Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Well they're party platforms now at least. So those positions don't slip into the void. They're not hard fast rules but it being in writing will help combat the idea that the path going forward is to centrist even harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah I don't see how gop doesn't enact the final burning of all bridges in four years. Poor whites are not going to get anything and I don't see how they can blame anyone else. But I'm sure they'll find a way :(

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Shark Sandwich posted:

Gotta say I was not expecting Schumer to back Keith

Who and what

Sorry if this was explained just a few pages ago before I showed up

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

... Yes? She mentioned those issues constantly on the stump, and those were easily the issues she was the most passionate and consistent about.

There are many good reasons why Hillary lost, but "not being passionate enough about womens' and childrens' issues" isn't one of them.

Yeah it didn't help that Clinton talking about policy isn't sexy and the media reported really only on her talking about Trump because Trump is ratings.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Fiction posted:

I'm just hoping the centrists who insist that Hillary did not fail and was failed just take their ball and go home completely.

I think we all failed each other

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Companies have tried to build factories in those areas but backed out because no one was educated enough to do the jobs.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Harry Reid can gently caress off.

Nobody bought the Trump is a russian plant thing Harry. You can stop talking about Vlad.

Vlad can like the result without orchestrating it dude. Trump's Russia friendly stance is obviously good for Vlad. That can be accepted without proposing a conspiracy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

loving really? Government run plants to build solar panels and windmills, or government run research labs and local clinics are gonna be asbestos filled hellholes? That's your loving retort to the federal government giving shat on poor people jobs?

These people don't want a slightly larger check to spend at Walmart #7918. They want a job they feel proud of, and they want to spend their paychecks at local businesses. Liberals have a giant list of things they want done from climate change action to research to improved healthcare. So why the gently caress shouldn't we slap a giant government facility into every one of these desperate counties to make massive amounts of jobs and do some loving good for mankind at the same time?

Some/most rural communities view of government job as a hand out as much as a check just straight to their mail. The government sticking a whatever in the area just so people can have good jobs isn't going to be jobs people are proud of.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Zoran posted:

I don't think we need to spend time discussing rigging or chair-throwing or whatever, but the case that Bernie was a better candidate absolutely does need to be litigated.

Unless Bernie runs in 2020 I don't give a hot gay gently caress of how good/better he is at running a campaign.

I told you so is not loving helpful. All that matters is turning this into something that the party can rubber band back to big gains in 18 and 20 to undo the damage.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

The country of Italy during WW2

Italy is the worst at world wars

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

resar posted:

I dunno germany's 0/2

Yeah but they get an A for effort

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

We need reform in the media as much as the DNC.

The media has plenty to answer for even outside of that context. If the ghoulish Lynch reporters poo poo continues maybe even the lovely producers will realize there's things more important than ratings.
Honestly 24 hour networks should just die. It's unsustainable and the result is an insult to journalism.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I still got "the sun will rise tomorrow" from Obama stuck in my head. Ive honestly been energized by this. I cant wait for things to get better. Ive even started looking for a better job again.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I only knew zoux as a twitter aggregator. Which he was good at.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Holy poo poo I just realized how bad voter suppression is going to get

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Same except not really, but do something to spook them

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Zikan posted:

cool Keith Ellison, the future DNC chair, fact

https://twitter.com/ckilpatrick/status/797072477453172736

That's bad right

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

Again, fair point but your last line is exactly why it rings hollow to me. A lot of what he's concerned about were things Hillary would have also done, and in my estimation she would have done them on steroids.

Trumps cabinet is looking to be top donors. He's everything we dont like about Hillary on steroids.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

My point isn't that Trump will be better, it's that I expected more self-reflection out of Bernie. I think Trump is kinda lovely.

e- upon further self-reflection on my own part, he's looking forward and I can appreciate that

Trump isn't "kind of" lovely. Yeah interventionism is bad and never works out, Trump wants wars of conquest and plunder also to bring back state sanctioned war crimes.
To even imply the two are comparable is too much for me. Maybe I'm still too light on Hillary, but Jesus Christ Trump is a comic book villain. Hillary is boring real world evil.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I was thinking before I hope this time the gop can't blame the dems for loving over their base when nothing gets better. But gently caress it. I want the dems to go full scorched earth back. They declared war a long time ago it's time to actually fight it. Quote Cruz about 8 justice court has precedent until you pass out. Investigate voter suppression, ballot destruction, whatever for the election. Give Trump the full BENGHAZI circus

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

1) They will blame the dems regardless, and even if they didn't, 2) they'd blame whichever minorities are that moment's most convenient scapegoat.

