Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

I live in Williamson County, TX, which is typically pretty red but surprisingly this year went a little blue and elected a Dem to County Commissioner Precinct 1, though tbh I have no idea what a County Commissioner actually does, so... yeah. I've been trying to figure out how to connect with my local Democrat offices, and insofar have found nothing on their websites on meetings being had this week. Any fellow Austinites have an idea of what I could be doing right now?

Also in terms of "what can I do in Austin/Round Rock?", what organizations can I look into for donating my time and money? Which of the many Dem groups in the area are the ones I should actually be paying attention to? I've only been marginally politically aware for the last couple years (I only just got my citizenship in October '14), so I really have no clue what I can be doing to help out.

surfacelevelspeck has issued a correction as of 17:43 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

LegionAreI posted:

I'm happy to go to mine but the next meeting apparently isn't until January for some ridiculous reason

Looks like I missed the bus on my local parties as well. WilCo Democrats held their monthly meeting on the 10th, and the Texas Democratic Party holds their meetings...sometime? I think I remember it being the first Thursday of the month, but it's impossible to find anything on their website.

I'm kind of surprised nobody is scheduling any party meetings or anything, considering the complete shellacking we just received and all the poo poo going on in the party at large right now.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Further update on lovely Texas Democrats: After scouring their website, I still have no idea when their next meeting is (presumably some time next year), but I did find this

Texas Democrats' lovely Website posted:

Texas Needs You
Signup to volunteer with Democratic campaigns across Texas. Help stage a ballot box takeover in 2014 and elect the leadership Texas deserves.
Holy poo poo. Twenty-loving-fourteen?!

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Central Texas Goons:

It looks like the Travis/Williamson County-based parties are finally coming out of their post-election stupor. Some of them are waiting an excruciatingly long time, but at least something is being done now. Here's what's coming up in the area:

WilCo Democrats: http://www.wilcodemocrats.org/news/1071/The-General-Election-is-over-What-to-do-now
They're hosting their monthly meeting on Thursday, December 8th from 6:00-8:30PM in Round Rock. That's nearly 3 weeks from today. This may be the soonest opportunity to get our voices heard to the members and committee. They're also hosting a party on the 15th.
WilCo Young Democrats: http://www.wilcodemocrats.org/calendar/9/48-Wilco%20Young%20Dems
Their monthly meeting is on December 1st, off of 183 in north Austin. It's a full week sooner than the WilCo Dems, so a chance to get there.

Travis County assorted parties: http://www.traviscountydemocrats.org/calendar/
This Calendar is actually, shockingly, useful. I'm not that surprised, since Austin is a blue city and pretty politically active. Black Austin Democrats just met, and there's meetings coming up in the next few weeks. The soonest meeting (aside from Black Austin Democrats, which was 2 days ago) is NxNW Democrats in 2 days, at Big Daddy's Burgers and Bar at 183 & Burnet.

Unfortunately, still drat near impossible to find anything regarding Texas Democrats or Texas Young Democrats. I know both exist and are active to some extent, but I'll be hosed if I can find their meetings. So for the time being, it's important that if you want to make your voice heard you go to any of these upcoming meetings you can.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

bump_fn posted:

if you have any info about dallas/ft worth please pass it on i have family there

Sure. I'm not sure what counties they live in, but here's what I can find for this month (or early next month if need be), by County.

Collin County: http://http://www.collindemocrats.org/
All their county meetings take place at their office: CCDP Office, 1915 N Central Expy #150, Plano, TX 75075, USA
Sun Nov 20 3:00 PM - "What Can We Do?"
Tue Nov 22 7:00PM - Leadership Meeting
Mon Nov 28 6:30PM - "What You Can Do"
Tue Nov 29 7:15 - Current Economic Climate Meeting
They also have a meeting every single Friday called "Drinking Liberally" that changes location, and starts at 6:30 PM

Dallas County: http://www.dallasdemocrats.org/get-involved/calendar
Tue Nov 22 6:30PM - Dallas County Texas Democratic Women
Wed Nov 23 7:00PM: - Dallas Coutny East Democrats
Thu Nov 24 6:45 - North Dallas Texas Democratic Women
Sat Nov 26 8:00AM - Dallas County East Democrats Coffee Social
Sat Nov 26 9:00AM - Garland Area Democratic Club Saturday Morning Coffee
Sat Nov 26 3:00PM - Rowlett Democratic Club
They also do "Drinking Liberally", though it's sporadic and different groups.

