Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is Justin Jackson this draft's obvious trap pick or could he be ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

People are mocking him to the Hornets which seems lazy but after Frank Kaminsky I have no room for criticism. As long as they end up with one of the non-Jackson guards or wings I'd be happy but I guess a high-floor guy is fine

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

As I said earlier, your feeling on the UNC Jackson is going to depend on whether or not you buy him suddenly shooting 10% better from 3 being sustainable. The biggest reason he fell in the first place was that he never developed as a shooter the way people hoped he would out of high school. He is now but generally it's right to be suspicious of sudden dramatic improvement late in your college career when you're older than most of the people you're playing against

Is he a better athlete than he looks from the clips I've seen? Granted most of those are showing off his shot but he looks average for a pro prospect

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hopefully Charlotte holds on to the 11th spot and doesn't get stuck with Lauri. It feels like there's a drop-off right after there.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

Markkanen is maybe the most decisive player in the draft, but I stand by my opinion that he's gonna be one of the three best players in the draft.

But even with that decisiveness he's not going to fall to 11.

Hornets just don't need a big man. I'm not that picky, provided one of Tatum, Monk, Fox, Smith, Isaac or Ntilikina fall to them I'd be happy. Bridges and Lauri are the only guys in the range I'm iffy on.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Is Isaac the standard "big dude, long arms, who knows" guy? Watching clips he reminds me of Vonleh from a few years back

Edit: I guess Vonleh was 50 pounds heavier so, uh nevermind

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I think what reminded me the most of Vonleh is that they're both smooth athletes as opposed to explosive. It's impressive seeing a guy that tall look coordinated but I didn't really get the sense that he'll stand out against NBA bigs

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

That kind of fucks the Hornets unless someone falls in love with Collins, drat

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Did Giles look cooked when he came back for the tournament?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

He looked cooked all year. I get the potential thing but it's really weird some people have him rising

I had no idea he played all season. I remember seeing GILES IS BACK stuff in March but I guess that was just because he blocked a shot or something

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Embiid's a blast, hopefully he sticks around.

I saw PJ Dozier just hired an agent, he might have had a chance to sneak into the first round in 2016 but things are too stacked this year. His stock's probably never going to be higher, though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

There's probably some gamesmanship going on too, why tip your hand if you might end up at no. 2

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Via Chad Ford's latest Big Board:

quote:

Collins continues to quietly move his way up boards as more and more scouts watch video and come away impressed. I've actually yet to find a scout who doesn't think he's a top-10 pick. His limited role at Gonzaga (combined with a lack of hype coming into the draft) does appear to keep his stock a little lower.

Collins going in the top 10 would be a godsend for Charlotte, assuming it's not Markkanen he pushed out

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

Collins is the only other big besides Markkannen who isn't a project, so top 10 isn't that bad. But, Collins isn't better than Poeltl was last year, though, so that should kind of commentate what kind of draft this is for bigs.

Collins is a player I wouldn't mind in the abstract but A) I don't know if you can justify spending a top 10 pick on a (non-God tier) big that doesn't shoot threes these days and B) I couldn't root for a team that had him, Cody Zeller, Frank Kaminsky and Miles Plumlee under contract

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ford's also saying Giles might sneak into the 5-10 range if he's cleared by doctors, which sounds crazy. I assume that'd push out Markkanen or Isaac which would be cool

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I like the Marvin Williams comp for Isaac, but it's kind of uninspiring for a top-10 guy. I guess you'd be paying for upside in case he gets much better off the dribble

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

"Longer Harrison Barnes" is a better "I hope" I think, though Marvin Williams would still be a pretty good pickup with a #6. Isaac is becoming my Timberwolves hopeful, as I think he could add much needed defense at the 3 and play some 4 alongside KAT or Dieng.

All I'm going off is highlight YouTubes and DX stuff but he seems way more like a modern PF to me

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hornets get No. 1, take Frank Mason III

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ty1990 posted:

The more I read about Frank the more I think of Patrick Beverly.

