Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

Chad Ford with a lot of crazy maybe bullshit rumors. Short version: Celtics might take Josh Jackson st No. 1, Lakers looking for trades, Kennard sneaking into the top 10

Please God

quote:

Latest NBA draft intel on Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, Lonzo Ball, Josh Jackson and more
by Chad Ford on 2017-06-11 02:09:00 UTC (original: http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider...sh-jackson-more)

This year, draft talk is circulating even more than usual, especially at the top of the draft. NBA general managers, scouts and agents are putting the puzzle together, and I'm on the phone with them all day, every day, trying to sort out solid information from rumors.

Here are three major items from GMs with strong track records of truth-telling at this time of year, involving the No. 1 pick, the No. 2 pick and fast-rising Duke star Luke Kennard.

Celtics might pull a surprise at No. 1
Markelle Fultz has been atop my Big Board since version 2.0, and his only real challenger most of the year has been Lonzo Ball.

But Josh Jackson, who was No. 1 on Big Board 1.0, has emerged as an intriguing option for the Celtics and team president Danny Ainge (even though he canceled a workout with Boston this week, according to ESPN's Jeff Goodman and Marc Spears).

2017 NBA draft
Get ready for Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball and the 2017 draft, with analysis from Chad Ford and other ESPN experts.

• Mock Draft 6.2
• Big Board 7.2
• Who's in, who's out?
• Ford: Top 100 prospect rankings

"I've picked Danny's brain for years," one GM said. "Jackson is an Ainge player all the way. Tough, athletic, long, versatile, elite motor. If he's keeping the pick, Jackson just to me, far and away, is the most Celtics-type player for them to draft. From all my conversations with them, I'm convinced they'll take Jackson No. 1."

He's correct in that Jackson fits the prototypical Celtics mold. Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown all fit that description, and all were first-round selections by Boston (Rondo via trade).

Jackson has yet to work out for the Celtics, according to his agent, B.J. Armstrong, who said that Jackson has worked out twice for the Lakers and once for the 76ers. Jackson is also scheduled to work out for the Suns before the draft.

"We have great respect for Boston and Danny Ainge," Armstrong said. "That's a championship-caliber organization and Josh brings the things that I know Danny values. He can defend his position at an elite level. He can rebound for his position at an elite level and he can pass for his position at an elite level. All the championship-caliber teams are looking for players who can do those three things. And I know they want winners.

"We're in dialogue with Boston. We're very respectful of them. They have the No. 1 pick and can select whoever they choose. We just need to see how things play out over the next week."

While Armstrong declined to give specifics about why Jackson hasn't worked out there, other league sources believe that it's likely that Jackson's camp feels that both the Lakers and Sixers would give Jackson a larger role from day one.

A number of agents have expressed concerns that the Celtics might not have enough playing time for their clients to develop properly, given the depth and experience of their roster. (Ball also declined a workout with Boston.)

Fit is a question mark for Jackson as well, with both Jaylen Brown and Jae Crowder already on the roster.

Don't the Celtics need players with differing skill sets? Isn't Jackson a bit duplicative, especially given the arrival of Brown last year?

Another GM doesn't see it that way.

"Jackson will be better than all of those guys [at his position in Boston]," the GM said. "Danny's looking for a star, and I think Jackson has as much or more star potential than Fultz or Ball. Everyone on the Celtics is an asset. Danny can move them all. He'll take the player he likes the best. Period. He'll figure out fit in the summer."

What do the Celtics have to say about this? They're staying mum on whom they're taking No. 1, but a source says the franchise is strongly considering options other than Fultz and that Jackson is one of those options.

"We like him a lot," the Celtics source said. "But we like several guys a lot. We've got a week to figure it out."

If Jackson doesn't work out for Boston, would that scare the Celtics away? "Absolutely not," a Celtics source said. "That's true for Josh and Lonzo and anyone else. We've done our homework. The workouts are nice, but they're not mandatory. We'll select the best player."

Scraped at insider2text.xyz, brought to you by HeheStreams — No ads, No Bullshit Live & On-Demand NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL Streaming

Will the Lakers trade the No. 2 pick?
It's a big week in L.A. Fultz held his first workout with the Lakers on Thursday, while Ball will work out for the team a second time on Friday. The session will take place at an undisclosed location where Ball can demonstrate his work ethic, a source told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne. Additionally, the Lakers are working toward finalizing a first workout with Jayson Tatum this weekend.

Add future workouts from Jackson and De'Aaron Fox to that equation, and we'll have a good idea whom the Lakers are looking to draft with the No. 2 pick. Sources say that if the Lakers keep their current pick, it's down to those five players.

The top candidates, according to sources, are Fultz, Jackson and Ball, and the latter still appears to be the team's favorite.

