Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
You can't foul Andre Drummond and not expect him to make the underhand one waist level scoop shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
e: Wrong Thread

The presumptive number one pick should change several times this year. Joshua JAckson star of the mighty ducks is a super athletic wing at Kansas so he might look totally average.

Dennis Smith might look incredible

Markelle might struggle a little

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 12, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Markelle Fultz looks much more like an NBA player than all the other top pg prospects
But who cares

What's important is that some team in the late second round is going to get Marko Gudurić, who's kind of like a 6'6 Serbian Goran Dragic without the ball handling. He's absolutely mastered the hop after the catch to get easy threes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyq-UqNv0Js

Josh Jackson reminds me of a sort of combo of college MKG and Stanley Johnson, without the playmaking and with a jumpshot that's only sort of missed up and not completely awful. He has the same sort of heaviness as Stanley Johnson but he moves through defenders who should be in position to stop him

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 22, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

So what's the word on this draft, are top 5 teams going to find their salvation here

Other than Markelle Fultz, I don't know who's a future all-star. Especially since a few of the most highly touted guys were injured/coming off of injuries. what I do know is that almost all of the pg prospects who were bad three point shooters have shot around 38% or so and have good %s from the field. It looks like a draft with a lot of solid to good players and a few guys who could break out. All the bigs in the lottery range are skinny. I'd say it's much better than last year's draft.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 29, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

OH drat I just checked and the Rockets have two second round picks from the Nuggets and Blazers, plus their own first rounder. Could be a pretty good Morey draft if they don't trade those

There could be some decent 2nd rounders this year, but the most important of them all is the mysterious Alpha Kaba of France

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

He's kinda short and Is Not A Point Guard so that's probably going to be an issue defensively

I like Josh Jackson a lot even though he's stuck in Selfland and his jumper is peepee doodoo

Would it be too much Kansas stereotyping to say he's sort of a mirrored Andrew Wiggins, who's pretty good at a lot of stuff and looks like he has potential to be a great defender.

MourningView posted:

Yeah I really like him, although there's a chance he measures at like 6'2" which is still kinda iffy for a SG unless he goes somewhere with a PG who can cover for him defensively

There is an army of wings in this draft who are amazing prospects aside from the giant caveat that they can't shoot at all

Malik Monk kind of plays like Isaiah Thomas if Isaiah Thomas was 6'2, but without the passing, and without a miraculous handle. He rocks guys back and shoulder fakes into easy little jumpers off the dribble. The only guy who shoots off the dribble as well as him, who I've watched play in a game this year, is Isaiah Hartenstein. Not exactly a 1 for 1 comparison. If he can just decide to be a pg like Jamal Murray, and go to a team with lots of passing wings and bigs, he could do really well.

Speaking of Kentucky guards, De'Aron Fox looks so good, he's so splitty, he just pops from one place to another like magic. It's a shame he can't shoot. If he keeps shooting like 10% from three who knows how deep into the lottery he'll fall.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 30, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this dude legit?

the internet says he's probably legit

It's so hard to judge guys with NBA length and speed against guys without it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

who is the long armed shut down defender sf that can't shoot who is going to be drafted in the late first round

Jaron Blossomgame is kind of like a 6'7 center and has disgustingly long arms, no jumper to speak of

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Doltos posted:

I interned for an AAU coach and by and large they're all assholes. Every single one. They only teach kids fast break and press, and even then you barely see any passing. It's no better on the girls side either.

In this day and age most kids are in some sort of competitive program by the time they're 10 and AAU is quite common among 12 year olds. That means by the time they get to high school, almost half of their life has been spent shooting jumpers from their chest, or not jumping at all on their jumpers. I had to do a tear down job on most of the girls I coached this year just to reteach them their shot at the age of 14.

This is why it might be beneficial for the sort of all tools wing who can't shoot to stay in college for 2 years, to get that creeping basketball mortality moment, it won't always be easy forever, when they are drafted they may fully commit to working on their shot, and they'll be mentally primed to change those ingrained patterns. That's my purely anecdotal evidence based opinion based on late lottery toolsy wings who've become good scorer/shooters in the NBA

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

I have no empirical evidence to back me up, but I'm of the the opposite opinion. Get to an NBA team as soon as you can because they have better coaches, you have no time restrictions on working with them and a pro team has a much bigger incentive to improve the game of a player on a four year contract they are invested in than a college does for someone who could leave and go pro any moment and they can replace with a five star recruit every year. Staying in school is only worth it if you think you could improve from undrafted to a draft pick, or jump from second rounder/late first to a lottery pick. Otherwise declare and get drafted ASAP will be best for you game long term.

