Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Whenever I import this class to NBA 2k16, Josh Jackson becomes a multi-year MVP/DPOY.

So he should go #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

Lonzo Ball does not have the look

c'mon, ball's right in his name

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

gonna need a link to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58VzJYTZpVM

Yeah I'm on team Lonzo now

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It was a bad joke about him being ugly, he's good at ball

Yeah dude kinda looks like a cross between Lil nicky and dake

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lonzo Ball is extremely my poo poo

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

am I the only one who thinks that with those bizarre mechanics, Ball's 3pt shot is fools gold when it comes to the NBA level? it's just so loving weird.

I think he will be considerably worse off the dribble in the NBA because defenders are way quicker and since the release point is so low it will probably get blocked a lot. Though he's really tall for a PG so his height advantage may lessen that. I think he will be great off the ball, though. I honestly think he is the perfect PG to play with Ben Simmons in theory.

This is literally the best draft class possible for the 76ers right now, it's kind of funny. They will almost certainly be able to walk away with one of Ball/Fultz/Jackson and one of Smith/Monk/Tatum/Fox. Not that those guys are guarenteed to hit, but there is like a 0% chance they are forced to take a big they don't have minutes for.

e: WAIT I DIDN'T REALIZE ALL THE BALLS ARE RELATED

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Yes, especially since he will much up the spacing which is the only reason they sixers are scoring more than 85 points a game.

Oh yes, because Saric and Covington space the floor so well.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Also Saric and cov do have some gravity so I'm not sure what your comment means honestly.

Robert Covington has about as much Gravity as pluto. He's shooting .350/.290

Having a person who can create from the perimeter and draw defenders into the high post will space the floor way more than Saric and Covington do.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

I'd agree with you if they had guards who shoot threes. Tj McConnell can not.

The 3 guards who play the most minutes are shooting a combined 38% on 10.7 attempts per game.

They also have this guy named Joel Embiid who shoots really well from 3. Illyasova is no starting and won't be affected by Ben Simmons because you're going to flush Covington's garbage minutes down the drain, not his.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

So you think it's going to be what Sergio , Henderson , Simmons , ilyasova , embiid?

I'm not following you .

No, I'm refuting your point that Simmons is going to gently caress up the spacing for the 76ers, when in fact he is going to help it.

e: and yeah, they will probably run that lineup a bunch. The point of spacing is to open things up for the Primary ball handler and allow penetration, which collapses the defense and opens up those shooters. Ben Simmons is the primary ball handler in this scenario. It doesn't so much matter that Simmons, in theory, cannot shoot in this scenario.

The real problem that inserting Simmons creates is on the defensive end, because they will have 2 guys who probably should be defending Power Forwards.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 5, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I realize you're being dramatic on purpose, but in no way will he "be able to score at will" because there are maybe like 8 guys in the NBA who I could comfortably say could do that. I'd probably be way higher on Monk if The buddy experiment was not going so poorly right now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

I'm not seeing how Buddy's outlier shooting senior season has any impact on Monk coming in and lighting it up as a freshman.

Edit: I'm being a little bitchy. I get your point about the undersized 2 guard shooting well in college not translating to the NBA. I think Monk projects to bring a lot more to the table than Hield, he seems more athletic to me and his handle appears to be a lot better. I love Monk's transition and slashing game, but he doesn't do it too much right now because of Fox/Briscoe and the fact that he barely misses at range.

I suppose it's the basic comparison that worries me. Stock for Athletic 2s excelling against bad competition is at an all time low for me. Wing defenders are so much better in the NBA that I worry about him translating.

It's kind of dumb but if he literally checked one more box I'd feel more comfortable. Not only is he short, he also has a short wingspan, cannot really run an offense (even pretend to), rebounds poorly.

That being said he is still an interesting prospect, but I'd feel way more comfortable taking him 10ish than 5-6.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Taking Jackson over Fultz, Ball, or Smith would be really, really stupid.

Also I wouldn't touch Giles with a 10 foot pole at this point.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

His wingspan been measured anywhere from 6'3 (yikes) to 6'6 so idk I will keep his defense in my thoughts and prayers

Obviously we have to wait until official stuff comes out, but he certainly looks like he's closer to 6'3" than 6'6"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The second you are a consensus first round pick, the intelligent thing is to leave for the NBA. We're talking about pure opportunity cost, the risks greatly outweigh the positives of staying for 1-3 more years of college.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't Ball also incapable of shooting from within the three point line?

