Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

logikv9 posted:

the plan has been expanded to kill the families of everyone who could be a terrorist, thus preventing them from having terrorist ties in the future by ?????
Trump will establish the Department of Pre-Crime. Privacy-free police state dystopia follows, but at least we get those cool computers with the motion interfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Heaven Spacey posted:

There's no need to say "I want to help all struggling black and latina single mothers", blacks and latinas make up a disproportionate amount of that population and everyone that's a struggling single mother deserves help.
You might even say that all lives matter.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Heaven Spacey posted:

BLM is a necessary movement because institutional racism is epidemic in the United States, and not just in criminal justice. There are still plenty of poor-rear end whites, and to imply that they are poor because of their own mistakes or lack of work ethic or weak morals is to promote the same just-world bullshit that makes a movement like BLM important.
I don't think anyone's saying we should ignore white poverty (well, someone probably is, it's the internet after all), but I'm saying it is important to specifically talk about black and Latina (and other demographics) poverty as part of that message. It's a "yes, and" type situation. Just like BLM isn't ignoring that white people can be brutalized and murdered by police too.

The whole idea that economic justice and social justice aren't antithetical and both should be focused on is entirely true, the main problem that I see is that usually when people say that (on these forums, at least) the next sentence is something like "And that's why we should focus on economic justice so it solves social justice." If you actually do want to focus on both, you specifically need to focus on both, rhetorically and in policy. And that means not just saying "let's solve problems for everyone" and hoping that, despite a country's history of evidence to the contrary, this isn't taken to mean "let's solve problems for white people".

(And just for the record, none of this should be taken as a statement on what Sanders or Clinton did or didn't do, I'm speaking generally of the message of the party rather than specific candidates.)

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

GlyphGryph posted:

I agree with this, but also feel there are lots of people, even on these forums, who seem to think we should ignore white poverty... or rather, that we should ignore the needs of white people (because they already have privilege and many of them vote against us) and of poor people (because their poverty clearly indicates they are dumb and uneducated and many of them vote against us) and of rural people (it's their fault they haven't moved to the city yet and many of them vote against us), and white poor rural people end up getting triple ignored, even the ones who are or want to be all for the better society the left is trying to sell. It's not as if "gently caress the south" and similar sentiments of abandoning anyone who doesn't have the privilege of living an a wealthy progressive enclave to their fate are uncommon, nor are those who advocate social justice in a very FYGM manner.

Like, you probably gloss over when they say a lot of the poo poo they say the same way a lot of white people gloss over genuinely lovely racist stuff simply because there's no immediate personal connection and it easily passes out of their mind, but it's everywhere.
For what it's worth, I do think the "gently caress the south" posts and their ilk are really gross and avoid doing them myself, though I could probably do more to speak out about it. As someone who lives in one of those progressive enclaves, seeing those "safe" Rust Belt states flipping has been an eye-opener, and if anything good comes out of this goddamn election it might be getting rid of a certain amount of complacency.

Heaven Spacey posted:

I feel that you and I fundamentally agree on this :shobon: I'm always really careful how I word my views on economic justice precisely because whites traditionally are oppressors and they still make up the majority of the capitalist class today. Ever since I actually started thinking about politics, demography, and sociology, though, it has always been my view that a poor white has more in common with a poor black than with a rich white.

I also find that I usually have much more difficult, bitter arguments with people I basically agree with.
It's cool, sorry if my initial response was a bit of a shitpost.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I just realized that Into the Wild and Wild are different things, and was thinking that all these summaries sounded really dark for a Reese Witherspoon movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

steinrokkan posted:

He's a good man, and a family man.

He doesn't even drink
He's bringing drugs. He's bringing crime. He's a rapist.

And some of him, I assume, is a good person. not really

• Locked thread