Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanisher

let's start hopping in the direction our friend points and have him scout ahead real quick and report back to keep us out of danger

Need to keep that quad safe, let's see if we can secure it to our flute.

best to keep an eye out for streams and fresh pools so we don't get dehydrated on our journey

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

Rabbit gestures to Little Bird questioningly about the owl. Little Bird grows nervous and sings a song of Old Owl who prowls the forest looking for prey, descending upon little creatures who stray from home or fall asleep too early. Rabbit grows nervous about taking a nap here.

:ohdear:

I think rabbit should head to the mountaintop and see if little bird would like to come

but does anyone think rabbit needs any other equipment/friends to make the journey?

vanisher posted:

best to keep an eye out for streams and fresh pools so we don't get dehydrated on our journey

water, yes, that's a good idea

maybe some friends to be found there

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

vanisher posted:

let's start hopping in the direction our friend points and have him scout ahead real quick and report back to keep us out of danger

Need to keep that quad safe, let's see if we can secure it to our flute.

Manifisto posted:

:ohdear:

I think rabbit should head to the mountaintop and see if little bird would like to come

but does anyone think rabbit needs any other equipment/friends to make the journey?

water, yes, that's a good idea

maybe some friends to be found there

Rabbit fastens the four leaf clover to the recorder with a bit of root then follows Little Bird and the notes. After some time the two find a stream flowing through the trees. Little Bird sings about the fresh clear water and takes a drink before flying over to the other side to scout ahead. Rabbit lies by the water, taking a drink and clearing his head, wondering if he has all he needs to make the dangerous climb up the mountain. Rabbit feels refreshed but pensive.

Manifisto

let's see

rabbit has a nice warm coat, hopefully he's covered there

a sturdy staff is always helpful to a hiker/climber, maybe rabbit could cut a good one from a sapling with his teeth

a magnifying glass would be handy for lighting fires and deciphering small mysterious runes on the mountain, but to get something like that he'd probably need to meet someone who has such an artifact, or maybe come across a wish-granting fish in the stream

sunglasses look cool and protect the eyes, is there a sunglass tree in this forest?

(tldr let's look for a staff)

vanisher

We should clean our paw pads in the water to make sure we don't get a blister hiking up the rocky cold trails. Looks like there are some sticks and roots poking out, we should see if we can pull on one and get a little emergency food if we get above the treeline.

Let's splash the water to see if there are any helpful water friends and to see if this stream is safe to cross.

vanisher

Manifisto posted:

(tldr let's look for a staff)

Agreed

Perhaps a stream stick will have a little root on the bottom and can serve as a staff/emergency food source!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Rabbit searches by the stream's edge and finds a maple stick, then spends some time gnawing it into a suitable staff. After washing his paw pads in the cool water he pulls up some of the reeds and tastes their nutritious roots, storing some away with the clover to increase his provisions. Rabbit feels content.

Little Bird has still not returned yet so Rabbit spends some time poking into the water hoping to find a friendly fish and gauge the water's depth. He spies something shiny on the stream's shallow bottom but it quickly becomes obscured as his maple staff stirs up the sediment.

City of Glompton

search for the shiny thing, carefully

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

vanisher

Let's see if our root tugging turned up any tasty grubs we can share with any shy water friends

Perhaps if one appears he can see what that shiny thing is

Let's play our recorder to help entice a fish friend and see if our feathery friend is okay and can reply.

Many streams are made from melting snow, we could follow the stream up to its source

Scaly Haylie

FORD

Instruction Manuel

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shiney! if it's not too far in, reach for it. Don't fall in though!

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

Let's see if our root tugging turned up any tasty grubs we can share with any shy water friends

Perhaps if one appears he can see what that shiny thing is

Let's play our recorder to help entice a fish friend and see if our feathery friend is okay and can reply.

good thoughts, we don't know how swiftly that stream is moving

Wamdoodle posted:

Shiney! if it's not too far in, reach for it. Don't fall in though!

if it's close by okay, but I would feel better if rabbit was tethered to the streambank somehow, just in case. are there vines nearby?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Rabbit waits for the water to settle then carefully swishes around some of the tasty roots, somewhat sad that no fish come to greet him. While holding some vines with one paw he reaches in with his other and manages to grab hold of the shiny object, pulling it up to the surface where he cleans it off to reveal an old magnifying glass.

Rabbit plays the recorder in hopes that Little Bird will answer back but no echo of his tune returns to him. Rabbit grows fearful that Little Bird may have gotten into trouble. He is somewhat sure that he could ford the river if necessary as it does not run to deep or flow to fast.

Manifisto

I say we go for it. a staff is really helpful for keeping footing in streams.

vanisher

Okay bun, our feathered friend might just be out of range so lets not jump to any conclusions.

I vote cautious fording and travel towards where our friend flew off to

Instruction Manuel

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Well if we got to go in the water let's be smart about it! Use the staff to feel for deep parts of the stream bed so we don't trip and fall.

Robot Cuttlefish
Is the bird gonna get cold as we get farther up the mountain? We should keep an eye out for somthing to keep him warm :ohdear:

Historical Wizards

If we are going up the mountain, getting wet might not be a good idea, maybe a makeshift we could use to float across?