You think you may have the opposite opinion but in fact we are discussing two different subjects!

I'm stealing the phrase 'basketball mortality' to describe that moment when a player who's dominated at every level realizes there are limitations to their game that other teams will exploit, things that will shorten their potential careers. If a player feels that basketball mortality in college I think it has a better chance of remaining firmly in their minds, becauase everyone expects a raw NBA rookie to struggle. So if other college teams gameplan around a super toolsy wings lack of shooting and eliminate their team from the conference tournament or what have you, that idea may stick, and they may do what they need to do to develop a shot. It's just an armchair psychological theory.

I do not disagree that the pros are the best place to learn basketball skills, my point is that it sometimes takes more than practice with good coaches to learn, there has to be a need, a deep desire, a fear of being without that thing

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ty1990 posted:

Somebody tell me about Frank Ntilikina. I've literally never seen him play but on paper he seems to have great two way potential if his 3 point shot continues to develop. Also seems like he can fit in Philly with Ben Simmons seeing as he's played off the ball most of this season.
Typical caveats apply: I've watched 2 of his games as blurry frontrowsports streams and highlights

People want to compare him to Dennis the Benice Schroder, because they have African parents but grew up in German speaking regions. But it's not true, except that theres plenty of footage of them dominating slower, shorter guards. He's bigger, bouncier they might have similar wingspans, he doesn't play at full speed or dead stop like schroeder, he has a change of pace game. He also is a much smarter passer than schroder was, has a better jumper, and just looks more like an an NBA prospect, he's not just a turbo speed little guy with massive arms as schroder was. He'll be better than Schroder, probably, he has the size to get in the way on defense and if he improves his shot he could be a good starting NBA pg.

The Pistons are so bad that I'm looking at all the late lottery pgs in hope that there's diamond in the rough to replace Reginald Val Jackson with, or that Harry Giles stays hurt, falls to them and becomes a superstar.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

Someone irl was aggressively arguing with me that Ball was better than Fultz because Fultz's TS% was 56.5% which is "below average for an NBA of prospect" (which is not true).

I think the only college stats hill I'm prepared to die on is pg/non scoring wing steals/rebounds/wingspan coefficient

Anyway, I've been watching MSU because the Pistons make me sick. Miles Bridges seems to be moving up mocks, as yet another undersized MSU player who's really good. He kind ofmakes me think of a much more explosive Jae Crowder, they have very similar body tpyes, but without the super intense defensive instincts. He knocks down threes like nothing, he finishes with ease. He could have trouble with NBA length at sf, but he's such a good shooter that he should have space. There are a lot of holes in his game and he isn't really a tenacious defender, assuming so is just MSU magical thinking. He has Potential baby and he grew up in FFFFFflint Town so I assume he's mentally tough, even if he went to basketball prep school in West Virginia for 2 years

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 18, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I really like Hartenstein more than Markannen if we're talking nordic euros in the draft. He really does have a dirk esque fadeway jumper and scoop/flip that I don't think NBA players will be able to bother, he's really big, much bigger than MArkannen, and he can handle the ball a bit. He's not as good a shooter as Markannen at this level, but I think he'll have a much easier time getting clean looks in the NBA.

How's TJ Leaf matching up with Markannen? If they are matching up at all.

I'm changing my mind a bit about Miles Bridges. He might be a 6'6 power forward unless he improves his handle and finds a way to move faster with the ball in his hands. His 3p shooting numbers are good but when I watch college teams defend the three point line, the contests are often just pathetic. His .625 ft% makes me worry since he mainly gets to the rim by bashing guys out of the way with his shoulders, and he doesn't get up high once he's there, he's got about Jae Crowder strength and athleticism but without the nimble feet. He really needs to polish his game if he wants to be more than a role player in the NBA.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lonzo Ball's FT form is disgusting

It honestly looks like the little hand movement a ballet dancer does after a plié

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ty1990 posted:

My casual observations:

His per 100 possession numbers are actually better than Ingram's. He's lengthy and has a huge ceiling defensively. Not quite as good a shooter as Ingram from 3 point range but has a better overall FG% and is a much better free throw shooter. His rebounding is pretty loving elite for his position too. Overall I think he's better defensively too, racks up a good amount of steals and blocks.