But another scenario has piqued the franchise's interest. The Lakers held internal discussions about trading back two spots to No. 4 if the Suns were to offer them a 2018 first-round pick. The Suns hold their own 2018 pick (which currently projects to be a high lottery pick) as well as the rights to the Miami Heat's 2018 pick. The latter pick is top-seven-protected in 2018 but unprotected in 2019.

The Lakers believe that Ball or Jackson might be available at the No. 4 spot. If not, the Lakers are still very high on Fox and Tatum, and believe that securing an additional prospect might be worth dropping two spots in the draft.

The Kings are another potential trade partner for the Lakers. They hold the rights to the fifth and 10th picks and have discussed moving up in this year's draft.

At No. 5, the Lakers might still be able to choose between Fox and Tatum (and potentially Ball), or just take the best prospect who's available. And at No. 10, other strong prospects -- such as Malik Monk, Dennis Smith, Frank Ntilikina, Lauri Markkanen, Kennard and/or Zach Collins -- would likely still be on the board. (It should be noted that the Lakers are not considering taking Smith with the No. 2 pick.)

The Lakers are looking for strong shooters, and several of the aforementioned prospects would help the franchise fill that void.

"The draft is so deep, it might be worth dropping out of the top two to get a couple of potential All-Stars," one rival GM said. "I'm not sure the gap between guys like Fox, Tatum and [Jonathan] Isaac is big enough to stop the Lakers from pulling the trigger. They'd be able to address two needs at really affordable contracts."

From what I'm hearing, it sounds like the Lakers are unwilling to trade their pick if it means dropping out of the top five spots in the draft. They want to get at least one young player with star potential out of this draft, and feel confident they can acquire a veteran star during free agency in 2018.

The hot name moving up fastest: Luke Kennard
Kennard has been a polarizing prospect, but a consensus is starting to form among teams that have evaluated him recently.

He started the college season as a fringe first-round prospect, but in recent weeks he's moved up fast. Based on conversations with GMs this week, I put him in the third tier of first-round-caliber players, but teams are increasingly grouping him with other second-tier prospects.

Kennard has worked out for the Lakers, Knicks, Pistons, Heat and Pacers. He still has workouts scheduled with the Magic, Mavericks and Hornets.

The feedback from teams has been overwhelmingly positive.

"There's no way he gets to us," one GM in the late lottery said. "I don't think there's any way he's out of the top 10. We think he's the best shooter in the draft. We think he's tough. He's more athletic than you think. He really thinks the game. He's the most underrated guy in this draft."

"He's ranked ahead of Malik Monk on our board," another GM said. "He's not as athletic, but he has a much more versatile game and he's less streaky. Monk will be great. An instant scorer coming off the bench. But we think Kennard could be a full-time starter in the league."

Shooting comes at a premium right now in the NBA, and that partially explains the rise in Kennard's stock. But most teams see the former Blue Devil as more than just a shooter.

Right now it looks like the Pistons at No. 12 are Kennard's floor. But he could go higher. The Knicks, according to a team source, are seriously considering taking him at No. 8. And a Lakers source said he'd be a favorite if the team ends up with a second pick in the top 10.

It's telling that Kennard rocketed up once the coaches got chances to watch college prospects. They're acting like he's Jamal Murray but smaller, slower and less agile. Coaches

The Jackson thing is a nice idea in theory, he and Fox probably have the highest ceilings in the draft, but if he's just a slightly better Jaylen Brown then he could lose his job. And if we know Danny Ainge we know a man who wants to be the Gm of the celtics for as long as he lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Thank you for posting the Insider article. I wonder if they get any new subscribers or if it's all people who've been grandfathered in since a different era of media?

It'd be fun if Jackson shot back up to #1 like he was so many months ago when I first made this thread and could barely google pictures of him

I think of it as fine at drafting and abysmal at developing.

He's also Zach Lowe-ish thin-skinned and tends to respond to twitter criticism by getting up in people's DMs lol

I've heard an espn NBA producer/editor and NFL producer/editor say they do the highest pageviews on the insider "way too early" mock drafts that come straight after the draft, it's their most reliable thing, college football recruiting/scouting, NFL draft, and NBA draft. That's why it's the only stuff, aside from Kevin Pelton's "poor man's zogo" work, and gambling tips, that has a paywall

Everyone needs to stop writing DSJ, I don't know who started it but there's nobody in the NBA named Dennis Smith. We can just say Dennis or Dennis Smith. It's driving me crazy.

