Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cargo cult posted:

-as someone pointed out claiming sanders would achieve nothing simply because it's impossible to achieve anything without the house. then once sanders was done switching to, "you will get nothing from us you needy racist millenial/hicks, and you will like it"
And by nothing, you mean a complete and total concession on virtually everything in her platform, essentially just changing the name at the top of the ticket while keeping everything Bernie supporters said they liked. THe result - they actually felt cheated on it.

That's a takeaway that cannot be dismissed or downplayed - the leftist coalition is not motivated by policy, its always about a charismatic leader. Saying "their only recourse is to go left" from the most progressive platform in history, is just ignoring the reality for a convenient fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Oh Snapple! posted:

literally no one bought that they were gonna fight for a single loving thing on that platform

But of course, if they go still further left, then you'll for sure believe it, and it won't be because of the name at the top of the ticket at all.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So how long did it take for you guys to replace "we need to do something, we need to come together, we need to fight this monster any way we can" with "gently caress YOU dad! I refuse to ever be associated with the only possible party with the infrastructure that could possibly oppose Trump!". Should we just tell LGBT voters and minorities to give up all hope, there will be no calvary because the silver in the armor wasn't pure enough?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MJ12 posted:

I suspect a lot of centrists are actually sympathetic with more left positions. They only take up that position because they felt that those harder-left positions were unelectable or electoral poison. I mean, it's in the name. Incrementalism. So now that it turns out centrism isn't more electable, well then.
People don't join the Democrats to line their pockets and suppress people when there is a perfectly good fygm party right there. Democrats all have the same goal they are working towards, there was just a disagreement on how to achieve that. Why would you expect a long drawn out and ultimately self serving fight if the self is not what these people want to serve?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vox Nihili posted:

Assuming it isn't followed by 4 years of bitter Clintonites claiming Keith is an illegitimate pretender to the throne.

If he can deliver in 2018 and turn the tide back against the Republicans absolutely no-one in the party is going to say poo poo to or about the guy.

If.

Getting him in is all well and good, but he still must prove himself.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zythrst posted:

Also its narrated by Bernie and Mark Ruffalo so now I want Bernie to be in The Avengers.

90% of the audience - "why did Stan Lee shave his moustache?".

OhFunny posted:

I just got home.

I drove an hour to attend my County Democrat Meeting and got to speak during open forum.

I said I was there because I was angry. Angry that Donald Trump is President and Hillary Clinton. That I was also angry that labor had been ignored this election. That we lost Wisconsin and Michigan, the most union states, because we didn't speak to labor issues. Donald Trump spoke to workers about how he was going to bring jobs back from China. He's lying of course, but lies are better than silence. I said Democrats need to make labor the #1 priory going forward from the local to the national level and the strongest voice for that would be to support Keith Ellison as the next DNC chairman.

Everyone applauded and a woman came up to me later to thank me for speaking and that they needed more rabble rousers. :3:

I'm feeling pretty good right now.

And that woman's name was Albert Einstein.

Seriously though, why are people saying Ellisson is the only choice for a labor focused Dem party? Does he have experience as a strike leader or a union boss or something?

Not being dismissive, I just want to know what exactly people are referring to.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

punk rebel ecks posted:

But I didn't vote for him. I'm not even in his district.

Do you think he can tell that from a phone call?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So has any Democrat figure pledged support for anyone other than Ellison at this point? It seems like there's not even a token resistance to the handing over of power.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'm a baby idiot who spent the last four years mistaking tweeting and blogging for participation in democracy. What do I need to do to make Keith Ellison DNC chairperson.

At this point it looks like nothing. Nearly all the remaining party leadership seems to have backed him, and as far as i know no-one has come out in support of Dean or Harrison. I literally cannot understand why they haven't just said "y'know what, forget it" and formally withdrawn - especially Harrison.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bump_fn posted:

not actively backing is the same as denigrating him. speak out or gently caress off

Okay, so they're denigrating all choices equally. Seems fair to me.

Dnc chair doesn't need a unanimous mandate from all elected officials. Ellisson will not need their love, just their compliance.

Zikan posted:

the election isn't until next near so there's still time for a third way resistance for form

Unlikely. With how people are talking Brazille may be pressured to step down within weeks, and Ellisson would most likely be named interim. Yeah, there'd be a proper election in March still, but you can't really build a case against the guy who just got the job that quickly.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

what if the dem leadership is embracing progressives so they can blame them for a bad election in 2018 and purge them again? Im just having a hard time accepting all these ancient neoliberal third way shits who have dominated the party for a generation are just surrendering this easily to a takeover by the progressive wing

I like how this is based on the premise that you know progressives will do really poorly in 2018, but they are still absolutely the right choice.

