Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rick posted:

Yeah they started off calling Fultz a defensive stopper which is super silly. He has the physical tools to be maybe but he's an awful defender at the moment. I just didn't want to get nitpicky since I already post too much in this thread anyway.

never stop draftposting brother, you gotta post about the draft even when you're only posting about the draft in your heart brother

quote:

I don't think so but he was extremely hyped out of high school so maybe that's hidden in him somewhere.

You will occasionally get late bloomers that don't do (as) well in college for various reasons but they usually at least show some flashes of what made them so promising to begin with

It's also worth mentioning that even though Aussie basketball is lovely competition, Ferguson is putting up okayish numbers against more physically mature players despite not being able to dribble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ball is tall and has good vision and hey Kyle Anderson has carved out a niche for himself so why can't Ball

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I think most shooting coaches aren't going to want to deconstruct a shot that goes in pretty regularly. That's why dudes like Kevin Martin and Shawn Marion got to keep their hideous looking jumpers for so long. At best you'll probably see it become more consistent and with a faster release (if that's possible) but even then it'll be an incremental thing.

Fox, on the other hand, would probably be building his shot from the ground up

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ball is way way better than Kyle Anderson was in college and has the advantage of actually being fast enough to be a point guard in the NBA. I'm just thinking worst case scenario (which would be something like post knee-injury Shaun Livingston I guess)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I mean there are rookies who are good and contribute right away, and you'll even have super efficient dudes come out of the gate (Faried comes to mind) but generally speaking most rookies are going to be inefficient as they adjust to the pace of the NBA, and they are invariably bad defenders outside of blocks or steals

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You can find shooters in free agency, you can't find a Josh Jackson in free agency

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Trash

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

If I were Philly I'd go BPA (Josh Jackson unless Magic comes to his senses) and then try to pick up a secondary ball handler/shooter in free agency. It doesn't make sense to reach for a PG at 3 so unless Ball or (god forbid) Fultz falls to them, they should focus on taking the best player they can and worry about fit later.

Plus they're trading Okafor for Klay which will fix all of their issues

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Niwrad posted:

I don't watch a ton of college basketball but why is Ball ahead of Fox on almost every mock draft. I know it's one game but Fox absolutely clowned him and looked like a much better player when they went head to head.

Ball's tall and looks very good on the fast break and can hit open jumpers. He's actually a good prospect, dad aside. He won't tumble far past the Lakers if they pass on him

Rick posted:

That athleticism is impressive but man his footwork is awful.

I assume whoever's drafting him will probably have him focus on face-up stuff and drives. Post-ups and isos din't really fit in with high pace offenses so unless the Spurs or Jazz try to grab him I doubt it'll be a huge issue

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I'm at work right now plus I'm super lazy buuuut look at his defensive stance and compare it to his standing height. If he can get low and still contest shots then it's not a huge deal

Like if Monk is contesting people and they can see over him, red flag, if they can't then he's probably fine

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

No, it wouldn't have. How dare you. Ugh.

Buddy Hield and a 2017 and 2019 first

Dany Ainge does it again

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sixers might be better served taking Tatum or Monk at 3 and then trying to trade back into the first if Frank falls

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Considering PG is about the least important position, defensively, it shouldn't really be surprise to anyone. Like, I understand that it's hard not to fall in love with hustle, active hands, good feet, and long arms, but all the elite teams have at least 2 pressure releases that even if your PG is playing great denial, they'll just inbound or pass it to one of the other ballhandlers they have.

Is the only utility for an all-D no-O PG these days contributing to feasting on lovely teams?

I mean if you can at least hit a wide open 3 once in a while or pass really well or just handle the ball somewhat decently, they can find a place for you on a roster. As long as defense isn't literally your only skill (like ONLY) then someone will probably give you 15 minutes a game just to disrupt an offense.

In theory if you were a good enough defender you could probably make a difference without contributing on offense as a PG but it's hard to think of players like that. Like I guess if Gary Payton had two bottles of Olde English duct taped to his hands he still would've gotten solid minutes

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Andre Robeson is the only guy I can think of with literally no offensive skill that gets regular minutes on the perimeter and even then he used to hit a few threes and crashed the gently caress out of the boards against the Rockets

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

kiimo posted:

lol Ball Fall 2017

The Lakers are trying to smokescreen so they can trade down and grab Ball at 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ainge is trading down to stockpile assets and to keep himself from reaching for Jackson or Tatum. Tatum is more ready to contribute now but Jackson might end up as the best player in this draft.

Realistically it just keeps anyone from ever actually evaluating how he's doing as a GM because he can keep pointing towards the future. It's a good deal for both sides in theory but I just don't know when the Celtics are going to stop stockpiling assets and actually start trying to build a contender. Like, you earned the first seed in the East, it's time to actually formulate a plan and stop hoping you end up with the first five picks in 2023

• Locked thread