Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

I just realized that Bernie and Warren are the leaders of the party now.

E: And bernie more so than warren I would expect.

What about Obama??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

list of democrats i would have voted for as someone who registered democrat for this election (i did vote in the primaries):
bernie sanders
joe biden
kanye west???

list of democrats i would not vote for:
hillary clinton

great work! you did it! victory!

quote:

also note

some working class americans do still vote democrat and support unions and believe in the democratic message
see - the kentucky district i live in is one of very few that went blue this election and voted in a young un-tested dem over a incumbent republican because she:
1 - personally knocked on like 15,000 doors
2 - got support from the right local and national people
3 - had a very clear list of policies and positions that anyone could understand

she won by 200 votes but she did win

this is actually cool though, any idea on the dem's name?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yinlock posted:

E: and i'm not arguing that sanders supporters won things for trump either, just that it's a bit odd to be placing 100% of the blame solely on hillary

it's....... really, really not odd to place the blame for losing on the candidate that lost.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Panzeh posted:

You can find some nice hot takes in d&d about how it's not a presidential candidate's job to convince you to vote for them.

YOU'RE just supposed to be WITH ME! it's not my job to campaign and win!! (it is precisely your job & you let us all down & now we're all crying and screaming & possibly dying soon)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Obama and his crowd do not give a gently caress about anything any more dude. Hes giving the keys to a dude who called him a fuckin kenya muslim lol

i feel like theres more to obama than that, but maybe i'm just still full of hope & change...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I hate our dumb weak liberalism.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

resar posted:

turns out telling poor people they are privileged and therefor can get hosed pisses them off.

This should be branded permanently on every neoliberal hack involved in the 2016 campaign.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

considering that two straight white Christian men were just elected in recommending the Democrats find some of those are their candidates

Stupid. Obama won 2008 and 2012. The Democrats need someone who can fight and campaign and win first and foremost, be they black, white, latino, whatever. Hillary could not and did not fight.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Reminder that an overbroad campaign strategy was like reason #2 Clinton lost.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MJ12 posted:

Dean's 50 state strategy was basically building up democrats in conservative areas ("Blue Dogs") and having a bottom-up organization rather than a top-down strategy like Clinton's.

Even after it went by the wayside for whatever the gently caress happened post-08 it got us dividends in Virginia. I mean don't make him chair by all means but the guy seems to have a pretty good head for campaign strategy.

I don't have a particular opinion on Dean as chair but I'm not sure if committing resources to Oklahoma and Kentucky is going to pay dividends in the short, mid, or even long term.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The only reason I don't immediately reject Dean is that I'm terrified of the prospect of an even emptier suit getting the job. DWS syndrome.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zikan posted:

don't be afraid. the dnc got us into this message. they completely failed the country. the blood of this horrific administration is on their hands as well.

be angry. sharpen your anger into a knife and use it to cut off this gangrenous ideology.

you're right of course.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Let's blame the electorate, that tends to improve results right?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cyron posted:

one of the threads in C-spam is already scaring me, people are talking about buying guns and saying trump will commit genocide. someone is also going insane. i think the dems are already preparing for their grave.

Guns and gun control are both awesome. Gonna pick up some legal, California-certified firearms myself.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zikan posted:

see, funny thing about this is that it's a vote of the dnc committee which does include schumer but doesn't include all elected democratic representative. it's this weird combination of like 12 groups

i'm making a spread sheet because there no way the average person will find and and by god is it going slowly

Thanks for this, we appreciate your effort.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HannibalBarca posted:

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/796914768854519808

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK

eh, i think this sort of thing is inevitable. youre never going to have perfect information

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

quote:

This, this right here, stop loving doing that.

Indeed. It's crazy to think about, but some people let themselves be convinced of awful bullshit despite not being pathologically evil.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Holy poo poo I can't get enough of this line.

who would have thought ol' bill was the one with some real sense?

actually, in retrospect, we all should have thought that. he was an experienced Democrat who won a governorship in Arkansas and beat an incumbent Republican president (albeit an unpopular one)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

gently caress ACA, gently caress public option, gently caress mandates, gently caress subsidies. That poo poo is completely bust. Full single payer is what we should go after, if the GOP mercifully kills ACA.

agreed, but also, millions of people will lose insurance and thousands will probably die unnecessarily in the interim period following the repeal of the ACA and our ultimate, shining success

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RACHET posted:

Sounds like COMMUNISM to me, you might want to think rethink how the country bumpkins think about COMMUNISM

they like it as long as it benefits them directly and you label it literally anything else tbh

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

If she gets the dems +1 seat in congress it will actually be useful. I won't complain until she starts trying to ruin other peoples time.

i mean if they just put her in a plum, safe seat (of course they would) it's not a +1, it's just a legacy handout to an untalented candidate that could have gone to someone with potential

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

i mean if they just put her in a plum, safe seat (of course they would) it's not a +1, it's just a legacy handout to an untalented candidate that could have gone to someone with potential

and that doesnt even begin to consider the only sure thing she actually brings to congress: banking handouts

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

This thread is 100x worse than trump winning because it's just an excuse for people to hand wave poo poo away instead of learning why HRC lost loving MI, PA, IA, OH, and WI all in the same god drat election.

You should just rename this poo poo to "Dem Autopsy: Tell me things that reaffirm my beliefs" because that's literally all that's ever going to be embraced here.

what do you think people are handwaving here?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
lol even colbert condemned hillary for immediately rolling over and saying give trump a chance, holy poo poo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

Why, because she said a mildly polite thing about Dean and put out a statement saying she was willing to work with Trump if he wanted to achieve progressive goals (spoiler alert: this will not happen)?

