Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
It's a small lesson, but next time avoid shining the light on Lena Dunham, Lady Gaga, and their ilk. I doubt you could find two people that better embody the stereotype of a wealthy coastal liberal that doesn't understand or give a poo poo about anyone outside their bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

Obama had lots of celebrity support but he won. It's about coopting those people with a message. The HRC campaign did not have a message

I'm not sure the celebrity support was a plus for Obama. I guess yeah, if your message is stronger than their image, then that's all well and good, but if it's not they're going to be putting their image out there with your name on it.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Not a Step posted:

Is it gonna be against minorities or doubling down against whites is the real question

The only democratic revival that would be worth anything would be one that rekindles class consciousness.

On another note, why didn't she control outlets that were making GBS threads all over Sanders supporters or at least tell them they weren't helping? Did she think that letting them run the Bernie Bros meme would kill that movement faster while not saying anything herself would protect her from backlash? Or did she genuinely not have any control?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

Iv met both but never talked to either on a regular basis ever. Mook was 100% certain in data and models which proved hilariously inaccurate and Podesta was more in that "we need to harness populism or were hosed" area. Both are done now though.

Someone who makes tweets like this

https://twitter.com/johnpodesta/status/786988264985100288

is probably not gonna be harnessing much populism. Good riddance.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

So here's a question, how do we shift the academic left to where it needs to be? Because right now the focus is on race and gender and how everyone that disagrees is a racist sexist that won't acknowledge their privilege, and that's where the next batch of fresh faced young campaign staffers, thinkpiece writers, and everything else is coming from. They're going to make it very hard for Democrats to shift back to being the party of the poor, because that's not even on their radar. Hell, I imagine to them the Trump victory just validates everything they've been told about rural voters.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

part of the focus on identity politics was to completely avoid addressing economic issues let alone giving lip service to them

trump had lip service

And that's going to have to change, but it won't unless academia changes. Rural white voters aren't going away, they're going to get poorer and angrier, and their numbers will be bolstered as the elites keep looting the country.

The academic left needs to change. It produced people that not only thought like this:

but would call anyone who said things like that were horribly lovely racist and privileged and all the other jargon that drove voters away. The academic left produced a wall of gatekeepers that prevented the higher ups from hearing reason, and that's going to have to change real fast.

To be honest, I don't know if the academic left can be fixed until the college bubble finally explodes, because right now it looks like they're doubling down.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Pomp posted:

but when push comes to shove they don't care about the people that trump is an existential threat to, and i can't comprehend how they fell for the man's blatant lies

You don't understand or give a poo poo about them, they don't understand or give a poo poo about you. If you want to change that, find common ground, because otherwise this is pretty much how it's going to be for a long time.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Pomp posted:

i'm a white person with no college education who grew up dirt poor in southern trailer parks and I still don't understand what kept trump bullshit from being exceedingly transparent to 59,704,886 people

For a lot of them, that was the only thing they had. If Hillary had given them an alternative vision, maybe things would've been different.

I suppose shout your policy from on high until everyone knows it is a pretty valuable lesson in all this.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

Fullhouse posted:

TYT did a video on a woke appalachian protesting for $15 the other day and it is very relevant to this thread I think (especially if the neolib brigade comes in to tell everyone how racist poor white people are again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsD59byZkl0

that is a very good interview and makes me wish people like him were given a louder voice in the Democratic party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

"Hillary Clinton's corpse will be exhumed and propped up with metal post once again to run in 2048. Chelsea Clinton announces her support for laptop running polling model from 2008 for reelection as DNC chair."

• Locked thread