Kennard, Markannen, Donovan Mitchell, Anuboby if he's not too hurt, also fit that line

morestuff posted:

Chad's out of a job after this draft and apparently doesn't really need the work. I would definitely be trying to create chaos for no real reason
That would be very funny

Here's his latest list of picks 1. Boston Celtics (via Nets) - Markelle Fultz

quote:

2. L.A. Lakers - Lonzo Ball

3. Philadelphia 76ers - Josh Jackson

4. Phoenix Suns - De'Aaron Fox

5. Sacramento Kings - Jayson Tatum

6. Orlando Magic - Jonathan Isaac

7. Minnesota Timberwolves - Lauri Markkanen

8. New York Knicks - Malik Monk

9. Dallas Mavericks - Dennis Smith

10. Sacramento Kings (via Pelicans) - Frank Ntilikina

11. Charlotte Hornets - Donovan Mitchell

12. Detroit Pistons - Luke Kennard

13. Denver Nuggets - OG Anunoby

14. Miami Heat - Zach Collins

15. Portland Trail Blazers - Harry Giles

16. Chicago Bulls - John Collins

17. Milwaukee Bucks - Ike Anigbogu

18. Indiana Pacers - TJ Leaf

19. Atlanta Hawks - Jarrett Allen

20. Portland Trail Blazers - Edrice Adebayo

21. Oklahoma City Thunder - Justin Jackson

22. Brooklyn Nets - Justin Patton

23. Toronto Raptors - Andzejs Pasecniks

24. Utah Jazz - Tony Bradley

25. Orlando Magic - Frank Jackson

26. Portland Trail Blazers - Isaiah Hartenstein

27. Brooklyn Nets - Terrance Ferguson

28. Los Angeles Lakers - D.J. Wilson

29. San Antonio Spurs - Jordan Bell

30. Utah Jazz - Tyler Lydon
Blah, nothing much contrary to the other mocks except Giles and Kennard rising, Terrance Ferguson plummetting
http://insider2text.xyz/articles/cadfb3b11abe0875 Here's two revisions ago with flavor copy

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 16, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/875821195563847683

So much for the Lakers mucking things up and taking Jackson

Did they know they were working out Josh Jackson

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If Ainge's plan is to try and win now and go for Butler and Hayward I will laugh as they still get crushed by the Cavs.

Trading away a sure thing 1st pick for a dice roll third pick and a future high lottery pick sounds more like building for the future than trying to win now

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Oh I see aBagorn. I don't think they would go for Jimmy Butt if they signed Gordo Haywand. But that's just me, a simple man, an american patriot, proud, because at least I know I'm free, and I won't cheer, for a canadian player, because carl towns dont play D, and Ill gladly stand up, at the Q, and kiss the boobie gibson statue still today, and I'm so proud, I love this land, ball bless, the NBAAaaa

rabidsquid posted:

the pistons dont have a second rounder but seem to be exclusively working out dudes they should never take at the number twelve pick. pretty excited for them to gently caress this up. i miss joe dumars ability to draft shooting guards who remind him of himself.

Man his simple draft totem of taking southern shooting guards from SEC and deep south schools who are pretty athletic and can shoot just paid out like 80% of the time. Joe Dumars was a master value drafter, if he hadn't hosed up with Darko people would think of him as the best drafting GM of the last generation. He picked Afflalo, Khris Middleton, and Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko(Who was amazingly athletic in addition to his shooting before he tore his achilles), and Mehmet Okur in the 2nd round, he picked Amir with the last pick or second to last pick. He picked Tayshaun Prince 23rd, Jason Maxiell 26th, Andre Drummond 9th. He got so much value per pick with only one pick above 7 ever, drafting a superstar, or a supercar, oh my god, he was rolling mane, he was rolling hard

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 17, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

he drafted my sworn enemy kyle singler he is bad

You'll remember that Kyle Singler was a solid player when allowed to handle the ball and intiate offense in Detroit, promising enough to be part of the Reggie Jackson trade (or the Stan getting rid of every single player Joe Dumars drafted except the obvious star lottery pick types after gutting the front office down to the training staff because he and Tom Gores are both black-haired pot-bellied fucks) It was being forced into the role of spot up shooter and living in the worst state in America that destroyed him as a human being

The Nets should trade a late 2nd round pick for Kyle Singler

rabidsquid posted:

KCP/Afflalo/Middleton was a really great hit rate, also i remember when they were developing Amir Johnson and just let him take 10,000 shots a game in the d league.

after seeing some of the names the team is working out now i would actually be thrilled if they just straight up got Donovan Mitchell i think. i don't know if i trust SVGs drafting at all.

His pattern so far is to draft anyone who shot in college and handled the ball a little bit regardless of important tools and context questions, and drafted players who may have slipped from late first to early second because of college injuries, and it's netted Darrun Hilliard, Michael Gbinje, Henry Ellenson, and Spencer Dinwiddie. What a pack of alpha males, what a stud farm he's got going. To be fair, Hillard looked like a potential 10th man at times and Gbinje was hurt. But MV called Ellenson sucking straight away and he's continued to do that everywhere but Summer league and the D league. Dinwiddie is a clarion call to all GMs, don't loving pick a tall pg whose only special tool is his height. It doesn't work. I love moustache Dinwiddie though and I hope he develops a three so he can stay in the NBA. Van Gundy is a stupid rear end in a top hat who got rid of some of the best scouts in the NBA so guys from Orlando could continue their mediocrity in a colder city.

