Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

Allegedly some of the players the Mavs are targeting include Fultz, Ball, Smith, and Ntilikina. I'm guessing Ntilikina is the most realistic player for the Mavs to get unless they move up. Where can I read too much about him?

Draft express does a really good job covering Euro guys, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Kyrie already demonstrated at least some enjoyment in passing in college, like there's a reason that Monk gets the Lou Williams comp. Yeah sometimes he can run an offense, heck sometimes he can even run it well, but in reality he just really seems like he wants to call his own number, and, heck sometimes that's great too, but in the end he's 6'2" and probably won't be able to defend SGs which is really the only place he's probably safe being played at with that mentality so you can only get so much out of him.

Like that's a knock but a guy who probably is gonna be a good 6thman is a perfectly acceptable pick at 5 (or higher if you're the Sixers and have multiple picks).

Yeah I like Monk a lot but the only reason anyone has ever called him a point guard is because he's short.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

He seems like a good fit, but I think people keep projecting him to MN because he looks like a guy from Minnesota.

This also happens with Utah every year. I think Chad Ford has projected them to take a white guy in like 15 consecutive drafts. Currently he has them taking Moritz Wagner AND Luke Kennard

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 10, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Voleh wasn't really that much worse than Issac as a college player. Slightly worse scorer, slightly better rebounder, similar shot blocker. Actually shot better from 3 but didn't take as many

Ellenson is one of the more blatant cases of "well this guy is white so he must be a good shooter" in recent memory

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Think this might be a bad move. I don't like him that much as a prospect but he was probably going in the lottery. Next year is a weaker draft but he's got some flaws that he may not want to give teams another season to pick over. He better hope the 3pt% holds up next year.

Also the Big Ten is bringing loving everyone back next year, Jesus

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ragle posted:

D.J. Wilson and Mo Wagner are declaring for the draft but not hiring agents (yet)

If they're not hiring agents I'd say they're probably coming back, especially Wilson.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Did Giles look cooked when he came back for the tournament?

He looked cooked all year. I get the potential thing but it's really weird some people have him rising

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
oh no what will they do without giles

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The math there is dumb but Ford has been saying for awhile that not everyone has Fultz one, and a few teams/scouts like Ball and Jackson better. I know locally there's a lot of talk the Lakers would take Ball first but I have been kinda assuming that was wishful thinking from crazy homers

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Depending what happens down the road they may decide there is a ceiling that comes with IT due to his defensive issues and that they don't want to shell out a ton of money to keep him anyway. Fultz would at least keep that option open in addition to giving them the best prospect in the draft

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Paul played a huge role in renegotiating the CBA in a way that allows teams to re-sign star veterans to massive contracts I don't think he's actually gonna leave

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

I think he was talking about Paul George?

Not sure how he'd be an alternative to Thomas and the post he quoted was talking about Thomas' limits defensively. But, maybe, i guess?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 4, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Slowpoke! posted:

He is going to be the most athletic dude on the court most games. If he gets his shot to even average, he would be like a smaller Dwayne Wade. And of all things, a 19 year old's jumper is something that can be fixed. Guys aren't going to get taller or more athletic, but fixing jumpers happens.

It happens but it is way less often than people want to believe it does. Especially if it's someone who has the ball in his hands a lot and can't just work on getting really good a hitting open corner 3s.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Fultz is a fantastic shooter off the dribble

Lots of threes off the dribble as the pnr ball handler

http://fansided.com/2017/05/02/markelle-fultz-nba-draft-scouting/
He real good

I feel like Jonathan Isaac is the Dragan Bender of this year's draft

I'm seeing Terrance Ferguson mocked to Detroit, which makes sense as they're dying for 3p shooting. But there are so many other guys I like, even if they don't fit, there are much higher ceilings. Jarrett Allen could be the sort of competition to scare Drummond into playing well. Anuboby seems like he'll find a solid role somewhere and potentially be great, if he fixes his shot. The bottom of the first and top of the second have a ton of intriguing role players. It's a good year for the teams that got the throwaway 1st round pick from a contender

The Nets are going to give a max offer sheet to Kentavious Caldwell Pope who can't seem to consistently find his three point shot. That's a ton of money for a 3 and d guy who doesn't really have the three. But kent bazemore got it and he's kent bazemore. demarre caroll got a huge contract after tearing all his ligaments. Wings just cost more. I'm still working through video of the 10-40 guys to decide who the Pistons need to draft aside from trading up to get Edmond Sumner.

