Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

mikeraskol posted:

Josh Jackson is loving old, holy poo poo. I hadn't realized that.

I don't know how Malik Monk is going to shake out in the NBA but man he is fun to watch play right now. I think he's going to be an incredible scorer in the NBA, though I worry about the 6'3" size.

I just worry about him defensively. He's likely going to score at will, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I realize you're being dramatic on purpose, but in no way will he "be able to score at will" because there are maybe like 8 guys in the NBA who I could comfortably say could do that. I'd probably be way higher on Monk if The buddy experiment was not going so poorly right now.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I realize you're being dramatic on purpose, but in no way will he "be able to score at will" because literally no one can do that in the NBA. I'd probably be way higher on Monk if The buddy experiment was not going so poorly right now.

I'm not seeing how Buddy's outlier shooting senior season has any impact on Monk coming in and lighting it up as a freshman.

Edit: I'm being a little bitchy. I get your point about the undersized 2 guard shooting well in college not translating to the NBA. I think Monk projects to bring a lot more to the table than Hield, he seems more athletic to me and his handle appears to be a lot better. Also, you know, he's matching Buddy's best season as a freshman. I love Monk's transition and slashing game, but he doesn't do it too much right now because of Fox/Briscoe and the fact that he barely misses at range.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 5, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The reason I said monk would be perfect for the Sixers is he'd be a nominal 1.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

I realize you're being dramatic on purpose, but in no way will he "be able to score at will" because there are maybe like 8 guys in the NBA who I could comfortably say could do that. I'd probably be way higher on Monk if The buddy experiment was not going so poorly right now.

Buddy has been good this past month

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

I'm not seeing how Buddy's outlier shooting senior season has any impact on Monk coming in and lighting it up as a freshman.

Edit: I'm being a little bitchy. I get your point about the undersized 2 guard shooting well in college not translating to the NBA. I think Monk projects to bring a lot more to the table than Hield, he seems more athletic to me and his handle appears to be a lot better. I love Monk's transition and slashing game, but he doesn't do it too much right now because of Fox/Briscoe and the fact that he barely misses at range.

I suppose it's the basic comparison that worries me. Stock for Athletic 2s excelling against bad competition is at an all time low for me. Wing defenders are so much better in the NBA that I worry about him translating.

It's kind of dumb but if he literally checked one more box I'd feel more comfortable. Not only is he short, he also has a short wingspan, cannot really run an offense (even pretend to), rebounds poorly.

That being said he is still an interesting prospect, but I'd feel way more comfortable taking him 10ish than 5-6.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

then it shouldn't be a mock and they should just rank the prospects (I agree)

Doing a mock this far out is kinda dumb since the order is still really in flux and presumably they call it that mostly so they'll pop up when people google "NBA mock draft"

Their actual mock once they start doing it for real tends to be pretty solid

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

Doing a mock this far out is kinda dumb since the order is still really in flux and presumably they call it that mostly so they'll pop up when people google "NBA mock draft"

Their actual mock once they start doing it for real tends to be pretty solid

Yeah, at this far out it is basically just a Draft Board, with team logos next to it. They don't start accounting for needs until draft orders start to become more certain

But yeah, they are by far the best publicly available draft site, and I wish they would branch out to the NFL

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I've never gone from wanting to kiss you to wanting to hit you so quickly Rick

Do what your heart says is right.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Rick posted:

Do what your heart says is right.

I think he should acknowledge friendship and give you a kiss, then a playful slug on the shoulder to show the intercollegiate animosity is still there, but in a fun way.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

At 6'3, Monk could be just fine defensively, especially if he's defending point guards. I don't think he has any physical limitations besides a potential wingspan issue

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

At 6'3, Monk could be just fine defensively, especially if he's defending point guards. I don't think he has any physical limitations besides a potential wingspan issue

Being short for the position and having a bad wingspan tends to bode very badly for defense

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm watching UCLA right now and Lonzo Ball doesn't look like that great of a shooter. He's a great finisher but his 3 point shot and outside shooting don't look good. T.J. Leaf also threw down a tombstone dunk on some poor kid.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's one game. His form is hosed up though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

NickRoweFillea posted:

I think he should acknowledge friendship and give you a kiss, then a playful slug on the shoulder to show the intercollegiate animosity is still there, but in a fun way.

I like the way you think, Nick.

MourningView posted:

It's one game. His form is hosed up though.

I feel like broken form is usually something most NBA teams can fix if that's the only problem.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Rick posted:

I feel like broken form is usually something most NBA teams can fix if that's the only problem.
UCLA tried to fix his hosed up form this year but he didn't feel comfortable and now is back to shooting like a moron. Generally a red flag unless you're Shawn Marion

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I have to guess that the Celtics, should they luck into #1 via the Nets pick, would take Jackson in a heartbeat

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

aBagorn posted:

I have to guess that the Celtics, should they luck into #1 via the Nets pick, would take Jackson in a heartbeat

He'd be really hard to play with jaylen brown. I also don't think you could sell me on taking anyone over Fultz right now, regardless of the team

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

He'd be really hard to play with jaylen brown. I also don't think you could sell me on taking anyone over Fultz right now, regardless of the team

Jackson can't shoot either, at least he hasn't so far though his form doesn't look bad.