Based on that pattern I would guess he drafts :mad: Kennard or :kiss: Donovan Mitchell. Maaaybe Zach Collins if they realize how bad Ellenson is \

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 17, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

sir if he lived in mississippi that was his choice

:grovertoot: So now you're going insult the gulf coast after so many lost their livelihoods due to the deepwater horizon oil spill :hydrogen: :nono:

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Tom Gores had an affair...with his brother's wife.

That's some low down dirty rear end poo poo.

He's a loving piece of poo poo and is partially responsible for all the time you've had to spend navigating automated phone trees :honk:
Bill Davidson and all the workers who died due to exposure to volatiles at your tire factory RIP

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 17, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tell me about Terrence Ferguson.

When we do player comps we're usually just using an accessible archetype to fill in the big gaps left when you haven't observed someone, but he is Terrence Ross. They could be brothers. We don't know if he'll be a rich man's T Ross, a poor man's, or something else, but he was not good in Australia this year, but to be fair that league is physical and the 2 or 3 other NBA rotation players who went there instead of college didn't look like anything in their rookie seasons in the ABL.

He's an incredibly agile and athletic and long wing who has a great jumper, but the only other thing he can do is make straight line drives toward the rim. No defense, no passing, no special handle, but he's got Tools baby, and maybe you get lucky and he works hard in the G league, and becomes a steal, now that he's being mocked to good teams at the bottom pf the first. What if he falls to the Warriors and becomes the player who gives them an excuse to trade Klay Thompson in 2 years. (There is .0001% chance of that happening). What if he replaces Danny Green with an all star level shooter and defender for the Spurs?

I'm overplaying the possibilities. Odds are that if he makes it as an NBA player, it will be as a backup shooter who occasionally makes huge dunks off of cuts and alley oops

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Isaiah Hartenstein got a half sleeve, proof he's going to succeed in the NBA, like Marcin Gortat and Pero Antic

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 17, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I've watched a pretty decent amount of Dennis Smith video and I've never seen "bad body language." Ben Simmons realizing that his team was awful and playing with a hangdog expression from start to finish, that's pretty bad body language, but it was more a failure of socialization due to weird Australian Institute of Sport stuff I've talked about in the past. Smith would get mad at his teammates for not catching easy passes, because they dropped a ton of easy passes.

I see all his problems as fixable. (Cheers for me) He was labeled a bad defender, but he tried, he gave a strong effort, he'd do ridiculous stuff like pressure the ballhandler at midcourt, he simply wasn't very effective and would have been much better in a scheme that constrained his roaming and rambling. But he tried, and that's the cornerstone of good pg defense, he can learn how to do it right.

The turnovers came from his teammates dropping passes and him trying to create something out of nothing. The one handedness is something tons of players fix with work and time. As long as he makes threes off the dribble he's going to be a really good NBA player.

I saw someone say Lonzo made his teammates better and Dennis Smith didn't, but those players Lonzo made better were 5 star and 4 star recruits plus some shooters and hustle guys, the team was built to his strengths, with a playmaking forward to take up for his deficiencies in the half court, and solid rollers and shooters. Dennis Smith had Yurt7 who was just terrible at everything and a bunch of run of the mill players. He isn't the same kind of elite passer, but he can and does see those little apertures open before they open, and makes the pass, that's what you hope for from a good prospect.

I don't know why I'm arguing against persons not present. In the distant past, Bill Simmons would make fun of draft guys for talking about length, because of 6'10 small forward failures. I think the NBA has gotten realistic about pairing length with drive and skill, but tall and long pgs still get a bump they don't deserve. I see them as matchup players, in the way big burly post up centers have become match up players.
Lots of teams have smaller bucket getter type backup pgs, so if your pg is tall and can pass over them, use their length to shoot above them, that's nice. But it's not worth the draft capital that scouts seem to be placing 'pon it. We can observe the wreckage of tall non shooting PGs in the NBA, it's a bleak landscape. Lonzo really needs to either fix his shot or hope to god it still goes in from the "you throw like a girl" shoulder push position

WhyteRyce posted:

Meh, Rudy was actually relatively solid for us and part of the appeal is getting to hit a reset button on a cost controlled Rudy

There's also the Duke curse to consider

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Can you give me a cliff notes version?

Australian kids recognized as potentially elite athletes sent to central locations for constant training, attend nearby public schools and are raised above the other kids in a personality cult style, far beyond the sort of athlete feting we're familiar with in America.