Basically, I know he plays on a better team than Ingram did and I might be talking out of my rear end but I prefer him as a prospect when comparing the two. I think there's a pretty good chance that had he been in last years class he would've went #2.
He also has about twice the physical volume as Ingram, despite only being an inch taller and 30 pounds heavier. Ingram is like a post card on a juice cleanse. Isaac is just thin. He's a really skillled player for his size and moves well. I've only seen one FSU game and haven't watched much else of him. The biggest difference between he and Ingram is that Isaac will be able to play pf and not be blown around like the famous beautiful shopping bag from the academy award winning drama American Beauty

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jota posted:

Pretty crazy that it's likely that #1 pick two years in a row will be a college player from a team that missed the tournament. I watched UCLA-Washington tonight just to see Ball and Fultz. Now I haven't watched Washington a ton, but that team around Fultz is an absolute tire fire. Should lead to some interesting takes about him not being a winner but he's so nice.

It makes me really want to know what college basketball recruiting is like. The guys are going to get millions soon anyway, so even if payoffs are involved there has to be something more. Callipari has the easy "all the best players will be here so scouts will watch every game" and Duke has "hey you can play on the various non team USA international teams and practice against NBA players"

What does Lorenzo Romar do at UW. He seems great at getting local Washington players but he's recruited top out of state guys too. All I see is that he's a charismatic guy that players like.

We know that Ben Simmons people had a prior relationship with LSU.

How did Dennis Smith jr pick NC state over the other NC colleges or other big programs?

quote:

On the first day they were permitted to, Gottfried and Wolfpack assistant Orlando Early visited Smith on the grounds of his high school, where a chartered helicopter delivered the coaches from out of a clear blue sky. More important than the attention the gesture garnered was its outcome: two months later, Smith committed to play for Gottfried.
So did the whirlybird seal the deal?

Jonathan Isaac went to the weird IMG academy in florida and is from florida, so I assume their assistant coaches had a lot of chances to talk to him.

Is it just about being a good salesman and selling yourself to some teenage boy and his parents?

Illegal gifts just can't be that meaningful for the top recruits, because they're on the cusp of millions.

If I was a basketball prospect I'd go soemwhere where I'd be featured but my flaws would be covered up, and my high school and aau coaches might be able to steer me to places with rosters like that. Although AAU coaches are pretty easy to bribe anecdotally.

Tom Izzo seems to recruit tweeners with tough upbringings as all his key players, I see a recruiting philosophy. Although they do their best to go for the top guys, a lot of whom are born in michigan but serve out 2 or 3 years of prep school in wva or virginia. I don't really blame those guys for getting the gently caress away from the places they grew up.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 5, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The whole ringer basketball staff is funny. I wish they'd get some money or affiliation with some media thing so that half of their writers didn't have to do double duty at si content farms. I miss grantland. Fansided's the stepback (good luck navigating there on your phone) http://fansided.com/nba/the-step-back/
has been surprisingly good, they have a writer who just writes about draft prospects and even if he isn't the ultra scout he does good work.

If you're bored, Mega Leks is playing at 3pm eastern today. Three of their players will probably be in the second round, Vlatko Cancar, Kashtja Mushidi, and Alpha Kaba

They're the draft prospect showoff club owned by an agent and they play a style and level of competition that makes their players look better than they are, but it's nice to be able to watch a bunch of euro prospects in a team format

http://www.vipbox.bz/basketball
If anyone knows where to get better international basketball streams, I'd appreciate it

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 12, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Ugh. I don't think Ball is a good fit with the Lakers anyway even if they do keep their pick.

I suppose you could make the argument that ball is big enough to guard sgs, so he can share the floor with D'angelo. But he's not that long or athletic, so it's not as natural an arrangement as the hand wave people want to make it seem. Also, D'angelo seems much better when hes handling the ball a lot and working in th eflow of an offense. Just sticking him to the side and asking him to play like Lou Williams or something while Lonzo is the Real pg seems like a waste of talent. I'm really afraid of Lonzo Ball as an NBA prospect, he could really contribute to the right team or he could be useless on a team without spacing and athleticism

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Yeah I don't see the Williams similarity at all
The overlapping venn diagram of Deron and D'angelo is that neither were overwhelming run/jump athlites, neither had elite first step. Both were good passers with nice instincts. Although D'angelo's passing is of a different style than Deron's. Both are 6'4/6'5 but neither is reggie jackson long.