He has a pretty high floor because he's so athletic, a great defender and a pretty good creator. But Fultz is absolutely ridiculous and I think you take him every time since he's basically everything you want in an NBA guard right now.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
So is Lauri Markannen the only big in the lottery right now?

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Ball's form is atrocious and there is no way he gets that shot off consistently against NBA players but he only seems to shoot threes like that so it might be fixable.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

So is Lauri Markannen the only big in the lottery right now?

Jonathan Isaac from FSU and Harry Giles from Duke. Though Isaac plays some SF but he's 6'11".

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Probs want to make sure Giles has working knees first

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Taking Jackson over Fultz, Ball, or Smith would be really, really stupid.

Also I wouldn't touch Giles with a 10 foot pole at this point.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

Being short for the position and having a bad wingspan tends to bode very badly for defense

His wingspan been measured anywhere from 6'3 (yikes) to 6'6 so idk I will keep his defense in my thoughts and prayers

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

His wingspan been measured anywhere from 6'3 (yikes) to 6'6 so idk I will keep his defense in my thoughts and prayers

Obviously we have to wait until official stuff comes out, but he certainly looks like he's closer to 6'3" than 6'6"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is it just me or has every lottery for the past five years or so been filled with perimeter players that cannot shoot a jumper if their life depended on it? Is that a recent phenomenon or has that always been a thing that NBA teams need to fix on most players? I know LeBron sucked at jumpers for a while.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Nah, I think its mostly been like that, I think now people care about outside shooting more so it's more glaring.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lockback posted:

Nah, I think its mostly been like that, I think now people care about outside shooting more so it's more glaring.

Also aau doesn't develop poo poo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I interned for an AAU coach and by and large they're all assholes. Every single one. They only teach kids fast break and press, and even then you barely see any passing. It's no better on the girls side either.

In this day and age most kids are in some sort of competitive program by the time they're 10 and AAU is quite common among 12 year olds. That means by the time they get to high school, almost half of their life has been spent shooting jumpers from their chest, or not jumping at all on their jumpers. I had to do a tear down job on most of the girls I coached this year just to reteach them their shot at the age of 14.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
who is the long armed shut down defender sf that can't shoot who is going to be drafted in the late first round

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is it just me or has every lottery for the past five years or so been filled with perimeter players that cannot shoot a jumper if their life depended on it? Is that a recent phenomenon or has that always been a thing that NBA teams need to fix on most players? I know LeBron sucked at jumpers for a while.

Lots of shooters in this lottery

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

who is the long armed shut down defender sf that can't shoot who is going to be drafted in the late first round

Jaron Blossomgame is kind of like a 6'7 center and has disgustingly long arms, no jumper to speak of

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jaron Blossomgame is kind of like a 6'7 center and has disgustingly long arms, no jumper to speak of

I look forward to watching blossomgame play in a Thunder uniform

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

I look forward to watching blossomgame play in a Thunder uniform

Or go to San Antonio, learn a 3pt shot, and becoming Draymond 2.0

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lockback posted:

Or go to San Antonio, learn a 3pt shot, and becoming Draymond 2.0

after watching blossomgame's highlights i can assure you presti is taking him unless a euro emerges to his liking

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Doltos posted:

I interned for an AAU coach and by and large they're all assholes. Every single one. They only teach kids fast break and press, and even then you barely see any passing. It's no better on the girls side either.

In this day and age most kids are in some sort of competitive program by the time they're 10 and AAU is quite common among 12 year olds. That means by the time they get to high school, almost half of their life has been spent shooting jumpers from their chest, or not jumping at all on their jumpers. I had to do a tear down job on most of the girls I coached this year just to reteach them their shot at the age of 14.

This is why it might be beneficial for the sort of all tools wing who can't shoot to stay in college for 2 years, to get that creeping basketball mortality moment, it won't always be easy forever, when they are drafted they may fully commit to working on their shot, and they'll be mentally primed to change those ingrained patterns. That's my purely anecdotal evidence based opinion based on late lottery toolsy wings who've become good scorer/shooters in the NBA

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Man, I finally watched some Monk highlights, and I would love for him to fall to the Sixers with that Lakers pick

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is why it might be beneficial for the sort of all tools wing who can't shoot to stay in college for 2 years, to get that creeping basketball mortality moment, it won't always be easy forever, when they are drafted they may fully commit to working on their shot, and they'll be mentally primed to change those ingrained patterns. That's my purely anecdotal evidence based opinion based on late lottery toolsy wings who've become good scorer/shooters in the NBA

All potential NBA players should go to the gym and take 10k shots from every spot on the floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Dejan Bimble posted:

I have no empirical evidence to back me up, but I'm of the the opposite opinion. Get to an NBA team as soon as you can because they have better coaches, you have no time restrictions on working with them and a pro team has a much bigger incentive to improve the game of a player on a four year contract they are invested in than a college does for someone who could leave and go pro any moment and they can replace with a five star recruit every year. Staying in school is only worth it if you think you could improve from undrafted to a draft pick, or jump from second rounder/late first to a lottery pick. Otherwise declare and get drafted ASAP will be best for you game long term.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 9, 2017

• Locked thread