Not to say that american kids who switch between 80 person private christian schools and just play basketball are leagues better, we can see their weirdness and cowardice regularly, but AIS has produced a lot of weird chokers

My friend Jack went to school with a bunch of them and gave me the low down

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Not only the severity of his injury but the fact that he ended last season with a big injury as well. So he's going to have to be taught how to move without destroying his loving weird body. Still, 6-8 spots isn't that meaningful once you get past the top of the lottery

The draft's 3 days from today and then we can talk about LUKA DONCIC the hunchbacked slovenian basketball messiah whose career will be destroyed by injuries like Wally Sczerbiak and Mike Miller (Both personally called to Lebron's teams by Lebron himself because he loves grit and hustle ;) ) if he doesn't rectify poor movement patterns

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 18, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Tatum is literally Rudy Gay 2.0

You can really plug in any 6'8ish 3/4 scorer not a passer not a defender type that suits your fancy or your opinion of him, Tobias Harris, Harrison Barnes, a less good than young Carmelo Carmelo anthony, it doesn't quite describe him. He's a 3/4 who can score from isolation, shoots well from the midrange but not from three, and can get to the rim despite just being a good but not great run/jump athlete .

He only shot 34% from the college line but he's being projected as a great NBA 3p shooter. This is a red flag. His shooting motion is incredibly slow, it's a very nice shot, but it's very slow, so his shot gets contested more than you'd expect. But his midrange jumper is Tobias Harris-esque, he can start a drive and pull up into it at will (Anyone can, but you get my meaning). Tobias Harris esque in this case is a good thing. As a 4, he's again very Tobias Harris esque, he gets short jumpers that he makes easily over power forwards. HOWMEVER, he played the 3 as 4 role for Duke and might not get looks so easily in the NBA. That's a concern. Justise Winslow certainly looked like a much better scorer for Duke than he does now, in the same role, albeit as a very different player. The other problem with a Rudy Gay comp is that young Rudy Gay was a super athlete, people were saying "COULD HE BE THE NEXT LEBRON" because he had the body, the strength, the speed. Jayson Tatum is not the next Lebron.

He either looks like a really smooth scorer or nothing at all. He is not in the same galaxy as Fultz as a prospect. Fultz fits the NBA PNR everything pg mold perfectly, a little too perfectly, that's the only real mark against him other than consistent defensive effort. You have to be suspicious when someone is the next someone who's good right this minute, because they're not, nobody is anybody else except terrance ferguson who is terrence Ross but maybe worse.

In a vacuum, do the Caeltycs need a wing who can produce his own offense? Yes. Does this mean they know Gordog Hayward is re-signing in Utah? Yes, probably. I think he'll be productive as a 4 against bench players, mirroring Tobias Harris. Can he be a 20ppg scorer if he makes open jump shots created through Brad Stevens's offense, possibly. They've played so few true small forwards that I had to scratch the back of my mind to remember what 6'8 wings look like running Brad Stevens's offense, not 6'5 shooting guards without jumpers.

Ainge doesn't want to be ridiculed for taking a (probably very probably )better version of the guy who he took before prudence would have had him, in Jaylen Brown, last year. Jorsh Jackson has all the upside. But drafting another 4 who is now a three, rather than a 3 who did-play-4 would also limit choices for the next draft which might be big heavy.

Tatum is a compromise, the result of a lot of wishy washy decision making, they want to keep vying to be the second best team behind the Cavs while building a young core, they don't want to stack positions while leaving others unfilled. Drafting for need instead of bpa is a frightening prospect, especially since they already traded down. It's not the NFL. Even if Josh Jackson could bust hard if his jumper doesn't work, rulin g him out because Jaylen Brown showed flashes of competency is incredibly rash. And the way everyone universally flipped to Potatytum says that he is (PROBABLY) the pick.

Isaiah Thomas will definitely be re-signed.

In the end Taytum is a good scoring wing who probably got more points than his talent would have allowed was he not playing the 4. Scoring wings are always in demand. They're like centers, if you don't have one, you really really want one. Even if they don't pass, you want em bad, real bad. His ceiling is probably twice as low as Josh Jackson, but don't worry, there are more picks, and more picks, and more picks, more picks, they're almost going to trade for Kevin Durant, they're might be trading for Klay Thompson, they have a package and New Orleans is ready to Move On from Anthony Davis, etc

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 19, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Con Air is great and Life is a very funny movie, Bernie Mack, ahhh mwahh finger kiss. I think transformers 3 was the least bad of all of those awful awful movies. Rosie Huntington Whitely was strutting around with her face stuffed like a trick or treat bag at 8 pm with dermal fillers

WhyteRyce posted:

Bloodsport vs Kickboxer. Opinions.

Bloodsport, man, come on
The compound fracture, the flashbacks, the accent, it's a perfect film. Just think of Jean Claude in his racerback tanktop, baby oil glistening as he does the splits. A work of art. Inspired the legendary fighter from the first Mortal Kombat tournament, Johnny Cage.

Kickboxer, just a fun B movie.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 19, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Portland has so many loving first round picks. You have to assume they trade at least one and maybe two.

I hate Luke Kennard to the Pistons, unathletic wings are scary, they spook me. Players with his run/jump athleticism as NBA starters are rare. I can think of D'angelo Russel, JJ Red Dick and younger Kyle Korver, otherwise you're thinking backups like Nik Stauskas and Tyler Ennis. That means he has to be an elite shooter and a very good playmaker to ever be a starter. Is he?