Sidebar: Since Deron's gotten healthy it's not that hard to believe he's been able to be productive in a smaller role, because he's been athletically overmatched for a while.

The non overlapping parts are D'angelo playing really cool, he plays a very smooooth game and has a great jumper, that helps space d's to get to the lane and flick something in.
Deron was a big strong dude and got to the basket by feinting a few times, trying a cross, and shoving guys out of the way. I can't remember how he was as a shooter

De'angelo aside from being a snitch is just like a kid having fun playing pnr basketball. Deron was a tough determined I'm getting that basket motherfucker sort of guy, am I misremembering

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 27, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

Not that they're comparable, but imagine the handwringing about Lebron's jumper if he were 18 today.

MKG was drafted #2 overall with a jumper that was like a ballista tipped on its side

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I can see the Markelle Fultz D'angelo "The Mussel" Russell comparisons. They both play point in the same sort of smooth and cool way, everything looks really relaxed and they sort of bop with the ball. Markelle is just more athletic, faster, bouncier, and better, better at getting to the basket, better at shooting, just better, maybe not a better passer, but it's washington, so who knows.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Fultz is really built to destroy the modern NBA defenses provided his knee is not a permanent issue or that he's not slower than we think because he's going against college dudes.

But yeah if the Lakers get him via some miracle (I don't trust them to draft him even if they get the first anymore) he would probably be more likely to be the offensive guard with D'Angelo still passing.

I can see that happening, it's essentially running the good passing not quite so quick or strong or athletic baby James Harden who's a good passer at pg while the not root beer barrel shaped James Harden who never the less can pass starts the play without the ball, and the distraction of him alone could lead to lots of easy baskets and open threes. The fact they both shoot threes really well off the dirbble would probably trigger a that's not fair clause and default the pick to the last rigged winner, The Cleveland Cavaliers.

Any team who drafts josh jackson and expects him to be a good three point shooter might be in for a shock. His shooting form is bad, and not bad in that he needs to turn his body a quarter of a circle to shoot, like Lonzo Ball, but that he almost has to hold the balll at arms length to measure the distance to the hoop before he shoots. The spotVU studies say that defender distance for an open three is 4 feet. And if he's giving them an extra 1.5 feet, hes going to have a hard time finding a comfortable open three.

And if you can only make wide open threes yet you're athletic and long and so on, that makes you Reggie Bullock. That's ignoring Jackson's defense and pasing and so on, of course.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Josh Jackson is a less broken MKG, which is a borderline all-star player.

Josh Jackson also doesn't throw his body after loose balls like he's been kicked out of a speeding car, so he should stay healthier than MKG

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

aBagorn posted:

Yeah I could definitely could see Boston taking him #1

Markelle Fultz would mean they could trade one of Avery/Smart/or even IT for a big haul of picks, I think their contracts are both expiring pretty soon, and it means they wouldn't have to lose all their shot creation in offense/defense situations. I think he's pretty hard to resist. I''lll have to watch more condensed Washington games on yotube to really know for sure. IT is an amazing offensive player and he can get something from nothing all the time, but he's tiny and in the playoffs that matters.

Fultz ideally is a nearly perfect contemporary NBA pg, he shoots threes off the dribble with ease, he finds open teammates off of penetration, he converts at the rim, and he's athletic and long enough to give his helpers and bigs those extra half seconds to get into position. IT also went to Washington, maybe they can get some alumni synergy with Fultz playing off ball, or vice versa.

I'm not ready to give up on my "Jaylen brown might be a bust or it might take 4 years for him to be decent" prediction, but they're stocked up on tweener forwards with Crowder, Brown, Then potentially Josh Jackson. You could argue that gives them a better chance against aging Lebron. Detroit beats Cleveland when Cleveland doesn't shoot 50% on three pointers because they have so many big wings to throw at Lebron.

I wish Dennis Smith wasn't on such an awful team, because he looks so good at times. His three point shooting is awful but his ft% and fg% are solid. mostly he looks like the sort of bombs away wait was that a travel 30 points per game late 90s early 2000s pg. But if he had teammates to pass to, maybe he'd look more like a pure point.