He shoots .667 percent for 2s while taking 4 a game. An important thing to remember about Lonzo is that he actually does not take a lot of shots for UCLA. He only Averages 9.4 a game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Slow work day so I'm reading about some of the late-draft international talent and came across this guy:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/michael-fusek

7'5" and 220lbs. :drat:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spacebump posted:

People that pay attention to CFB. What is wrong with Tacko Fall? I would think a 7 foot 6' tall man would at least be in the 2nd round of mock drafts.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18473661/ucf-knights-tacko-fall-road-relevancy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAsvdxLvk0g

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MourningView posted:

The thing is he's really really good at everything else, so even if he has to rework his shot you can still get value out of him. He's super athletic and by far the best passer in the draft.

He can still hit shots if he is not guarded. That's the reason why people like Rubio and MCW are bad. Ball will hit shots you leave him open for.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This dude is already flopping at an NBA all-star level.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Khagan posted:

The highlights of that game were mostly him standing inside the opposition half for easy layups.

A future Sacramento King.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MourningView posted:

He probably would have but no one was especially thrilled with it. Everyone hated that draft.

Mason Plumlee is the 3rd best player in that draft by winshare.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Hasn't dokmo said the opposite?

If I remember correctly, Mocks at the time had him all over the place, anywhere from top 3 to in the low 10s.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I can't wait for Grayson Allen to be drafted by the Celtics in the 2nd round, flair out in 2 years and then spend the rest of his life playing in China.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Like literally what is the point of Harry Giles. Does anyone think he's going to have a career?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

They're 2 games out of the playoffs and just added a major talent. They will almost certainly make the playoffs

Almost certainly is a huge overstatement. They probably would need to win like 15/16 games out of their remaining schedule to make it, which would be 15-10 in their finals games. Their wing and guard rotations are really, really bad.

They literally have 4 guards on their roster right now.

Jrue Holiday
Etwuan Moore
Tim Frazier
Quincy Poindexter just kidding he's dead

At least two of those guys need to be on the court at all times for them for 25 games.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 21, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kibner posted:

Pondexter isn't playing this year, fyi.

RIP

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'm ready for the Omri Casspi Shooting Guard experiment.

They really need to do something if they want a chance to make the playoffs.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lmao why would you even want to play for the lakers at this point.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ty1990 posted:

Somebody earlier brought up Josh Jackson's shooting being a red flag because his fair 37% from 3 doesnt match up with his bad 55% from the line...but isn't it a huge positive that he's gotten so much better from deep as the season has gone on?

People have posted before that FT% is a better indicator of NBA 3p% potential and I'm inclined to believe them. The difference between the NBA and college 3 point line is quite startk. Shooting 37% from college, and having to move back 3 feet is a huge deal and the fact that he can't even make 60% of his free throws does not fill me with a lot of confidence that he will be able to do it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'd take Jackson over anyone not named Ball or Fultz. And I could probably be convinced he's a better prospect than Ball.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Khagan posted:

NBA coaching should improve both of these percentages though.

I mean, most bad free throw shooters will stay bad free throw shooters for their entire careers. Three point shooting can be improved more easily. But expecting a dude who shoots 17% to become passable is a bit of a fools errand.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Khagan posted:

Didn't think bad FT shot mechanics could be that hard to correct.

You'd think that but years of evidence suggests otherwise.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kibner posted:

They mean jump shooter. He's always been a terror shooting at or close to the rim.

Fun fact, Lebron is shooting 77% at the rim this year!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Is LiAngelo Ball even considered a real NBA prospect? I didn't realize he was in college next year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MourningView posted:

No, he's the bad one

His dad should probably be posturing for a chinese shoe deal for him, then!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

On the other hand, getting paid $60k to play in the G-League™ is better than getting paid nothing to 'go to school'.

D league players make nowhere near that, dude.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah he looked like Riff Raff for a while

Yeah, Kevin love has always looked like a bizarro mix and match between Riff Raff and Mike Posner.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

I honestly have no idea who the Sixers should draft if they don't get #1.

Also, Dejan I have found myself super on the Dennis Smith bandwagon lately as well. It's like the lower people slot him in the media the higher I put him on my board.

They are literally filled with garbage at the 1-3 positions. they can draft almost anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'd imagine you can be a great pnr player in college while being nowhere near an NBA athlete so that's probably why.

• Locked thread