I'd rather play it safe and go Mitchell or Collins (bleh)/mybe trade with portland and get Anuboby and Hartenstein if they don't like anyone who's mocked 11-14. Mitchell isn't a prototypical starter, but he'd make their bench better and be KCP insurance. i have the same reservations about him now as I did when he rose after combine measurements, but guys with his physical profile tend to do well, and he looks decent on video.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Also, Ched Ferd saying the Celtics are taking Jackson makes moving down to three much more defensible. At least he has all NBA potential

morestuff posted:

Mitchell was apparently outstanding on open threes in college. I don't really see how he becomes a star but he seems like a pretty safe bet to be a good three + D guy.

He seems to work very well as a complimentary player, but he's not helpless with the ball, he just seems solid

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

was there anything in any public Jokic scouting report that hinted he might be as good as he is? I want to read reports from anyone who thought he'd be good

HIs probglem was that everyone saw his slow feet and just said gently caress it. Because when he was 18he was tall and could shoot but didn't have the insane passing, ball handling and post game. He was a big slow body with high iq and a jumper. He really developed every facet of his game

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

rabidsquid posted:

Chad Ford is insinuating the Lakers are dangling Russell and are interested in Kennard or Zach Collins. i know Collins is a bit divisive and the Pistons are "loaded" (lmao) at the F/C spot but man i would love to get something in the event of another team jumping on the Kennard grenade for SVG

edit: also theres a lakers fan having a meltdown in the mentions of the tweet where Ford said this: https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/876996442434535424

Kennard for D'angelo Russel would be such a loving steal both in raw talent terms and team construction.
They don't have to worry about Reggie and his destroyed knees, Ish can take his natural place as a dynamic third pg who cannot make a shot, and they have their long term pg, who makes shots off the dribble, and opens up everything for Drummond, for Pope, for Jonny Leueur in the corner. He might be a bit slow and a snitch but oh my gorsh it takes pistons from ehh maybe playoff team to a hey this team might have some upside team.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Chad Ford's "best picks for every team" mock fits what people in this thead have been saying a lot more than the mocks trying to reflect team choices. I wonder what that means

morestuff posted:

How much weight do you put on player development in all this? It's the most obvious reason I can think of for teams like the Spurs that "draft well," but at the same time as an outsider it's kind of hard to suss out what exactly they're doing differently. Best guess is some combo of excellent coaching and a consistent roster letting them to draft with fit as the biggest question mark.

The most visionary and intense leader can only lead the men he has. However, if you get good people and have the right culture and leadership, it's much more likely for their cumulative efforts to result in something good rather than something bad.

There are wide swathes of draft where the Spurs found no diamond in the rough. You can say Duncan came as a good luck result of wise tanking, Parker and Ginobli came because the team had a more developed international presence than other teams. Those gaps are in large degree closed. So they have the best shooting coach. Or do they have a good shooting coach and an eye for players who will accept coaching, and run offenses that put baby bird three point shooters into the easiest position (wide open in the corner) so that they can gain confidence in new mechanics?

There's so much intangible poo poo.
Once you get past adjusted college stats, physical measurements, you're relying on your assessment of a player as a person and as a collection of talents, and perhaps imagining what they someday could be. Then there's work with individual development coaches and work with trainers. Even then, players need to put in a position to succeed, it's a team, the team is a team, the coaches work as a team, the front office works as a team.

Can you look into the depths of a man's soul by watching college games, having a workout, and then speaking to him face to face, and know he's going to add more to his game, adjust to adjustments, and not let becoming a millionaire gently caress up the drive that brought him to that position?

Maybe yes, maybe no, maybe maybe

All they can do is stack up their collected wisdom and reach into the sack, hopefully come out with the right man in their grasp.

Kawhi Leonard's hands are loving huge

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 20, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

Baynes opted out so it's only four I think.

Oh so Serbs aren't white anymore
You must be on the Ustasha payroll

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

I knew everyone was wrong for laughing at the Jaylen Brown pick when I saw his shorts. You have my blessing Noobie
Beautiful shorts, awful hair, both need to be taken to a barbershop circa 2002 and get everything lined up and short.

xbilkis posted:

Are people starting to suggest Boston should take Isaac at #3 because he's actually worth it, or just because his flaws are more subtle (and less broadly discussed) than Jackson/Tatum

Isaac has TREMENDOUUUUuUUUUSSs UPSIiiIIIDEEEEEE maybe even a little more than Jorsh Jeckson depending on who you ask. He is big, long, and athletic, he has a very good jum pshot. There is a hope that he can also dribble and pass, which he's shown in flashes. He played prretty good defense, despite being very skinny, at florida state

It's probably more likely that Jonathan Isaac becomes a well rounded player than Josh Jackson becomes a 40% 3p shooter.