Denton County: http://www.dentondemocrats.org/
Every monday they do a "Progressive Leaders Toastmasters" meeting to teach people communication and how to do public speaking, in an effort to spread political awareness. Looks like Denton County barley does meetings, but there are subgroups that might? Check their "Clubs & Organizations" page and go from there.

Kaufman County: http://www.kcdemocrats.org/calendar
Sat, Dec 10: Monthly Meeting. They had theirs last weekend, so the next isn't for 3 more weeks.

Rockwall County: http://rockwalldems.com/?post_type=tribe_events
No upcoming events. Their monthly meeting was this morning.

Tarrant County: http://www.calendarwiz.com/calendars/calendar.php?crd=TarrantDemocrats&&jsenabled=1&winh=1080&winw=1920&inifr=false
Their offices moved and a bunch of their meetings are being cancelled. I guess since Ft Worth is pretty red still they're demoralized. There are still three events on the horizon though:
Sun Nov 20 2:30PM - 360 Corridor Democratic Action! @ Spring Creek Barbeque
Thu Nov 24 7:00PM - Mid-Cities Democrats Meeting @ Los Jimadores Tex-Mex
Mon Nov 28 7:00PM - Southwest Democrats @ Olive Garden

If any of these are close to your family, let them know. I didn't go in-depth on addresses, but you should be able to find that info on the calendars.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

So I don't know what's going on in the posts above me because reading anything more than a post every couple pages is anathema, so instead I'm going to post about Texas democrat meetings.

I went to the NxNW Democrats meeting in Austin, TX last week, and it was... enlightening. The average age was probably late 40s, with the youngest three people being 28 & 30. Most of them seemed to want to bandy about "Trump won because of racism!". That being said, there was a significant number of new people (half the room had never attended, myself included), and it was nice to see that most of us were the ones to talk instead of the longstanding members. I spoke but was too nervous to say everything I wanted to - I feel like I got at least some of the point across, but hopefully I'll do better in the other meetings I go to. The head of the organization told me after the meeting it was brave of me to stand up and be contrarian so that made me feel pretty good. I also was given a couple business cards to keep in contact and help with volunteering by some of the government workers that showed up to the meeting. I don't think I'm gonna take them up on that yet, but definitely will after the holiday season is over.

With that being said, however...
:siren: WILLIAMSON COUNTY GOONS :siren:
I have no idea how many goons reading this thread live in or near Williamson County, TX, but if you do or know someone who does, there are several meetings happening in the next 7 days.

Williamson County Young Democrats are meeting Tonight, December 1 @ 6:30PM, located at Third Base, 13301 US-183, Bldg E, Austin, TX 78750. That's just south of the corner of 620 & 183. This is an opportunity to actually be at a meeting where the average age is less than the final score of a football game.

Western Williamson County Democrats are meeting on Wednesday, December 7 @ 6:30PM, located at Los Reyes Mexican Restaurant, 13776 U.S. Hwy 183 N, Austin, TX 78750.

Williamson County Democratic Party is meeting on Thursday, December 8 @ 6:45PM, located at Allen R Baca Center, 301 Bagdad, Building 2, Round Rock, TX 78664. That's a week from today. This is the really important meeting for Williamson County, it's where they talk about donations, candidacies, etc. and the party leaders for the county (and some from the state) will be there. If you can be there, go to this meeting!

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Drive-by posting again to remind anyone that might be in my area:

:siren: WILLIAMSON COUNTY TEXAS GOONS :siren: however many there actually are

There is a meeting Tonight, December 1 @ 6:30 PM located at Third Base, 13301 US-183, Bldg E, Austin, TX 78750. This is an opportunity to meet with democrats and progressives, and make your opinion heard. Don't miss out because it's a Thursday or it's too much time or out of the way, if you actually want to start making a change for the better in Texas be there. I'm heading over in about an hour myself, and it'd be interesting and/or incredibly awkward to see fellow neckbeard goons. Plus you'll get to see me trip over my words while I try to make a point, so bonus!

Travis County goons, come join us too. I went to one of your organization meetings and I think they could probably do with a little perspective of who lives in the counties that aren't under Democrat leadership.