Crazy thought, but maybe these people aren't acting out of malice, and after seeing that their path doesn't work, instead of wailing and raging, accept the defeat and want to empower people who can fight better?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hobotrashcanfires posted:

I guess the only answer is to take it and make it work. Maybe it fails, and maybe they will, but I doubt they have that plan now. Hubris got us into this situation, a genuine ground-up grassroots movement is almost certainly the only way out. If a true and renewed democratic party of real every day people can't get us out of this, pretty sure were hosed whether they take it back or not.

So if that is their plan and I don't believe it is yet, we ought to make sure they're way too loving late.

If that's their plan, we can foil it by retaking the house and a majority of governorships in 2018, ensuring that there is no way for them to claim failure. Hah, won't they look stupid then?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Anyone got that "this labor day, Republicans support union workers" thing from the 50s?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hobotrashcanfires posted:

I guess the only answer is to take it and make it work. Maybe it fails, and maybe they will, but I doubt they have that plan now. Hubris got us into this situation, a genuine ground-up grassroots movement is almost certainly the only way out. If a true and renewed democratic party of real every day people can't get us out of this, pretty sure were hosed whether they take it back or not.

So if that is their plan and I don't believe it is yet, we ought to make sure they're way too loving late.

Why exactly is your clinging to leadership and power after your way fails to work better or more justified than them doing the same thing? Shouldn't you, in the case of a loss, be as willing to hand over the reins as you expect them to be?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BrownClown posted:

So, I'm in MA.

For stuff like Keith Ellison for DNC chair, I'll be calling my senators (although I know Warren already seemed supportive) and reps.

For stuff like Bannon and Gaffney, is my energy better spent just contacting Republicans, in state (Baker) and out of state?

Why are you posting this in the Adult Swim thread?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mordiceius posted:

I could imagine Schumer sees the progressive rumblings in a similar vein as the tea party movement post the 2008 election. He knows that his best bet is to get on board early and fully because we all saw what happened to establishment republicans in 2010 that tried to stand against the tea party.

But it doesn't matter what his personal motivations are or what his personal beliefs are so long as he falls in line.
Yeah, slow down there ace. How about you win an election before you start ordering spikes for traitors heads.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Jive posted:

Politicians should do more than win elections.

Do as much as you can more, but winning elections is still item one.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Why is it necessary for people itt that not only you be allowed to win and take control over the party, but that everyone else be fearful and hate you for it. All signs show that there is a decisive and clear move by all members towards giving your way the full speed ahead. Why are you now needing to invent stories of these Democrats raging and crying that it's happening?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thoguh posted:

There's probably a shitload of favors that are never going to be paid back if the Clinton wing is tossed out.

And yet they are relinquishing the reins quietly and peacefully.

Once again, maybe these people actually care about America more than enriching themselves and saving their own skins, and aren't fighting it cause they want the party to change footing when ir needs to as soon as possible.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

iospace posted:

One thing the democrats need to do now, and it's not involving policy:

GET UP A GOTV OPERATION THAT ISN'T JUST PRESIDENTIAL YEARS.

Isn't that Ellison's job if he takes the chair?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Oldest Man posted:

"Senate Democrats’ Surprising Strategy: Trying to Align With Trump"
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/17/us/politics/democrats-house-senate.html

Really though, is anyone surprised by Democratic leadership playing quisling to a monster?

Bernie: we should work with Trump on improving infrastructure and maternity leave.

Thread: this is why Bernie is a courageous and smart leader! What a plan!

Any other leftist: we should work with Trump on improving infrastructure and maternity leave.

Thread: HANG THE TRAITORS!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

big juicy nectarine posted:

Donald Trump, who to be fair is funny as hell.

The man got booed off stage at a charity dinner.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

I would appreciate this link if it is real, tia

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38008954

Here, laugh at a woman feeling the pain of a dream she has worked towards her whole life die, if you must.

MaxxBot posted:

If Dems think "block everything" is a Cool and Good strategy like Republicans do then they'd just be proving the Republicans point that government is dysfunctional.

Besides, improved infrastructure and maternity leave are two things Americans need, and getting it to the people even if it's under Trump can only be a good thing.

Nixon gave America the EPA, but the EPA is still objectively good.

Fulchrum has issued a correction as of 04:23 on Nov 17, 2016

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

comingafteryouall posted:

If Bernie died in any kind of foul play there would be riots everywhere

we would probably enter into a period of political violence like Colombia's La Violencia. The Republicans have already been planting the seeds of dehumanizing protesters and the other side...