Josh Jackson's "tearing apart a woman's car as she cowers inside, as if he was a grizzly bear" feels a lot like roid rage, so at least we know he's going to stay strong and fit. :siren: UNFAIR :siren:

I don't have the draft pick winshares chart handy, but I think Josh Jackson has the most superstar potential, Isaac has the strongest chance to be a really important Lamar Odom/Igoudala esque (not a comp) piece on a championship team, and Tatum has the best chance to score 20 points per 36 minutes in his rookie season and dramatically overrate his own importance, and have to be humbled by a trade to become the solid scoring 3 as 4 he was born to be. Josh Jackson's bad outcome is a player like MKG or Stanley Johnson but 10x faster, Isaac as a disappointment is like a skinny 2017 Ibaka who has more ball skills and passing., . Tatum as a disappointment is a sort of Michael Beasley type of multi level scorer who overestimates how important he is until he's suddenly in China, humbled, he returns as a bench gunner. Note I used "disappointment" not "bust"

Josh Jackson as a bust would be any of a litany of super athlete wings who failed to develop jumpers and slowly faded in minutes until they were gone. Isaac as a bust would be like Noah Vonleh but not as bad. Tatum as a bust is Beasley before he came back from China

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 22, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I think you're on to something, although I think it's important that people remember Florida State basically was the perfect situation for Issac, he was usually playing next to veteran (for college) bigs who did all the dirty work, and they ran an offense where any sort of contribution from him was a bonus, so they didn't really have to test him much.

I think taking Issac as what he actually is, there's a significant larger amount of risk, he's very raw. Both Tatum and Jackson had bigger expectations, and met those expectations for the most part, and have more defined roles going into the NBA. But drat that length is impressive. And sometimes that shot goes in.
Ahg this keeps cutting my posts up. Since playmaking 4, stretch 4 entered the NBA vocabulary, there has been of legacy of misses in the lottery. Pure stretch 4's don't usually come out of college, and teams can imagine jumpers that don't exist (Henry Ellenson, Noah Vonleh)
Porzingis is a hit, and, mm do you want to say yes to Harrison Barnes? For his spot, sure.

Then you have a lot of guys drafted after the lottery or in the second round who developed a shot along with good defense. Otherwise you have college threes who were shifted up a position.

HOWMEVER, the longer the archetype exists, the more players and coaches will play to it and the more BLUE CHIP stretch fours will be drafted and play well. Is Jonathan Isaac number 2 after Porzingis??? Who loving knows. His video is about as telling as zach Collins, which is to say, not at all telling

This is all moot if you want to consider Anthony Davis, Karl Towns, etc power forwards, but everyone knew they were centers with a vanity pf label, like Tim Duncan

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 22, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Yeah definitely. I think a lot of it is sample size. Most of the guys touted as stretch bigs spent very little time doing that in college, so people are basically trying to turn a guy who was a traditional PF in college, who hit a three a few times a game, into full time stretch bigs and it just isn't happening (to beat an old drum again, this is partly why Markkanen is so interesting because he basically actually played a very NBA-style big-that-sometimes-stretches role in college). I'm also nervous of guys like Collins and Issac who were heavily protected on their teams from doing stuff to make them look bad. You almost need to see what a guy looks like when it's not easy, especially for bigs.

Lauri's jumper is interestingly like Josh jackson's in the initial phase and then Markannen has the ball in the net by the time jackson is finally releasing the ball. Josh Jackson's shot is very fast initially and then incredibly slow, I think NBA teams will scout that and devour it. He's got a ton of work to do.
Markannen reminds me a bit of Lamargasoldridge without the ball stopping. He gets the ball in the flow of the offense, pulls up and it's in, before the defense has a chance to react.

Aside from the obvious, how do you field a good defense with Markannen as your C, I wonder if his poor finishing will hurt him. His dribble drives are nice, but if the ball doesn't go in, they're a lot less threatening.

I think he's less of a tough fit on defense than someone like Spencer Hawes or Frank Kaminsky, because he moves well. But his team will still need someone who's a rim running sort of 4 on offense that can protect the rim like a 5 on defense.

Lonzo Ball seems more and more like fools gold. His team will need at least 2 other plausible creators, he just gets completely stymied in a way that you do not expect from some pg as heralded as him, especially not a pass first pg. His finishing when he doesn't have a big head of steam is pathetic. He is not an athlete. All the LA people crossing their fingers for Ball may have obtained him in a monkey's paw scenario where he's the middle class man's Ronnie Brewer.

Actually, you know what Ball in the half court reminds me of ? The leaked footage of Connor McGregor boxing, where he shows the footwork that a 15 year old amateur boxer would laugh hysterically at. He's shuffling and bending over himself and reaching the basket with no momentum and no strength.

Dennis Smith: Seeing him create something out of absolutely nothing against packed paint, despite the doubts of his wingspan, is really encouraging. His ball handling and finishing remind me of a combination of Isaiah Thomas and Damian Lillard, while being a bit bigger and a lot more athletic than Lillard. He gets low and just slices through a set defense. He's going to be a really good NBA player.

