Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Honestly the thing that is most important to me is how low the turnout was compared to 08 and 12, in both columns. Fair or not, I don't think anyone in the DNC or campaign was honest with themselves about just how disliked Hillary is. The electorate hated her as much as they hated Trump.

Given what they perceive as two poo poo choices, people are gonna either stay home, or give the edge to the bomb throwers and "change" candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Before the Abuela thing was a hilarious meme (I'm guilty of this too) it should've loving terrified everyone. It's was so forced and painful to watch.

Even if sexist people exist and your opposition lied about you for 20 loving years, you can't loving govern if you can't make people like you and win a election.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

Clinton does not matter anymore. What we do next matters.

Probably shouldn't put up candidates with massive approval deficits. People don't show up to vote for someone they don't like, and we loving forgot that. Trump and Clinton both got fewer votes than the last two guys who lost. We can argue about GOTV operations or if we're being differential enough to "rural whites" or we can try again with candidates people actually want to loving vote for.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Like I totally think it's largely unfair that people don't like Hillary. It's so much bullshit and double standards but lots of people are going to suffer now because we pretended that voters will show up for someone they hate as long as they hate the other guy too.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

The rust belt was just as lovely economically in 2012. Republicans put up someone who came off like everyone's rear end in a top hat boss, sang his praises about what a skilled technocrat he was, and told people to hold their nose and vote for him.

They swung a great big miss on Romney, then the DNC looked at that and said "hmmm yes good plan let's do that in four years."

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Like Democrats are such loving nerds we keep falling for the trap of thinking milquetoast debate club presidents are good candidates because they're so smart and their hearts are in the right place and voters will come around once they learn how good we are with spreadsheets. Gore, Kerry, now Clinton plus probably a dozen more from before I wasn't a child.

I fell for it again and now lots of bad poo poo is going to happen, none of which will land on me, a white dude with a high paying tech job in NYC.

"Good candidates are ones that get people excited about voting for them." If I ever loving forget that please smack me in the loving head until I learn it again.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

In retrospect the concept of "My opponent will motivate people to vote for me" was a really loving stupid one.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Like we made fun of the Trump handing out playdoh to flood victims photo-op, but Jesus at least someone in their camp knew you should probably at least pretend you like being seen with the people you want to vote for you.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I cannot write him off completely and be a smug liberal and say "Die, fucker!" but I cannot abide by him saying those things either. And that's really the conundrum we are facing. People who have legitimate anger, acting it out in ways that simply cannot be entertained and what we need to do in response.

I dunno Obama managed to do it twice. Or at least with enough people to win.

I really wish Obama would teach someone else in this loving party how to actually campaign and connect with people.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Like literally today I saw some bullshit on Facebook with the headline "Voting third party is the height of white privilege."

Glad to see we're getting a head start on not learning anything and thinking we can shame and insult people into voting for us.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Zythrst posted:

Somebody did know

Supporting Hillary in the primary is probably my biggest loving regret this year. I didn't think Sanders' goals were realistic and was totally fine with more Obama-esque competent governing on the executive knowing Congress isn't going to do poo poo as a D is in the Whitehouse.

I didn't realize how loving bad she was at campaigning. I am so loving sorry.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

both third parties suck poo poo. they don't get a free pass because hillary jobbed it. but she doesn't get a pass because of third parties

Oh they do, it's just the "How dare you not vote for us!?" attitude that infuriates me.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Who honestly thinks lame memes mean anything other than this is the year 2016? I mean 90% of the C-SPAM posts were us posting and laughing at terrible Trump and pepe memes.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

It's past 3 and I really need to try and get some sleep instead of this weird mix of hangover and terror induced insomnia.

But seriously before I finish melting down can I just say gently caress Anthony Weiner forever? Even though the emails thing was total bullshit just the fact his dumb rear end has to pop up and inadvertently suicide bomb his own team at the last minute is just so aaaaaaaarghdkfodkekskskdnrkdkfndneoapwl

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The funny thing is this may have all been avoided if Democrats hadn't thrown him under the bus for sexting the first time.

Not sure how that would've worked since apparently he's a stupid idiot who is physically incapable of not sending pictures of his dick to randos on the Internet.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

They were right in that democrats need minorities bigly or it's game over. The intentions a lot of plans behind a lot were good; the execution was loving atrocious. They made a semi-left platform as an olive branch then never talked about it once.

I thought they did a pretty good job of pointing out how awful Trump is, and not cowering in fear like all his primary opponents. There just wasn't a message for Clinton.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

i suspect a more likely answer is the people who answered they'd vote trump voted trump, the people who answered they'd vote hillary a few weeks before election day ended up staying at home

This, plus Republicans fell in line, while rust belt democrats... didn't.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Or maybe just have an economic message more substantial and appealing than "lol factories aren't coming back idiots. Maybe we can build some green energy? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

The "good" news is that no one in a Trump admin is going to give a poo poo about workers, so there's a good chance of fixing this if Democrats can get their poo poo together in a couple yearaaahahahahaha :shepicide:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not optimistic about too many things right now, but I think this loss is shocking enough that the DNC will have no legitimacy in the party anymore and the progressive coalition will take charge.

Also pretty likely: Spending years arguing how much more racist and dumb we should act to win back "white working class" voters while ignoring the fact that a black guy named Barack Hussein Obama with tons of very visible elite celebrity friends already had them in our camp.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Oh yeah. This recruiting email they sent me last year still makes me laugh.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Honestly I think people are overplaying the "Academic Left jargon poisoned us against working class voters" a bit. Sure a lot of people roll their eyes or don't like Lena Dunham but at the end of the day:

a) We ran a deeply unpopular candidate.
b) The campaign assumed MI, PA, and WI were automatic locks and either did nothing to turn out those votes or bungled it bigly, narrowly losing to an equally unpopular candidate.