He's a bucket getter and has turbo speed like few guys in the NBA, like younger Lebron, John Wall, Russel Westbrook, where a normal dribble will hit the court and he'll turn the afterburners on and be at the rim, past four guys. His agility and quickness also let him rocket around at weird angles and potentially be a great defender, sort of like Westbrook, you'd want him to stick the plan rather than freelance of course.

Back to Ntilikina, he doesn't seem as zippy as the other guys, but he seems a lot longer. It's hard because in the non camp video he's playing competition between like really good high school team and division 2 college teams, and he easily just drives through a crowd. IT doesn't tell you much about him. In the camp videos you see a bit of his passing, you see his sort of in progress jumper. On defense he's like a more athletic George Hill, obviously without all the knowledge and skill, but he has the desire and body type to be a very good 1/2 defender. I think he'll be a clearly better player than Dennis Schroder, even if he isnt as lightning quick, his length and passing ability make him stand out. That's just an african-german heritage recent NBA player comp and feel free to put me into lazy comp jail over it. Schroder is a waterbug type who hasn't ever turned his wingspan into decent NBA defense, and never really defended before getting to the NBA. Ntilikina sees the game like a pg, he tries on defense, he'll need to make an adjustment to length and speed. Developing a decent three is really important for him, less so than say, Dennis Smith Jr, because he's not a super athlete.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 14, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

in my way too early, hyperbolic opinion Fultz is Dwyane Wade with better passing and three point range. I think he could be a top 20 player all time.

He is also a lot less polished and a bit worse/lazy defensively.

He doesn't have the craftiness of Wade but the ability to slither through a defense at will is there. Shooting threes at a high % off the dribble automatically makes him a good player. He moves like he can feel the game coming to him, like he's anticipating defenders and and knows where his fit are going to tap as he slings around them.
Defense is definitely a question. Hopefully he goes somewhere with a former euroleague tough guy pg to yell at him and get the idea in his head.

quote:

I think he'll be much better prepared coming into the league than Schroder was. I think he's a lot more polished than people realize and it's looking like his shot is good enough that he could log time at SG if necessary.

Watch the FIBA U18 videos from December; whoever is teaching him is smart and has focused on running/defending the P+R, 3 point shot, and defense.

I didn't even really mean it as a comp, just as a sort of reference for an african-heritage german pg with long arms who, on video, walked through german league defenses like they weren't there. Their frames are different, they move differently, and think differently.

You're right, and I'd say he's about as quick/athletic as Reggie Jackson pre knee destruction/ that is to say, pretty good, not incredible.

I think his comp is really a bigger George Hill with better passing, if you had to make a comp. With all the pgs who are really combo guards who are really tiny shooting guards, that's a valuable sort of player to have. Because you could play two guard lineups and not suffer on defense, theoretically. Maybe you could compare him to what Dante Exum was supposed to be but with less emphasis on scoring?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 14, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I like Dennis Smith a lot and if it wasn't for the fact he already had an ACL injury I'd probably be willing to be talked into picking him ahead of Ball.

I think he's had good coaching, because post ACL he moves well, his feet point in the right direction, he lands on two feet and makes little pitter patter steps to disperse force. He doesn't soar when he jumps, like Westbrook or Lavine, but he can jump laterally and cover tons of space without comprising his joints.

The threee questions about him are, will he learn to shoot threes, how is his passing, and will he play defense, and that is the question. there's some sense that he's just not that interested in it, we'll see.

Ball's questions are longer

Can his 15 minute shot work against NBA defenders, is he quick enough to defending opposing pgs/is he agiles/strong enough to defend wings otherwise. Can he get to the basket and convert against NBA defenders. His worst case scenario is Michael Carter Williams, but he's a lot faster and a lot better shooter, and he didn't go to syracuse so it's possible that he'll play defense at some point. They have almost identical bodies, So it really is important that Ball can defend some position or is part of a system that uses his length and minimizes his lack of girth.

I think his floor is high, because Rubio leads pgs in RAPM (ignoring statistical priors and so on bumping him up a bit) despite not being able to make layups and only shooting 35% from three. simply on great passing and defense.

