Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The ~democratic establishment~ gonna try and canonize Obama but the progressive wing should oppose them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Guy Goodbody posted:

Drones are good because they allow America a wider set of foreign policy options without risking military lives.

:chloe:

Ledbetter and DADT were good thanks for reminding me. It's really not a good sign that "cash for clunkers" is on the shortlist of accomplishments though.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The progressive wing should canonize an idealized version of Obama so they can distort his legacy to their benefit instead of trying to tear him down.

We need some loving heroes who haven't been dead or out of politics for decades.

Our hero Bernie was stabbed in the back before he could lead us to victory. Obama was a good man, but his tendency towards optimism was a flaw. He let Clinton and the neolibs faction trick him into believing in progress without progressivism.

E: ^^this is good propaganda. Look no further than the ol' kingfish for all of your weltanschauung needs.

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Dec 14, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yes. Exactly this kind of crap. Especially because it's only partially false anyway IMO.

Exactly! The hint of truth will make it go down smooooth. Bernie is a much better symbol than Obama anyway because Bernie never actually had to deal with the messiness that comes from actual power.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why didn't the people just like beat him up or something?

He brought a cadre of bodyguards with him most everywhere he went.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Huey Long was the left's Donald Trump. If that sounds too weird to be true, then do yourself a favor and read T. Harry Williams' biography of Long and then report back here to shitpost about him with me.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

paranoid randroid posted:

i should hope the left can do better than a virulently racist upjumped door-to-door salesman who got shot for being an rear end in a top hat

Huey probably did more for the black people of LA then any governor in history. Probably did more for the poor in his state than any single governor in history. We aren't nearly lucky enough to have had a man like Huey in the Whitehouse.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

paranoid randroid posted:

hes a very complicated, unusual guy to be sure, and im extremely frustrated by the lack of decent historiography about him. feels like coverage of his life either completely elides over the racial aspects, like his programs that got textbooks to black school children, or totally lionizes him by pretending he wasnt a vicious race-baiter.

i think that modern conceptions of political thought just dont have very good framworks for discussing Huey Long

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

huey was a racist rear end in a top hat. his policies both helped and hurt black people in a variety of ways. yet he was probably better than any other governor for black people in the entire deep south from the 1870s till the 60s, and he was under constant attack because some of his policies didnt in discriminate and benefited black people.

the south was pretty goddamn poo poo.

Abraham Lincoln was also a racist.* We acknowledge this racism as both a character flaw and a product of his time and we feel comfortable looking past it- at least to the extent that we still idealize the man for his character and leadership. It's easy to dismiss Huey as some sort of unreconstructed racist because our world is profoundly different from the one in which he lived. In the context of Southern demagogues Huey was the best there ever was.

It's true that Huey did race-bait occasionally but it's also true that he personally detested doing so. To suggest that racial resentment was the only political tool he used or its use was a common occurrence does a great disservice to the man. Huey was a bitter enemy of the KKK and LA's black people loved him as far as we can tell today given the lack of polling data.

Just lol at the people calling him a traveling salesman.

*:abuela:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Serf posted:

I'm not sure if you meant this sarcastically or not, but he did start out as a traveling salesman, and by all accounts that served him very well later on. Not only did he connect with the common person on a level most politicians don't manage, he also would call out specific names of people at his rallies and banter with them. It was a hell of a trick, and people loved that he seemed to know them personally, not just as voters.

He would say anything to get votes. I remember reading that in northern LA he pandered to the Catholic temperance crowd by railing against alcohol, and then down south along the coast he would sing the praises of liquor.

Calling him a traveling salesman seems like a dismissive attack to me. Huey was a traveling salesman for a few years after highschool and he learned a lot about the character of different LA communities during that time. He had a genius for sales, but was also a brilliant and principled lawyer.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

docbeard posted:

I just can't decide if Trump is Homer Stokes or if he's the Devil-Sheriff, because "The law?!? The law is a...human institution!" is a very Trump attitude.
Come on dude he is obviously "Big Dan" Teague.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The people in your city government have a much greater impact on your daily life than the guys in D.C.

Barring something incredible happening, the easiest way for Democrats to demonstrate that they can actually make things better instead of just talking about it all the time will be via local and state governments.

Which is probably going to involve primarying complacent democratic officials in urban centers.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yinlock posted:

isn't trump's idiocy literally the reason for this

Hillary Clinton's incompetence.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Realtalk: If Obama actually tries to delay transition then the blame for everything that results will be entirely his.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yinlock posted:

is her incompetence somehow responsible for donald trump being a loving idiot

Trump being an idiot won't have caused the constitutional crisis/civil war. That will be entirely on the Obama.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yinlock posted:

i think we passed constitutional crises a long time ago

No we didn't. What on earth would make you think that??