I'm thinking a less athletic young Shaun Livingston with a jumper

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

LaVar and Vivek are a match made in heaven, imagine all the disruption they could bring to the business of basketball

Lonzo can be the cherry-picker and average 50 a game

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This is the worst of all possible worlds

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

#5 probably means Kings are getting Fox unless Vlade thinks he can be coy and take Tatum and hope Smith or Frank are there at #10

I'm happy it broke out this way for the Kings since it feels more likely Frank is still there at 11

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

For a second I thought you were talking about Frank Mason at 10, that's what Vivek has done to the Kings, bring back the Maloofs.

The French dude's last name looks like the phonetic spelling of insect noises so Frank is easier

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Would Donovan Mitchell be too much of a reach at 11? Size isn't great but the 6'10" wingspan makes up for that a it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

If the Hornets get Fox I'll marry you Rick

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm surprised Texas hasn't done better in the one-and-done era. I'd love to spend a year in Austin loving around and eating migas

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Starting to get a little hopeful that Issac might slide. Magic need a scorer, Mavericks already have a SF/PF hybrid in Barnes and a hole at PG, Kings have Marquese Chriss. The Knicks are a question mark, he'd be an interesting fit next to Kristaps but they could really go any direction.

Minnesota's his best fit, right?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Metapod posted:

They do not

Duh, confused my project big men. Meant Skal Labissiere, who's obviously a little more replaceable.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Skal was striaght up better than Chris last year.

It's still an easier sell to double up on a 28th pick vs. a top-10 guy, though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ButtWolf posted:

I think Frank will be avail at 10. Probably. Do you risk it though?

Most of the latest mock drafts have Frank locked in at 8 or 9 and Lauri slipping, though DX has him at 11.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

euphronius posted:

Is ball still going 2 in most?

Yeah. ESPN, DX, SI, CBS, SBNation, The Ringer. I think most people have a hard time imagining Magic passing on him.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

EvanTH posted:

Who's the best drafters last 5-10 years? Thunders? Spurs? Bucks?

Warriors by far

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I dunno, nailing top five picks (+Ibaka) is significantly less impressive to me than what the Warriors did. Plus Landry, Davis and Bledsoe are all picks they made on behalf of other teams as part of draft-night trades.

Has anyone seen any good scouting on Nkilitina somewhere other than DX?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uh I think you'll find that MKG and Cody Zeller are both good actually, and Frank Kaminsky has more win shares than Justise Winslow

Charlotte's definitely bottom five but the Kings post-Cousins and Orlando are up there

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Hornets' culture has been a positive under Clifford, but apparently when it comes to the draft there's a lot of (terrible) voices in the room

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Og is #10 in that Ringer draft primer too. Either of those to are probably our guys at #10....or Justin Jackson :(

Justin Jackson seems like the obvious gag gift around that spot so I'd be happy if he wasn't there to tempt Charlotte. I could see him being a Rodney Hood type though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I mean I'd be thrilled if Smith was there at 11

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's a loving fumble fingers and a foul machine. It's going to take ages for him to move from backup energy big to anything else, if he ever does. He's a Biyombo esque dude, it took Bismack 7 years to learn how to catch a ball and then he forgot how after one season. At least Ike can catch Alley oops and has big hands. That's his only offensive skill.

All of the bigs after Markannen are huge question marks, except Isaiah Hartenstein who's going to be a superstar. I'm warming up to John Collins even he doesn't have a 7'5 wingspan, he's an offensive pf who will help a team score a lot, maybe on the bench and maybe not. He seems like a pretty solidly formed player. You'd hope for him to develop on defense, but put him on your bench and they'll probably score more points.

The more condensed games I watch the less I feel certain about any of them. I still need to watch the combine measurement tools rising guys to see if they have what it takes

Unless you think he'll go before Lauri, Zach Collins feels like a slam-dunk to at least be a boring but useful low-usage big that can defend and rebound

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

Which one of Zach Collins, TJ Leaf and Tyler Lydon are Charlotte going to draft at 11?

I'd actually be pretty happy with Collins, maybe even over Lauri, but if they draft a white dude way too early it's definitely going to be Kennard

A big man reach obviously doesn't make much sense because they have so much invested in Miles Plumlee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'd be fine with taking Lauri and trying to ship Frank off for a replacement-level wing but the ghost of that Boston deal means that they'll probably never let go

• Locked thread