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

Manifisto

Historical Wizards posted:

If we are going up the mountain, getting wet might not be a good idea, maybe a makeshift we could use to float across?

fair point, but we've got a magnifying glass now, we can build a fire to dry off if the sunshine isn't cutting it

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Rabbit looks around to see if he can make some sort of raft to cross the stream, the cold water making him think of the chilly mountain climb that lies ahead and thoughts of whether Little Bird might need something warm too. From across the water Little Bird's tune faintly sounds so Rabbit pushes ahead and fords the stream, his maple staff helping him make his way.

From behind him Old Owl's screeches echo through the trees, sending panic into Rabbit's heart.

Manifisto

good thing that, as a rabbit, we've got leaping skills!

I'd say, as soon as we're close enough, take a mighty leap to shore

dive into a briar patch

keep still and watch nervously in the direction the sounds came from

vanisher

Manifisto posted:

good thing that, as a rabbit, we've got leaping skills!

I'd say, as soon as we're close enough, take a mighty leap to shore

dive into a briar patch

keep still and watch nervously in the direction the sounds came from

If the sounds seem distant and we judge the situation safe to scurry +1 vote on the mighty leap. Let's make some progress to our friend through some underbrush if available.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Rabbit takes a mighty leap and lands on the far shore of the stream, scampering quickly to the safety of a patch of brambles on the other side. Little Bird's song continues faintly in the distance as Rabbit's heart races, something is flying toward him through trees.

Old Owl alights on a branch above and glares into the briars at Rabbit then perks his head as Little Bird's song reaches him.

Scaly Haylie

Play recorder

vanisher

Plan of attack, option 1:

Time to put the spotlights on old owl with a bit of magic recorder playing. Let's play him a lullaby which will light up the forest and make him sleepy. He'll surely fly back to his tree and take a nap.

Defensive plan, option 2:

Fashion some kind of rabbit/mouse decoy and toss it in the water. The streams current will take it away and the Owl will follow, we can then make our way out to safety and off on our path.

Farecoal

There he go
Maybe Old Owl is misunderstood? He's mad Rabbit assumed he was going to eat him :(

Manifisto

Lizard Wizard posted:

Play recorder

hmm, risky gambit, but it could work

if owl is a jazz fan maybe we should play him this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Z349QIN1s

vanisher posted:

Defensive plan, option 2:

Fashion some kind of rabbit/mouse decoy and toss it in the water. The streams current will take it away and the Owl will follow, we can then make our way out to safety and off on our path.

let's have this at the ready in case the music doesn't soothe the owl

Farecoal posted:

Maybe Old Owl is misunderstood? He's mad Rabbit assumed he was going to eat him :(

owls can have great wisdom, we might learn something important for our journey

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Rabbit steps from his hiding place and begins to play the recorder, his notes float through the trees and reach Old Owl who beings to dance before flying about in joy. He lands on the forest floor and sings to Rabbit, thanking him for his song and promising not to eat him today.

Little Bird's song still sounds in the distance.

vanisher

excellent result

Let's see if Mr. Owl can fly quickly to our bird's rescue. Perhaps he can gingerly carry us in his talons.

e: we should set up some kind of trust test first to be sure we don't become his lunch

vanisher fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 11, 2016

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
We need to make sure that the owl doesn't eat the little bird. Play a song about the sun rising so that the owl falls asleep.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

excellent result

Let's see if Mr. Owl can fly quickly to our bird's rescue. Perhaps he can gingerly carry us in his talons.

e: we should set up some kind of trust test first to be sure we don't become his lunch

I guess I wonder whether Little Bird's song sounds distressed at all? If not, maybe it's just encouragement for Rabbit to catch up.

Since Owl obviously likes music, I suggest we promise him a duet of whatever music he likes best if he comes with us to find Little Bird. That way Owl has an incentive not to eat either of us, and maybe Owl will be grateful enough to tell us what he knows about the mountain. We could invite Owl to join us if it seemed like there was interest or a reason to do so.

Traveling in Owl's talons is an interesting idea but might be a bit overwhelming for a landlubbing bunny such as ourselves? I dunno, I'll go with whatever other people think.

alnilam

Luvcows art is so good

Macnult

alnilam posted:

Luvcows art is so good

:agreed:

I absolutely love this thread

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

alnilam posted:

Luvcows art is so good

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

Luvcows art is so good

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Macnult posted:

:agreed:

I absolutely love this thread

:same:

Elusif

I imagine the rabbit is hungry after that jump. Are there any rabbit snacks handy?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Rabbit plays another song for Old Owl, one about his friend Little Bird and Rabbit's journey to the mountain's peak. Old Owl sings again to Rabbit, thanking him for the tune and then gently picking him up in his talons, the two soar through the forest following Little Bird's notes.

At the edge of the wood Old Owl leaves them, nodding goodbye then flying silently back into the trees. Rabbit and Little Bird rejoice at their reunion and Rabbit takes a few moments to rest and nibble on some of his provisions. The base of the mountain lies ahead, it's peak stretching high into the sky and disappearing into the clouds.

Manifisto

well that was nerve-wracking but exhilarating

I'd say its time to hit the slopes

or, as the first response in this thread has it,

Android Blues posted:

onward and upward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

Manifisto posted:

I'd say its time to hit the slopes