Ball has high basketball iq, he knows how to move his body to shield himself at the basket, he attacks defense when it's asleep, he's a really good basketball player. If his weird 3 point shot works in the NBA, he's a good point guard. I don't know if its possible to be a great NBA pg if you don't make quick off the dribble threes like they're layups, but he could definitely be good. His teammates seem to genuinely be happy to share the floor with him, and that shouldn't be discounted. If your teammates loving hate how you run the team (Reggie Jackson) you hurt your team. I don't see pure Joy in guys playing with Dennis Smith, but there's not that much to see. Markelle Fultz's teammates just seem to shake their heads at the idea that he did what he did.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 14, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Charlz Guybon posted:

Have you watched a Celtics game in the last six weeks? You should definitely give it up.
I have, I even put him on my fantasy team. But I need a full year or so before I believe it. He literally couldn't make layups in college despite being incredibly explosive, long, and athletic. He couldn't make layups. And forget jumpers.

He still isn't very good at making layups, his offense comes mostly as a product of IT scrambling defenses with Horford making guys stick to him on the elbow, and catching good passes on cuts, and attacking guys who don't understand how athletic he is to drive around them for dunks. He still can't shoot, his handle is just alright. His upside is that he should be able to defend 1-4. But his good defensive plays come mostly from his body and length, not his mind. His basketball IQ needs to be increased by wearing strobe light glasses or however that's done. That's okay for a rookie. If he wasn't on the celtics he could look as pathetic as Mudiay or someone like that.

He's still a big flashing sign that says POTENTIAL and a bigger flashing sign pointing to the other sign that says BUST??? And then another sign that says Future Solid Role Player in medium type

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Charlz Guybon posted:

February FG% .492 & 3P% .455
March FG% .519 & 3P% .400

I Would curtail my expectations. He has the luxury of a good coach and versatile players so that he never has to play outside himself. Making dead open threes is something NBA players should be able to do. Making alley oops and one dribble off a cut is something a person with his body should be able to do.

Just don't get your hopes up and assume he's the next Jimmy Butler. He has a lot to learn and is very exploitable

In a perfect world he learns the game and the Celtics have another player to guard Lebron, and an easy shot maker for when the offense is rolling.

But it's just two months, and players get scouted, numbers drop. Keep your expectations in check

I don't know why I felt the need to rain on your parade. The NBA has made me jaded about rookies who inexplicably look great. Their coaching is good enough that he could be like the Longer more athletic low basketball iq (although he's apparently very book smart) version of Jae Crowder that they need to guard the Cavs and Pistons

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 14, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chilihead posted:

If the Suns win the lottery do they have a draft day trade of Bledsoe or do they wait till in-season?

Sarver is a cheapskate, so if they could make a trade without taking salary back, get picks and cash, they'd probably do it. Maybe a trade that also got rid of Tyson Chandler.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Click my post history for thousand posts trying to talk myself out of believing Josh Jackson being the best player in college basketball.

He matched up well with MilesBridges who's a bit smaller and maybe even more athletic, one on one, that gave me more faith in him. But I wouldn't draft him 1 without a haircut. Miles Bridges is a work in progress

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Only prospect that matters

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dejan-Todorovic-48923/

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Rick and I already had an exchange about being terrified of Lonzo Ball for exactly the reason everyone saw last night. So I'm sorry the Lakers will end up with the third pick and draft him. His really smart passing will make some nice highlights though. He's more of a gamble than the athletic no skill centers and undersized pfs and the high skill medium athleticism medium length bigs later in the lottery.

Dennis Smith isn't explosive, he's like a little hydraulic powered novelty man who shoots off the court and up to the rim. He's going to be an NBA bucket getter, and that will open up passing lanes, then he'll learn to be a pg, and in 3 years we'll laugh about how far he's going to slide in the lottery. All that handle that Ball doesn't have, Smith has, all the athleticism too. He's a good enough scorer that he'll figure out how to be at least an average 3p shooter. He has The Look when he's scoring. I like that he had the bravado to join a really lovely team with a random Turkish guy in hopes of making it the best NC team, even if it didn't work out because he doesn't make his teammates better and 0m3r Yurt7 didn't play well with him.

Rick posted:

This is like the draft of guys who would've had a lot easier time in the league ten years ago. Fox has like this amazing hand speed which makes him do some pretty crazy defensive things, but the NBA is a pick or screen league right now and there's just no way someone that size can fight through them. He's going to be one of the worst defenders in the league, and throw in bad shooting, and as fun as he is, poo poo is bleak for him.

I dunno, maybe the fact that there's so many throwbacks entering the league, in a few years things will shift back in their direction out of necessity.