Goofy loving Givony has Donovan Mitchell to detroit at 12, despite Mitchell not being able to shoot threes and the Van Gundy system withering and dying without at least 3 credible 3p shooters on the floor at any given time.

I still think that Hartenstein has more potential than Lauri Markannen, even if Markannen is obviously better now. Hartenstein has moves and a touch, if he can make his threes, I shouldn't even type out that out, just make it an acronym IHCMH3 he'll be a more desirable player, because he's a pf and you won't need to find a rim protecting pf to pair with him, like you would with Markannen, and because his faux dirk one leg fadeaway and pop looks like an NBA signature move.

The DX mock doesn't take team into account yet.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

All I'm going off is highlight YouTubes and DX stuff but he seems way more like a modern PF to me

Yeah I don't think he can defend NBA 3s, and almost everyone anymore is shifting tweener guys like that to the 4.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I disagree . I forget who I was listening to (Bodner?) that mentioned he had Ball higher for the Sixers than other teams because Ball's weaknesses could be glazed over by Simmons

I'll take Ball over Fox any day

I'm interested in that argument because they have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses assuming you think Ball's shot won't work in the NBA.

Agree on ball over fox though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Khagan posted:

Why does Fultz get a pass for having bad teammates but not Dennis Smith?

Because fultz was way better?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also I'm not sure Fultz is even totally getting a pass. Playing for a bad team is probably the biggest reason that there is a minority of people arguing he's not a no brainer top prospect, because otherwise it's pretty hard to see any argument against him (on a BPA level, if you want to try to argue someone else fits Boston better I guess you could but I'd still disagree). Whereas with Smith there are lots of other reasons to find fault with him beyond his team being crappy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Fox's jumper never actually goes in but hey at least it doesn't look silly

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It goes in a lot

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The players should be paid anyway so cheating is actually extremely dope. Calipari is the most morally righteous person in college sports

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

Who's the best drafters last 5-10 years? Thunders? Spurs? Bucks?

They're probably not the best but Utah has been really really good at mid to late first rounders and terrible at lottery picks outside of Hayward. Every single part of their core except Favors was a draft pick (and they traded for Favors really early in his career).

For the Thunder don't know how much credit you can really give a team for picking Durant, that was like the biggest no brainer draft pick of all time. Westbrook where they got him was genuinely inspired though, and Ibaka was a great find late in the first. I'd still probably lean Warriors because of where they picked their stars though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They both progressed into being decent shooters as the season went on, but sample size, etc...

I'd take either one before Isaac who, quite literally, might not be able to play in any games in Utah/Denver because of his asthma.

Fox couldn't even crack 25% from a short line

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He shot 38% over his last 15 games, 48% over his last 10, and 70%+ from the line for the season.

I don't think it'll ever be his biggest strength, but given the quality of the rest of his skill set I would be comfortable taking the risk at 3. Ditto with JJ.

I'd much rather that risk than taking guys with health flags like Smith or Isaac.

Why are those games more predictive than all the ones where he shot horribly?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This thread has taught me that Ben Simmons apparently improved dramatically as a ball handler while spending the better part of a year not playing any basketball

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They're not necessarily; it's going to be a small sample size for whatever portion of the college season is being analyzed unless the guy is chucking 10 threes a game and I like improvement over the course of time as an indicator of his not being a terrible!!! shooter in the pros.

Like I said I don't think he'll ever be a Monk-esque shooter, but given his other abilities I'm not too concerned if he shoots 30%-32% from three v shooting 38%-40%.

The biggest change I saw over the course of the season for him was a dramatic improvement in the quality of his shot selection. His footwork in setting up for shots still needs a lot of work and think a bit more upper body strength might help. He really needs to work on shooting off the dribble, but that's true of other guys like Smith as well.

It seems like the best way to deal with the sample size issue would be to, ya know, use a larger sample. Like maybe the whole season!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Well they've said he's going to be their primary ballhandler so I guess we'll see.

edit: do you think his injury prevented him from dribbling an ball or something?

I think it prevented him from doing it in game situations. Like there's a difference between dribbling by yourself in an empty gym and against people trying to play defense.