Don't forget, too, that there are two more meetings coming up in the next week for Williamson County. I'll start looking at when the Travis County meetings are tonight as well, but for now I'm finishing up my work and heading out.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Williamson County Young Democrats Trip Report

It was an interesting meeting. Very small numbers, apparently only 24 registered members, and including new people the meeting there was about a dozen or so people. Was actually less a meeting and more a get-together, there was nothing formal to be done so we just chatted. I felt like I was one of the most left-leaning people there but I'd say the group was significantly more progressive and open to outside opinions than the NxNW dems were. I talked with a few people at length about various subjects, and met Jimmy Flannigan, who just got elected to City Council District 6 for the city of Austin. He was a really interesting person to talk to - ran his campaign very similar to Bernie's, and swears like a sailor when he gets going. Gotta say, overall, I liked this group. There was enough diversity of opinion that I didn't feel like I was gonna get into an echo chamber (I disagreed a lot with the people I talked to, but not on fundamental things), and it made me feel a lot more hopeful about the future of democrats in my area at least. Apparently, when talking to the people there, this came about because of events that happened about a decade ago - a Republican managed to become the county head and effectively destroyed the party from the top down, and they've spent the last 10 years rebuilding.

Also, apparently I... may have offered myself up for office? Think I might've went too far too fast here.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

TIme for a 3:00 AM yelling into the infinite void of a terrible thread in C-SPAM! Since I'm located in the Austin area, I'm again only focusing on Travis and WIlliamson Counties.

ATTENTION CENTRAL TEXAS GOONS - here's your weekly "go do some poo poo instead of whining on an internet forum" post

:siren:TRAVIS COUNTY GOONS:siren: These are the groups meeting for the upcoming week:
Tue, Dec 6 @ 5:30PM Capital Area Progressive Democrats are meeting at the AFL-CIO office at 1106 Lavaca St #200, Austin TX
Wed, Dec 7 @ 6:00PM Travis County Democratic Party is having their County Executive Committee at 1500 E 4th Street, Austin TX - If you have any interest in becoming part of the party, go to this meeting! This meeting is when appointees to empty precinct chairs will be made and sworn in.
Wed, Dec 7 @ 6:45PM West Austin Democrats are meeting at Howson Branch Library on 2500 Exposition Blvd, Austin TX
Thu, Dec 8 @ 6:00PM Black Austin Democrats are meeting at Precinct 1 Constable Building, 4717 Heflin Lane, Austin TX
Sat, Dec 10 @ 11:00 AM Northeast Travis County Democrats are meeting at Tres Amigos Restaurant & Cantina, 7535 US 290 Frontage Rd, Austin TX

:siren:WILLIAMSON COUNTY GOONS:siren: These are the meetings for the upcoming two weeks (doing 2 weeks because there's only a few parties in WilCo)
Wed, Dec 7 @ 6:30PM Western Wilco Democrats are meeting at Los Reyes Mexican Restaurant, 13776 US Hwy 183 N, Austin TX
Thu, Dec 8 @ 6:45PM Williamson County Democratic Party are meeting at the Allen R Baca Center, 301 Bagdad, Building 2, Round Rock TX. If you have an interest in having your voice heard, or seeing what the party's plans are going forward, be at this meeting!
Thu, Dec 15 @ 6:30PM WCDP is having a holiday party at Georgetown Community Center, 445 E Morrow St, Georgetown TX. This is... less important, really, but if you wanna get drunk and talk to people its' a good a place as any. You can buy a ticket here for $25.

:siren:THIS poo poo APPLIES TO EITHER COUNTY:siren:
In both Williamson and Travis Counties, there are runoff elections for democratic candidates. If you have nothing better to do (and let's face it, you have nothing better to do), early voting is going on right now and the candidates could use your vote. This is the first and only time I'll mention this.
Also, Councilman-elect Jimmy Flannigan is hosting a "What's Next?" meeting, both on Tuesday, December 6 @ 6:30PM at 10501 Hard Rock Rd, Austin TX and on Sunday, December 11 @ 3:00PM at 11009 Andenwood Dr, Austin TX. This meeting is designed to be a discussion forum on the elections, the implications of it, and what you can do to get involved. I met Jimmy at the Wilco Young Dems meeting, and he was a really cool dude with a very Bernie/Keith-like set of ideals and methodologies - I think these meetings will be a very good opportunity to learn stuff and get more involved.

EDIT: missed a Travis party.

surfacelevelspeck has issued a correction as of 10:05 on Dec 5, 2016

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Posted my huge-rear end :effort: post from this morning with some additional information. Are you going to update the glyphgryph.com website any time soon, btw? It doesn't look like it's changed since the 17th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

loquacius posted:

Which stereotype is the third guy back, I zoomed all the way in and I still can't make it out

I wanna say "Austrian" but the text doesn't look like that at all

all I can make out is "*RE**H" so I'm guessing "French"

• Locked thread