I mean, geez, the neo-libs won't even need to make an effort to keep their hold on the party at the rate you guys are kneecapping yourselves.

Yep, people need to chill. Warren is still an elected politician who needs to maintain connections in her party, she can't just start screaming at the top of her lungs when people talk about Dean.

That's OUR job now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Dude factory work is not kind to your body. It's not degrading to say we shouldn't be forcing people to ruin their health. There are plenty of ways we can help them that aren't trying to turn back the clock to pre-automation times. Part of the anger they feel comes from the fact that they know they are eating poo poo compared to how others are living and it pisses them off hence kamikaze president.

Spoken like someone who has literally never once spoken to a factory worker.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

So how long did it take for you guys to replace "we need to do something, we need to come together, we need to fight this monster any way we can" with "gently caress YOU dad! I refuse to ever be associated with the only possible party with the infrastructure that could possibly oppose Trump!". Should we just tell LGBT voters and minorities to give up all hope, there will be no calvary because the silver in the armor wasn't pure enough?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

it's you, you're the one melting down

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Or, and this is going to sound insane, someone who's worked in a factory. Apparently to Venom Snake, that's akin to petting a unicorn. Something that literally cannot be imagined.

it's part of the neolib message: "those jobs are gone and never coming back, learn something new"

how does that play with actual factory workers? warehouse workers? truckers? do 40 y/o men and women want to hear about how theyre toast and should either learn a new vocation or die out? it's a downright LIBERTARIAN message

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

yeah we already saw that one, lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cubey posted:

yeah maybe, i'm just so frustrated with the dems right now it's prolly clouding my judgement.

it's cool man, we're all working through a lot of frustration right now

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

I'm 20 years old and I'm trying to get people who have spent their entire lives getting reamed to give us one more chance. It's heart breaking man.

I think your heart is in the right place and honestly the fact that you're only 20 puts into context a lot of the faith you had in Clinton (I mean that in the best way).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Iv loved politics since I was little. I grew up in the Capital adoring the cosmopolitan atmosphere. I'm a world apart from so many places in America which is why I'm praying the new leadership has some perspective and listens to people. My biggest worry is that they don't care anymore and are not going to actually believe we want them with us. Hell leading us even lol.

One of my favorite politicians grew up on a dirt farm in rural Texas. Another was from one of America's most powerful and wealthy families. It might make me an optimistic faux-leftists but Id like to think that Democratic Party can represent everyone's interests and that people can listen to each other. I believed in Clinton because I'm a dirty party establishment guy who just wants to run the government like it's actually meant to help people and that she would probably do that. Now me, my family, and the people who haven't fled the sinking ship yet are willing to back the progressive caucus for the same reason.

The future is unknown. It could well be that the Democratic Party is the institution that restores an American working class--it certainly has the best infrastructure in place to make it happen. We are the generation that will have to actually vote and staff and hell run in these races, it's on us.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Plenty of people have a thirty hour workweek already. And a twenty hour workweek at their other job.

Neither job has benefits, vacation time, or a set schedule.

And they're forced to buy healthcare at an exchange and they pay out of pocket for the first $2000 in medical expenses.

Uh, excuse me, I think you mean a 29 hour workweek *whips out PPACA measuring stick*

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

zen death robot posted:

lol none of this can happen while the GOP controls nearly 2/3rds of all the state govts and right to work finishes off what's left of unions

Rip

speaking of which, ive been talking to some well-situated union-side labor attorneys (aka my colleagues) and the expectation is an amended NLRA and national right-to-work within 2 years

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

While Dems have been very negligent. I do think that they do earnestly oppose right to work and are going to be very dependent on Unions moving forward.

the culinary unions in nevada quite literally proved that this cycle. strong unions can still deliver dem victories. nevada was a strong state for trump in many ways (very low education, huge primary state for him), and he was beaten soundly there, and dems even picked up house seats

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

zen death robot posted:

Guess what lead mining ain't coming back either. No one wants that poo poo anymore.

give it time mate, remember we could have trump for the next 8 years

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Harlock posted:

I really feel even if Democrats/the left/whoever fails in opposition he will be primaried by his own 'party'

lol well my response to that:

-Democrats: in disarray, will probably revert to old habits, still in grasp of clinton coterie by any reasonable measure even if shes done and gone forever. still probably most likely option of the three
-the left: i want to believe but there are like 5 of us, it will take more than 4 years to ramp up into something that could challenge the dems assuming that movement happens outside the party
-primaried by own party: if trump gets GOP laws passed and doesnt completely poo poo the bed theyll be happy enough to stick with him. and frankly, i expect him to mostly stay out of the way and let them do what they want other than in the like 3 arenas he expresses even the slightest interest

if the economy doesnt collapse in the next four years (dodd-frank will be gone, so it will collapse eventually, but it could take some time!) then we could easily have 8 years of trump. we've already fatally underestimated him repeatedly at this point

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Radbot posted:

AHAHAHHA this is classic. "Yeah, I may have prevented the only guy who would genuinely try to make America a better place for normal people getting into office, but it's really a bad look on you when you get made at me about it"

Let's not turn this into an inquisition ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Radbot posted:

said the Clinton supporter.

I mean your candidate's failure is probably going to kill millions and result in a proto-fascist America, but hey, I wouldn't want to be mean because you failed.

I voted for Sanders in the primary and PSL in the GE (CA) you incredible moron.

• Locked thread