Yeah, so many FATALLY FLAWED guys, it's hard to see who'll shake out, so I'll just trust the length athleticism steals rubric. Josh Jackson is getting more athletic Jimmy Butler comparisons, but I think it's because Josh has consciously patterned himself after Jimmy Butler, they're both like 6'8 without extremely long arms. Jackson has more burst and more poppity pop. Jackson plays defense but Jimmy Butler was molded into a master defender by Tommy Thibodeau, but Jackson cares about defense, that's a good thing. I see him settling for fallaway midrange jumpers, and he makes them, but against NBA length, will he, if that's how you get most of your points in the NBA, you're really a superstar or bucket getting bench scorer only. He'll have to change the pattern of his game a bit.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 25, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ty1990 posted:

Somebody tell me I'm not crazy to think that a lot of Dennis Smith's issues can be fixed by nba coaching/a better supporting cast/giving a poo poo.

Or is this me talking myself into him in case Philly doesn't get a top 3 pick?

Rick and I agree that this is the case. Philadelphia has 2 eventually good NBA starter caliber point forwards, so a scoring pg without great distributive instincts shouldn't be disruptive. Let him by the Kyrie to Saric or Gilles Bensimmons's Lebron.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Specifically, check out the FIBA U18 tournament video from December.

Ntilikina is sort of what they sold Dennis Schroeder as, despite Schroeder not being that and not ever showing it. That is to say, he's a very defensive minded player who actually will use his freakish arms to play tough d. Everything else is a work in progress, his quickness and athleticism aren't that impressive against Bundesliga players, so he might have a tough time. He's definitely more of a pure point in mindset, he doesn't want to attack the basket every time like Schroder and he cares about defense. His shot is improving but I don't know about it or his finishing against NBA length/speed. This is the reason he's falling to 10 or so in mocks, drafting him is drafting his body and defensive intensity and performance in u18, not his production in bundesliga or his athleticisms/elite skill.

Defense first pgs who can guard both 1 and 2s can be valuable if they make threes. His ceiling on any team but the Mavericks is a very useful complimentary starter, like George Hill. On the Mavericks, with Carlisle, it's probably MVP

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Does anyone have an opinion of Zach Collins?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Crazy Ted posted:

I don't think that's a weird thing to notice. That's probably not a bad trait for an NBA prospect to have. On the flip side, if a team were to take Grayson Allen the NBA would loving eat him alive because every single opponent would find exactly what button to push to set him off at a moment's notice and do something real stupid to hurt himself and his team.

Good sportsmanship is something I appreciate. In watching condensed Gonzaga games he looks to be as advertised, a pretty mobile 7 footer who has a frame to get stronger and who shoots pretty well, although again another white big who's projected as a stretch big despite shooting very few threes at a mediocre percentage in college.

It looks like the pistons will have their choice of Collins, TJ Leaf, who's a nice intangibles guy who could be a 3rd big man fixture for years or could be absolutely nothing, I'm not sure, Markannen, who might be good but I can't tell, and Miles Bridges, who I really like, but If they draft Bridges they really need to trade someone because their 2-3-4 tweener sack is stuffed to the brim. KCP will probably get a max offer sheet from the Nets and I think it would be stupid to let him go. If the team keeps losing they can trade him in a year and at least get some value in return. Marcus Morris's contract is a great value and he's the toughest defender and emotional core of the team. Stanley Johnson might wash out of the league because of his haircut. Reggie Bullock shows flashes of competence until teams put him on the scouting report and he goes back to the end of the rotation. Darrun Hilliard looks like he could be a 7 minute per game player. Michael Gbinje hasn't really had a chance to show anything. then you have Tobias Harris who gets buckets. But that is a loving pile of tweeners.

Tobias Harris has proven himself a real scorer and I think was humbled when Orlando traded him for nothing and I'd hate to see him leave, but if they could package him and Reggie Jackson for salary filler and a pick from 19-25 to roll the dice and draft Harry Giles, plus an early second round pick to select Edmond Sumner, I would be happy.

The team has to be built around guys who play tough and don't pout, specifically because Andre Drummond mirrors the emotion of his point guard, Brandon Jennings made him tough and joyful, Ish Smith got him to pass the ball, Reggie Jackson got him to sulk and play soft on defense. He's a lamb. He needs a good shepherd of a pg to make him play hard on defense and hard roll on offense and stop worrying about fouls like he's so precious an extra 3 minutes without him will end the team's chance at winning.