Which is actually sounding really dangerous.

The man is 75. He could just die of natural causes, but in this climate, many people wouldn't believe it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hamelekim posted:

Anyone else incredibly worried about a fascist takeover of the US by Trump and Co? All of the pieces are there for it to happen, and it scares the hell out of me. What would a fascist US do to Canada? I mean, we would be screwed.

Please don't become a fascist dictatorship under the god emperor Trump.

It's easy to argue about the various limits that exist, but most of those seem to be convention, not legal. Trump can just give anyone he wants top secret information with his decree, that includes his children. The guy is going to use his popularity to drive all sorts of totalitarian policies, and at the same time appeal to his base so he gets the support he needs from politicians. Before you know it, everyone is screwed beyond a civil war of some sort.

What does giving secret information to his children have to do with destroying the democratic process?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grey Fox posted:

I don't agree with this. It was a big fight just to give Bernie a bigger voice in the platform creation process, and even then that was recognized as being a big compromise on both sides. The party certainly started to lean more towards the left in the final negotiated platform, but I think it still needs to be made clear that the party did not just take Bernie's positions and paste them into the party platform.

Mainly because Bernie was being a dick about the entire thing and not taking it seriously, putting up loving Jill Stein supporter Cornel West to represent him on the committee.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So you think Hillary Clinton lost because she didn't call Barack Obama the n word enough?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
He threw his support behind Jill loving Stein. He loses the right to be treated as a serious person with serious views as soon as he looked at Crystal Healing McRussia Stooge and thought "Now this is a person whose views I trust".

Are you seriously at the point where any figure who criticizes the dems, no matter how clowning or ridiculous, needs to be treated as a very serious person? Why don't we just post Ted Rall poo poo and get it over with?

Fulchrum has issued a correction as of 13:40 on Nov 20, 2016

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone got numbers on those counties where Trump won that Obama won? I'm still wondering if there is any truth to the idea that anyone who voted for Obama voted for Trump, or if it was just a hugely depressed dem turnout while Republicans would not be dissuaded from voting against a D.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Silly question but did the Clinton's make much of an effort to paint Trump as a rich rear end in a top hat during the campaign? I remember hearing a lot about how he was a racist and a sexist but little to nothing about him being a rich kid that had everything handed to him, that he treated his employees like garbage, etc. Which is basically how the Obama campaign painted Romney in 2012 and that worked like a charm, all I could remember people talking about was how much of a rich rear end in a top hat Romney was.

I'm wondering if maybe Hillary wasn't interested in attacking Trump on his wealth or maybe she was interested but focus groups told her it'd be a bad idea because she was wealthy.
Constantly. She spent way more time on him stuffing his employees contracts - she even had a story in the debates about her father's business and how he once got stiffed by a rich rear end in a top hat like Trump and how it made them all feel.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

punk rebel ecks posted:

As we keep telling you. Obama won these people over because he promised "hope" and "change". He promised them jobs and an increase of quality in their lives. Trump won these people over by promising to "make America Great Again" as he campaigned on bringing back their lost industry and dropping disastrous trade deals. It's not that difficult to connect.

But that was NOT the main thing that had these counties switch teams this time around. The Republican party has ALWAYS been anti-immigration and for racial hatred. Trump just turned it up. Again the reason why these people switched were due to promised economic change. The Democrats can campaign for social and racial justice AS WELL as economic populism and still win these people over handily.

This is why people switch parties. Because they don't get the results they want or the rhetoric. Hillary didn't campaign on "hope" and "change". She campaigned on what is already entrenched. The Democrats have made zero effort in an attempt to curtail the power they received in 2008 and paid heavily for it. It isn't the fact that the Democrats didn't get the results they promised, but the fact that they sat on their laurels that make it so difficult to be sympathetic with them when the house of cards fell.

And when it gets completely and totally ignored yet a loving gain because it's an answer that tries to be informed and relevant, and isn't just "SO MUCH WINNING", then loving what?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

punk rebel ecks posted:

But it's been successful.

Are you seriously going to try and claim that Hillary was actively oblivious to any economic problems being faced by people in the rust belt, and not a single one of her plans and policies had anything to do with helping these towns? Or is this just the return of "Well she didn't really MEAN it" fallacy?

speng31b posted:

And literally NOONE here is saying that we need to drop economic populism entirely from the platform either. I think we can run on both and win, but you also have to understand that given the history of our country, the Democratic party, who has power, and who is more vulnerable, deemphasizing social issues as a takeaway from the handwringing about how we've failed to appeal to a certain demographic is a real danger to a lot of people.