This is primarily a story about political malpractice. No one gives a poo poo if one small section of your supporters are tweeting at each other about intersectionality as long as you're also persuading them to join your side.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I mean Broad City is a legit hilarious show but lol forever if they thought that cameo was gonna help turnout anywhere but already deep blue costal cities.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

We got 80% of the vote in Brooklyn that should just about wrap it up for the whole country I think.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

yeah sure if you want to continue to be the party of 48%-52% of the county located in large cities and a handful of coastal states, and just pray to god that demographic change comes here "soon enough"

if you want to actually fix the loving country you're going to need a much larger political party that understands rural whites in Oklahoma or North Dakota or *gasp* even Alabama, and which *double gasp* treats them as equals in a diverse coalition centered on economic justice for all

I don't think we're in disagreement? I think building a coalition on liberal economic interests where rural whites have a seat at the table and OK and ND are blue would be amazing. Probably as a step one though we should stop losing areas we already had because we assume they will "have to" vote for Hillary because Trump bad.

Remember all the lol'ing at maps with red PA and MI a week ago? I want to know how the gently caress we missed that. It wasn't because of Lena Dunham or Lady Gaga.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I mean do you think it's possible Obama won OH, PA, MI and WI in 2012 because he was out on the campaign trail every day saying "I saved General Motors and shitloads of your jobs when others wanted to let them fail"?

No it must be because he appealed to their racism and distrust of big government bailouts.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Yes a man who got fewer votes than Romney was buoyed by the racist vote that wasn't already firmly in the R column.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Regardless of Hillary bad or DNC bad it would be amazing if D's had the kind of loving discipline the Rs do in showing up to vote.

I mean they literally ran an overt racist possibly insane person and got almost exactly the same numbers as the last two cycles.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Zythrst posted:

This might be as simple has having the vast majority of your base in cities.

Like can we do whatever the gently caress the Reid people did in NV?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

NumberLast posted:

I dunno, if Trump really does expand infrastructure spending through a public works program and other legitimately populist poo poo, I'm gonna have to say gg, get ready for 8 years of Trump.

I legitimately don't know what Dems could do to beat that.

Yeah it would be neat if Trump actually did good populist economic spending and didn't end up as an empty vessel with no interest in governance while all the conservative retreads from the past 20 years just gently caress everything up behind the scenes.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Zikan posted:

are you insane, this would give him another term

I'm not worried about Trump starting programs traditionally proposed by Democrats.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pomp posted:

every one hosed up and i'm mad at every one of us

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

It was just awful. Anyway I've reached out to a several people I worked with during the Primary so hopefully I can be a small part of the New DNC, now is a good time for people looking to get in on the ground floor since loyalty pledges and purity tests have been abandoned.

Let's start by primarying loving Cuomo.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Like I voted Hillary in the NY primary but I'm 100% willing to admit the Bernie people were right. What good is the safe technocrat choice if you can't even turn out your working class voters or Detroit residents against Donald loving Trump.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Zikan posted:

you gotta remember that for the white working class vote, obama portrayed himself in 2012 as saving the auto industry (i.e. thousands of jobs in the rust belt) vs. a chariticure of gordan geeko / i.e. economic populism vs a technocrat

imagine if hillary had invested in ads like this one from the steelworkers instead of "Trump's crazy lol" *ukalele & glockenspiel music*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7oxlTfqYk0

Exactly. Obama won those voters because he said "here's a specific concrete thing I did to make your lives less lovely even though my opponents are gonna attack me for it."

But yeah, they stayed home on Tuesday because racism. :rolleyes:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Stupid. Obama won 2008 and 2012. The Democrats need someone who can fight and campaign and win first and foremost, be they black, white, latino, whatever. Hillary could not and did not fight.

Nah man let's all freak out and blame this on the woke twitterati.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah. The problem is not knowing enough Lesbian soccer moms. Not a candidate that kept repeating "TPP? What TPP? I never said TPP." while her data nerds tortured spreadsheets until they confessed she was winning bigly.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Karl Barks posted:

a bunch of facebook friends are sharing that vox leslie knope letter about donald trump and saying poo poo like "crying rn" and i'm like, are you kidding me.

My woke as hell tech giant employer literally printed out paper signs that said "safe space" and taped them to a couple conference rooms so people could have a good cry I guess. Then the execs sent around an email congratulating everyone on our commitment to diversity in this difficult time.

I mean they spent the last 18 months being publicly "politically neutral". Probably would've been more useful to use some of our massive pile of resources and influence to oppose the most evil presidential candidate in a generation, but hey the cry rooms for LGBT and Muslims were nice too.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Hot take internet humor pundit incoming (but drat it was a good feeling purge): https://www.facebook.com/JonathanPieReporter/videos/1044777035645189/

"How poo poo do you have to be to lose to [Trump]?"

This thread has moved me past shock, sadness, and terror to anger at the people who hosed this up.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

HannibalBarca posted:

Welcome to the club. Now then, help me find Robby Mook's house.

Is he a New Yorker? Because it's pretty easy to find addresses here: https://voterlookup.elections.state.ny.us/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Fiction posted:

If she doesn't take the right side we're going to primary the gently caress out of her. The fact that she went right to the AFL-CIO to make her bent knee speech makes me think she won't, but who really knows.

FWIW every single Wall St guy I know hates her loving guts. They are also really really butthurt about blocking her CFPB nomination only to put her in the Senate as designated bank torturer.

• Locked thread