I know that they want him to be a point guard, I'm just really skeptical. He's an incredible passer but he was not very effective as the primary ball handler in the half court in college, especially late in the year when everyone figured out he couldn't and wouldn't shoot so they just backed way off and he had no idea what to do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Simmons as full time point guard seemed at least partially a matter of circumstance too. They had an absurd logjam in the front court and no point guards so it was easy to argue that was the best option. If they could draft a really good point guard prospect they could always reverse course there and play him at the 4. It's slightly less crowded now with Noel gone.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tanglewood1420 posted:

All the analysis of Simmons prior to the draft was that he has the athleticism, agility and instinct to potentially be a very good defender of 3s and 4s. It was his lack of effort that was concerning, not his lack of ability or game intelligence. Obviously some players never improve in that regard and are lazy defenders throughout their career, but he would hardly be the first player in the world who didn't give a crap defensively in college (on a lovely team no less) that ends up being a solid NBA defender.

It's exactly the same knock on Fultz too - great defensive tools, but rarely used them and had inconsistent effort defensively. That both were on lovely teams that were clearly going nowhere is not a coincidence.

Also Simmons was a really excellent rebounder in college. If you play him guarding 1s on the perimeter you lose some of that.

Yeah agree on the last part. The passing was the flashiest thing about his game but I think his rebounding is his most NBA ready skill

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

What's the deal with Caleb Swanigan? I feel like he was decently regarded earlier in the draft process, and seemed like a classic mid-to-late first big man who produced in college but has questionable measurables. Now it looks like his stock is solidly in the second.

Size and mobility are understandable concerns, but he's got decent length, and I feel like a big man with a good motor who can shoot and rebound is a good bet to find a role in the league. Would it be a waste to pick him in the first?

He's too short to be an NBA big, has had serious conditioning issues in the recent past, isn't a good athlete, and won't be able to guard anyone. 2nd round seems about right

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

Doesn't Swanigan have like a 7'3" wingspan to compensate for being 6'10"? Heavy dude with long arms is occasionally the best kinda rebounder.

Also he is still fat but as a general intuition I'd assume a dude who's already known for being a stupendous weight-loss sucess story shouldn't have too much trouble going the rest of the way? I dunno maybe that's too big an assumption

solid shooter and his name tools are deceptively athletic I wouldn't mind late first for him one bit. In fact I think he'll be good So There

He's not 6'10", he's like 6'7".

He'll be able to rebound but I don't think his offense holds up and he's going to be an absolute disaster on defense

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 3, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

IcePhoenix posted:

Because that's how high he was ranked before the season and the hype train stayed on the rails, basically.

If the Lakers don't take him I kind of expect him to fall a significant amount of spots (though Vivek could stop it).

He was always above Fox but he wasn't Top 2 at the start of the season. He rose quite a bit by playing really really well during the regular season. Here's a BR article about Ford's first mock draft and he had him going 7th behind guys like Josh Jackson, Dennis Smith Jr., Issac, and the French dude

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2659396.amp.html

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you could get that much in return for Boogie he would have been traded for a lot more than he actually was

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

All the stories corroborated that Vivek literally thinks Buddy Hield is some kind of Steph-Curry-but-better in the making, I do not believe at all that they got the most they could have got for him.

They definitely overvalue Hield but while I'm sure they got better offers I don't think they were getting offers that blow what they actually got away. The market for Cousins was a lot cooler than I think most people expected it to be.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

When was it declared that DeAngelo is not a PG?

Magic said they were still looking for a point guard or something to that effect, I think, and they played him off ball a lot at the end of the year (though they were also tanking at the end of the year so). But really I think it'll just depend on who they think the BPA is. If it's a PG they'll move Russell off ball. If they decide they'd rather have Jackson he'll probably stay at PG

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also its not like Josh Jackson can't shoot at all. He shot pretty fine from the College 3.

Only in the second half of the year, which, along with the awful FT%, is a big red flag

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I wish I knew whether he was mocking Kennard to Charlotte because of intel or just because he's rising/he's the "Hornets" pick in the draft.

To be fair he is extremely Hornetsy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mason wasn't anything special at all before his senior year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of Harry Giles to me? I get that he was highly regarded coming out of high school, but you think his college production combined with his knee history would be a major red flag. He didn't exactly have a sterling combine, either.

He feels like he should be toward the bottom of the mid-first-round pack of centers with defensive potential/questionable offense, but obviously there's something scouts are into that isn't readily apparent. What gives?

If he'd been able to come out of high school he'd have been a contender for the top pick in the draft. There's not much more to it than that. It's a swing for the fences and hope that he can get healthy and give you a star talent at a spot in the draft where you don't typically get those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If the loving Lakers have loving Fultz fall into their loving laps I am going to be so loving mad

• Locked thread