Other random guys I've watched lately that seem to have some game: Jordan Bell, specifically as a Tristan Thompson esque small ball center as needed and just a high flying energy guy otherwise, and kobi simmons from Arizona as a one man fast breaking instant offense bench unit scoring skinny fella.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 8, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Small ball center is not a thing right. He's just a small center .

Maybe you are using it right idk.

Tristan Thompson, a guy who can guard the rim but switch multiple positions and rebound. The rich man's small ball center is Draymond Green who can do that stuff and help orchestrate actions and make pnrs vary danger-ouse. I'm just saying that's Jordan Bell's potential. For now he's a pf with good weakside shoot blocking instincts who can't shoot

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 9, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Markkanen is maybe the most decisive player in the draft, but I stand by my opinion that he's gonna be one of the three best players in the draft.

But even with that decisiveness he's not going to fall to 11.

Do you think he can play adequate defense at centre againste NBA players

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

iLoveMarkkanen

he will be a good nba mans

I'm not Rick and I never will be barring some sort of Face/Off scenario but I wouldn't really care if he could defend post players since there are so few of those and he's so versatile offensively that his defense almost doesn't matter, just like that one German blonde guy in his prime

He's not an amazing rebounder but he's pretty agile for his size so I can't imagine switching on pick and rolls will be a huge deal for him, I figure he'll struggle against the Andre Drummonds and DeAndre Jordans of the world but most NBA centers do

His super fast release is great, I like the way he dribbles when he has space, I like the way he completely ignores contests by smaller players. I don't like the way he shys away from contact at the basket. I suppose if his college offensive game translates 1:1 he only needs to be as good as a bad plumlee on defense to not be a net negative.

Of the Dirk players in the draft I prefer Hartenstein although the only games I've seen of his have been against poor competition. But he's so much more mobile, laterally quick, and athletic than Markannen. He can truly handle the ball and he has no problem dribbling into the defense and getting an easy layup. His shooting form reminds me of a quicker version of Buddy Hield's. He also has dirk esque fadeaways, markannen does them a bit from the elbow but Hartenstein will do it anywhere.

He' s not as large as Markannen, but I think that might be to his benefit, because he can more naturally play pf.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 10, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

OG Anunoby declared for the draft. Someone please tell me how excited I should be if the Kings miss out on Issac and get to choose between him and Bridges

He would have gone several spots higher had he not been injured. He's a tough wing defender who might hit shots type. It just takes like 3 years for indiana players to show anything in the NBA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

If you just watch a highlight video of Issac he looks amazing. If you watch games, he usually looks amazing for like five minutes and then you realize he didn't do anything else the entire game even though he was on the floor.

He is raw, but does make some crazy athletic plays and can score in bunches, he runs, he shoots well , he does almost everything non-physical, but either the defense quickly adjusts to him (he cannot take physical play at all . . . this was somewhat mitigated by the fact that Florida State had a team you did not want to get physical with overall) or he just becomes completely disengaged in the game when it's not about him.

I feel like he has some of the biggest upside-downside swings of the top 10 guys but most people are fully embracing the upside possibility.

He has strong Ibaka vibes beyond the shot blocker who shoots threes thing, the lack of in between game, the disengagement when his guards are off playing reindeer games.

He could either be a perfect role player, a backup with some skills, or a very good player if he puts everything together on the right team.

I think Noel is a test case for how important it is for players like Isaac to get to play in the right situation. If a lot of your game comes from your mobility and ability to run the floor, it's easy to get discouraged if your guards are poo poo (is Dwayne Bacon good or did Jonathan Isaac just make him look good, he's being mocked in the early 20s. I kind of like him because he's so poppy and bippy, but his basketball IQ is low low low) and you don't get the ball despite putting in all the effort.

morestuff posted:

Is Isaac the standard "big dude, long arms, who knows" guy? Watching clips he reminds me of Vonleh from a few years back

Edit: I guess Vonleh was 50 pounds heavier so, uh nevermind

Isaac is to Vonleh what Markannen is to Henry Ellenson, Isaac and Markannen have both showed in games that they can do the stuff they're said to be able to do, Ellenson and Vonleh were just like,"well he's decent at this one thing so he should be good at this other thing too eventually"

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 12, 2017

• Locked thread