Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

if misogyny is your primary takeaway for why clinton has lost you are not loving paying attention

some of the criticisms of clinton are actually quite legitimate! stop plugging your ears and screaming la la la whenever someone criticizes your abuela. there's a reason why people loving hate her guts and it's not because she's a woman.

P much this. My ultra-conservative younger brother (at least compared to me; I've loved Bernie since before he ran) posted this after her concession speech:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Goatman Sacks posted:

It's going to be funny in 8 to 12 years when the north is the pro-racist section of the country and the south isn't.

It's "funny" now. I live in Minneapolis and I still see pickup trucks (invariably with Minnesota or Wisconsin plates) with the confederate flag as a vinyl decal over their rear window. Sometimes it's half American-half Confederate with a bald eagle in the center.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Fiction posted:

see dumbass posts like this when millennials are struggling more during this economy than any other generation and a ton of them went for bernie is why nothing's going to change in 2018 and very well might not in 2020 or 2024

It's not a dumbass post and he's 100% correct.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
"Incrementalism is dead."

For the past year or so I've been sharing articles on Facebook and pairing this phrase with them as I thought it applied. My family and my circle of friends are lower middle class whites from Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. (I've also got some Europeans on there from studying abroad.) Of that circle of friends/family, probably half were gonna vote R no matter what. The other half were absolutely galvanized by Bernie, myself included.

Oct. 1:

quote:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/298812-clinton-criticizes-sanders-fans-in-leaked-audio
HRC, I'm actually surprised at how level-headed your criticism comes off.

But I respectfully disagree. Incrementalism is dead.

Sept. 15:

quote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/marcia-ranglin-vassell-ousts-majority-leader-squeaker_us_57d98678e4b0fbd4b7bcd122
"The progressive victories against more conservative Democratic incumbents represent the kind of local, incremental gain many activists believe exemplifies the less romantic work needed to achieve the “political revolution” Sanders called for during his campaign.

“Voters are clearly hungry for bold progressive policy,” Georgia Hollister Isman, the Working Families Party’s Rhode Island state director, said in a statement. “These victories send a clear message to the legislature — it is time for some big changes.” "
I say again: incrementalism is dead.

Aug. 4:

July 27:

"Incrementalism is dead" as a phrase seems to drop off here but I can see the theme obviously crystallizing as I scroll backward in time on my Facebook wall.

July 25:

quote:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/obamas-attempt-to-redeem-america/492710/
"It is simply not intellectually creditable anymore to ignore distributive questions."

June 10:

May 2:

quote:

http://www.npr.org/2016/05/02/476202372/taking-it-to-the-limit-cruz-sanders-or-kasich-might-still-revive-convention-wars
Very telling that Hubert Humphrey's civil rights plank speech in 1948 is not present in this article. The Minnesotan famously said, "To those who say that this civil rights program is an infringement on states’ rights, I say this: The time has arrived in America for the Democratic Party to get out of the shadow of states' rights and to walk forthrightly into the bright sunshine of human rights." In response, the Mississippi and Alabama delegates walked out of the convention and formed their own party for president, the Dixiecrats. Truman still won thanks to high minority voter turnout in the northern states. Historians have argued that Hubert Humphrey did more to get Harry S Truman elected that year than Truman did himself.

Heck if I know why, but NPR is firmly and unabashedly in the Clinton camp.

March 16:

quote:

http://louderwithcrowder.com/dear-men-who-vote-bernie-sanders-youre-wimpy-and-gross/
This is anti-intellectualism defined. This is well-crafted argument from someone out of a mafia movie. This is, as Tom Hanks said in reply to the question "what is your favorite curse word" on the TV program Inside The Actors' Studio, horse poo poo.
This one spawned a long chain of comments with my friends (both die-hard Rs and Bernie supporters) basically agreeing with me. My ex-girlfriend even commented "Maybe she's trying to become the female Matt Walsh?" lol

March 4:

quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/minnesota?smid=fb-share
We did our part! More Minnesota votes went to Bernie Sanders than went to all the Republican candidates *combined*

March 2:

quote:

Surely Sen. Elizabeth Warren will be rewarded by the Democratic establishment for staying on the sidelines and not endorsing Bernie.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/debbie-wasserman-schultz-paylenders-cfpb_us_56d4ce38e4b03260bf77e8fc

oh...

Bonus articles!
Sept. 30:

quote:

http://thebaffler.com/blog/hrc-should-be-more-like-malkmus
"...he was blessed with enough talent and discipline to make everything look easy, which turned him into an icon for twenty-somethings who assumed the internet bubble would last forever and that they could always get a real job next week if their band somehow didn’t manage to get signed to Sub Pop or Matador."

Lmao

July 20 (reminder this is our vice president-elect):

fake edit: Previewing this post and looking at the most recent posts, idk who this mirthless guy is, but he's wrong about "Berniebros" voting for Trump. I ended up voting HRC and so did most of my Bernie friends. I doubt any of my R friends even voted; they were very much Charlie Sykes-style conservatives.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Zythrst posted:

MSNBC isn't left all though. I mean some of the anchors want to be, but the bosses clearly aren't.

Case in point: Ed Schultz getting canned

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
If this hasn't been posted 1,500 times yet, please allow me to help contribute:

Hmm those trees kind of remind me of Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Michigan during the late fall. :)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
With those credentials, probably would've beat Trump

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Just saw the thread title change and boy do I have something to say about Wisconsin supper clubs.

Elias Inn sucks now but it didn't 10 years ago. Oh well.
Silvercrest is the best. Great pizza too.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Al! posted:

the children of the rich are definitely the future of the democratic party, cuz they're the only ones with enough time and money on their hands to get involved at that level

Hi everyone this is the correct answer

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Zikan posted:

during the campaign he was warning about the rust belt and the working class voters that gave him two terms being lost to trump and the rest of the campaign brushed him off and called him an out of touch old man

l
o
l

This is like the millionth time I've read this in this thread. Where's the citation?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

No I meant Bill Clinton saying "don't forget the rust belt"

E: never mind someone else answered next page

Embarrassing. Maybe the DNC needs an "upper-midwesterner-at-large" spot.

Jedi Knight Luigi has issued a correction as of 02:43 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

loquacius posted:

If Ellison gets crowded out by The Establishment I guess I'll finally give up on hope that anything will ever improve

Maybe I'm just bummed-out today

He will be, and when he loses I'm un-bookmarking this thread.

Why yes I am a privileged white male.

• Locked thread