigning so far, I don't think he should win, I think it would be bad for the party if he did, but he could change my mind.

I absolutely do not want to see another candidate annointed before the primaries actually kick off, though. If he wants it, let him fight for it and prove he can do it.

That's good reasoning and I respect it. I don't think anyone should ever be deemed "inevitable" ever again, either.

Maybe I'm tickled by the idea of history repeating itself: an idiotic rich white douchebag makes a huge mess in the White House and then a purple-eyed charismatic young black Democrat spends the next eight years picking up the pieces. Just repeating that trend over and over until the end of time. Cory Booker would be a great candidate if he simply runs as Obama 2008 Redux, because in 2020 this country will be begging for Obama back.

I don't know that I'll vote for him in the primaries. I hope we get a good selection of candidates out there. The also-rans should be more interesting than O'Malley, Chafee, and Webb.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

comingafteryouall posted:

remember that time during the election we spent like 2 weeks hammering Trump about using a star on a meme?

surely if we just keep saying anti-Semitic we'll eventually convince everyone Trump is Hitler!

I mean that meme originated from /pol/ in between various a. wyatt mann depictions of Jews, it was absolutely anti-Semitic.

But probably not worth concentrating on.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Geostomp posted:

No one is saying that. What we are saying is that is wasn't totally about race. There are other factors for this loss and if we don't address them we will lose again.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

comingafteryouall posted:

I thought that was supposed to mean she was a bad sheriff or something

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

I highly doubt they would be able to do any manual labor. Maybe they have a solution we can steal from them.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Before the election I thought that antisemitism was mostly for old farts and wouldn't be making a comeback to compete with the new hotness of Islamophobia and so on. I guess I was wrong.

I learned so much from this election.

Seeing any discussion thread in GBS or Reddit where Jews are mentioned in some context has kept me very aware that antisemitism is out there. My very first online political-discussion community had multiple vocal unironic antisemites. The silver lining is that nobody can tell me I'm making it up anymore.

Geostomp posted:

Data does not back up the "roughly 50% of America is literal Nazis" hypothesis

Like, the literal Nazis are out there, and they love Trump, but they are not demographically significant and cannot win a presidential election by themselves.

Fullhouse posted:

"The mayors of NYC, Chicago, LA, and Silicon Valley should secede from the Union in all but name so they can continue to engage in uninterrupted globalism"

I don't know what "liberal" even means anymore

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

zegermans posted:

But probably not worth concentrating on.

"But [this was] probably not worth concentrating on" is a pretty succinct analysis of the Clinton campaign's messaging strategy, yeah.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Nameless_Steve posted:

If Trump doesn't turn dictator and rig the elections and we win in 2018–– I.E. we gain a ton of governorships and we don't lose seats in the Senate–– then 2020 will be a cakewalk no matter who we nominate. It could be loving Lieberman and all the progressives will be knocking doors out there in full force.

If I break my arm catching a baseball and it heals but my tendons are too tight so I can suddenly throw a fastball 103 mph then winning the World Series will be a cakewalk.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nameless_Steve posted:

Trump is the shittiest person to ever be elected President, is already the shittiest President-elect ever, and will be the shittiest President ever. He's skipping intelligence briefings. He's throwing money at any company threatening to outsource. His cabinet is the Legion of Doom.
Even if he does a fantastic job (he absolutely won't), that 4.5% unemployment rate is going to go back up and all Dems have to do is shout "WHERE ARE THE JOBS, DONALD? WHERE'S THE WALL, DONALD? WHY HASN'T MEXICO PAID FOR IT?" and hammer him on all his broken promises and inevitable failures, and we should be all set.

You vastly overestimate us.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

lmao at people supporting cory "im a conservative" booker itt

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

Data does not back up the "roughly 50% of America is literal Nazis" hypothesis

Like, the literal Nazis are out there, and they love Trump, but they are not demographically significant and cannot win a presidential election by themselves.
vigiliance is still necessary to keep them from accumulating political currency, i mean we have CNN and the like entirely willing to print out hilariously racist and hilariously false talking points as-is until someone tweet-searchlights them to correct it

quote:

I don't know what "liberal" even means anymore
embrace democratic socialism

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Serf posted:

No one is saying that. What we are saying is that is wasn't totally about race. There are other factors for this loss and if we don't address them we will lose again.

Pretty much this. If anything, Trump has shown the Republicans really don't give a poo poo about open racism vs. normal quiet racism, and their turnout is super uniform year to year. It's the Democrats who have the most variance, and uninspiring campaigns couched in lovely moderation won't get Democrats to the polls. You shouldn't ignore race ever, but if all you're selling is hilariously out of touch college loan plans, that everything is going great,and that the other person is racist/sexist, you'll have trouble getting people out to vote who materially aren't doing well.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Nameless_Steve posted:

once again, the democrats are going to define themselves by their opponent, and they're going to lose because the GOP gets to say "well, yeah, we have to undo eight years of OBAMA"

do you have any thoughts on trader joe's, steve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Nameless_Steve posted:

That's good reasoning and I respect it. I don't think anyone should ever be deemed "inevitable" ever again, either.

Maybe I'm tickled by the idea of history repeating itself: an idiotic rich white douchebag makes a huge mess in the White House and then a purple-eyed charismatic young black Democrat spends the next eight years picking up the pieces. Just repeating that trend over and over until the end of time. Cory Booker would be a great candidate if he simply runs as Obama 2008 Redux, because in 2020 this country will be begging for Obama back.

I don't know that I'll vote for him in the primaries. I hope we get a good selection of candidates out there. The also-rans should be more interesting than O'Malley, Chafee, and Webb.

dems dont vote in midterms dummy

• Locked thread