I shod have stuck "convincingly" in there, but yeah I'm not optimistic about anything piercing the cognitive dissonance

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Peel posted:

they could have abolished the filibuster afaik but i understand why they were hesitant to do so. mistake in hindsight though

They didn't so they would have it when they were the minority. Like now. The filibuster has persevered because no party wants to be the one behind the 8ball they set up down the road.
Of course current gop as it is, I expect them to.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Thoguh posted:

I mean, that basically is the premise behind a certain brand of feminism that Hillary represented. Not dismantling the old boys club, just making sure it is diverse and women also can stomp people under their bootheals.

Part of why she was such a bogeyman for the old boys. They wouldn't be having fun at all when it was turned into an old girls club

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah, I just went back and read up on her 2008 campaign and it seems like it was plagued by all of the same issues and she didn't seem to learn anything from those mistakes this time around. 2008 was a long time ago and I was really young, my memory was that Obama was just such a great candidate that his popularity overwhelmed Hillary. Reading the story again now it seems like she still probably would have beat Obama had her campaign not been an utter disaster.

I thought she learned her lesson because in the primary it seemed like the Bernie campaign was doing the Clinton 2008 greatest hits, but here we are.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I've heard good things about Kander. I was waiting a bit since some people floated doubts about the first guy before I sounded the horn to everyone i know to call our congressman

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

iirc folks said this was due to old dems who didn't change party just wanting to gently caress with hillary

Exit polls had Bernie voters supporting Trump over Bernie in the general

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Bill Maher is a bigoted piece of poo poo and I hope somebody slugs him on his show

I remember when Seth Rogen was on and he was talking about how comedy has changed, like the part in revenge of the nerds where he tricks the girl into sleeping with him is hosed up. He was there to promote his movie with a bunch of rape jokes.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

theres a will theres moe posted:

It's definitely not all religion's fault

poo poo heads hide behind any idea structure. Piety I'd just a classic.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Cubey posted:

he is powering up for a 2020 run.

when he wins, i just want his victory speech to be 'I TOLD YOU FUCKERS' *mic drop*

Dude probably doesn't have 8 years in him with the stresses that would cause.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Cubey posted:

he doesn't need 8 years my man. run in 2020 with a young progressive like gabbard as vp in case he eats it during office, if he makes it the whole term he retires after one term and hands the reigns to someone like him but younger.

trump will be 75 in 2020 and already looks more unhealthy than sanders now so i don't even think the age thing would matter in the eyes of voters.

It's more is he up to run himself ragged, not would it worry voters. He's already doing the elder statesman thing and kingmaking
But what do I know. They say presidential ambition is only cured by death

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

nachos posted:

How could the democrats have threaded the needle with "Obama did a good job" and "poo poo is hosed up and we need change" in an elegant way?

Blame the Republicans

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

iospace posted:

Well, we know Ted Cruz is hosed forever, so that's also a silver lining.

Also Trump might truly hate being president and all its responsibilities

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

iospace posted:

Congrats, we get shadow president Pence now. Enjoy forced conversion therapy.

We're already getting that. I fully expect ted Cruz at my door to personally drag me to the trains.
But I want Trump to dislike all the demands put on him as a figurehead in a position that isn't one. He doesn't deserve to enjoy this.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Eh Bernie's primary campaign was a clusterfuck. He would have made different mistakes. We'll never know if they would have been fatal.
But in the end this might work out better? A dramatic failure of the business wing of the democrats, and what's probably going to be a really disappointing tears for R voters while a bad but energizing time for Ds. Bernie getting obstructed to hell isn't going to lead to motivated midterm voters probably.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

We would have Killer "antivax" Mike ads instead of Lena Dunham. Which I'll admit is probably a marginal improvement

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Hillary voters seemed to think Vax/anti-vax was some really important distinguisher this year. Amazing.

What? No I'm just using that as a concise way to say Mike's politics a catch shade like Lena's.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

zeal posted:

Jesus Christ SHUT THE gently caress UP HILL SHILL

your sole use as a human being these days is as a funnel of intelligence from your fellow wastes of skin

no one needs to hear your opinions on anything ever again

gently caress off

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Bruh these are all issues of degrees. Mike has never once acted in any kind of capacity to endorse anti-vaccination. Smearing him as if he has was the kind of toxic politics that ate out Democratic solidarity.

Yeah I just point out him buying into that nonsense because it made me look back on listening to Reagen and thinking "man if he thinks Obama answers to the Illuminati or some poo poo this guy is a huge jackass."
But I intended it originally as a joke anyway, since like someone else said most people don't give a poo poo about Lena either

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Unprincipled fucks are bad at the head of things but directing their schmoozing to work for good causes is better than burning everything down with the new movement or whatever trying to get on its feet. It won't be as ideologically pure but it's important to hit the ground running with existing resources to get early victories and legitimatize the new direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Now I really don't understand the Democratic party its values its principles excetera excetera but why was the dean scream so apocalyptic for Howard Dean?

He was that cycle's Bernie so everyone climbed to something to make him look dumb and bad so he would go away.

• Locked thread