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

HorseRenoir posted:

tbh a civil war is more desirable than a trump presidency, maybe we can get reconstruction right this time

Trump could easily win and hundreds of thousands would die. gently caress you.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I never thought so many liberals would be so nonchalant about the end of American democracy.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yinlock posted:

what if that person also hired the worst possible person for every position and also loves nukes a lot

Then democrats shouldn't have sucked poo poo at politics.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

AngryBooch posted:

Nothings gonna fuckin happen tomorrow

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yinlock posted:

okay but them actually doing something to stop it is suddenly bad

Yes. It's too late for them to do anything about it. This would break the nation permanently instead of just for a he next 8 years.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The former option is a hyperbole and still objectively better than the latter. I am 99% sure that Obama realizes that.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

obama will throw out a smoking gun that trump is a putin plant and unsurprisingly nobody will care

If this happened then there would be a bipartisan campaign to get the EC to send the vote to the House. Obama was a goddamn constitutional professor; he knows how this stuff is supposed to happen and will keep it constitutional.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yinlock posted:

there wouldn't be a bipartisan anything, republicans will say "emails" until the issue means nothing and it will quietly disappear

No. Mainstream republicans would turn on Trump if there was actual prove that he was a patsy.

E: the mainstream GOP is not not pro Putin you guys are diving too deep in RWM.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yinlock posted:

there's actual proof he's a criminal like 5 times over and they don't give a poo poo

You keep saying that. Even if it's true it's literally nothing like a constitutional crisis.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

zegermans posted:

Lol y'all are suddenly concerned about the sanctity of the process as soon news might take a second away from hating Clinton at levels that would make Alex Jones cringe.

Nobody has even hinted at loving with the constitution until right now actually.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yinlock posted:

i'm saying that if trump openly laundering money and almost definitely being a rapist isn't going to stop them then a little foreign collusion certainly won't

do you think republicans actually care about the constitution?

This is what liberals actually believe, huh?

:chloe:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yinlock posted:

so does labeling me a liberal somehow make my argument invalid or
Your argument speaks for itself.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

HannibalBarca posted:

maybe Obama will do that dumb recess appointment thing and put a flaming liberal on SCOTUS

:laffo:

That would own.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

ScrubLeague posted:

He ran and got elected on a platform of abolishing the first amendment.

No he didn't.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

ScrubLeague posted:

Maybe you were too busy shouting at an old lady but yeah he totally said his administration would restrict the freedom of speech, religion, the press, and the right of the people to peaceably assemble to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

How about you post an example so I can tell you specifically why you're wrong.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

LGD posted:

He's right in the same sense that Hillary campaigned on abolishing the 2nd and 4th amendments.

good point.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Not a Step posted:

Obama counting the days til he can be done with this poo poo.

E: I enjoy that in one breath he defends Hillary from the fallout of the revelations of the DNC inner workings, and in the next just shits all over her for not doing more fieldwork. He never really forgave her, did he?

The leaked Colin Powell* emails suggested that they never got along. He told a fellow insider that Hillary refers to Obama as, "that man" to her intimates.

*I think it was Powell. Could have been somebody else.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm sorry, I though clearing the field of challengers for a coronation because It's His Turn was supposed to be bad now???

Ha

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Here's what happened: Across Age Groups, Whites Fared Worse in Employment Rates

quote:

While Hispanics, African-Americans and Asian-Americans have millions more jobs now than they did at the labor market's high-water mark in November 2007, before the economy turned into recession, whites actually lost 700,000 more jobs than they gained.

The only demographic of white people who are more likely to have a job since the recession? Those over the age of 65.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I remember. In fact, by total random luck, it was the same day that article was published that he spontaneously recalled that. One might think this was a coordinated smear from an opposing political campaign leveraging lies and fake news, if one was a racist Berniebro who hates civil rights leaders and black WaPo writers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is all completely true. Mother gently caress the DNC and their media cronies!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The primary matters a lot and we don't have another election until 2018. It's total bullshit that we still can't talk about some of the disgusting practices displayed by the DNC's stooges during the primary race.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Baloogan posted:

motherfuckers, if you want to post then POST. If you get probations then so be IT! Don't be milk toast whiners screaming and passive aggressively throwing chairs! Some of you WILL get probated taking the next hill, but if the hill is worth taking then throw yourselves into it!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

If we don't bitch endlessly about how the media helped to gently caress Mr. Bernie Sanders then they will do the same to our candidate in 2020 and 2024.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

No, it probably didn't matter in the end that the DNC and the media colluded to torpedo Bernie. But it easily could have mattered and next time maybe it will. If that doesn't seem like a problem worth discussing to you then eat poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Al! posted:

hahaha, the commies have multiple different salty horseshoes

Those horseshoes say the same thing.

• Locked thread