Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

anime was right posted:

she would have probably been a great president, but she is bombed the goddamn interview when asked about gasp on her resume. all while donald trump lied in big flashy bulletpoints.

this is a rly good way of putting it i think

i think you might even be downplaying the sexism angle. think about the way trump was able to bully and bluster his way through the entire election, flouting a different tradition every week- the first female presidential candidate couldn't possibly have done anything like that, no matter who it was. hillary spent the entire election playing by rules that her opponent didn't have to and sexism is undeniably one driver behind that.

it doesnt help that hillary's formative years as a politician happened in a much more sexist era. the next woman who runs for president will have way more options for how to portray herself and handle scandals.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also lets accept the fact that PPACA failed. Yeah PPACA does a bunch of awesome poo poo that needed to happen and it'll suck real bad when those things are gone, but it's core goal - to make healthcare more affordable - failed. High deductible plans with double digit premium increases are a failure for everyone except insurance companies.

IIRC with the subsidies, poor and middle-income people pay much less under PPACA than they would've beforehand, and that would still be true after the price hikes this year. it's just that it has a high sticker price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat

Flubby posted:

I know this is off-topic and probably inflammatory, but I think you have to give credit to Venom. He was around last night, through all that poo poo. Where is Epic High Five and A Winner Is Jew and about five other turd burglars that laughed down at anyone that called out Hillary as being a weak candidate? Rats off a sinking ship, gone before the waters had even gotten rough, and probably trying to duck their ban. poo poo on and ridicule anyone not in their group think bubble and when the poo poo hits the fan, poof. Gone.

epic high five was posting like yesterday dude

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat

comedyblissoption posted:

hillary didnt lose b/c of misogyny

i can't stand this loving thinking. i've heard it multiple times today.

she lost b/c she's a terrible loving status quo warhawk candidate who is historically unlikeable and represents the worst aspects of american politics

of course its pure coincidence that the first female presidential candidate was also "historically unlikeable"

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat

if misogyny is your primary takeaway for why clinton has lost you are not loving paying attention

some of the criticisms of clinton are actually quite legitimate! stop plugging your ears and screaming la la la whenever someone criticizes your abuela. there's a reason why people loving hate her guts and it's not because she's a woman.

it's not that people hate her for being a woman, duh. they hate her for being "unlikeable" right? who can say why a bunch of coal miners and farmers found her "unlikeable." perhaps because she was too nakedly ambitious, or too shrill, or too cold?

of course there are many legitimate criticisms of her and lots of reasons why she lost but sexism is undeniably one of them and not a small one either

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat
anything that cost hillary 1M votes can fairly be said to be the reason why she lost

and there are a whollllle lot of different things that cost her 1M votes

the number 1M is pulled directly from my rear end but whatever you get the idea

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat
hillary talked about policy all the frickin time you dummies

for some strange reason it didn't make the headlines

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

The campaign's main strategy was ads and celebrity surrogates. Neither of those two things ever, ever talked about policy. Are you talking about her little-publicized, sparsely-scheduled, not-widely-attended rallies, or her fundraising events with big-money donors?

Oh Snapple! posted:

It was the truth if I go by 99.9% of Hillary ads I saw on television.

neither of you even know what a political campaign is

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

MIND

BLOWN

*keanu reeves reaction gif*

like its about more than just national ads and the celebrities you saw on tv? i feel like i walked into a conversation about a football game and the guy i'm talking to is going entirely off the highlight reel he saw on espn the next day

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

The word "liberal" has definitely lost all meaning when it can be applied to Goldman bankers who don't want to lynch gay peopl

or its just kept the same meaning everywhere outside the US

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat

Baloogan posted:

hes the lamest duck who ever ducked; there is no worse american to be leected president as a jugdement on his presnidency

chelsea manning :colbert:

but, yes.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat

Serf posted:

Obama had 2 solid years in which he could have done just about anything and he produced... nothing but bipartisan bullshit.

everyone acts like obama in 2008 could've proposed universal healthcare and the democrats would've just dumbly voted along with him. no, the democratic supermajority included plenty of craven shills for the health-care industry & democrats back then were much much worse about toeing the party line than Republicans were. joe lieberman was still a sitting senator back then. they didnt have the option of designing the ideal healthcare system in a vacuum and using legislation to impose it on the whole country.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat
i used to be involved in lefty politics up here in Canada and it was pretty offputting that i had to be constantly aware of my straightish-ciswhitemale privilege, especially when the people doing the reminding were largely making more money than me & were much more socially assertive than I am. so i stopped trying to be an "ally" & got a straight white male job with my straight white coworkers & now I make it through weeks at a time without being told i'm privileged.

idk if that's a problem with "identity politics" or just with my local NDP, or maybe it's not a problem at all and i'm just a whiner. but tbh if it was Hillary Clinton, an extremely powerful multimillionaire, telling me how lucky i was to be a man, that would probably rankle pretty hard, especially if i was doomed to a life of poverty & oxycontin addiction by virtue of my birthplace.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat
democrats: easily the worst party, except for the republicans

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat
i just remembered that cspam has an entire thread for ppl who think misogyny and sexism had nothing to do with hillary losing

how's it goin dummies

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat

ThndrShk2k posted:

Pretty good but people keep trying to fool themselves into thinking Hillary Would've Won because she's not terrible and refusing to learn lessons learned in 2008

She's terrible and it has nothing to do with her gender
Bernie Would've Won

the first woman to run for prez got beat by a blatant misogynist so yeah a man like bernie might've done better

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat
15+ sexual assault complaints and creeping on Miss USAs and bleeding out of her wherever and rosie o'donnell and ted cruz's wife and grab 'em by the pussy and "she's tired, she's sick, she doesn't have the stamina to be president" and the body language + constant interjection and belittlement of three debates

2016 had more to do with gender than any us presidential election in history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Soiled Meat

the maga hat is the political equivalent of a yard sign and lol if you dont think that was super effective

the political equivalent of a yard sign is a yard sign

• Locked thread