Fultz has such an interesting way of handling the ball, it reminds me of the sort of frightening first step of Lebron, a Chris Paul hesitation, a kyrie Wonkiness, and a Dirk wobble once he's near the rim that makes defenders wonder which hand he'll use to finish

Isaac was made to look out of his depth against duke, against inferior athletes. Taytum is much slower but he managed to push and wiggle around him several times. His nascent ball handling is still very nascent. I have no idea how you project that. It's nice that he at least has the beginnings of something, but that's all. People keep calling Isaac a future good role player, and if his handle stays that way, and he's always off ball, I think that will be true.

The more Taytum I watch the more Tobias Harris I see. taytum really needs to speed up his jumper, he needs to learn how to handle the ball, and he needs to pass the ball to open teammates.

About Fox's awful 3p shooting. He made dead open shots, the gently caress you, you suck at shooting, we're not even going to contest shots, when he could square up and follow through without subconsciously being bothered by his hair. This is bare minimum competency we should expect from a "high ceiling" NBA pg propsect. Worrying, thoguh. I promise not to say the words.

Other random thoughts: Ojeleye, where he's currently mocked could be a steal as a high level role player if he learns to do role player stuff and how to finish.
Jawun Evans is a little canonball but his hands are tiny, which worries me.

Donovan Mitchell is who I'm leaning toward, for Detroit, there's a lot he does that's not at all impressive. A lot. But there are chunks of his offense that remind me of a shrunken kevin durant, meaning he's leveraging his ridiculous arms to move through the defense in a way that's very difficult to cope with. There is promise there, a lot of uncertainty as well. As I started before, the measurements guy who rises late is always a frightening pick. At least he had a decent steal and block rate.

Zach Collins looks like a much better defender than offensive player, on video. A ton of his post touches look like they'd be blocked or missed against NBA length. Everything else is a shrug

Harry Giles looks like he could be a future tough guy garbage man if he never gets back his athleticism and those high school skills don't appear in the NBA

Kurucs looks like he could play in the NBA if he adjusts to length, he has a good feel for the game, but very little explosiveness. context dependent career

Pasecniks has been credited with moving really fluidly, he seems like a taller version of the less stocky plumlees, that sort of decent center who can run the floor. Who knows what will translate.

Other guys the Pistons might draft: Jarret Allen is exciting and raw as a craw. Not as athletic as advertised. Kennard's shooting off the dribble is awesome, but will he be able to get that quick shot off against NBA defenses keying in on him, especially since his handle and drives are so makeshift?

The pistons have no 2nd round pick but if they did I bet a billion dollars they would have used it on Alec Peters.

If I was Stanley Vandy Gundy I'd pay the full 3m for a 2nd round pick to get Edmond Sumner who looks like a little gazelle who was just born and is being taught basketball. He's incredible with space. He seems like a great 2 way contract player, so he can use his athleticism to get wide open shots and improve his confidence while he works on his mechanics. And so he can get used to being a shut down defender, when his shot isn't working, to open up that mean transition game.

Those are some random dribbling and shot related thoughts

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Lmao Ball as McGreggor is wonderful on many levels. The fans in LA are so disconnected in the same way some UFC fans are. I just don't understand how we have come this far with most people not examining Ball at all. For the posts about people being too hard on him for his dad my it actually looks like it gave him perfect cover.

I think the Spurs and Mavs have demonstrated that if your big really really tries, you can end up having a good defense even if he is not a great defender. I think Lauri at the very least is going to try.

Ojeleye is interesting to me, too. I am hoping the Lakers take him if he is still there, but I toyed with mocking him fairly high because the wings after Kennard are all risks.

Love your description of Fultz as basically the Megazord/Voltron of good offensive players.

I totally agree on Fox but man his personality is really infectious. I'm starting to really root for his haircut. If the Lakers chose him instead of Ball I'd wish I could backflip.

He teleports with the basketball. There is a chance he's some John Wall in a skinny body little magic man. I'm not going to say the word but I'm dying to see he and Jackson with the word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szy5vqpKL4Q
There were so many times vs UCLA, admittedly not the most athletic team, that Fox looked like he was able to freeze time for 3 seconds and do what he wanted before any Bruin caught up to the play. Fox made Ball look like some random coach's son over and over.

There are fast pgs in the NBA, Kyrie can cover the court at lightning speed with the ball, but I think Fox might be faster. He is both faster, quicker, and more explosive than Dennis Schröder (similarly-sized player with shooting deficiency). He'll need all that if he doesn't do the unspoken thing.

I have no feel for his passing, because a dump off to Malik Monk isn't a high difficulty thing.

To give lonzo credit, he did make open threes on those half court plays where the ball found its way to the paint, back out to someone else and then to lonzo standing there all alone. He'll need those.

• Locked thread