Note that I'm not calling out anyone in this thread and accusing them of anything; I think it's a fear within the Democratic party given the sort of leadership we've had to date, and I hope it changes. If you want me to just come out and say I don't think Hillary ran an effective campaign on economic issues, that's absolutely true. She didn't. Didn't on social issues either. What she said wasn't bad, but she didn't say enough of it.

Historically, there's never once been a point in time where a party has said that we could try both economic populism to appeal to whites AND minority issues and rights" and ever actually kept the second part.

Fulchrum has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Nov 21, 2016

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

well no people are saying that, that's in fact the entire reason these arguments start, when someone needs to run in and say 'uh excuse me you can't say trump's support came from bigotry' when it did, in one major component.

As for 'just do what obama did', it's not at all that simple. Obama had an insane coalition behind him, do you think there's ANY party with just a roster of Obama's ready to deploy every 8 years? A combo of being a serious black candidate and being young and charismatic as gently caress as well as a platform that was pretty robust on both economic and social issues was what got him a lot of areas. You can do some of those easy, most importantly the platform issues, but no we'll probably never be able to 'just do what Obama did' 100%

Hell, for all intents and purposes Hillary was doing what Obama did. Improving on all his policies and saying that they would continue the successes of the last 8 years.

How do you run on "everything needs to be burned down and changed" when your party has been in the white house for 8 years?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fullhouse posted:

hello, please tell me two of her plans and policies that would have positively affected dying factory towns without checking her campaign website tia

Opiod addiction focus and rehabilitation to affect poverty cycles, and heavily subsidizing green energy factories in those same towns to manufacture lithium batteries, solar panels, windmills, and so on.

Oh, I'm sorry, was this supposed to be some dumbass rhetorical question because you were so sure these things couldn't exist?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

etalian posted:

I am suprised she didnt give more focus to the Midwest given how being defeated by Bernie should have provided a clue about her campaign weakness.

So if through a miracle Bernie had won he should have put all his resources in safeguarding California and New York?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KaptainKrunk posted:

You don't. You say "we need to recalibrate our policies, but these fucksticks on the other side of the aisle are in our way." Which is 100% true. Unfortunately the message is badly delivered because the Dems lack any sort of spine or fighting spirit. They think they've elevated themselves above the vulgar blood sport that is politics. But they haven't; they just suck rear end at it. In politics, you need to destroy your enemies, employing hyperbolic rhetoric if necessary.

"When they go low, we go high" was the most pathetic, milquetoast poo poo ever lol
This is the exact opposite of Obama, of just pushing through pure partisanship and demonizing everyone who opposes you. Obama loving campaigned on being a uniter.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Segmentation Fault posted:

Make America Great Again?

Lying Crooked Hillary?

Trump's poo poo actually stuck. Clinton had "Dangerous Donald"

Oh for fucks.... that was literally never used once. It was a rumor that got floated on Twitter, but somehow everyone here is loving convinced she used it as a catchphrase!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

logikv9 posted:

one of the biggest issues facing democrats now is that it's a machine damaged beyond repair that can be remade into something so much better and efficient, except there's nobody good to use it on in 2020

I still say Duckworth could.

Jaminjami posted:

it's not a either or thing

You cannot make any attempt to be a unifier if you spend your time saying "gently caress those guys, those guys are assholes, everything is all their fault", you come off as just as stupid and insincere as Trump sounds now.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hey look, a bunch of Twitter posts floating a rumor. Now, anyone have anything with Hillary saying the words Dangerous Donald? No? Thought not.

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is not true in at all. When Democrats campaigned on both, both saw stunning success. See "Great Society" and the 1960s and 1970s. This is a myth perpetrated by neoliberal establishment Democrats who have turned their backs on minorities more than any other flavor of the party. The American Left hasn't had a seat in the Democratic Party since then and thus minority rights have been squandered left and right. History has consistently shown that you can be both economically progressive and social. They often tie hand in hand as a matter of fact. This notion that you can be one or the other is total bullshit and is extremely dangerous thinking that has led to the parties demise.

Oh yeah, remember when all those working class whites came running into the Dems due to caring way more about economic issues than social ones following 1964? And who can forget that goddamn height of dem power from 1968 to 76?

Is there any problem you won't blame on those nebulous democratic elite who seem to hate every single person they represent and exist only to stop the plucky leftists, who would be undefeatable if only those dastardly party elites weren't easily squashing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fullhouse posted:

maybe she should have tried telling anybody about these policies because it's the first i've heard of them

It's amazing that the media refusing to loving cover her goddamn speeches or her policies at all is still completely her fault. I guess she just needed to try and make a multi-part plan to fix half the country sexier.

• Locked thread